Is Sam Bradford better than Nick Foles?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think even they knew that until the offers started coming in.

"We'll give you a first."
"Nah."

"We'll give you a first and third."
"Nah."

"We'll give you our QB and a 2nd and a 5th."
"Hmmmmm."

Seriously though, I think they knew they couldn't afford to go into the next year with Bradford as the primary option in year 4 of their tenure, and it was more than likely because of the injury - not because they thought he wasn't capable of winning. They were probably looking for a decent free agent and were planning on maneuvering in the draft to get the best QB they scouted before Kelly came in and rocked their world. I mean, they called us. It wasn't the other way around. And I haven't heard any stories of the Rams putting out feelers for other teams' QBs either, so....
Seems accurate to me, based on all the reports I've read.

Who is the better QB? Who is more talented?

I keep coming back to what Fisher said when he took the job and said more times than I can count... he loves the potential of Sam Bradford.

So, I kind of look at it this way... IF Bradford hadn't incurred those injuries, would he still be Fisher's man? Kind of hard to say, because we don't know how Bradford would have performed as a much healthier version. But, based on the admittedly small sample of when he was healthy under Fisher, my gut says Fisher would be "all in" on Bradford still. I have very little doubt in my mind about that.

So, the trade IMO was all about the injuries, not Bradford's potential and Fisher's beliefs of his abilities as a top tier QB.

So, if the OP is asking which QB is better (more talented)? Go ask Fisher... my belief is he traded him because he got this offer:
Trade a QB he still believes is very talented but is a big injury risk
For... a QB who appears to not be as big an injury risk

The trade didn't happen because Fisher lost faith in Bradford's ability to be a very good QB... the trade happened because Fisher was in a jam... the only way out was to do a trade that involved a decent QB coming to the Rams... that trade fell in his lap and he pulled the trigger. This much is fact... Snead said it and so did Fisher.

One last thought... if we're asking which is the more gifted QB... while Fisher has lots more NFL experience as a HC and should certainly know QB talent when he sees it (and he certainly saw it in Bradford), I am of the opinion that Kelly knows QB talent better than Fisher. I believe Kelly made such an agressive move based mostly on talent... obviously, the reward potential (his assessment of Bradford's abilities to be a top tier QB) outweighed the risks.

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
2012 Eagles, Pro Football Focus
3 green WRs
1 green TE
4 green OL
2 green RB
1 green FB

upload_2015-3-19_8-4-56.png

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
2013 Eagles

11 greens
5 reds
Look how few plays the OL missed in 2013 and how HIGH the greens are 48, 22, 26 on the oline

upload_2015-3-19_8-7-8.png

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's Bradford's decision making, as he tends to be too safe, too much.
Different coach... different scheme... different personnel... we'll see if any (or all) of that changes Bradford this year (assuming he stays upright).

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
2010 Rams
3 greens
lots of reds
1 green OL

upload_2015-3-19_8-9-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-3-19_8-9-22.png
    upload_2015-3-19_8-9-22.png
    221 KB · Views: 125

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If you watch a Foles highlight vid you'll see him make a ton of throws like that. Somewhere on YouTube is a clip of all 27 of his TD passes from 2013 and some of them were throws that were just outstanding.
You mean his 27 TDs against the Raiders vid?

Actually, I saw that moments after he was signed. And no, there's none of that.
But don't' get me wrong. I'm excited he's our QB and I've been studying him a lot.
There's nothing wrong with comparing strengths and weaknesses. I'm not holding onto a Bradford crushing or anything, ya know.

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
A lot of people don't like to say it that way - and I have a lot of sympathy with them, because it looks like you're "throwing the team" under the bus to make excuses for one player. But I fear that's the way it was. Otherwise why haven't we had a winning season since forever? Because we've had too many poor players. The disappointing thing was we had a real talent at the QB position but couldn't get support around him. One thing that did annoy me was when people talked about Bradford's decision making - and that he never threw it down the field (which he did actually - and he did it pretty well when he did) - it was because guys weren't open. What the hey did people want him to do??

I saw this post and then posted the Eagles and Rams grades according to Football Focus. As anyone can see there is some truth to what you are saying.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
1. Stay healthy

2. take calculated risks and be less conservative

3. there is/has been talk about difficulty reading defenses (IMO backed up by the struggles he had making line calls in McDaniels offense)

4. put up good to excellent YPA

5. throw 30 TD's

He's going to have to do these things in Philly or Kelly's house is going to get burned down. CK staked a lot on this deal, and it wasn't a popular move with fans and for all we know the FO might even be wondering WTF he just did and why they gave him full power over personnel. If Bradford is just average, which he has been most of his career IMO, or goes down with an injury for several weeks (and if it's his knee again the media will feast on that) this will be a black mark against Kelly with the owner of the Eagles.

@A55VA6 I agree he is too conservative and the NFL is currently set up to favor the QB's and type of offenses that are a bit more wide open.
Now keep in mind you used the word "NEVER" when describing these things, so you opened the door.

1. Two years healthy (all 16 games)

2. See this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjh3DeDAPFw

3. Nonsensical. But either way, "Never" and "There has been talk" are different animals. Reading defenses means you take a pre-snap read and turn it into a post-snap decision. When that happens, you typically find an open receiver and complete a pass. That's essentially all there is to reading a defense. Never does that? Every QB can read a defense.

4. Never had a good to excellent YPA? Is that a function of scheme or a fatal flaw? He had 17 games in his career where his YPA was up over 7. Again, never?

5. Neither has Foles.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Bradford sucks
He's an eagle - I hope he stays healthy for at least 50% of the games

Nick Foles is the Rams QB now so by default that makes him better

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Bradford sucks

Agree with everything but the first line. Moving to another team doesn't mean a guy sucks.
How did we get Foles?

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
Bradford sucks

according to PFF Sam ranks about even (no color), Foles is in the red.

I do hope he stays healthy for him AND for us not giving back a #3 but I understand your views and the other Dieter

MrMotes

Starter
If he can stay healthy he will rip the league a new arsehole in Kellly's offense.

I know the mathematical limit is 158.3 for the passer rating but i gotta figure in Kelly's offense Bradford is gonna break 200...

RamseyF

Rookie
Name
Ramsey
And I, for one, am not concerned with how he does statistically . . .jsut that he's healthy

MrMotes

Starter
4. Never had a good to excellent YPA? Is that a function of scheme or a fatal flaw?

This really is the million dollar question. Why doesn't Bradford attack defenses more aggressively?

Kurt Warner has basically said Bradford just doesn't have the balls. But you see him make that throw you posted and you wonder why doesn't he do that more often? Why so many dump offs and sideline throws that often go safely out of bounds?

You think it's scheme but then you see Kellen Clemens come in and almost exclusively attack the middle of the field, very un-Bradford like.

If Bradford is a little gunshy, well that's coachable. Whereas Rams coaches might be telling him it's never a mistake to opt for the safer throw and any drive that ends in a kick is a good drive, another coach might have a whole different take watching film.

It's going to be really interesting to see how Bradford does in Phili...