Is Isaiah Pead In Trouble?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Counting the preseason (2012 & 2013) plus the regular season (2012); Pead's only had 48 rushes and 10 receptions. That's peanuts.

He will have plenty of opportunity to turn perception around and I hope he does.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CGI_Ram said:
Counting the preseason (2012 & 2013) plus the regular season (2012); Pead's only had 48 rushes and 10 receptions. That's peanuts.

He will have plenty of opportunity to turn perception around and I hope he does.

agreed. but they have to give him the ball so he can get some kind of mojo going. a run here and there isn't really productive to his development. i hope they give him at least 7 to 10 runs this next game, let him find his groove.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CoachO said:
The thing I find interesting is how FANS always bring up the draft position as the measuring stick as to how a player is "supposed" to perform.

CGI - I had to read your post multiple times and I'm still not sure what you mean by this? Because... I think you ask any coach, scout, or player personnel guy and they'll say the more talented players are typically found at the top of every draft.

Just by that alone raises expectations on how quickly a player should be successful at this level.

I can't speak for anyone else as a fan, but yeah... I have higher expectations for Brockers than I did for Clifton Ryan.

I can assure you, once they hit the locker room, and even more so the practice field, there isn't a coach or teammate who gives a hoot about when they were drafted. Its about them ALL being football players at that point. The ONLY people who ever seem to bring up draft status are impatient fans when someone isn't living up to THEIR expectations.

CGI - I agree.

You never hear about a guys draft status when they EXCEED expectations.

CGI - Not true - at all. Again, unless I'm totally missing your point. EVERYONE talks about finding the next Marques Colston, Adrian Foster, etc.

Isaiah Pead can play. When it all clicks for him, many in here will wonder why they ever doubted him. I have watched him in practice EVERYDAY for 2 training camps now, and he is unquestionable the most talented RB on the roster. he shows it on the practice field all the time. His teammates, and more importantly, his coaches don't seem to be losing any faith in him.

CGI - Personally, I think Pead will succeed and you will be correct on this. However, as each day ticks by that he doesn't perform... the natives are getting restless as evident by this thread.

So, that being said, once the game slows down for him, and he lets his ability take over his game, he will be more than fine.

CGI - And this is where I have a problem with Pead. Will the game ever slow down for him? From day one he's ran the football like it's a lit stick of dynamite.

AND... as a young player running backs are almost always among the first positions to have success. A RB doesn't need anywhere near the developmental time as other positions like WR and DT.

fastcat

Pro Bowler
Imo, rb, is the easiest position to play in the NFL coming out of college. Pead does have the talent but that's not the issue, its what's between his ears that's the problem. To this point he doesn't look like a starter, or a #2 rb, or a kr... he has 3 more games to prove himself and keep the #2 job at the very least. He has had about 60 NFL touches and has fumbled 3 times that I can count off the top of my head. And yes he had 6yd average rushing, but no one will take that if you fumble and other backs on the roster haven't. Fumbled will loose games. And the coaching staff have lost faith in him last year, when he was GIVING the #2 rb position and played his way to the #3 role, at it looks like he is doing the same this season. Everyone in the NFL has talent some more than others but if your head can't handle the pressure or whatever it is you won't be in the league long. I hope that's not the case with Pead but it looks like he won't ever get it to me.... Even the look in his eyes when he talks makes me doubt him.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
CoachO said:
Isaiah Pead can play. When it all clicks for him, many in here will wonder why they ever doubted him. I have watched him in practice EVERYDAY for 2 training camps now, and he is unquestionable the most talented RB on the roster. he shows it on the practice field all the time. His teammates, and more importantly, his coaches don't seem to be losing any faith in him.

CGI - Personally, I think Pead will succeed and you will be correct on this. However, as each day ticks by that he doesn't perform... the natives are getting restless as evident by this thread.

So, that being said, once the game slows down for him, and he lets his ability take over his game, he will be more than fine.

CGI - And this is where I have a problem with Pead. Will the game ever slow down for him? From day one he's ran the football like it's a lit stick of dynamite.

AND... as a young player running backs are almost always among the first positions to have success. A RB doesn't need anywhere near the developmental time as other positions like WR and DT.

My question to you, then..... what are YOUR expectations of him? As much as you say you don't understand what I mean by some of my comments, you say that with "each day that ticks by that he doesn't perform".... how is he NOT performing? What level does he need to ascend to for you to think he is "performing"?

