Jared Goff 2016

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I would not question it at this point...WAY too early.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of these mega trades where one team gives up a boatload of players or picks (or players and picks) to make a major move up in the draft to select a 'suspect' that's never set foot on an NFL field. Doesn't *seem* like they often work out for the 'givers'. Dunno if stats would bear that out, but it sure seems that way.

At this point, what's done is done. And if Goff does turn into 'the' guy for the Rams for the next dozen years, and gets them to the playoffs more often than not, and wins a Super Bowl or 2, then I would call the trade a success. And whether he plays a down this year or not won't be remembered......much less cared about by anyone.

I know its early, I guess i'm still reeling from the draft this year, like you I'm not a big fan of the big crazy trades, and I fear it's going to bite is in the bum. I wasn't a fan of this year's QB class at all, so I guess I'm just being a bit down on it all - and I'm fed up of being mediocre at best.

Memphis Ram

Legend
There will certainly come a time when more playing time will translate to quick & distinct improvement. The question is when is that time. And nobody knows. IF he doesn't know the playbook, IF he is overwhelmed by the speed of the NFL game, IF he can't read the defensive alignment somewhat effectively when he comes to the line, etc.....it's possible playing him 'now' could just as easily retard his development as accelerate it.

The 'Keenum Factor' is a very minimal part of the equation, IMO. It's all about when Goff is ready. You keep wanting to blame Fisher for not developing him properly, but none of us see 1% of what the coaches see in practice and meetings and just the daily interaction with him. I find it extremely hard to believe that IF Goff was close to being what Keenum brings to the table today, that Fisher wouldn't be playing him. While I'm not an overly big fan of Fisher's excessively (to me) conservative style of offensive football, I just don't believe he'd let a player for whom they gave up so much to ride the bench 'just because'. And the fact he hinted Goff will start the season as the 3rd string QB should tell us something about Goff's current readiness to be an NFL starting QB.

07.jpg

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
This is my take.
1. Fisher never actually said Goff was a third ting qb. He said all in the same statemen a number of times earlier that he was a 2nd and then stated "If the season were to start right now, Mannion would be 2nd." So why all the ridiculous headlines. Misleading a bit.

2. I believe this team is healthy and good enough to win while Goff gets better prepared to take over.... possibly by bye week. I think we can win with Kenumn, Mannion at the helm. Where does our offense improve you ask? At the offensive line and the passing game under Groh. So I think then as Goff energy as the starter later in the season not only much more prepared and comfortable. ....but the offense could already be much more improved and ready for his assent.

3. I am a draft geek. So long before we traded up to no.1 and it looked as though SF was going to get Goff with the 7th pick..... I had studied Goff. So this is what I had written down. Superior footwork in the pocket. Able to read defenses before snap as well as go though his progressions. Above average Arm strength . Quick release. Very very Accurate. Slow start to some games.Best Qb in this draft...... now all this being said he will only get better and better with playing time.....I mean come on he never fumbled a shotgun snap I college..... But before he can start he does need to know all the verbage....and know presisly where everyone is and what they are doing on each play.

So my feeling is he will start at some point this season and though we are impatient. ... he will come in and make the Rams better. It is a process and in 2 to 3 year .....Whach Out......;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I would accept that risk. Goff is mentally tough. If he can't handle it, he won't be successful in the NFL. Mental toughness is a necessary trait.
OK, but ask the other 52 men on that team if they are OK with essentially throwing away the early part of the season. These guys train and bust their ass to be able to withstand 16 (hopefully more) precious games. Do you think they would be OK to sacrifice ANY games so that Goff can "figure it out" on the job? As many of us have said all along...you start the players that give the TEAM the best chance to win on any given week. I don't think Goff is as far away from being that guy as some do, but he clearly isn't that guy now.

FrankenRam

Starter
I know its early, I guess i'm still reeling from the draft this year, like you I'm not a big fan of the big crazy trades, and I fear it's going to bite is in the bum. I wasn't a fan of this year's QB class at all, so I guess I'm just being a bit down on it all - and I'm fed up of being mediocre at best.

I wouldn't try to claim any QB evaluation skills at all. But I do try and listen to as many different opinions as time allows from as many different evaluators who I tend to believe are knowledgeable on the subject as I can. And try to determine if there's a consensus on a player's chances in the NFL.

For me to make the trade the Rams made this year, I would have wanted to see a virtual unanimous Andrew-Luck-Can't-Miss like consensus. But there wasn't that consensus for any of the QB's available this year. It seemed like for every evaluator who thought Goff/Wentz was 'the shit', there was one who questioned their abilities just as strongly. In comparison, the 2015 draft w/ Mariotta/Winston wasn't unanimous, but much stronger than this year. Heck, there was even a 'Once every 10 yr prospect' feeling about Bradford when he came out that was much stronger consensus than this year's class.

So, from that aspect, it's fair to question 'the trade'. But I just don't see any point in interjecting any of that into whether or not Goff should play sooner rather than 'when he's ready'. He's the pick, he's here now and learning the Rams' system. It's just too early to assess which side of the consensus evaluation will prove to be accurate. We'll only know that with time. 'IMO', of course.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really? You think Mannion was good last night or in week 1 he threw good balls? He was bailed out a lot by Spruce and Hemingway in week 1 and looked horrible last night.

