Jrry32 First Mock of February (02/09/2020)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
A lot of rankings have Biadasz below Cushenberry and Ruiz. I've seen him falling to the 3rd in some mocks.
On Asiasi, keep 4 TEs or cut Mundt.

A developmental team? You're kidding. If that OL is going to struggle, our OL is fucked. Because I'm not sure what else we can do, outside of throwing big money at both Whitworth and an interior OL. I don't see that happening. As for the DL, as long as we have Donald, we'll be fine. Gaines and SJD are starting caliber players. Fowler and Weatherly make for a good duo at OLB. ILB is young, but we have plenty of competition.

Why would I have faith in Polite? Multiple teams let him go. He's had issues with mental illness. If he pans out, that's awesome. But I'm not going to rely on him. The simple fact is that we have limited resources. I don't know how y'all expect me to fix the OL, DL, ILB, and OLB with the cap and draft picks we have. It's not possible. I believe in Biadasz as a piece who stabilizes the OL. I believe in Donald's ability to elevate the DL. And I believe that we'll find two capable enough ILBs.

The other option is trying to roll with rookies or bargain basement players at OLB. That's a viable option, but the reality of it is that the pass rush will almost certainly suffer. I think the pass rush is the key to the defense.

We're going to have to pay Kupp. Due to that, Woods is likely gone after 2021. This is the perfect draft to replace him. We could use the cap relief. And he's our best trade chip. With Higbee's breakout, we have Kupp, Cooks, and Higbee as first-tier targets. Beyond them, Everett, Reynolds, Gurley, and Johnson are more than capable of contributing. The passing game is where we can afford to make a sacrifice to make this team better.

Just for simplicity sake, i'm currently looking at the Great Blue North Draft Report Big Board which was revised today and lists Cushenberry at #24 overall, Biadasz at #29 and Ruiz now at #41. This isn't a mock, so these players could land just about anywhere when we consider BPA & need, although none are guaranteed to be available when we pick in the 2'nd round. No doubt the Combine will move these numbers even more. I'm not criticizing Biadasz as a potentially excellent future starting Center/OG, but he's still a rookie player being added to what has already been ranked as the #31 OL in the NFL last season.

Cutting Mundt doesn't seem realistic based off his strong play during the absence of Everett, that and being an inexpensive ERFA.

Maybe our OL is fucked, but I call this a more developmental type team based on your reliance of rookies that won't be receiving much playing time as projected by your own starting line-up on offense and defense. We also keep Fowler where his Franchise Tagged salary could probably pay for 3 or 4 free agents, or at least a mix of free agents and additional draft picks.
Your reaction to Polite is surprising because you were one of his top advocates for drafting him last year.
The Rams do have limited resources at first glance just as you say, but Snead is one guy who knows how to do more with less, in 8 years he's averaged 6 trades per season. Still, with those limited resources you've still chosen, in your own words, a 'gadget' player. Shouldn't we already have that in Natson & Dortch ?

Donald will be 29 years old next season and he's already getting double and triple teamed on near every play. Subtracting Brockers and adding Gaines to the starting lineup, and again no quality 5T DE is very likely to result in a step down in production. Our new DC comes from a scheme which carried and used 5T's.

I'm happy to add a WR to the roster as you have, but that's in preparation of Thomas moving on in free agency this season and the likelihood of losing Reynolds to free agency next year. Personally, i'd be looking at Cooks as a 2021 CAP casualty because of his expense/health situation and offer a shorter extension to Woods mid season 2021 after re-signing Ramsey, Kupp & JJ3 mid-season 2020. Drafting a WR this year and next should keep us well stocked at the position, and if the worst happens and we lose Woods in 2022 to free agency, we'll have all our draft picks, including a 1'st, available for use.
jmo.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just for simplicity sake, i'm currently looking at the Great Blue North Draft Report Big Board which was revised today and lists Cushenberry at #24 overall, Biadasz at #29 and Ruiz now at #41. This isn't a mock, so these players could land just about anywhere when we consider BPA & need, although none are guaranteed to be available when we pick in the 2'nd round. No doubt the Combine will move these numbers even more. I'm not criticizing Biadasz as a potentially excellent future starting Center/OG, but he's still a rookie player being added to what has already been ranked as the #31 OL in the NFL last season.

And Dane Brugler of The Athletic had Biadasz falling to the 3rd round in a recent mock. The odds of three centers going in the top 40 picks aren't great imo. As for Biadasz being a rookie, we've seen a number of rookie interior OLs make immediate impacts in recent years.

