Jrry32's Pre-Combine Mock Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Might as well make up for lost time with another mock before the Combine. I'm sure the Combine will change some things and give us a better read on where certain guys will go. As always, I've tried to change a few things up to expose y'all to additional options.
Cut
ILB Mark Barron

There's not much to say here. I think we're all agreed on this one. Barron stepped up in the playoffs, but we need somebody who offers more in terms of run fits.

Re-sign
OG Rodger Saffold
CB Sam Shields
ILB Bryce Hager
S Blake Countess
HB Malcolm Brown
ILB Cory Littleton - Second Round RFA Tender
CB Dominique Hatfield - ERFA Tender
RS Jojo Natson - ERFA Tender
DL Morgan Fox - ERFA Tender
CB Kevin Peterson - ERFA Tender
OLB Garrett Sickels - ERFA Tender
WR KhaDarel Hodge - ERFA Tender

I doubt there are too many surprises here. I would say the only two possible surprises are not re-signing Ndamukong Suh or Dante Fowler Jr. I think Suh wants his final multi-year contract. That will make it not feasible to bring him back. I like Fowler Jr., but I am wary of his price tag as a former top pick. I think we all expect Joyner to go.

Free Agency
AX169_221E_9.jpg

Everson Griffen OLB

It looks like Griffen will be a cap casualty after Stephen Weatherly stepped in for him this year and played solid football. Griffen had a mental health issue during the season, sought recovery, and returned to record 4.5 sacks over the second half of the season. In the previous four years, Griffen averaged 10+ sacks per year. He's a strong run stopper on the edge who is still capable of pressuring the QB. He'll be a nice player to pair with Donald.

gettyimages-630527070.jpg

Dontari Poe NT

Poe is another guy who will likely be released and won't count against the comp pick formula. He's coming off a couple of average seasons, so I think we'll able to get him on a short-term deal at a reasonable price. He's a great fit for what Wade wants in his NT, and it's possible Wade's scheme could vault him to a big season and a big contract with somebody else (which is a selling point for us). Dontari is a massive man at 6'3" 350, but he's an exceptional athlete who should do well in a scheme that lets him attack the backfield.

usa_today_10210214.0.jpg

Ryan Groy C/OG

We tried to sign Groy after the 2016 season when McVay and Kromer had just been hired. The Bills matched our offer and kept him. Groy hasn't played as well away from Kromer's system, so I think we can sign him now cheaper than what we offered a couple years ago. He'll provide quality depth at Center and Guard.

Trade
LA Rams trade Round 1 Pick #31
Jacksonville Jaguars trade Round 2 Pick #6 and Round 3 Pick #35

The Jaguars trade up for a player in the late first (possibly an OL). We get our third round pick back.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #6 - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson FS Florida

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqZmzSy0eeI

Analysis: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and Taylor Rapp are both possibilities here. I'm a big fan of both guys. I think Chauncey has more potential, so I decided to grab him. Chauncey showed flashes in 2016 and 2017 as a traditional FS. However, he was dogged by bad tackling and angles. The Gators fired their terrible coaching staff and hired an outstanding coaching staff before the 2018 season. Chauncey moved from FS to a hybrid box safety/slot CB role and thrived in Florida's defense. Chauncey was responsible for getting the secondary lined up and communicating the responsibilities in a Phillips 3-4 defense (run by Todd Grantham, who coached under Wade in Dallas). Chauncey was one of the most improved football in college football this year. His tackling and angle issues largely disappeared (he still takes a bad angle on occasion). He displayed the ability to defeat WR blocks, blitz off the edge effectively, handle man to man and zone responsibilities, and great ball-skills. In the past, Chauncey showed off legitimate range and hard-hitting ability as a FS. Solving the issues that plagued him in the past have finally unlocked the Day 1/2 potential he's always had. At 6'0" 210, CGJ has the range and ball-skills to play center-field, the instincts and tackling ability to play in the box, and the cover skills to handle just about any responsibility. His hips are too tight to play slot CB full time in the NFL, but he's perfect for the jack of all trades safeties that Wade prefers. He's also a playmaking safety who posted 286 return yards (31.8 yards per pick) and 3 defensive TDs on his 9 career interceptions (in 3 years). I'd compare him to Malcolm Jenkins.

