Is it time to hold Wade accountable?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Montanaramfan

Rookie
Wade seems like a player's coach, a likable old sage that's a father figure (or grandfather) to most of these guys. Sure, he has 40 years of coaching experience, but at some point, don't we have to start holding him accountable for this terrible defense filled with players who have starred elsewhere? Where are the unique looks, the exotic blitzes, the pressure on the quarterback that we should be generating? Where has Brockers gone the last month? Suh? Why have I seen, game after game, plays where the opposing running back runs right into the 4 or 5 hole and we don't even have a linebacker in the gap? How do two Eagle receivers get past our secondary on the same play for a game-changing play? How does Peters stand and watch a guy run into the end zone from five yards out? Where is the discipline on this unit?

There was a drive in the Eagles game, at the end of the third or beginning of the fourth, where the Eagles simply ran or passed for 5-8 yards every play while our defense just stood there and watched them drive down the field. Wade's bend-but-don't-break defense is getting this team beat. Forget Jared and the offense, I have faith they'll fix their issues. They've proven that they can be a first-class unit in this league. So far, I haven't seen anything like that from our defense. It's time Wade takes a look at his scheme and players and makes a few changes.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
How do you suggest that we, fans on a message board who have never come close to doing the job he's been doing for decades, hold Wade Phillips accountable?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do you suggest that we, fans on a message board who have never come close to doing the job he's been doing for decades, hold Wade Phillips accountable?
FANS UNITE!!!
Hold Phillips accountable!
Hold Phillips accountable!
PertinentGroundedAfricancivet-size_restricted.gif

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wade Phillips is the most "fired" coach in the NFL. Of course having been coaching over 40 years it's not much of a surprise.

Wade seems slow to adjust, and is overly loyal to players who aren't getting it done and reluctant to try rookies in their place, (Obo, Kiser, for Barron).

Thing is, who would you replace him with?

fearsomefour

Legend
Wade Phillips is the most "fired" coach in the NFL. Of course having been coaching over 40 years it's not much of a surprise.

Wade seems slow to adjust, and is overly loyal to players who aren't getting it done and reluctant to try rookies in their place, (Obo, Kiser, for Barron).

Thing is, who would you replace him with?
I'm sure there are plenty of capable guys.
The real question to me is do you replace him with a guy who runs his scheme (more or less) or do we end up with another switch in personnel.....like back to a 4/3?
My gut (which is often wrong with these things) tells me Wade will be back and his replacement is being groomed by someone on the staff already.
It will be very interesting offseason.
Something obviously broken.
The scheme?
The players matched with the scheme?
Execution by the players?
I would expect Wade to be back with 5-6 new starters on D next year.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Its not just a scheme thing. The players just are not getting it done either. Is it they are a bad fit for system? Is the system outdated these days? Or are they just not good enough? Whatever the case, I'm more concerned about the defense than the offense.

This is the time of year defenses tend to play better. They have almost a full season of tape on the offense and have a better idea how to stop them. That is not the case with our defense. If we go out early it might be because the offense is no longer scoring 35 points every game. But look no further than the defense because they're still looking the same as they've been most the season. If you need to offense to score more than 30 to win you have a problem on defense.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Irrespective of what happens the remainder of this season, Wade's scheme needs to be adjusted in the offseason, as well as making some personnel adjustments. First, we need to make this a more traditional 3-4 with a fatbody nose tackle who plays two-gap and forces the flow of the running lanes. Right now we have all three down linemen repeatedly running themselves out of running plays on which the opponents go for big gainers. It's not an accident, it's other OC's exploiting our aggressiveness and desire to get to the QB.

Second, Barron needs to not be a Ram next year. Cut him in the offseason barring the unlikely event that someone is willing to trade for him. His best fit at this point is as a 4-3 OLB. We can't continue with two undersized ILBs, but Littleton is playing well enough to keep. We need a thumper, someone who is smart and quick to diagnose plays, has more beef on his frame, and is a sure tackler (cough *Micah Kiser* cough ...).

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Sean mcvay gonna fire wade ? I dont think so

Its year 2 of this rebuild and switch of scheme. Wade was given alot of talent and so far it has not worked as plan, but we have the talent guys !

Mistakes are causing us games , injuries cost us games . I think this defense can get it together and as long as they figure it out for the playoff , we will be just fine .

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sean mcvay gonna fire wade ? I dont think so

Its year 2 of this rebuild and switch of scheme. Wade was given alot of talent and so far it has not worked as plan, but we have the talent guys !

Mistakes are causing us games , injuries cost us games . I think this defense can get it together and as long as they figure it out for the playoff , we will be just fine .
Year 1 was much more successful, and after the personnel decisions to replace players with those who seemingly fit the plan, the defense has regressed.
He wont be "fired", but might retire

fearsomefour

Legend
Year 1 was much more successful, and after the personnel decisions to replace players with those who seemingly fit the plan, the defense has regressed.
He wont be "fired", but might retire
Ah....the old "to spend more time with family" move.
Nice.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m a results oriented guy. And Wade’s results have been disappointing.

Sooooo...

Let’s just say that all options are on the table for next year’s DC position.

There will be many new faces on starting D next year, and there may possibly be a new DC. That would have seemed impossible just last opening day, yet here we are. Sigh...

