Isaac Bruce is a 2020 Hall of Famer

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Debacled

Starter
I would hope to think a lack of recognition at the time he played (in the shadow of Jerry Rice) wouldn't be enough to keep him out. He had amazing years that on just about any other team would have made him a household name. Unfortunate at best

dang

Legend
No chance Holt and Brice get in the same year. Bruce had the better career but Holt had more accolades. I just hope one of them gets in this year so the other can be considered in the near future.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
He was in the round prior to the 15 semifinalist selections. They probably started the fan vote before they got down to semifinalists.

Anyway, looks like this comment didn't age well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How good was Ike?
In the 4 seasons PRIOR TO the GSOT, with the likes of Chris Miller (post 20 concussion version)Mark Rypien (broken down version), Steve Walsh, Tony Banks & Jaime Martin throwing him the ball:
4 seasons, 4,392 yards, 26 TD averaging 90 yards per game.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Isaac Bruce is a legitimate HOF caliber WR in any meaningful way, by any set of reasonable metrics.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
How good was Ike?
In the 4 seasons PRIOR TO the GSOT, with the likes of Chris Miller (post 20 concussion version)Mark Rypien (broken down version), Steve Walsh, Tony Banks & Jaime Martin throwing him the ball:
4 seasons, 4,392 yards, 26 TD averaging 90 yards per game.
Yeah man, Bruce was elite right out of the gate surrounded by JAG's and bad QB's.

Speed, elusiveness, hands, route running, intelligence, character.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I remember his rookie year, I think it was his first game, he blocked a punt. He was just a player.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Special player! Mine and most everyone’s most cherished Super Bowl memory.

View attachment 33140
View attachment 33141
View attachment 33142
View attachment 33143
And they won’t catch him today!

View attachment 33144

Years ago I saw a DV interview and he claimed that Bruce ASKED for that play sometime in the game. He said they were "fronting" him all game long and he thought if the throw was placed right it would be a big play or a TD. Warner got hit as he threw it but got it there.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Word starting to leak...Steve Atwater made it. Tony Boselli and LeRoy Butler did not. Richard Seymour missed the cut.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Michael Irvin: It's 'amazing' Isaac Bruce still isn't in the Hall of Fame
"They dominate everything and he was the lead man in the domination. So how do have everybody in there around him and not put him in."
Sam-Masterson.jpg

SAM MASTERSON
JANUARY 30, 2020 - 5:31 PM

MIAMI (KMOX) - We will find out on Saturday if Isaac Bruce is going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But current Hall of Fame wide receiver Michael Irvin is still wondering why "The Reverend" isn't already in.

"I always say this, when you look back over the history of this game and you see these teams that you cannot tell or talk about the NFL without them being mentioned, Isaac Bruce was a part of the Greatest Show on Turf. That's something that everybody in that era knew about," Irvin told St. Louis Pro Football Hall of Fame selector Howard Balzer in Miami. "How do you say, with those numbers, in that era, in that time, what he put up, that he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame?

"For those six, seven, eight years, they dominated, they dominated everything. And he was the lead man in the domination. So how do have everybody in there around him and not put him in. It's just not right. It's just not right."

Irvin is hoping Bruce, who is a finalist for the fourth time, will get the call on Saturday.

Bruce retired in 2009 as the Rams’ all-time leader in catches, receiving yards, and most yards from scrimmage. He was named to four Pro Bowls and retired with the second-most receiving yards in NFL history, a list that he now sits fifth on.

Former Rams wideouts Bruce and Torry Holt, and Lutheran North High School in St. Louis grad Steve Atwater were all named finalists this year.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Former Rams WR Isaac Bruce knows he’s a Hall of Famer. He’s just waiting on the call.
BY C. ISAIAH SMALLS II
JANUARY 30, 2020 12:20 PM

Isaac Bruce doesn’t like the word “if.”

He’s a “when” man — as in, “when” he gets the call that he has been selected as part of the 2020 Pro Football Hall of Fame class, “when” he makes his speech in Canton, Ohio, and, arguably most important, “when” he makes it to the Broward County Sports Hall of Fame.

“Really put in bold letters: that Broward hasn’t put me in their hall of fame,” Bruce quipped.

To put it differently, the former St. Louis Rams receiver believes in timing. That notion — plus his reserved, self-confident personality — is part of the reason that makes this next point so startling.

Despite the numbers, personal accolades and the Super Bowl 34 victory, Bruce finds himself on the outside of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He’s not bitter. He’s not happy about it, either. He has instead put his faith in the process — even if this is his fourth time as a finalist.

“I really didn’t,” Bruce replied when asked if he thought it would take this long to get to Canton. “I thought and still think it’d be a smooth transition just like any other hall of fame I’d been inducted to.”

Former LA Rams receiver and finalist for NFL Hall of Fame, Isaac Bruce, works out at his Fort Lauderdale gym as Super Bowl comes to S. Florida on Monday, January 27, 2020. Bruce reflects on his career, the Hall of Fame, and 2020 Super Bowl Champs. Carl Juste CJUSTE@MIAMIHERALD.COM

Exactly why he hasn’t received his gold jacket is a tough question. Hall of Fame voters are essentially told one thing: pick the best players based on their play. By that measure, Bruce should have been enshrined in Canton a long time ago. He’s one of five pass-catchers in NFL history with at least 1,000 receptions and 90 receiving touchdowns. His 15,208 receiving yards also ranks fifth all time.