Round 3 Pick #31 - Kahale Warring TE San Diego State

View: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25102589

Analysis: I imagine that some of y'all are going to be very confused by this pick. I actually knew nothing about Warring until a friend told me to take a look at him recently. This kid is flying way under the radar, but I expect him to jump into the Round 3/4 range after the Combine. Warring played in SDSU's old school, run-first, pro-style smashmouth offense. He has a lot of experience working as an inline blocker with the technical prowess, functional strength, and size (6'6" 250) to be effective in that role in the NFL. As it stands now, he's a solid blocker who handles LBs and DBs with his polished technical skill, outstanding body control and feet, and strong understanding of positioning; DLs give him a bit more trouble one on one because of their superior power. Still, the kid can block effectively, but that's not what excites me about him. Warring is an incredibly impressive receiving TE. He's a smooth route runner with the quickness and change of direction skills of a big WR. His routes are very crisp, and he uses his size/strength to create additional separation at the break point. Warring also possesses strong mitts, outstanding body control, and the ability to climb the ladder and win in the air. I think a guy like this will excite McVay because he has the ability block inline and be a mismatch in the slot. Warring reminds me a lot of Zach Ertz coming out of college.

Round 3 Pick #35 - D'Andre Walker ILB Georgia

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnQogSguUy4

Analysis: This is another that might surprise some people. Walker played OLB in UGA's 3-4, but I like him a lot as a 3-4 ILB. He reminds me of Dont'a Hightower. I don't see the tools for him to be a great NFL pass rusher. He doesn't get off the line well, he doesn't have the bend to turn the corner on a dime, he doesn't have an arsenal of pass rush moves or advanced pass rush plans, and his hand usage is uninspiring. That's why I don't like him at 3-4 OLB. That all said, at 6'2" 245, he's incredibly powerful and physical. He has the ability to stand up OTs, he blows up pulling OLs and fullbacks in the hole, he reads blocking schemes well and knows where to attack in the running game, and he hits hard. UGA has dropped him into coverage quite a bit. He showed a lot of comfort in zone coverage with smooth drops, and he showed the ability to turn and run with HBs in man to man coverage. He won't be an elite LB in coverage, but he has the athleticism and movement skills to hold his own. Where he'll shine for us is against the run. He's a guy who will be able to fill gaps and blow up blockers in the hole.

Round 3 Pick #36 - Chase Winovich OLB Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtMk8KU7hyI

Analysis: With all of the talent at EDGE in this class, I think Winovich is flying under the radar. He won't wow you with athleticism, but he's a relentless player who plays every down like it's his last. Winovich has a great first step, plays with outstanding leverage, has a powerful punch, use his hands well, and converts speed-to-power very effectively. He's not an edge bender, but he has the first step, balance, and leverage to threaten the corner. He has advanced pass rush plans, has great screen recognition, and plays the run well. He probably won't ever lead the NFL in sacks, but he's a guy who will play the run well, make very few mistakes, and consistently make the QB uncomfortable. I love his instincts and play demeanor. I see him sticking in the NFL for a long time as a glue guy on defense. I'd compare him to now-retired Patriots OLB Rob Ninkovich.

Round 4 Pick #31 - Easton Stick QB North Dakota State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUeQISffYCc

Analysis: Easton Stick is my favorite of the non-first round QBs this year. My gut just tells me that kid is going to outplay his draft spot. First and foremost, Stick nails all of the intangibles. He's a winner who has a 49-3 career record and led his team to two national championships. He's a smart QB coming from a pro-style offense who ran the offense from the LOS and is fast through his progressions. He maneuvers the pocket well and is very elusive in the pocket; due to his sturdy frame, underrated strength, and impressive athleticism, he's very difficult to sack. Stick has a compact release which allows him to get the ball quick and the footwork for quick setups in the passing game. He's a patient passer who will let his routes develop, is comfortable hanging in the pocket, and is tough as nails when it comes to taking hits. When he's on, Stick shows plus accuracy to all levels and parts of the field. In addition to his passing ability, Stick is a great scrambler and athlete who is more mobile than former teammate Carson Wentz imo. The negatives on Stick is that he's a streaky passer and decision maker. He also has only a middling arm. He can generate plenty of zip when he's mechanically sound, but he is going to struggle with zip when forced to throw off platform and some of the most difficult throws that Goff can hit will be tough for him. He also can hold onto the ball too long. Regardless, I love this kid for our offense. He's smart, he moves through his progressions well, he's mobile, and he is comfortable in a run-first offense working from under center. Of course, the cherry on top of everything is that Stick has the best play-action fake in this Draft. I'd compare Stick to Rich Gannon, another small-school QB with impressive athleticism, an average arm, and a whole lot of moxie.