Cutting Mundt doesn't seem realistic based off his strong play during the absence of Everett, that and being an inexpensive ERFA.

We'll keep 4 TEs, then. Everett is a FA after the season, and the Rams talked to at least one TE at the postseason bowl games. Although, I think you're overstating Mundt's level of play.

Maybe our OL is fucked, but I call this a more developmental type team based on your reliance of rookies that won't be receiving much playing time as projected by your own starting line-up on offense and defense. We also keep Fowler where his Franchise Tagged salary could probably pay for 3 or 4 free agents, or at least a mix of free agents and additional draft picks.

Fowler's tag is around $15M to $16M. That won't pay for three good starters. We could take a chance on three bargain type FAs, but odds are that not all will pan out. So if you're counting on them to fill holes, yeah, I doubt you'll be in much better shape (if any better shape).

Your reaction to Polite is surprising because you were one of his top advocates for drafting him last year.
The Rams do have limited resources at first glance just as you say, but Snead is one guy who knows how to do more with less, in 8 years he's averaged 6 trades per season. Still, with those limited resources you've still chosen, in your own words, a 'gadget' player. Shouldn't we already have that in Natson & Dortch ?

First of all, you're misrepresenting what I said. I am spending a 4th on Gibson because of what he can be. He's an explosive and elusive runner who has legit receiving skills. He needs development time, which will limit him to more of a gadget/returner role as a rookie. You just told me that I'm counting too much on rookies. Now, I'm supposed to draft a guy in the 4th to start as a rookie? Second of all, Natson offers nothing on offense, and Dortch is an undersized slot WR who finished the year on the PS. Dortch may or may not be something. If he is, he'll be a pleasant surprise. It's time to replace Natson.

Donald will be 29 years old next season and he's already getting double and triple teamed on near every play. Subtracting Brockers and adding Gaines to the starting lineup, and again no quality 5T DE is very likely to result in a step down in production. Our new DC comes from a scheme which carried and used 5T's.

Brockers wasn't taking attention away from Donald in the first place. And SJD can replace him as a run stuffer. Further, you want to let Fowler walk. Do you think that'll take attention away from Donald? I'm choosing to keep the edge rusher who posted 11.5 sacks.

I'm happy to add a WR to the roster as you have, but that's in preparation of Thomas moving on in free agency this season and the likelihood of losing Reynolds to free agency next year. Personally, i'd be looking at Cooks as a 2021 CAP casualty because of his expense/health situation and offer a shorter extension to Woods mid season 2021 after re-signing Ramsey, Kupp & JJ3 mid-season 2020. Drafting a WR this year and next should keep us well stocked at the position, and if the worst happens and we lose Woods in 2022 to free agency, we'll have all our draft picks, including a 1'st, available for use.
jmo.

Nsimba Webster is replacing Thomas, and we can replace Reynolds next year. Johnson replaces Woods. And I feel comfortable with that move.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Can't imagine Biadasz getting past Atlanta's #47 pick as Alex Mack is likely released for CAP reasons, ... and he could easily go earlier than that.
I hate getting too in the grass re: when a player will go off the board and in this draft the difference in guys from where we pick into round 3 doesn't look all that great. But that said Biadasz is likely to go after the other two centers IMO. The guy had a poor season in 2019 with tape showing him struggle vs physical DL and it's hard to imagine that not hurting him. The dip you're seeing is the effect of people going through the tape and that undoing some of the 2018 opinion on who he is.

Generally (nowadays) with centers it seems the ones who are plug 'n play starters go round 1 to round 2 range. Biadasz might have some team looking at his 2018 tape and thinking his 2019 play is related to that hip surgery (but is that likely given that it was a cleanup around his hip) so it's possible someone goes and gets him early but I would doubt it when you have two other guys with strong 2019 tape who play the same position. And both those guys btw are very strong and project well to OG.

And this is good for us too IMO. It means the Rams might end up with the best center from this class down the road. In fact who knows they might go get an edge upgrade in round 2 and then still get Biadasz in round 3 depending.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hate getting too in the grass re: when a player will go off the board and in this draft the difference in guys from where we pick into round 3 doesn't look all that great. But that said Biadasz is likely to go after the other two centers IMO. The guy had a poor season in 2019 with tape showing him struggle vs physical DL and it's hard to imagine that not hurting him. The dip you're seeing is the effect of people going through the tape and that undoing some of the 2018 opinion on who he is.

