It's official: Peyton Manning will retire on Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Guess we can forget getting any other NFL news , it'll be Payton Manning retiring 24/7 for the next week , :confused:
At least until Wednesday! That's when I exspect to see FA signing start flying!(y)

rdw

Pro Bowler
The secret is to copy an image of a drive-in-movie theater screen over his forehead and wala!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
What does me being in my 20's have to do with anything? Multiple athletes have rode off into the sunset. Elway himself did it. Jerome Bettis did it. What makes Manning so special? There were some reports that Denver was waiting to sign Osweiler with respect for Manning. That's bogus to me. He should have retired after the playoff loss to Indy.

Did you miss this part?

I take it you're in your 20's or something. (Can't insert blue font from iPhone?)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
(Can't insert blue font from iPhone?)

Yeah you can. I do it all the time.

Hold finger over the word. Wait for tri-bubble. Hit "select". Stretch borders to include which words you want in blue unless you want all of it, then hit "select all".

Carefully scroll up. Don't touch the box you just made. Touch the grey teardrop in the toolbar like you would normally and select the color.

Viola. or Walla... or Violá. Either way, you did it.

Now feel free to be as sarcastic as you like!!!

Your welcome.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Will be a sad day knowing we'll never get to see Manning play QB again. I was sad the day Warner retired. I was sad the day Favre retired (even if it was overdue) and I'm going to be sad tomorrow. One of the all time greats...maybe the all time great at QB.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Happy Peyton will get his due, however I cant help but think this reeks of him not being able to find a team that wants him in 2016. Denver has no choice but to cut him tomorrow, and I think if he had something cooking, he'd wait for his release.
Still and all, it wouldn't surprise me after TC if a "vet" QB gets hurt, you might see him pull a Favre.
Unlikely if he signs a network deal or something else in the interim, but I'd still say the door is slightly open

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Happy Peyton will get his due, however I cant help but think this reeks of him not being able to find a team that wants him in 2016. Denver has no choice but to cut him tomorrow, and I think if he had something cooking, he'd wait for his release.
Still and all, it wouldn't surprise me after TC if a "vet" QB gets hurt, you might see him pull a Favre.
Unlikely if he signs a network deal or something else in the interim, but I'd still say the door is slightly open

Well, of course there couldn't be any direct contacts for him to know for certain how wanted he was - but yes, his agent probably figured he'd get a big pay cut at least.

Then financially it boiled down to how much in endorsements he would get by playing another year, vs the risk of damaging his brand by playing at a lower level. I'm sure careful analyses were done by him and his agents.

And of course, there's the whole ego thing - on one hand, he wants to prove he can still play - otoh, he has a chance to go out on top despite having a much lower level of skill now.

RamBill

Legend
King: Rams had “mild interest” in Peyton, wouldn’t guarantee the starting job

Posted by Mike Florio on March 7, 2016, 5:41 AM EST

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...in-peyton-wouldnt-guarantee-the-starting-job/

The night before Peyton Manning’s retirement was announced, PFT posed a simple question: Is anyone preparing to pursue his services? A day after Manning’s departure from the game was announced, Peter King of TheMMQB.com reports that there was only one team that was “mildly interested” in Manning.

The Rams.

King explains that the Rams had not yet had a serious internal discussion about signing Manning, and that the Rams wouldn’t have guaranteed Manning the starting job. So he could have eventually lost the starting job to Case Keenum or to Nick Foles or to someone else.

Of course, Manning may have had zero interest in joining the vagabond circus that the Rams will be over the next three years, criss-crossing the L.A. area for offseason workouts, training camp, practices, and games.

King also suggests that the Texans possibly would have been interested, but remember this: Four years ago, when teams were lining up for a crack at Manning, the Texans weren’t interested. (King includes Houston in a list of teams that were chasing Peyton in 2012; PFT has consistently heard over the last four years that the Texans were the one team in which Manning had interest that was not reciprocated.)

Others in the media believe that Manning would have found a new home for 2016 if he’d truly wanted one, given the poor quality of quarterback play in the NFL. But Manning’s play was closer than poor to stellar for most of 2015, due in large part to an accumulation of injuries that a 39-year-old body can’t sufficiently recover from in the seven-day window before new injuries are inflicted.

So, basically, Manning’s spirit is willing, his flesh is weak (relatively speaking), and the NFL generally knows it.

This doesn’t mean that a contending team that loses its starter in November or December won’t dial up a fresh-and-rested Peyton, offering him an opportunity to join the effort for a shot at the quarterback equivalent of Brandon Browner’s back-to-back titles with two different teams.

If Manning has any remote interest in that possibility, he should ask the Broncos now to process his departure as the termination of his contract. If he’s placed on the reserve/retired list and if he is later released after the trade deadline, another team could disrupt the plan by claiming his rights on waivers. While that team would need to be in position to carry the prorated portion of Manning’s $19 million base salary for 2016, it’s a loose end that the ultra-prepared Manning wouldn’t want to have hanging around, if he wants to leave the door open for a potential return during the coming season.