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Lets get that hot new def coordinator that won the SB with the Giants! Spag Stevenuolo??!

Imo its a scheme fit problem with this roster and the injury to Talib and the inability to get pressure without blitzing, with a sharp decline from Barron, Joyner and Brockers, which no one could have predicted has sunk Wades plans for improvement in his 2nd season with the Rams.

He isnt a relic and unlike the handful of new names every year, Wade has a long history that suggests he knows what he is doing.

Everyone likes results and Wade has been in the NFL long enough to know whats what.
In terms of roster development, has Wade Phillips really been given a fair opportunity to make his D work?
Does Sneads crazy offseason really count for an extra year of fast forwarded expectations.

McVay firing Wade after 2 seasons isn't that great of an idea imo.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
As the poster said no one could have predicted Joyner, Barrin or Brockers not playing as advertised last year. At the bg of the season I predicted the combo of Joyner and Johnson was a lethal top three random. I predicted the DL of Brockers, Suh and Donald as the best in football and Peters, Colenan and Talib as another top three combo. None of these predictions have come true. Outside of Talib all are relatively young and most in their prime. So why are they not living up to my lofty goals. SimpkS answer Wade Phillips. Sure we are 11-3 but 95% of those wins came on the back of an overpowering dominant offense.

I thought we would give up 17ppg on defense this year and 32+ on offense well I am right about the offense in most cases exceeding my predictions the Defense has been a massive disappointnent imo.

We need a way more agressive DC. Wade is past his prime and this year is a perfect example. Les Snead got him a great deal of the pieces requested and look at the results. Peters 3 probowls, Talib 5 Suh a bunch really we should be murdering everyone instead we play way too soft, don't blitz enough constantly have Joyner playing out of position and give up too many 3rd and longs.

Wade must go no matter the playoff outcome.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
welp we wouldnt be rams fans unless we were complaining about something

so yall keep your tunes if Wades D pitches a shutout in the next two games ?

Wade has probably forgotten more about football than any of us ever know .. his D has AD99 as the leading sack man in the NFL
this D is bult to play with a lead which we havent had many of since the bye

relax lighten up ... you'll live longer

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Lets get that hot new def coordinator that won the SB with the Giants! Spag Stevenuolo??!

Imo its a scheme fit problem with this roster and the injury to Talib and the inability to get pressure without blitzing, with a sharp decline from Barron, Joyner and Brockers, which no one could have predicted has sunk Wades plans for improvement in his 2nd season with the Rams.

He isnt a relic and unlike the handful of new names every year, Wade has a long history that suggests he knows what he is doing.

Everyone likes results and Wade has been in the NFL long enough to know whats what.
In terms of roster development, has Wade Phillips really been given a fair opportunity to make his D work?
Does Sneads crazy offseason really count for an extra year of fast forwarded expectations.

McVay firing Wade after 2 seasons isn't that great of an idea imo.

I dunno, badnews.

Let’s see...

I think that the following are fair and accurate statements about Wade:

Very experienced and highly regarded DC.
Had complete autonomy on D matters for his 2 years here.
Personally chose his schemes and gameplans.
Was given the lion’s share of offseason player additions.
Blessed with a D roster loaded with current and former Pro Bowlers, the envy of many a DC, honestly.
Only significant injury on D was Talib for 8 weeks.

And yet...

The results continue to disappoint, don’t they? Has Wade “lost his fastball”? I think that that is now a fair question. I mean, 40 years as an NFL coach IS a long run. So, is it time for Wade to step aside and let some bright up and comer bring in fresh ideas and enthusiasm?

McVay turned this O from worst to first in his rookie season as HC. The experienced Wade is still struggling after two years. Can we afford to waste this SB window with Goff on his rookie contract by coddling Wade?

Food for thought, huh?

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Blessed with a D roster loaded with current and former Pro Bowlers, the envy of many a DC, honestly.

This is over stating it by quite a bit.

Suh had lukewarm interest from one or two others and plenty of negative press insinuating that he coasted through games.

Peters had no one interested other than the Rams.

Talib has some age on him and I recall only one other offer from the 9ers, I believe.

Coddling?

The gift of exaggeration has not missed this post.

Ellard80

Legend

I think he means that because Wade is such a nice guy and has had some success it that people are afraid to criticize him..

Which I believe is a valid point - Like everything it's not all on Wade, but I think schematically he is not doing enough. For example we got no pressure against the Eagles, but he still doesn't blitz.

Wade - like the rest of the team needs to make some adjustments and make them now.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
This is over stating it by quite a bit.

Suh had lukewarm interest from one or two others and plenty of negative press insinuating that he coasted through games.

Peters had no one interested other than the Rams.

Talib has some age on him and I recall only one other offer from the 9ers, I believe.

Coddling?

The gift of exaggeration has not missed this post.

I stand by my statement in my post, Ramlock.

Current or former Pro Bowlers include the following:

AD
Suh
Barron
Littleton (this year)
Talib
Peters

I think Joyner was a former alternate and some think JJ should now be one. Brockers used to be highly regarded, too.

One can nitpick about their current status, but to deny their former status? C’mon, man.

The larger question should be “why did so many formerly elite type players pick THIS year to underperform?”