Generally (nowadays) with centers it seems the ones who are plug 'n play starters go round 1 to round 2 range. Biadasz might have some team looking at his 2018 tape and thinking his 2019 play is related to that hip surgery (but is that likely given that it was a cleanup around his hip) so it's possible someone goes and gets him early but I would doubt it when you have two other guys with strong 2019 tape who play the same position. And both those guys btw are very strong and project well to OG.

And this is good for us too IMO. It means the Rams might end up with the best center from this class down the road. In fact who knows they might go get an edge upgrade in round 2 and then still get Biadasz in round 3 depending.
Yeah it’s hard to tell as well if Atlanta even likes the same guy we do. There are 4 or 5 centers who might come out of the draft and start day 1.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

I personally have a DE and OT as far greater a draft need than Center, especially once Corbett was brought in as Allen was struggling. Edwards handled LG well as Noteboom's replacement and as far as i'm concerned leads the competition to make that position his if Corbett is moved inside. I have RG as up for grabs, and filling it with someone who is more adept as a rush blocker is my priority. Even with Allen's struggles, it's hard to fathom the Rams totally writing him off in one season, so I suspect with another year under his belt in camp that he will show both technical & strength improvement. I'm not a fan of retaining Blythe, neither do I have much faith in Kolone & Shelton. I have no idea what we may or may not have in Trewyn, so I do expect a mid to later round C/OG to be drafted. Like Evans, Demby may also be in play at OG.
With all the above, it's a total crap-shoot on what the outcome truly becomes, there are way too many available options sitting on the table, and we haven't witnessed what the coaches observed everyday in practice.
If one of those top 3 Centers manages to last until our 3'rd round, then i'd be all over it, and probably consider a trade up. jmo.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Ah, TE Asiasi, scoping out some of my Bruins :p He moves well, but I prefer s TE to have a size advantage over the defense and at 6'3", he doesn't wow me. However, with talk of the Rams using a FB, he has the size for it at over 250 lbs.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I always respect these because I could never do them and the research that goes into them are amazing so thank you again Counselor....That being posted my kingdom for a Left Tackle in this draft please and I really don't like trading Woods, but understand why.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I always respect these because I could never do them and the research that goes into them are amazing so thank you again Counselor....That being posted my kingdom for a Left Tackle in this draft please and I really don't like trading Woods, but understand why.
Not to answer for him but I've seen two issues with trying to get a LT in this draft. Most of the best ones will be long gone before we pick and moving up as you know takes capital away from other needs. The ones that are likely to be there for us are projects along the lines of Noteboom or more of projects or with a riddled injury history like Trey Adams from Washington. At least that's what I see. Lots of RT available to us that could move inside but RT is less of an issue. I really think our best option this year is to resign Whit and wait for Boom to get healthy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not to answer for him but I've seen two issues with trying to get a LT in this draft. Most of the best ones will be long gone before we pick and moving up as you know takes capital away from other needs. The ones that are likely to be there for us are projects along the lines of Noteboom or more of projects or with a riddled injury history like Trey Adams from Washington. At least that's what I see. Lots of RT available to us that could move inside but RT is less of an issue. I really think our best option this year is to resign Whit and wait for Boom to get healthy.
What I think would suck is passing on a good edge prospect to go with the more important need of an OT project. I'd understand it but meh.

But that said OT does look pretty good in terms of projected value even at 52. Guys like Jackson (USC), Niang (TCU), and Wonogho (Auburn). Granted Wonogho scares me with that knee but still. Jackson in particular would be nice (I'm a USC fan and he'd be good in this scheme) as would Niang. Don't like them more than taking a guy like Anae but it's hard to knock it if they go that route.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I think would suck is passing on a good edge prospect to go with the more important need of an OT project. I'd understand it but meh.