“He’s definitely deserving,” said former teammate and fellow 2020 Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist Torry Holt. “If you look at his numbers, the numbers speak for itself.”

Bruce’s resume screams Hall of Fame, but still the question remains: why isn’t he in?

“There are human beings in the process,” joked USA Today columnist Jarrett Bell who has been a Hall of Fame voter for 23 years. “... when you have human beings involved, you have biases, you have influences, you have imperfections.”

Although a player’s on-the-field performance is said to be the only thing that matters, precedent would suggest otherwise. Take Terrell Owens, for example. When Owens didn’t make it his first year, many believed his relationship with the media was the cause.

But Bruce was different. At a time when ego began to rule the receiver position, the Fort Lauderdale native remained selfless. It’s a trait that endeared him to teammates to this day.

“He showed me you can be really good and be really dominate but also have a chill button,” said Holt, who was drafted to St. Louis in 1999.

A man of faith, Bruce attributed his humility to his Christian upbringing.

“Knowing that the talent, the ability, the opportunities that I was experiencing was a gift and a had nothing to do with anything that I could do was important to me,” Bruce said

So if it wasn’t his attitude, it had to be something else, right? Enter the “team quality” argument.

Bruce spent 14 season with the Rams and was a key figure of “The Greatest Show on Turf,” a nickname centered on the team’s high-octane, revolutionary offense. Their unprecedented production helped propel running back Marshall Faulk, quarterback Kurt Warner and offensive lineman Orlando Pace into the Hall of Fame.

“Those numbers are not easy to get when you got Torry Holt, Marshall Faulk on the same team,” Bell said of Bruce.

Still, Bell later added having such great teammates might have hurt Bruce’s chances in some voters’ minds. Former Dolphins receiver Mark Clayton found this laughable.

“That sound like the biggest crock of [expletive] I’ve ever heard,” Clayton said. “What you did speaks for itself. Not them or whoever. How they think the Greatest Show on Turf would exist? They had great players. It was a great team, but it all comes down to pulling your own weight.”

Winning came first to anyone in that Rams locker room.

“We had a group of guys that were very unselfish, very happy for one another achieving success in the offense as individuals as well as what we were doing team wise,” Holt said.

For a second, forget all the proverbial obstacles that have kept Bruce from getting his gold jacket. Think about what it means to be a Hall of Famer. Or, better yet, consider this excerpt from the Hall of Fame’s creed: “We elevate the Game by LOVING [sic] those who helped build it.”

Former LA Rams receiver and finalist for NFL Hall of Fame, Isaac Bruce, works out at his Fort Lauderdale gym as Super Bowl comes to S. Florida on Monday, January 27, 2020. Bruce reflects on his career, the Hall of Fame, and 2020 Super Bowl Champs. Carl Juste CJUSTE@MIAMIHERALD.COM
The significance of this statement lies on the fact that the “Greatest Show on Turf” helped usher in a new era of NFL offense which heavily focused on passing. Bruce sees threads of that vaunted Rams offense throughout the NFL, but most noticeably with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Patrick Mahomes “has a plethora of weapons man that he can distribute football to and all of those guys eat,” Bruce said. “They’re fast, they’re formidable and [Chiefs coach] Andy [Reid] puts them in great positions to be successful.”

In a perfect world, 2020 would be the three-time Pro Bowler’s year. Super Bowl 54 is being played in his backyard. The Hall of Fame vote will be held there as well. Bruce, however, doesn’t want to get wrapped up in all of that.

“I was thinking that last year in Atlanta when my team was playing: ’It’d be only right.’” Bruce said with a laugh.

Whether he’s honored in 2020 or not, one thing remains true: Bruce’s attitude won’t waver. He’ll continue doing what brings him joy — staying in shape, running his Fort Lauderdale gym, being a booster at his alma mater Dillard High — and won’t give up faith. He already knows what he’s going to wear (“slacks, maybe a white shirt and no hard shoes, some soft shoes”) and even narrowed down his list of presenters to three.

“My expectation hasn’t diminished at all,” Bruce continued. “In fact, it’s gone up.”

Former LA Rams receiver and finalist for NFL Hall of Fame, Isaac Bruce, works out at his Fort Lauderdale gym as Super Bowl comes to S. Florida on Monday, January 27, 2020. Bruce reflects on his career, the Hall of Fame, and 2020 Super Bowl Champs.

Former LA Rams receiver and finalist for NFL Hall of Fame, Isaac Bruce, works out at his Fort Lauderdale gym as Super Bowl comes to S. Florida on Monday, January 27, 2020. Bruce reflects on his career, the Hall of Fame, and 2020 Super Bowl Champs.

1 of 3
Former LA Rams receiver and finalist for NFL Hall of Fame, Isaac Bruce, works out at his Fort Lauderdale gym as Super Bowl comes to S. Florida on Monday, January 27, 2020. Bruce reflects on his career, the Hall of Fame, and 2020 Super Bowl Champs. CARL JUSTE CJUSTE@MIAMIHERALD.COM