Jrry32 Give Up the Farm for Goff Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
Tennessee doesn't really have any guys that fit needs at 1. I think a massive trade down would greatly benefit them. If they could somehow trade down to an area and get Treadwell I think they would be golden. Mariota, Treadwell, and DGB would be a nice future passing attack. If they want to address their RT situation a trade down while adding multiple picks is better than using a first for one, unless Tunsil is OP 2.0.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Okay but this assumes the Browns have all the information. Gotta keep in mind that they're working off of hearsay and rumor. They don't know if a team is trying to trade up to #1 for sure or if Tennessee is jerking their chain to get them to give up picks when they don't need to move up. Which is why I have a very hard time believing Cleveland will trade up.

Maybe, but every year the media gets info late that ends up being accurate. If they can get it most GMs should be able to. But it is Cleveland so maybe they don't.

I recall a few years ago a GM interviewed said that everyone knew that Seattle was targeting Wilson in the third round. It surprised me because I thought that stuff was top secret. A week before the last draft there were reports that the Rams are taking Gurley. I remember reports about the Rams liking Tavon, and their secret visit to Brian Quick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Maybe, but every year the media gets info late that ends up being accurate. If they can get it most GMs should be able to. But it is Cleveland so maybe they don't.

I recall a few years ago a GM interviewed said that everyone knew that Seattle was targeting Wilson in the third round. It surprised me because I thought that stuff was top secret. A week before the last draft there were reports that the Rams are taking Gurley. I remember reports about the Rams liking Tavon, and their secret visit to Brian Quick.

I have no doubt that they get plenty of information. The struggle is determining what information is accurate and what is not. Cleveland got tricked a few years ago by Minnesota to trade up one spot for Trent Richardson because Minnesota claimed there was a team that was going to trade up for him. No such deal was going to happen. But Minnesota got picks from Cleveland without sacrificing anything.

Which is the issue here. Cleveland is relying purely on rumor and hearsay. I have a hard time seeing them giving up a premium pick to move up from #2 to #1 based on that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I have no doubt that they get plenty of information. The struggle is determining what information is accurate and what is not. Cleveland got tricked a few years ago by Minnesota to trade up one spot for Trent Richardson because Minnesota claimed there was a team that was going to trade up for him. No such deal was going to happen. But Minnesota got picks from Cleveland without sacrificing anything.

Which is the issue here. Cleveland is relying purely on rumor and hearsay. I have a hard time seeing them giving up a premium pick to move up from #2 to #1 based on that.

What if they view Goff the same way you do? And that view appears to be the consensus. One report I recently read questions Lynch's decision making as defenses caught up to the Memphis offense. Goff may be the clear leader by a wider margin than some expect.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if they view Goff the same way you do? And that view appears to be the consensus. One report I recently read questions Lynch's decision making as defenses caught up to the Memphis offense. Goff may be the clear leader by a wider margin than some expect.

Then they'll be in an interesting conundrum.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
@jrry32 You know I love Goff His deep ball is special to me. I don't know if I leverage the farm but I get where you are going.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Trading all those picks didn't kill the Redskins
Not kill, but severely wounded their ability to build their defense. Secondary is in shambles....FA's basically saved them...And a wise decision to draft Cousins in the 3rd....They are a playoff team...They were when they drafted RGIII....but not a SB team...Not by a long shot...

Another interesting draft jrry....I still like Cook & Lynch...And I really like Wentz now...Probably perfect to sit at 15 and take him...and add some crucial pieces with our 2nd rounders in 2016....And our 1st rounder in 2017.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not kill, but severely wounded their ability to build their defense. Secondary is in shambles....FA's basically saved them...And a wise decision to draft Cousins in the 3rd....They are a playoff team...They were when they drafted RGIII....but not a SB team...Not by a long shot...

Another interesting draft jrry....I still like Cook & Lynch...And I really like Wentz now...Probably perfect to sit at 15 and take him...and add some crucial pieces with our 2nd rounders in 2016....And our 1st rounder in 2017.

We have a defense, though. ;)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We have a defense, though. ;)

I think this team is a QB and a couple pass catchers away. If Goff is really that good then the Rams should give up the farm. If the others are close to Goff and they can get them for much less then maybe they should just do that. I love the post season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Moving to Cal in 2016 ....one would guess this would be another positive to draft a Cal QB. But I would not give up the Ram 2016 draft selections.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Moving to Cal in 2016 ....one would guess this would be another positive to draft a Cal QB. But I would not give up the Ram 2016 draft selections.

Once I heard more about Kroenke's plan and how he drew the NFL in with his added NFL network programming amenities in his new stadium, I began to wonder. Would the NFL interfere and try to bring the Rams to prominence sooner than later. I do believe that this move could push the Rams more into the 'NFL' spotlight and make them the new media darlings. Sometimes it takes a favor to get a favor.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will say this that Northeastern & Western coastal NFL Teams do in fact get a ton of positive press. Being located in fly-over country i.e. St Louis would be the opposite side of this. I would agree with this thought Elmgrovegnome.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Chip may have taken another QB off the board early. You'd have to think that Kaep, and Chip were a deal that was, at least, talked heavily about, if not the reason why liked each other.