Round 5 Pick #31 - Sean Bunting CB Central Michigan

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9M-QmXVwcc

Analysis: Bunting is an intriguing player on Day 3. He's a risk/reward pick with the skills and athleticism to be a starting CB. Central Michigan used him in a variety of coverages, and he looked capable in all of them. Bunting is a 6'0" CB with long arms who uses them extremely well when pressing. He has quality ball-skills and is quite good at using his length to get his hands on the ball. He has great short-area quickness and fluid hips, which allow him to mirror routes effectively. When he's on, he absolutely smothers WRs with his great movement skills, length, good route recognition, and natural ability to mirror. That all said, Bunting is grabby, needs to be more patient at the LOS in press (especially with his footwork), and lacks play strength. He's feisty in coverage, but he's disappointing in run support. He lacks a physical mindset, allows himself to stay glued to blocks, and tackles like its a chore. He's also a pile watcher. He's a skinny kid who needs to bulk up a bit and develop more of a physical mindset. That all said, you can't teach his athletic gifts, length, and natural cover/ball skills. Bunting has a lot of Marcus Peters in him, both the good and the bad.

Round 6 Pick #31 - Stanley Morgan Jr. WR Nebraska

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDddvbWvU&t=208s

Analysis: Stanley Morgan Jr. is our type of WR. He loves to do the dirty work. Morgan is a competitive player who takes his blocking very seriously and plays to the echo of the whistle. As a pass catcher, he's a technician who plays with a high football IQ, runs crisp routes, and can be relied on to play like a professional on every snap. Morgan Jr. is a NFL-caliber athlete, but he's not going to blow anyone away in that regard. He's also a good hands catcher, but he'll drop an occasional pass in traffic. He shows great awareness and body control along the sidelines. And he has the versatility to play both in the slot and outside. Morgan actually reminds me a lot of Robert Woods. I think Woods is a better pure athlete, but Morgan has the same approach to the game. He revels in doing the dirty work, he's a consistent route running who takes his craft seriously, and he's going to show up week in and week out as a guy who will do his job well.

Round 7 Pick #37 - Devine Ozigbo HB Nebraska

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41dixfUVd5E

Analysis: Ozigbo broke out this year in a major way after reshaping his body over the off-season. At 5'11" 220, Ozigbo is a thickly built runner. It's noticeable how thickly built his lower body is and that translates to his game. He's a powerful runner who displays great leg drive to move the pile even after he's stacked up. What excites about his game is that he is shifty at his size with nimble feet and sound footwork. Ozigbo had a very productive year largely running in zone concepts at Nebraska. He has a great feel for how to attack defenses when running behind zone blocking schemes, with great cutback recognition and impressive vision on the second level. Ozigbo has shown some inconsistencies as a pass catcher, but he had a strong week at the East-West Shrine Game there, so it's possible that could become a strength. As a blocker, Ozigbo has the size, strength, and desire. He just needs to get better with his blitz recognition and angles. Those are things that will come with experience. All in all, Ozigbo is a great fit in our system.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Brandin Cooks
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Tyler Higbee or Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Austin Blythe
RT: Rob Havenstein

5T: Michael Brockers
NT: Dontari Poe
3T: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Everson Griffen
Mo LB: Cory Littleton
Mike LB: D'Andre Walker or Micah Kiser or Bryce Hager
SOLB: Samson Ebukam
RCB: Aqib Talib
LCB: Marcus Peters
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
SS: John Johnson

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As I said on the other site I like it. Interesting you didn't change out Sullivan on this one though.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As I said on the other site I like it. Interesting you didn't change out Sullivan on this one though.

I'll see what the Rams do there. I'm not going to let him go in my mocks because it feels like McVay really values his presence. But I'm not sure he'll hold onto the starting job this year.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a winner who has a 49-3 career record and led his team to two national championships
Stick really should have 3 National championships to his credit as they forced Wentz back in to the lineup in 2015, but would have won with Stick anyway
I like a backup QB with wheels and this kid sure has that.

Ram65

Legend
Great free agent pickups. After the free agent pickups getting the safety in round 2 is a good move. Experience in the Wade defense sounds good with his improvement this year. Seems to cover all the needs and future replacement potential except offensive lineman.

