It's official: Peyton Manning will retire on Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000641483/article/peytons-agent-broncos-need-to-make-move-soon

Almost a month has passed since Peyton Manning hoisted the Lombardi trophy and told the world he planned to hug his family and imbibe while deciding whether or not to ride into retirement. Surely by now enough beer has been drank. Still we've heard no decision from the quarterback on his future.

Manning's $19 million base salary for 2016 will become guaranteed at 4 p.m. ET on Tuesday, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.

Manning's agent, Tom Condon, told Dan Sileo of XEPRS-AM in San Diego on Friday the quarterback is aware the Denver Broncos will have to make a decision by Tuesday.

"There's a time when the contract becomes guaranteed, so they'll just have to make a move before then," Condon said, via Pro Football Talk. "He's completely aware of the guarantee obligation from the club on a date certain, and he knows that there has to be some accommodation prior to that."

If Manning doesn't retire before then, the Broncoswill be forced to cut the future Hall of Famequarterback.

As NFL Media's Jeff Darlington pointed out this week, Manning doesn't sound like a man ready totoss his cleats over a telephone wire.

"I couldn't answer that accurately," Condon said of whether Manning will retire. "I know better than to ask him. I understand that when he makes up his mind as to what he wants to do, he's gonna let me know. But as of now, he wanted to take his time and be patient with the decision and make sure that he is sure. ... Let's face it, he loves it. He loves being the locker room, he loves working out and of course the interaction with his teammates, and he loves the game."

Condon also wouldn't hint as to whether Manning would like to play for another team, if he didn't retire.

"I couldn't say," Condon said. "Obviously anybody who's going to make a move or is contemplating making a move like that is taking into consideration all the different football factors, and of course as meticulous in his preparation as he is about virtually everything you'd have to assume that he's considering all of the football factors and I'd guess less about the business."

Retirement or not, a decision is coming. Soon.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'm not sure what his angle is by prolonging this. the broncos aren't bringing him back at $19m. maybe he wants to get cut a day before FA starts to create some sort of buzz.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Peyton isn't doing this for the money, but I wonder if he loses money if he retires vs cut.

Looks like he's got $2.5M prorated bonus due. Not sure if that's a cap thing, or money yet to be paid.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Now they're reporting he will announce his retirement tomorrow.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.sbnation.com/2016/3/6/75...ent-announcement-retires-record-colts-broncos

Peyton Manning set to retire from NFL on Monday, per report
By James Brady  @JamesBradySBN

With his 40th birthday approaching, Manning will hang it up after a record-setting career.

Peyton Manning is going out on top. The NFL's all-time leading passer announced his retirement today, bringing his storied career to a close just a month after he captured his second Super Bowl win. Manning will reportedly announce his retirement at a news conference on Monday.

Though Manning struggled in Super Bowl 50, he's one of just 12 signal callers to win multiple titles as a starter, and is the only starting quarterback to win a ring with two different franchises. The victory over the Carolina Panthers was also the 200th of his career, moving him past Brett Favre and into first place on the all-time quarterback wins leaderboard.

The news of his retirement has been expected for a while. Manning is set to make $19 million if he's still on the roster when the new league year begins on March 9, a steep price for a quarterback who will turn 40 on March 24.

Manning was prepared for this being his final season, too. He told Bill Belichick that "this might be my last rodeo" after the Broncos beat the New England Patriots in the AFC Championship. On Monday before the Super Bowl, it was reported that Manning had told his close friends that he expected Super Bowl 50 to be his final game. His father, Archie Manning, also said he expected his son to hang it up after the Super Bowl win.

After the game, Manning's teammates praised the future Hall of Famer and reflected on his incredible legacy.

"[He] has a legacy that makes him one of the greatest quarterbacks and makes for a nice ending to a career," said cornerback Chris Harris Jr.

Injured offensive tackle Ryan Clady echoed many people's sentiments when he noted that now seemed to be the perfect time to walk away from the game.

"I don't know why he wouldn't retire now," Clady said. "Man, he's played a long time. ... He understood what he needed to do to win this championship, and that was just let the defense do its thing. I think it's good to go out on top. I don't know why he wouldn't."

In his final season, Manning completed just 59.8 percent of his passes and threw 17 interceptions against just nine touchdowns in 10 regular season games.

Despite his noticeable decline, Manning really had nothing left to prove in his 18th year as an NFL quarterback. He threw for 71,940 career yards, tossed 539 regular season touchdowns and sported a career quarterback rating of 96.5.

Manning holds numerous NFL records, including most touchdown passes in a season (55) or career, most passing yards in a season (5,477) or career, and most quarterback wins including the playoffs (200).

In addition to the Super Bowl victory, Manning's final season was marred by scandals relating to PEDs and the resurfacing of sexual harassment allegations dating back to his days at the University of Tennessee. He vehemently denied the Al Jazeera report about alleged HGH use, and has made no comment about the sexual harassment story that's been brought back to the public eye in recent weeks. The fallout from either scandal remains unknown.

Since being made the first overall pick by the Indianapolis Colts in 1998, Manning has been named to 14 Pro Bowls, has been named a first-team All-Pro seven times, and has been the league MVP a record five times. He led the NFL in passing yards three times and was the NFL Offensive Player of the Year twice.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/06/report-peyton-manning-will-retire-on-monday/#content

Report: Peyton Manning will retire on Monday
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 6, 2016

Peyton Manning is bringing his Hall of Fame career to an end.