Manning surely will be asked that question and many others at his retirement press conference on Monday. Whether the answers provide an accurate and candid glimpse into his mindset will be a different issue.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Manning is making his "Farewell Speech" as I write this! It's very tearful for him!
A definite 1st Ballet Hall of Famer!!

125dfbbb1bdf15ba7f2b4461641d7903902eca47d82a45dba756579b0164cc3d.jpg

SB50.png

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Here's the full retirement press conference. Good watch!

One of the greatest to play the game

RamBill

Legend
Peyton Manning will miss battles with Jeff Fisher
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...on-manning-will-miss-battles-with-jeff-fisher

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- During his long and emotional retirement speech on Monday afternoon, now former Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning didn't miss the opportunity to express his gratitude to any teammate, coach or opponent.

As Manning made his way through his remarks, the transcript of which can be found here, he mentioned Los Angeles Rams coach Jeff Fisher.

"I’m going to miss a steak dinner at St. Elmo's in Indianapolis after a win," Manning said. "My battles with players named Lynch, Lewis, Thomas, Bruschi, Fletcher, Dawkins, Seau, Urlacher, Polamalu, Harrison, Woodson and Reed. And with coaches like Fisher, Ryan, Belichick, Kiffin, Phillips, Rivera, LeBeau, Crennel, Capers, Lewis, the late Jim Johnson, and so many more. I always felt like I was playing against that middle linebacker or that safety or that defensive coach."

Of course, Fisher and the Rams only played Manning once since Fisher became Rams head coach and Manning went to Denver in 2012. The Rams beat the Broncos 22-7 in 2014.

But Fisher and Manning have one of the longest histories of any opposing coach and quarterback duo around. In fact, Manning's Colts played Fisher's Titans a whopping 19 times. As you can guess based on Manning's record with the Colts, he had his share of success against Fisher in those games, going 13-6. That record even includes a pair of late-season games in which the Colts had locked up playoff spots and Manning started but didn't finish the contests.

Throughout that time, there's no doubt that Fisher and Manning developed a mutual respect for each other. Before that 2014 meeting, which would turn out to be the last between Fisher and Manning in a regular-season game, Fisher made it clear that preparing for Manning was unlike anything else.

"It’s like playing a computer," Fisher said then. "That’s what he is. He runs that offense. He’s going to put them in the best possible position. He’s nearly impossible to fool and is hard to get down. If you rush more than four, the ball's coming out and he’s not going to take the hit. That’s just how he is. He puts that offense in the best possible position every snap. If the run’s not there, then he’s going to pick it up and he’s going to change and he’s going to put the ball down the field. He’s prepared. He’s prepared week after week, year after year.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Why one of Mannings first calls on retirement was with Brady

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bron...nt-calls-peyton-manning-made-was-to-tom-brady

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- An hour or so after he had told the world his pro football career was officially over -- as he started to wind down from an emotional, sometimes gut-wrenching, sometimes euphoric retirement eventthat was a combination of media conference and career celebration -- Peyton Manning was busily working through the long list of people he had either tried to call or text in recent days.

John Elway and Gary Kubiak were the first calls and then so many more followed. There were his former head coaches, called in career chronological order of course. There were former teammates.

There were friends and family, some of whom are the most trusted in Manning's inner circle. There were his own former play-callers, quarterback coaches, coaches he had played against, his college coach at Tennessee, Phillip Fulmer. And there were many players he had faced who he wanted to hear the news from him first.

Safe to say his cell phone bill for the month of March could arrive in a box.

"I really tried to get as many people as I could," Manning said. " … You kind of want them to hear it from you. And I knew it was going to get out Sunday, so I tried to do as much as I could before then."

Among the most prominent on the list, which may come as a surprise, were New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick -- "we had a good conversation" -- and the guy who Manning said was among the most important of those calls, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

Indianapolis Colts' comeback win over the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game in January of 2007 was "probably the one I'll always remember."

The Patriots led the game 21-3 at halftime and the Colts didn't lead until one minute remained, winning 38-34. Peyton Manning completed 27 of 47 passes for 347 yards and three touchdowns while Brady went 21-of-34 for 232 yards with a touchdown and an interception.

"That's just the one, the way they were down and they came back, the feeling in that stadium and how the playoffs had gone for Peyton," Archie Manning said. " … I know he's always enjoyed the challenge of competing against (the Patriots)."

The Colts and Manning went on to win Super Bowl XLI over the Chicago Bears -- Manning's first Super Bowl win.

"I've just always enjoyed being part of the fraternity of quarterbacks … and facing Tom and coach Belichick," Manning said. "I wanted to call them, to hear it from me and let them know I appreciated all of those battles."