Jenkins tweets disgust with Rams lowball offer?? And other Jenkins negotiation info.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I'm glad you don't run the team then.

This is the new normal now...and as younger kids start coming into the NFL, this is only going to get worse.
It is not normal it is something a whiny entitled brat does and it will only get worse if the teams allow it.

And he isn't as good as he thinks he is.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

just stfu and let your manager do his job. you just sit back and dream away.

edit - wth? they took most of jimi's stuff off youtube?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here are my thoughts concerning the proposed contracts for Jenkins and TruJo.

First, some perspective. Here are the spotrak CB contract amounts as of today...

http://overthecap.com/position/cornerback/

Not sure where our 2 guys fit into that hierarchy, but it's certainly gotta be below the top 7 or 10, don't you think?

Secondly, the FO perception of Gaines' recovery status makes a ton of difference in their offseason strategy.

Sooooo...

If our CB's are both reasonable, then I think both get signed.

If one is reasonable but not the other, the reasonable one gets signed and the other one walks.

If both are unreasonable, it's possible that the FO favorite is tagged and the other one walks. But it might be equally possible that both are allowed to walk and we draft a CB from this rich CB draft class to pair with Gaines.

Hopefully, both are reasonable and we can use our resources on other positions this offseason.

Note: In all above scenarios, the Rams are in the driver's seat. A great place to be, huh?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It is not normal it is something a whiny entitled brat does and it will only get worse if the teams allow it.

And he isn't as good as he thinks he is.

It will become the normal. There's probably at least two or three guys like this on every team right now...that number will grow as younger kids come into the NFL.

And nobody in the NFL is as good as they think they are...save for the elite of the elite. But he's really good and he's still a player we should sign.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

First, some perspective. Here are the spotrak CB contract amounts as of today...

Not sure where our 2 guys fit into that hierarchy, but it's certainly gotta be below the top 7 or 10, don't you think?

Secondly, the FO perception of Gaines' recovery status makes a ton of difference in their offseason strategy.

Sooooo...

If one is reasonable but not the other, the reasonable one gets signed and the other one walks.

If both are unreasonable, it's possible that the FO favorite is tagged and the other one walks. But it might be equally possible that both are allowed to walk and we draft a CB from this rich CB draft class to pair with Gaines.

Hopefully, both are reasonable and we can use our resources on other positions this offseason.

Note: In all above scenarios, the Rams are in the driver's seat. A great place to be, huh?

If one is reasonable and the other isn't then they can slap the tag on whomever isn't cooperating and keep them for a year. Not likely that player will slack off knowing they are on a 16 game audition for the big $$$.

Rams win either/or I say.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Sooooo...

Why would you say they are outside the top 10? In some categories, TruJo was ranked in the top 5. Considering his age and size (ironic that Rams fans want to keep TruJo for his size but don't think about how his size would get him more money), he could demand to be the highest paid CB in the NFL and have a case.

Realistically, I think he knows he is not at that level. But the point is, they will both probably demand top 10 money. "If our CBs are reasonable" - what does that mean? Both guys should be trying to get as much money as they can. It's what you or I would do too.

It might make sense to only sign one of them.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
Why would you say they are outside the top 10? In some categories, TruJo was ranked in the top 5. Considering his age and size (ironic that Rams fans want to keep TruJo for his size but don't think about how his size would get him more money), he could demand to be the highest paid CB in the NFL and have a case.

Realistically, I think he knows he is not at that level. But the point is, they will both probably demand top 10 money. "If our CBs are reasonable" - what does that mean? Both guys should be trying to get as much money as they can. It's what you or I would do too.

Sorry but Tru cannot realistically ask to be the top paid CB. He has size and upside but he's not been nearly consistent enough over his first 4 years. Patrick Peterson is head and shoulders above both our guys at the moment.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

I think most unbiased observers would say that they are outside the top 7-10, Frantik.

And I think "reasonable" would reflect that. Something in the $10 million range? Tops?

That number should work for both parties, don't you think?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Ehh, let him test the market if he wants. The current Rams front office will get their money's worth whether he has a new contract with us or or not. If he wants to leave, bye Felicia.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I've always had this feeling that Jenkins wants more than he's worth. I personally don't think he's worth $12 million a year. He's not consistent enough and he doesn't have the size. I'd much rather sign Johnson, who I believe has more upside, and sign him for less money.

Yeah, I've felt all along that signing either of them would probably be a mistake because I don't think either will live up to a phat contract. Jenks just so happened to eliminate many of his bad habits just in time for his big contract season. Tru just so happened to stay healthy and finally live up to his size/length in time for his contract season. Don't like the timing of it man.

That said, I don't want to see the Rams needing to prioritize CB in this draft. I want offense. So just sign ONE of them, and that will settle things down quite a bit for the Rams with some options.

