Jon Gruden to target Rams QBs coach Greg Olson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Jon Gruden to target Rams QBs coach Greg Olson
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...raiders-jon-gruden-greg-olson-coaching-staff/

In one offseason, the Los Angeles Rams not only overhauled their roster, but more importantly, their coaching staff. By bringing in Sean McVay, the Rams entrusted a 31-year-old, first-year head coach to put together a group that could change the culture in L.A.

That’s exactly what he and his staff did, but the Rams could be in danger of losing one key member of the unit. According to multiple reports, Jon Gruden, who’s expected to be hired by the Raiders as their next head coach, will target Rams quarterbacks coach Greg Olson for his staff.

Two more names I'm hearing as potential Jon Gruden staff hires: @RamsNFL QBs coach Greg Olson & @ChicagoBears o-line coach Jeremiah Washburn. Gruden had Olson on his @TBBuccaneers staff. @sportingnews

— Alex Marvez (@alexmarvez) January 2, 2018

Heard same on Olson. Will be interesting to see if Rich Gannon joins Gruden's staff. Washburn also would be candidate for potential Jim Schwartz staff. https://t.co/4QmVAgtzQM

— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) January 2, 2018

Olson has played a significant role in helping develop Jared Goff into a franchise quarterback. This season, Goff had 28 touchdown passes and just seven interceptions, elevating his play after a tough rookie season.

Olson was on Gruden’s staff in 2008 as the Buccaneers’ quarterbacks coach. He stuck around for three more seasons as Tampa Bay’s offensive coordinator under Raheem Morris, but it was hardly a successful stint.

The Buccaneers never finished better than 19th in yards or 20th in points scored, winning 17 games in those three seasons. Olson has bounced around since then, spending time with the Raiders and Jaguars from 2013-16 before joining the Rams this season.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Hopefully McVay won't sign off on a lateral move.

"Sorry Jon, I know I owe you my career but get F'd." ~Sean McVay

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
Never better than 17th on offense overall and Gruden wants to hire Olson as an OC?

Hey Gruden, why don't you coach for the Cardinals? Much better job over there!

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

Only if the Raiders are willing to give up their 1st and 2nd round picks for 2018, 2019, and 2020! :sneaky:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think Goff is as responsible for his success this year as Olson is.

And Gruden can't buy Goff's mojo.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall

Would QB coach to OC be considered lateral?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Olson was called, I imagine it'd be a hard decision.

Everybody thought they knew where Carr was heading... now, not as sure.

But he knows where the Rams are heading... he know where Goff is heading... the arrow is pointing up.

So, he might be more inclined to take the sure bet right now... the Rams and Goff.

I think I would.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Ultimately, McVay can deny permission even if it’s a promotion (OC) but can’t deny permission for head coach interview. However, I don’t think McVay would stand in the way of Olson at his age for another chance at OC. Also, Alex Van Pelt is available after four years as Rodgers QB coach which could be an upgrade.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
By NFL rules yea it's lateral and can be blocked but personally I'd hope this organization wouldn't block such a move

Thank you for clarifying.

Good leaders don’t block others’ opportunities for success.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
By NFL rules yea it's lateral and can be blocked but personally I'd hope this organization wouldn't block such a move

We have a great team and you want to keep that team in place as long as humanly possible. Im sure Gruden will have a sweet deal for Olsen but I trust McVay will get it worked out.

Q729

Legend
We have a great team and you want to keep that team in place as long as humanly possible. Im sure Gruden will have a sweet deal for Olsen but I trust McVay will get it worked out.
Or McVay can adopt whatever the hell the prick hooded guy in NE does that makes his assistants suck balls when they leave while still maintaining his che-- i mean winning ways.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler

Yea it would be great to keep everyone in place but at what expense? You really willing to cost a guy potentially millions of dollars and maybe his one shot at another OC gig? To me it's just shitty to keep a guy from moving up the ladder (the same ladder the HC dreamed of climbing and I'm sure would have hated to be stalled) when all he's doing is being very successful at his job and warranting a promotion

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really? I guess I have to ask, then... what constitutes a promotion?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank you for clarifying.

Good leaders don’t block others’ opportunities for success.
I agree. I am pretty sure He'd let Olson go for his betterment. I am pretty sure that McVay knows others that he considered last year who could go on the staff of a playoff team..

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
I would have thought Gruden would want Bill Callahan back as his OC - his contract with the Redskins is up after this year, IIRC.