Mike LB: D'Andre Walker or Micah Kiser or Bryce Hager

Not sure about the coverage ability. Hager seemed to cover good last year when he filled in. Could be a committee approach. Can't have everything.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I prefer Rapp over CGJ (CGJ's coverage, ball skills, and tackling are quite inconsistent from his sophomore and junior years, and I prefer Rapp's ability in the box against the run), but I don't mind the pick. I don't know how well Griffin will translate to a 3-4, but as I've said before, I love the Poe pickup.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I prefer Rapp over CGJ (CGJ's coverage, ball skills, and tackling are quite inconsistent from his sophomore and junior years, and I prefer Rapp's ability in the box against the run), but I don't mind the pick. I don't know how well Griffin will translate to a 3-4, but as I've said before, I love the Poe pickup.

I like Rapp a lot. He's consistent, heady, and very reliable in all phases, but CGJ improved significantly this year and offers more upside. I'm not worried about his prior years because of how bad the coaching was. I see a lot more range with CGJ and better ball skills.

st.rams

UDFA
Name
Mark
Really like this draft. Only thing I'm missing is the replacement of Sully, who shouldn't and must not start next season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really like this draft. Only thing I'm missing is the replacement of Sully, who shouldn't and must not start next season.

I'm not replacing Sullivan. If McVay and the Rams do in the next couple weeks, that will offer us the conclusive answer. Until that happens, I think they're keeping him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I love that were keeping our oline together and adding some depth with Groy.
I'm hopeful that Noteboom and Allen can eventually step in and play well, but that can wait another year.

Solidifying that front 7 has to be a key focus this offseason, you would think.

I would also seriously consider locking up Goff asap. The longer we wait, the more it will cost. That can probably wait until after the upcoming season.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
wh-wh-wh-whuuttt?? the combine is already here???

.....what happened?? did we enter a time warp or something??

LOL never had an offseason this short in my Ram fandom!! thx for the mock @jrry32, I'd love this offseason. I like the Walker tape, which showed a range of playmaking ability. Ya he'd do nicely inside, and looked like he can get off blocks.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Thanks for posting, enjoy reading, appreciate the time and effort put into doing this.

Curious about the CB class, sure looks like the Rams need depth, Talib was hurt and is a year older,and is a free agent at the end of this upcoming season along with Peters. Depth is spotty now, sure looks like the Rams need to address in the draft, could see them adding a couple of CB's, one early and one late.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I just looked at Warring's Nevada tape. I really love that pick now. His first touchdown was a crisp route where he separated from the safety. His second touchdown was amazing display as well where he high-pointed the ball and broke off into the endzone. He also had an awesome catch on third down where he high-pointed the ball.

And that's not even mentioning the job he did blocking for SDSU's running game.

I'd love to have Warring on the team, but I'm not sure what that means for Higbee.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just looked at Warring's Nevada tape. I really love that pick now. His first touchdown was a crisp route where he separated from the safety. His second touchdown was amazing display as well where he high-pointed the ball and broke off into the endzone. He also had an awesome catch on third down where he high-pointed the ball.

And that's not even mentioning the job he did blocking for SDSU's running game.

I'd love to have Warring on the team, but I'm not sure what that means for Higbee.

IIRC, Higbee is entering the final year of his deal.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
I'll see what the Rams do there. I'm not going to let him go in my mocks because it feels like McVay really values his presence. But I'm not sure he'll hold onto the starting job this year.
I don’t understand the love for Groh ?? Especially when The Rams already have 3 centers.
I also think they need to possibly look in a OL man .
My take is bring Saffold,Whitworth, & Sullivan for a final year. Then move forward next season.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t understand the love for Groh ?? Especially when The Rams already have 3 centers.
I also think they need to possibly look in a OL man .
My take is bring Saffold,Whitworth, & Sullivan for a final year. Then move forward next season.

Groy played at a high level for Kromer in Buffalo, the Rams tried to sign him two years ago when McVay was first hired, and Groy can play all three spots on the interior. He's quality depth at C, LG, and RG.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Groy played at a high level for Kromer in Buffalo, the Rams tried to sign him two years ago when McVay was first hired, and Groy can play all three spots on the interior. He's quality depth at C, LG, and RG.

I don't know I can agree that Groy has ever played at a high level, think he was a guy ourselves and Buffalo expected to develop into something. But I do agree he's a target for us that makes sense, in that he's going to have more value to Kromer than most other OL coaches and his value is low given how he's played since Coach K left Buffalo.

Thing is, I don't see us signing him if we also get Saffold inked. IMO he's going to be in play though if Saff leaves in FA.