It's going to be hard to pass on Clowney

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would have given my left nut for a full ride to play football somewhere. And I would have made sure to get an education for a back up plan. You don't think the scholarship is a reward? I'll bet there are plenty of people out there paying that money for an education that would disagree. Did he slack off on the education side too? I have no idea. I do not think it is fair for them not to get SOMETHING since they really can't work, play sports and get an education.

By the way I work at a major University and see some of these guys around campus, some of them bust their hump to get it done, others are thinking they are on easy street and it will all fall in their laps.

Apparently he was not a very good student before going to South Carolina. I could not find anything on his educational transcript while he was there.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/12/sports/ncaafootball/12clowney.html

Yeah you're right I suppose I overlooked the scholarship a little. Im sure he did slack off education wise as most nfl prospects do, but thats neither here nor there. Should he have worked harder to secure a backup plan, sure he probably should have. however if he didn't, and he is placed in a situation where its okay Jadaveon, you would likely be the number one overall pick in the nfl this year but you can't leave yet. The only possible things that could happen to him playing another full season are negative. Everything leading up to that was a product of his decisions, but once he reached a point where he could do nothing but risk a shot at his dream, fame, and financial stability, i might have pumped the breaks too. Been a little more cautious. thats just my take, so i don't think it should be a real concern.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Yeah you're right I suppose I overlooked the scholarship a little. Im sure he did slack off education wise as most nfl prospects do, but thats neither here nor there. Should he have worked harder to secure a backup plan, sure he probably should have. however if he didn't, and he is placed in a situation where its okay Jadaveon, you would likely be the number one overall pick in the nfl this year but you can't leave yet. The only possible things that could happen to him playing another full season are negative. Everything leading up to that was a product of his decisions, but once he reached a point where he could do nothing but risk a shot at his dream, fame, and financial stability, i might have pumped the breaks too. Been a little more cautious. thats just my take, so i don't think it should be a real concern.
Do you know if he has ever admitted to "pumping the breaks" and his reasoning? I could see that going a long way toward calming some of those fears for someone that is going to potentially pay him.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you know if he has ever admitted to "pumping the breaks" and his reasoning? I could see that going a long way toward calming some of those fears for someone that is going to potentially pay him.

Nope. I mean I've heard others speculate the same, but like i said thats just my take. What it looked like to me watching him

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Texan's will take a QB wont they? Age old adage is if you don't have a franchise QB - Get one!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For 3 years, Schnieder kept trying to find a QB without picking a QB over another much higher rated player. That's one reason why he's an elite GM. He doesn't just pick a good QB over a great player.

I used to be on the other side of that argument. I've since seen the light. The 2011 and 2012 drafts turned me around. Teams passing up on Watt and Quinn to take QBs like Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert, that should be proof enough for anyone.

I think that's more about evaluation than anything. Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert were cruddy QB prospects(at least I thought they were). And you're always going to have GMs that make bad evaluations.

Schneider did a great job...but he's not the rule, imo, he's the exception. Most teams who try to do that end up failing. Look at the Chiefs.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I think that's more about evaluation than anything. Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert were cruddy QB prospects(at least I thought they were). And you're always going to have GMs that make bad evaluations.

Schneider did a great job...but he's not the rule, imo, he's the exception. Most teams who try to do that end up failing. Look at the Chiefs.
The chiefs failed?

Remind me again how many games they won last year as a failed team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Watching this guy on YouTube and he is a rare prospect. Guys that big and strong shouldn't be able to move that quick and fast. To be able to pair him and Quinn together for 5 to 8 years would give us a dominating defense for a long time to come. I know he doesn't fit a need, but Adrian Peterson didn't fill the Vikings biggest need when they picked him either.

I am unimpressed by this highlight film.

What is it that people see here that I am missing?

I don't see any special plays at all.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The chiefs failed?

Remind me again how many games they won last year as a failed team.

After they acquired a former #1 pick?

It's been 26 years since a Chiefs drafted QB won a playoff game.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
For 3 years, Schnieder kept trying to find a QB without picking a QB over another much higher rated player. That's one reason why he's an elite GM. He doesn't just pick a good QB over a great player.

I used to be on the other side of that argument. I've since seen the light. The 2011 and 2012 drafts turned me around. Teams passing up on Watt and Quinn to take QBs like Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert, that should be proof enough for anyone.
Try to keep that on the down low Max. Lets hope that their are GM's that still haven't learned.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I don't want his attitude on my team and I consider him another Albert haynesworth.

Just started looking into this thread and only read the first page lol, so if this was covered then my bad. I will read the other pages after I reply here. I know you've talked at length about him, but I have to add my 2 cents to that one line at least. Haynesworth was a beast under Fisher, and his playing under him is what lead him to that monster contract from the skins. So if getting Clowney means we get a elite talent that dominates for most of his first contract, then thats fine. ok, thats all, off to read the rest now.

RamzFanz

Damnit
No way we pass on JC at 2 unless they learn more than we know. How could you? Quinn/Clowney in this division? That's lights out defense right there. Rams have holes. Rams need to fill those holes to win. Not at 2 though when you have the potential to build a historic pass rush.

HOWEVER, I would so trade out and grab some seriouse talent in other positions if I could. If I couldn't, Clowney is a no brainer.

Alan

Legend
Tron late to party party:
Just started looking into this thread and only read the first page lol, so if this was covered then my bad. I will read the other pages after I reply here. I know you've talked at length about him, but I have to add my 2 cents to that one line at least. Haynesworth was a beast under Fisher, and his playing under him is what lead him to that monster contract from the skins. So if getting Clowney means we get a elite talent that dominates for most of his first contract, then thats fine. ok, thats all, off to read the rest now.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaynAl20.htm
Two good years leading up to his FA contract. Those two good years happened in 2007 & 2008. His first year was in 2002 so we're talking about two years out of how many? Go to the link for his career stats.

I'm hoping that he'll be a huge factor in our being able to trade down. Other than that I'll pass.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Watching this guy on YouTube and he is a rare prospect. Guys that big and strong shouldn't be able to move that quick and fast. To be able to pair him and Quinn together for 5 to 8 years would give us a dominating defense for a long time to come. I know he doesn't fit a need, but Adrian Peterson didn't fill the Vikings biggest need when they picked him either.

I'm not so sure.
I'm getting a ton of red flags on the guy.
From him being just an athlete and not an instinctive/intuitive football player, to work ethic, to effort......IMHO too risky to spend a pick that high on a guy with that many red flags.