He put every ball on the money week 1, why is it always a caveat when ever Mannion do something its like people rather down him to prop up Goff. Mannion keeps drives alive he converts 3rd downs take care of the ball and knows how to get it into the endzone. He dont panic in face of pressure he had a free Blitzer right in his face he pump faked him got him in the air and threw a strike that got DROPPED that would have been good for a first down,Goff would have folded got sacked and most likely fumbled the ball. Tired of the bashing of Manniom when he has outplayed Goff in every facet of the game and they both have played with the same unit and against the same defenses... So imagaine how much Better Mannion would be if HE started with the 1's

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
He put every ball on the money week 1, why is it always a caveat when ever Mannion do something its like people rather down him to prop up Goff. Mannion keeps drives alive he converts 3rd downs take care of the ball and knows how to get it into the endzone. He dont panic in face of pressure he had a free Blitzer right in his face he pump faked him got him in the air and threw a strike that got DROPPED that would have been good for a first down,Goff would have folded got sacked and most likely fumbled the ball. Tired of the bashing of Manniom when he has outplayed Goff in every facet of the game and they both have played with the same unit and against the same defenses... So imagaine how much Better Mannion would be if HE started with the 1's
I thought Mannion looked pretty good. Seemed comfortable with the offense and confident in what he was doing. That's a prime example of being able to improve without actually playing, because he didn't look all that good last preseason.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not trying to boost Goff by calling out Mannion. He was not nearly as good as he's given credit for in week 1. Sorry if my opinion offends you. I don't think less of Mannion because he is looking exactly like I thought he would when we drafted him last year. A good to very good #2 QB on an NFL roster.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not trying to boost Goff by calling out Mannion. He was not nearly as good as he's given credit for in week 1. Sorry if my opinion offends you. I don't think less of Mannion because he is looking exactly like I thought he would when we drafted him last year. A good to very good #2 QB on an NFL roster.

No your post didnt offend me at all and I definitely respect your opinion,i'm just saying that Goff and Mannion both have been playing with the same supporting cast last week Goff got to play with Britt. You have two guys given the same tools to work with and imho you have 1 clearly outperforming the other.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No your post didnt offend me at all and I definitely respect your opinion,i'm just saying that Goff and Mannion both have been playing with the same supporting cast last week Goff got to play with Britt. You have two guys given the same tools to work with and imho you have 1 clearly outperforming the other.
See the only area I think Mannion out played him in was in pocket/line of scrimmage presence. I really don't think his throws were better. Anyways it's on to the season.

FrankenRam

Starter
OK, but ask the other 52 men on that team if they are OK with essentially throwing away the early part of the season. These guys train and bust their ass to be able to withstand 16 (hopefully more) precious games. Do you think they would be OK to sacrifice ANY games so that Goff can "figure it out" on the job? As many of us have said all along...you start the players that give the TEAM the best chance to win on any given week. I don't think Goff is as far away from being that guy as some do, but he clearly isn't that guy now.

What he said!

WestCoastRam

Legend
I was watching Hard Knocks the other day and Boras called in a play for him. He repeated it, but then one of the receivers asked him what he called. His response was, "I have no idea." All he remembered was Y-right. Meaning, that was the only part of the play he was gonna see unfold and know where it was going. That lack of understanding is what's holding him back. Not the coaches. He'll certainly get it all down, and begin to get more comfortable, but it's not happening in a regular season game until he masters it on the practice field.

This. I agree with those posters who say that he has to play to learn but he HAS to have a base level of knowledge of the offense and ability to call plays out there or he'll be destroyed. I think that can kill a QB. And I'm not convinced he knows the offense yet. When he does, I concur that you put him out there and let him take the lumps.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Since when are we "throwing away" the early part of the season?

Did you watch Sam Bradford, Andrew Luck, Jameis Winston, and Cam Newton play their rookie years? None of those teams threw away their season by starting their #1 overall pick.

Frankly, if I am on the Rams, I feel much less confidence in our ability to have a successful season with Keenum at the helm than with Goff at the helm. I saw what Keenum did last year. I saw how every other part of the team had to make up for his limitations in order for the Rams to win. I'd rather let Goff learn on the job then force the rest of the team to carry Keenum all season long.

You want to talk about sacrificing games. Go watch Keenum play last year against Baltimore and San Francisco. Then come back and tell me that Goff will do less for this team.

There will certainly come a time when more playing time will translate to quick & distinct improvement. The question is when is that time. And nobody knows. IF he doesn't know the playbook, IF he is overwhelmed by the speed of the NFL game, IF he can't read the defensive alignment somewhat effectively when he comes to the line, etc.....it's possible playing him 'now' could just as easily retard his development as accelerate it.