Could be good for us. Maybe, we'd only have to go to #5 to get the guy we want. Maybe not Goff, but next man standing. Thoughts?

Last edited:

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Steep price to move up, but for the Rams to get up there it would take something along those lines. And I would be good with it, because people tend to overvalue those first round picks. Way I look at first round picks is if you don't get a difference making talent you whiffed on it. If you get a guy who can just stick on your roster and perform in a role, for the most part you blew it because you can get those types later. Getting a QB who might be elite is worth it IMO. The Rams are proof that bunches of picks and great talent all over a roster doesn't mean squat if you don't have a QB.

Re: Goff I will say of course that he's gonna have a learning curve in the NFL. His biggest adjustment will be that he is very bold in his decision making so he's gonna put up picks early as he learns not to force throws. He's also going to have to work on his throw accuracy particularly deep over the middle due to how good the safeties are, where what he thinks will be safe will often be a pick.

But he's got some things that I look for in QBs aside from his known strengths. I love QBs that keep their eyes downfield even when the rush is around them, because it is very hard to teach courage in the pocket. He sees the field well, and makes quick decisions which are also things that coaches have a difficult time teaching.

The rest of the draft is of course fantastic. Scooby in round 3 is very unlikely IMO but man it would be sweet. Boyd still gets listed in round 2 and might end up being the best WR option in this draft if you want a guy to contribute quickly. Coming out of the draft with Goff/Boyd alone plus just about any solid FA WR this offseason would give any OC what he needs to field a good offense, given the young OL and Gurley. I'd be extremely pumped by this draft.

Dam good read, and I like Wentz w/ that pick... #mustgettop2QBinDraft

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Chip may have taken another QB off the board early. You'd have to think that Kaep, and Chip were a deal that was, at least, talked heavily about, if not the reason why liked each other.

Could be good for us. Maybe, we'd only have to go to #5 to get the guy we want. Maybe not Goff, but next man standing. Thoughts?

Agreed I just think Wentz will raise to everyone top of QB class after senior bowl

PressureD41

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
It was also a different draft. Miami traded up from #12 to #3 using only their 2nd round pick the year after the RGIII draft. What you pay depends on the strength of the draft class and the teams you're bidding against.

In this draft, I think the Titans best move is for them to move down. They're not going to refuse to make the deal because we only offer 3 1sts and a 2nd rather than 3 1sts and 2 2nds. If they're willing to move down to #15, they're going to jump at RGIII value. Unless we get outbid.

The trade value chart only offers theoretical value. If you want to move down, you're going to take the best offer. Especially if that best offer gives you three first round picks.

I don't value picks that way. You're getting a first round pick no matter what. The pick isn't worth less than a first round pick. Thus, I value future first round picks as the 32nd pick in the first round. Because that's the worst case scenario. In that scenario, we're offering value around 2700 for the 1st pick which is listed at 3000. That's close enough for me.

Well, that's not what I'm offering. If Tennessee is willing to move down to #15, it's because they recognize (like I do) that the best players in this draft are at positions where they don't have a need. In that scenario, I don't believe for a second that Tennessee is going to turn down three first round picks and a second round pick for their pick because of the trade value chart.

If we get outbid, we get outbid. But Tennessee isn't going to reject the trade because of a lack of value. Nor will the media crucify them over only getting three firsts and a second for the #1 pick.

Take a step back from the numbers for a second and think about it. For a team with Taylor Lewan at LT and Derrick Morgan and Brian Orakpo at DE...is Joey Bosa or Laremy Tunsil worth more to you than three first round picks and a second round pick? If yes, you don't trade down. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th don't change that. If no, you don't reject the deal because of the trade value chart unless you have a better offer.

Those numbers are purely a guideline. At the end of the day, you still only get what the market offers you. Supply and demand. If the market isn't offering you what the trade value chart demands, you get to make the decision...is the offer better than staying here and making the pick? I think there's a strong possibility that it is for Tennessee.

Like I said, not what I'm willing to offer.(you might feel differently) If they get a better offer, so be it. If they want to stay and make the pick, so be it. But I think they have a very tough time turning down three first round picks and a second round pick for Laremy Tunsil or Joey Bosa.

In the end, if that's the best offer they have and it's a better alternative to them than the guy they're going to pick...they'll take the deal. No matter what the trade value chart says. Because that's the best the market is offering.

Doing your trade doesn't mean Tenn can't back up to get their guy while still holding the rams extra picks, which would help them rebuild nicely to boot. Great thoughts on value. Really enjoyed this threat!