Manning will announce his retirement on Monday in Denver, Chris Mortensen of ESPN reports. Mortensen has long been close to the Manning family, and so this report — unlike a Denver Post report last week that proved to be premature — is certain to be correct.

In the month since the Broncos won Super Bowl 50, Manning has toyed with the idea of coming back for another year. The Broncos did not seem interested in having him back — and were certainly not interested in paying him anything close to the $19 million salary his contract called for — and so there could have been an awkward situation in which Manning was released.

But that’s not going to happen. Manning has decided to go out on a high note, hoisting the Vince Lombardi Trophy in the final game of his career. One of the greatest players in NFL history will now ride off into the sunset.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/06/broncos-announce-peyton-mannings-retirement/#content

Broncos announce Peyton Manning’s retirement
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 6, 2016

Peyton Manning is officially retired.

The Broncos announced this morning that Manning has informed the team he’s calling it a career. A ceremony in Denver is scheduled for Monday.

“When you look at everything Peyton has accomplished as a player and person, it’s easy to see how fortunate we’ve been to have him on our team,” Broncos General Manager John Elway said.” Peyton was everything that we thought he was and even more—not only for the football team but in the community. There’s no question that his work ethic is what made him into one of the great quarterbacks of all time.

All the film study Peyton did and the process that he went through with game planning and understanding what the other teams did was second-to-none. Peyton was a player that guys wanted to play with. That made us better as a team, and I’m thrilled that we were able to win a championship in his final year. Peyton won a lot of awards and set a lot of records, but to me, what he helped our team accomplish during the last four years is what stands out the most. I’m very thankful Peyton chose to play for the Denver Broncos, and I congratulate him on his Hall of Fame career.”

Broncos coach Gary Kubiak thanked Manning for the one year they spent together, a year that ended with the Broncos winning Super Bowl 50.

“It was a blessing to coach Peyton Manning,” Kubiak said. “Nobody worked harder at the game and nobody prepared harder than Peyton. His preparation was the best I’ve ever seen with how he went about his business.

There was nothing like his work habits. Each and every week, he did everything he could to get ready to play not only against the defense but even against the coordinator. After competing against Peyton many, many times, I already had great respect for him. But being with him this season, going through what we went through and accomplishing what we accomplished—that was special.”

And now a special career has ended.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Guess we can forget getting any other NFL news , it'll be Payton Manning retiring 24/7 for the next week , :confused:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
It's honestly about time. Zero reason to wait as long as he did. The Broncos could have signed Brock already instead of franchising him. Selfish move on his part. We get it, you're the greatest thing since sliced bread, but let us move on with our lives please.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
It's honestly about time. Zero reason to wait as long as he did. The Broncos could have signed Brock already instead of franchising him. Selfish move on his part. We get it, you're the greatest thing since sliced bread, but let us move on with our lives please.

I take it you're in your 20's or something. (Can't inser blue font from iPhone?)

Pretty sure this was a difficult decision for Manning, to be criticized for not rushing into it may be a little harsh....Sonny :):LOL:

Last edited:

tempests

Hall of Fame

Guy has spent half his life in the NFL. Walking away from something he lives and loves, he should be given as much time as he needs.

Last edited:

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I take it you're in your 20's or something. (Can't inser blue font from iPhone?)

Pretty sure this was a difficult decision for Manning, to be criticized for not rushing into it may be a little harsh....Sonny :):LOL:

Disagree about being a difficult decision...I would have been stunned beyond belief if he hadn't headed off into the sunset...I thought it was a done deal the day after the SB..It also has had no bearing on signing Osweiler IMO...I think they knew this was his decision all along...

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree about being a difficult decision...I would have been stunned beyond belief if he hadn't headed off into the sunset...I thought it was a done deal the day after the SB..It also has had no bearing on signing Osweiler IMO...I think they knew this was his decision all along...

Even if he chose not to retire, he would have been cut by the Broncos - so yes, they knew they needed to sign Osweiler either way.

I think Manning was virtually certain he'd retire - but he's a highly competitive athlete, and there's undoubtedly an inner voice saying "You can still play, Peyton! Your experience will guide your team to run circles around opposing defenses, you are the best at knowing what to do, even if you're not a young buck!"

Heck, there were enough posters here arguing that even with his physical skills shot, he was smart enough to still help the Rams. Why shouldn't he at least carefully consider it?

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes

What does me being in my 20's have to do with anything? Multiple athletes have rode off into the sunset. Elway himself did it. Jerome Bettis did it. What makes Manning so special? There were some reports that Denver was waiting to sign Osweiler with respect for Manning. That's bogus to me. He should have retired after the playoff loss to Indy.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Guy has spent half his life in the NFL. Walking away from something he lives and loves, he should be given as much time as he needs.
Well when the NFL constantly reminds you that this is a business and a team caters to a player because he's played for a billion years just doesn't sit right with me. Any other place of employment rushes people out of retirement when they don't want to.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I wonder if Papa John and dead Nationwide kid will be at the podium at the press conference?

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I wonder if Papa John and dead Nationwide kid will be at the podium at the press conference?
Bet'cha he'll be holding a Budweiser though

manning-bud.jpg

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
I like Payton. It's hard not to. He was absolutely hilarious on SNL. How Eli also got to host it, I'll never understand. Payton definitely got the personality between those two.

I just can't wait for Brady to either retire, or suffer a career-ending injury. Hopefully the latter.