Jo-lonn Dunbar has been released

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
A short while ago, I saw a list of the teams with the most arrests and drug suspensions over the past year. The Rams were at the top of the list. Dunbar, Watkins, Pead, TruJohnson, were all culprits. Add to that the fact that the Rams have quite a few young guys who came with baggage and you gotta appreciate what Fisher is doing here. He is sending a message to the young guys, and it makes perfect sense.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
LesBaker said:
A player like Dunbar doesn't get cut to save that little bit of cap space. He was cheap to begin with remember.

A player like him gets cut for only two different reasons IMO. The team has a guy they think is a better player for the position and depth isn't an issue at that spot.......or the player did something monumentally bad/stupid.

There is too big of a chance he won't come back so that strategy isn't viable. I don't think they have a verbal deal worked out. I think they cut him because he did something else dumb. Like fail another PED test or he tested positive for weed or whatever.
To much speculation for me here

Lesson

Oh, really?
While I don't like seeing a player like Dunbar released, I like the message Fisher is sending and how it leads to an opportunity for Ray-Ray.

V3

Hall of Fame
If true, this is STUPID! Give me a fricken break! I'd say at least half (probably way more) the players in the NFL take something that is illegal. He's your best LB- yes, he was better than JL55 last year. He was the MVP on defense. There has to be some other reason than just getting busted for PED's. If there isn't, this is dumbest move Snead and Fisher have made thus far.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I still question the timing of it all. The suspension has been public for almost 3 weeks now...Dunbar was banished to the 3rd string by the end of the preseason anyway so...why not cut him earlier than 5 days before week 1 ?

Many solid takes from my fellow Rammies here as to the speculative reasons why he was let go,but IMO the timing suggests that this decision may have come about quite suddenly.

Shitty thing is,you JUST KNOW he'll end up on a division or NFC rival squad... :dahh:

BobCarl

Rookie
mojorizen7 said:
I still question the timing of it all. The suspension has been public for almost 3 weeks now...Dunbar was banished to the 3rd string by the end of the preseason anyway so...why not cut him earlier than 5 days before week 1 ?

Every player gets tested once between April 20th and August 9th. If his test is "positive" then he is subject to more tests. My "speculation" is that he failed again.

BobCarl

Rookie
<a class="postlink" href="http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResou ... al_CBA.pdf</a>

ARTICLE 42
CLUB DISCIPLINE

Section 6. NFL Drug and Steroid Policies: ... the termination of his Player Contract if
such termination is ... expressly permissible under ... (the) player's Contract.

I think this means that Dumbar agreed that the team could cut him if he tested positive. Had this not been in his contract the team likely would not have been able to cut him.

The team IS under a confidentially agreement, and if they disclose any information, they are subject to being fined.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
BobCarl said:
mojorizen7 said:

Every player gets tested once between April 20th and August 9th. If his test is "positive" then he is subject to more tests. My "speculation" is that he failed again.
This what i'm "suggesting",BC.
Something sudden and definately "not" a roster/financial move. It doesn't appear that way IMO due to the timing.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
max with excellent reasoning:
A short while ago, I saw a list of the teams with the most arrests and drug suspensions over the past year. The Rams were at the top of the list. Dunbar, Watkins, Pead, TruJohnson, were all culprits. Add to that the fact that the Rams have quite a few young guys who came with baggage and you gotta appreciate what Fisher is doing here. He is sending a message to the young guys, and it makes perfect sense.

I like the thinking here max but I'm not sure how effective it will be. Of course if it has a positive effect on even a few of them it will have been worth it.
If it's true of course.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
mojorizen7 said:
BobCarl said:
mojorizen7 said:

Something sudden and definately "not" a roster/financial move. It doesn't appear that way IMO due to the timing.
So, you don't think this had anything to do with the Sims contract? Talk about timing.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The Staff feels like cutting him is the best option... I'm gonna trust in their decision. They know better than any of us what we have with and without him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
mojorizen7 said:
BobCarl said:
mojorizen7 said:

So, you don't think this had anything to do with the Sims contract? Talk about timing.

Hey Doc. By this do you mean you think Sims extension is a bump up against this year's cap? I would have guessed the extension actually rewarded Sims AND took a bit off the cap hit this year. Just my thought - no facts to back it.

My real thought is that the release of Hull combined with the release of JLD might tip us that we are looking at a vet LB to bring in. Again, nothing to back that up - just a hunch.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
mojorizen7 said:
BobCarl said:
mojorizen7 said:

Hey Doc. By this do you mean you think Sims extension is a bump up against this year's cap? I would have guessed the extension actually rewarded Sims AND took a bit off the cap hit this year. Just my thought - no facts to back it.

My real thought is that the release of Hull combined with the release of JLD might tip us that we are looking at a vet LB to bring in. Again, nothing to back that up - just a hunch.
I am definitely not a cap guy, not sure when stuff like this kicks in, but I was trying to provide another possible thought process into Dunbar getting cut so suddenly. If the Sims contract has nothing to do with the cap, or even if it helps, then it does free something up for a possible move.

I'd tend to agree with you on bringing in another vet linebacker, but I don't know what the hell they will do. It seems improbable that we would go into the season with so little experience at backer. One bad thing away from having two rookies out there, that scares me a little. Fisher did say that he didn't even try to make any claims, and that they are happy with the team, although I also heard him say that he wouldn't be comfortable with Bates starting at linebacker yet.

V3

Hall of Fame
Selassie I said:
The Staff feels like cutting him is the best option... I'm gonna trust in their decision. They know better than any of us what we have with and without him.

I've heard this before with Spags, Linehan, Martz, etc. Fisher is definitely better but he still hasn't won anything. I don't trust anyone.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
OK...yeah.

W/e.

It sucks but hey it's the nature of the biz. You screw up you gots to go.

I like this move, a lot of scrutiny happening around the league lately. No nonsense just fair football the way it's supposed to be played.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
DR RAM said:
mojorizen7 said:
BobCarl said:
mojorizen7 said:

Thats a good point and i see your reasoning there. Like you i'm not a cap guy,but it makes some sense..but again,why not work that out weeks ago? Neither guy was in jeopardy of not making the team(obviously) and it had no bearing on the fringe guys. It just seems like such a twilight move to me...involving key players.

Shawnbb158

Starter
I'm left dazed and confused. Ha didn't read through the entire thread but just got home from a basically 18 hour shift (30 min break then a beer after before I came home) I like our young guys but Dunbar did great for us last year.... I am 10000000000% confident in snisher but..... 2nd leading tackler from last year being cut? I wow step up (ray ray hopefully lol)