The 'Keenum Factor' is a very minimal part of the equation, IMO. It's all about when Goff is ready. You keep wanting to blame Fisher for not developing him properly, but none of us see 1% of what the coaches see in practice and meetings and just the daily interaction with him. I find it extremely hard to believe that IF Goff was close to being what Keenum brings to the table today, that Fisher wouldn't be playing him. While I'm not an overly big fan of Fisher's excessively (to me) conservative style of offensive football, I just don't believe he'd let a player for whom they gave up so much to ride the bench 'just because'. And the fact he hinted Goff will start the season as the 3rd string QB should tell us something about Goff's current readiness to be an NFL starting QB.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/2006.htm

I don't have the faith in Jeff Fisher's handling of rookies that you do. I still remember Aaron Donald sitting behind Kendall Langford for the first 4 games in 2014.

SAK11

Rookie
In some ways Fisher has failed to keep up with the ever-evolving NFL. His handling of Goff is one of those ways. When you see so many young QBs capable of playing right away, especially those drafted at or near the top of the draft, you have to question why it's our guy who's incapable. Goff was thrown to the wolves at Cal in his freshman year- his team lost game after game, yet he proved himself mentally and physically able to handle it all. In LA he'll play on a team with a run-first mentality (and a dominant RB leading the way), and a defense that at times is dominant. We're not asking him to throw the ball 40 times behind a garbage o-line with no hope of winning even 3 games here.
But this is what Fisher does. Young players are having impacts at the NFL level quicker than ever, and even though so many young QBs are starting right away as coaches believe that the best way to learn is on the field, Fisher decided to never really give Goff a chance at that day 1 starting job. Goff rarely got chances with the 1st team offense, and when he struggled, Fisher threw him under the bus with statements like Mannion now being the number 2 QB. QBs like Newton, Winston, Ryan, Stafford and some others had up and down preseasons like Goff, but all their coaches put them on the field, and showed that they had faith in those guys. If Goff has the ability the Rams apparently believe he has given the fact that he was just the #1 pick, they should have the faith to put him on the field. And with their style of play, that doesn't mean mailing in the first half or quarter of the season (this team beat Seattle in Seattle last season with Keenum throwing the ball 23 times for 103 yards!).

Hopefully in a few weeks this will all be water under the bridge as Goff gets to start sooner rather than later, but regardless, Fisher needs to go. It actually worries me that this team has enough talent to win in spite of him, allowing him to keep staying on as head coach.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Since when are we "throwing away" the early part of the season?

Did you watch Sam Bradford, Andrew Luck, Jameis Winston, and Cam Newton play their rookie years? None of those teams threw away their season by starting their #1 overall pick.

Frankly, if I am on the Rams, I feel much less confidence in our ability to have a successful season with Keenum at the helm than with Goff at the helm. I saw what Keenum did last year. I saw how every other part of the team had to make up for his limitations in order for the Rams to win. I'd rather let Goff learn on the job then force the rest of the team to carry Keenum all season long.

You want to talk about sacrificing games. Go watch Keenum play last year against Baltimore and San Francisco. Then come back and tell me that Goff will do less for this team.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/2006.htm

I don't have the faith in Jeff Fisher's handling of rookies that you do. I still remember Aaron Donald sitting behind Kendall Langford for the first 4 games in 2014.

Your last sentence, I would gladly take those results :LOL:

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I was at the Baltimore game. It was a mess. Keenum was not good. Goff, at this point..cannot get the call in. That is....IMO....less good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was at the Baltimore game. It was a mess. Keenum was not good. Goff, at this point..cannot get the call in. That is....IMO....less good.

I watched Goff gets calls in all preseason. Somehow, the Rams managed to run plays when Goff was on the field. Consider me not concerned.

Your last sentence, I would gladly take those results :LOL:

You'd gladly take those results? Hurting the team by sitting the better player?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Goff was never able to call a play? Wow wonder how they took so many snaps with him in at QB. His fubar's in practices are massively over blown. The only time I remember him calling a time out was with WR's not lining up right.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I watched Goff gets calls in all preseason. Somehow, the Rams managed to run plays when Goff was on the field. Consider me not concerned.
I'd be concerned if they have to scale everything way way down to accommodate his lack of understanding right now. I'd also rather have the whole playbook at my disposal where every player on offense can benefit as opposed to handicapping my team by running a third of it. And no, he can't remember all the plays right now. They just showed it on Hard Knocks. Because he called a scripted drive that was rehearsed in practice, doesn't mean the coaches have the luxury of adjusting on the fly if they need to.

You'd gladly take those results? Hurting the team by sitting the better player?
He's not the better player right now. He just has more upside.

Be patient. He'll probably be the better player by week 4.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be concerned if they have to scale everything way way down to accommodate his lack of understanding right now. I'd also rather have the whole playbook at my disposal where every player on offense can benefit as opposed to handicapping my team by running a third of it. And no, he can't remember all the plays right now. They just showed it on Hard Knocks. Because he called a scripted drive that was rehearsed in practice, doesn't mean the coaches have the luxury of adjusting on the fly if they need to.

I'd rather have the better QB than more of the playbook.

I don't care what they showed on Hard Knocks. It's a TV show. Him making a mistake in practice doesn't bother me. Citing those things is like people trying to tell me that one QB is better than another based on Gruden QB Camp.

He's not the better player right now. He just has more upside.

Be patient. He'll probably be the better player by week 4.

He is the better player right now.