One thing I've been wondering about is whether the Rams can tag the one they don't sign and do a sign/trade deal with him? Haven't seen that done in a while so not sure teams can still do that kind of thing. But if you get a first and third or similar type deal for one of these two and sign the other one the Rams would be in good shape.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think most unbiased observers would say that they are outside the top 7-10, Frantik.

And I think "reasonable" would reflect that. Something in the $10 million range? Tops?

That number should work for both parties, don't you think?

I think they will both ask for more than $10 mil per year. And there are not 8 CBs I would take over those guys...so IMO they are top 10.

But all that is irrelevant - this is about what they will want and ask for. And both have a case to make for them being top 10, which they will certainly do.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Agree fully on your CB comments.(y) Disagree on McLeod due to some major holes in Rod game that most NFL teams will not desire to dump cap $$$ investments & Rod just fits in extremely well with Fisher/Gregg secondary. Not sure that Rod skill set is in high demand elsewhere. I think that a long term deal with a lower yearly base is what we will see with Rod. In truth Rod plays more like a SS than a deep safety. Does Rod even have hands?

Your right on Barron in "hard to project" statement. In truth Barron has been a bust as a starting safety thus far in the NFL. When you are a top 7 First round draft pick & have the playing history of Mark Barron & you want to pay invest big cap $$$ in a thus far Unsuccessful DB strong safety???

Don't think there will be a long line here for his services as a back 4 starting DB just me here. SS's are like FB's & blocking TE's in the bottom feeders of NFL pay scale. Another fact that there in a GLUT of SS's coming out of College each & every draft. Barron has not had a full yr as a starter since 2012. Most NFL teams play a 34 defenses not but most is a skinny OSLB'er over 6-2 213 pounds going to get a ton of look sees? When most 34 OSLBers are close to Rob Quinn size, not skinny Strong Safeties.

Now Barron has shown that if he has one of the better DL's in front of him in the NFL with the likes of Quinn/Donald/Brockers/Fairley/Hayes/Long ( Five first round picks) Barron can be very effective(y), however how many 43 Defenses have the DL like we had in 2015? :thinking: Sure there are a few teams who might place Barron in a good positions to success but who are they? Are they strapped for cap funds? Are risk takers? Yes I said Risk.

If I am the Rams I know that the best place for Mark Barron to be a stand out is in LA. Rams have proven that the last half of 2014 & the full yr of 2015. I going to invest sound fair $$ into him to start this season as a OSLB'er on this team. Give him his first real chance to come in & follow up on his outstanding 2015 season in the same position that placed him for the first time to stand out in this NFL. But it will not be for over 5 mil a season on a long term deal. A short term one yr deal might get Barron over 5 mil in LA in 2016.

I have to disagree with you on some of your points about Barron. Failed strong safety, but he hasn't played strong safety for 2 seasons he is playing S/LB role where he has been very productive. Furthermore he was playing in a cover 2, which doesn't fit his skill set at all. On the other hand, In today's NFL that S/LB role is coveted in 3-4 and 4-3 defenses alike look at the Cardinals with Deone Buccanon playing as a full time 3-4 MLB. My projection is 4.5 to 5 million based on comparable stats and contracts of current players playing SS and LB. Additionally, the way the rams structure guaranteed money in contracts its kind of pay as you go, so giving him a long term deal not a huge issue. For example they can get out of the Saffold, Britt, and Ayers deals with minuscule cap ramifications. On your DL point Lauranatis has played behind the same DL for the last 2 years and hasn't looked nearly as good.

Also disagree with your Mcleod point. When an agent goes into a negotiation all he has is the empirical numbers and positional value. FS's are hard to find . Rodney makes 2.3 million this year he isn't going to hit the FA market as one of the top FS available and get a measly $700,00 raise. He grades highly in coverage and is solid in run support. His stats are comparable to Rahim Moore, Glover Quinn, and Mike Mitchell guys making for 4 to 5 million. His agent is going to use those numbers and comparable stats as the base number for negotiations

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I personally don't get why he'd do it. Don't like the offer? Ok you're agent will say no and you'll carry on negotiating.

Just imagine being in his position. You're playing in the NFL. You're 25 years old and very rich. You should be sat on a beach somewhere and getting your body into the best shape it can be in not whining on Twitter about something.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Come on, X. The man has the right to negotiate the way he pleases. This is his business. It's his money. It's his future. Not our place to lecture him about how he conducts his business.
I think if he's going to do it on a social network then it's fair game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think if he's going to do it on a social network then it's fair game.

Fair game for what? For a bunch of people that have nothing at stake to lecture him on professionalism? Jenkins isn't a rocket scientist but he knows what he's doing.