But that said OT does look pretty good in terms of projected value even at 52. Guys like Jackson (USC), Niang (TCU), and Wonogho (Auburn). Granted Wonogho scares me with that knee but still. Jackson in particular would be nice (I'm a USC fan and he'd be good in this scheme) as would Niang. Don't like them more than taking a guy like Anae but it's hard to knock it if they go that route.
Jackson likely gone Niang is a right tackle and Wonogho is one of those injury guys who might also be gone before we pick. Just what I’m seeing for the position. And I realize saying player X is gone before we pick this early in the process is a shaky proposition at best but I’ve seen so called experts say 5 OT could go in the first round.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jackson likely gone Niang is a right tackle and Wonogho is one of those injury guys who might also be gone before we pick. Just what I’m seeing for the position. And I realize saying player X is gone before we pick this early in the process is a shaky proposition at best but I’ve seen so called experts say 5 OT could go in the first round.
I'm not of the mind that Niang is a guaranteed RT. He's not a Havenstein type, the guy moves well.

The same reason that OTs tend to go earlier than projected is the same reason the Rams would take one of them instead of a better player at another position. Which is why I said I would understand it but I'm not a fan of it.

And lastly the "likely gone" thing is really hard to nail down with the player group that runs through that bottom third of the first round into our range. I'm not seeing all that much separation in the players being listed at 20s vs those around the 50 range. And the lists are all over the place and rightly so, everyone's got favorites. Would a good OT drop to us? Probably not. But it is certainly possible in this draft IMO.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ah, TE Asiasi, scoping out some of my Bruins :p He moves well, but I prefer s TE to have a size advantage over the defense and at 6'3", he doesn't wow me. However, with talk of the Rams using a FB, he has the size for it at over 250 lbs.

I'm not a big height guy. I care most about movement skills. Asiasi can move. He gets far easier separation on his routes than a man his size should. I've seen him compared to Alge Crumpler, and I think that's a good comparison.

I think Noteboom is the guy at LT, personally.

I'm not big on Anae, frankly. I don't think he has the physical traits to be a stand-out player.

Tano

Legend
The only thing I would do differently is Tag Fowler and trade him

Then sign a defensive lineman and draft a defensive lineman with the 2nd we get for Fowler

I agree with Memento - I do not trust Joseph Day to be a decent lineman.

He is the main reason Dallas and Baltimore ran all over us those games.

I think with a really good defensive lineman next to Donald will upgrade our OLB already on the team from decent to very good with the free runs to the QB when teams are trying to block Donald and the really good defensive lineman.

I also think we would get a higher pick for Woods.

Other than that - very good mock
I am going to add to this by putting Everson Griffen as the guy who replaces Brockers.

Would we be able to afford him since he was injured last year and his price may go down. Plus he is getting up there in years. Maybe a 2 yr end contract. I am not good at this stuff so I don't have a clue what he will be signing for.

Or has his play declined too much since he is getting up there? Or is he too much of a 4-3 guy?

Looking at Minnesota's cap situation, they are definitely going to have to release a few players and Griffen is probably one of them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am going to add to this by putting Everson Griffen as the guy who replaces Brockers.

Would we be able to afford him since he was injured last year and his price may go down. Plus he is getting up there in years. Maybe a 2 yr end contract. I am not good at this stuff so I don't have a clue what he will be signing for.

Or has his play declined too much since he is getting up there? Or is he too much of a 4-3 guy?

Looking at Minnesota's cap situation, they are definitely going to have to release a few players and Griffen is probably one of them.

I believe Griffen will be a FA (Minnesota holds a club option on him), and he's more of a 4-3 DE.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
Love the picks but not the Woods trade. Feel like if Sanu was able to fetch a 2nd then Woods should bring back more cause hes younger and a better WR. Also would be hard to see Woods go :cry:

Would HATE to see Woods go!!! It would have to be an Offer too good to refuse!!!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Another off-season plan that centers around trading Robert Woods?

I think you've fallen off your mocker.

Gonna be pretty consistent in these. It's a move that makes a lot of sense to me.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Robert Woods has been our most consistent receiver since signing him. He steps up when nobody else does. His combination of route running, hands, YAC and blocking makes trading him a huge mistake. To be honest I’m trading Kupp before him. He’s much easier to take out of the gameplan. In fact, his last 8 games he averaged a poultry 46 ypg. In that same time period Woods averaged 93 ypg(he missed the game vs the Bears).

Receivers who can play every position are much harder to replace then slot receivers. Defenses just started flooding the middle and allowed Woods to beat his man one on one. We also ended up getting Higbee way more involved and it was better for our offense rather then Goff forcing it to Kupp all the time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gonna be pretty consistent in these. It's a move that makes a lot of sense to me.
Halfway there with you. I think it makes sense only if he's whining about his contract behind the scenes. But outside of that he's a very good value for what he does so no way I'd move him without some sort of contract drama.