Jrry32's Pre-Combine Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know I can agree that Groy has ever played at a high level, think he was a guy ourselves and Buffalo expected to develop into something. But I do agree he's a target for us that makes sense, in that he's going to have more value to Kromer than most other OL coaches and his value is low given how he's played since Coach K left Buffalo.

Thing is, I don't see us signing him if we also get Saffold inked. IMO he's going to be in play though if Saff leaves in FA.

Groy had such a down year that I'm thinking $3 million gets him - I doubt Saffold staying changes anything about us targeting him. Especially if he does come cheaper than Sullivan.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Groy had such a down year that I'm thinking $3 million gets him - I doubt Saffold staying changes anything about us targeting him. Especially if he does come cheaper than Sullivan.

I don’t see it There is a reason he was not a Ram !! If Kromer liked him that much he would be a Ram ? Demby might be the development guy.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Groy played at a high level for Kromer in Buffalo, the Rams tried to sign him two years ago when McVay was first hired, and Groy can play all three spots on the interior. He's quality depth at C, LG, and RG.
The Rams already have Sullivan, Alan, Blithe,& The Rams already have Sullivan, Alan, Blithe, Naring who play all 3 positions.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Rams already have Sullivan, Alan, Blithe,& The Rams already have Sullivan, Alan, Blithe, Naring who play all 3 positions.

Neary sucks. Sullivan is a starter at C. Blythe is a starter at RG. Allen is the team's 7th OL (Noteboom is the 6th). Groy would be the 8th OL. Most teams carry 8 to 10 OLs. It's a very good idea to have a guy who can give you quality snaps on the bench in case of injury.

He won't even cost that imo. He cost $2.5 million per year last time. I think we could get him for less than that.

I don’t see it There is a reason he was not a Ram !! If Kromer liked him that much he would be a Ram ? Demby might be the development guy.

What? The Rams offered him a contract when he was a RFA. They wanted him. The Bills matched our offer. They had the right of first refusal, so they kept him. We had no say in it. Groy had no say in it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know I can agree that Groy has ever played at a high level, think he was a guy ourselves and Buffalo expected to develop into something. But I do agree he's a target for us that makes sense, in that he's going to have more value to Kromer than most other OL coaches and his value is low given how he's played since Coach K left Buffalo.

Thing is, I don't see us signing him if we also get Saffold inked. IMO he's going to be in play though if Saff leaves in FA.

He outplayed Wood that year:
https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/14/2017-nfl-free-agency-ryan-groy-signs-rams-bills/
He registered a 97.7 pass blocking efficiency grade from Pro Football Focus after he didn’t allow a single sack, while surrendering just ten total pressures. His 79.5 overall grade ranked third among free agent centers.

PFF's grades don't mean shit, but Groy was an above average starter at Center in Kromer's scheme (admittedly, Kromer's scheme does elevate Center play, but Kromer is here, so that's not a concern for us).

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Neary sucks. Sullivan is a starter at C. Blythe is a starter at RG. Allen is the team's 7th OL (Noteboom is the 6th). Groy would be the 8th OL. Most teams carry 8 to 10 OLs. It's a very good idea to have a guy who can give you quality snaps on the bench in case of injury.

He won't even cost that imo. He cost $2.5 million per year last time. I think we could get him for less than that.

What? The Rams offered him a contract when he was a RFA. They wanted him. The Bills matched our offer. They had the right of first refusal, so they kept him. We had no say in it. Groy had no say in it.

My point is at the time The Rams were in serious need of offensive line help. The Rams could have offered him a better deal.
Sullivan worked out so much better than Groy as a starting center. The Rams need to develop a backup that will start, not get some scrub. Will see, I could be wrong ? Personally though I can’t see it happening.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My point is at the time The Rams were in serious need of offensive line help. The Rams could have offered him a better deal.
Sullivan worked out so much better than Groy as a starting center. The Rams need to develop a backup that will start, not get some scrub. Will see, I could be wrong ? Personally though I can’t see it happening.

You do realize that the Rams offered more money to Groy than Sullivan that year right? We wanted Groy first and Sully was a backup option.

In fact, when the Rams signed Sullivan, we had zilch at center and even us fans weren't sure Sully would be the starter (or at least an effective one) - he was coming off a back injury and hadn't been very effective for a few years.

Sully worked out, so cool - except now Groy will be in play again and Sully has only gotten older while Groy is still young. If people are concerned about his recent poor play, that's already been addressed - different OL coach. And we happen to have the one who coaxed out his good play - and in fact, his recent less than stellar play is a good thing for us as he will come cheaper. Even if he doesn't ultimately make the team, having him, Sully, Blythe and Allen all under cheap contracts for camp is only a good thing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

That's not a valid argument. The Rams had a price in mind for him. They offered it. They offered him more money than they did Sullivan. They clearly did not see him as a scrub. They viewed him as a potential starter.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
That's not a valid argument. The Rams had a price in mind for him. They offered it. They offered him more money than they did Sullivan. They clearly did not see him as a scrub. They viewed him as a potential starter.

— Will see what happens, you’ve been right in different situations.Saffold decision will come first.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Not sure Warring last that long now unfortunately after the combine numbers he put up. Lots of impressive TEs this draft. Both the Iowa TEs tested ridicously well too.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure Warring last that long now unfortunately after the combine numbers he put up. Lots of impressive TEs this draft. Both the Iowa TEs tested ridicously well too.

I factored in a big combine from him when choosing him that high. It's why I didn't get greedy and pick him in the 6th round where many were projecting him. He's still likely a Round 3 guy with Hockenson, Fant, and Irv Smith at minimum all going earlier. You also have guys like Dawson Knox, Foster Moreau (who had a massive day), and Caleb Wilson who could go higher if a team likes them more.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Can't wait for the next round of mocks from @jrry32 and @Memento

We signed Fowler and Weddle and doesn't seem Groy or Poe are cap casualties or jumping onto the market.

Think that's gonna shake things up as much as anything.

Well that and the Cards outright saying that Kyler Murray is their pick at #1 which creates a cascade effect from there.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Can't wait for the next round of mocks from @jrry32 and @Memento

We signed Fowler and Weddle and doesn't seem Groy or Poe are cap casualties or jumping onto the market.

Think that's gonna shake things up as much as anything.

Well that and the Cards outright saying that Kyler Murray is their pick at #1 which creates a cascade effect from there.
Absolutely. I need more mock drafts. But not the crappy ones from news sites. The good ones from people that know what they're talking about (like all the people that come here).