I ask this, because the coaches seem to have a completely different opinion, base on his continued reps with the 1st unit, and his "production" on the practice field everyday.

You see ONLY what you want to see based on a VERY LIMITED sample size during EXHIBITION GAMES that don't include gameplans or any "real" scheme to use his strengths. Then you see someone like Stacy, Cunningham, and eventually Ganaway step in, and seem to think they are out-performing" Pead based solely on your expectations of him as a 2nd round draft pick.

If, and I realize its a big if, because it did in fact happen, you take the fumble out of the equation on Thursday, how can anyone say he didn't perform?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CoachO said:
My question to you, then..... what are YOUR expectations of him?

He was selected in the 2nd round to be the #2 back (in 2012) and successor to SJ. That is my expectation.

CoachO said:
As much as you say you don't understand what I mean by some of my comments, you say that with "each day that ticks by that he doesn't perform".... how is he NOT performing?

(1) He was beat out in 2012 by a 7th round draft pick.
(2) The coaches thought so highly of Pead in 2012 to give him a whole 10 carries.
(3) His 2013 debut looked an awful lot like 2012.

CoachO said:
What level does he need to ascend to for you to think he is "performing"?

(1) He needs to look like an NFL back; a) he needs to stop fumbling b) he needs to look like he can make quick decisions.

(2) He needs to deal with whatever lead to the one game suspension.

iced

CGI_Ram said:
As much as you say you don't understand what I mean by some of my comments, you say that with "each day that ticks by that he doesn't perform".... how is he NOT performing?
(2) The coaches thought so highly of Pead in 2012 to give him a whole 10 carries.

1)This is what coach is talking about - you're setting 2nd year expectations based on a players draft position, not himself or his specific circumstances.

2)This has more to do with him missing OTA's, late graduation, his attitude/pot error at the beginning of the season, etc.. It snowball affects - hard time with the playbook, etc. He started getting more carries toward the end of the year, and looked better than D-rich vs one of the top Run D's (and top scoring D)

3)No, not at all. His Pass pro is by far better (and better than anyone else, which is very important this year); I'm not faulting him for the Kick off return at all. It's preseason, he probably whats show off what he can do. Fact is him and reynolds were arguing back and forth - not going to pin the blame on either one without knowing what was said.

And in case I need to remind you since we're overreacting to 2nd year players..

vincent jackson year 2- 7 starts, 27 catches, 453 yards, 6 td's.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
CoachO said:
My question to you, then..... what are YOUR expectations of him?

He was selected in the 2nd round to be the #2 back (in 2012) and successor to SJ. That is my expectation.

CoachO said:

CoachO said:
What level does he need to ascend to for you to think he is "performing"?

(1) He needs to look like an NFL back; a) he needs to stop fumbling b) he needs to look like he can make quick decisions.

(2) He needs to deal with whatever lead to the one game suspension.

Again with the draft position.... Where did anyone within the organization ever say he was drafted to be Jackson's successor? He was "beaten out" by a back who they deemed was a better fit in what they were looking for LAST YEAR as a BACKUP RB in a power running game BECAUSE of Jackson's presence. Why does Richardson draft position factor into that? Obviously, as I stated, it doesn't to the coaches or his teammates.

How do YOU know he hasn't "dealt with whatever lead to his one game suspension"? Seems to me, like you are holding him to another standard, and are harboring some sort of resentment for NOT being the person/player you think he should be.

So averaging 6.0 YPC is getting off to the "same start"?

You continue to say you "think" and hope he becomes that productive RB they drafted him to be. But it sounds to me, like you just simply don't like him and have already written him off. That's your prerogative, and your opinion.

We will agree to disagree on our "expectations" of how he is "performing"!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Stranger said:
CoachO said:
The thing I find interesting is how FANS always bring up the draft position as the measuring stick as to how a player is "supposed" to perform.

I can assure you, once they hit the locker room, and even more so the practice field, there isn't a coach or teammate who gives a hoot about when they were drafted. Its about them ALL being football players at that point. The ONLY people who ever seem to bring up draft status are impatient fans when someone isn't living up to THEIR expectations.

CoachO...

1. Can you expand upon or quantify the drop in Pead's game-performance versus what you've seen on the practice field?

2. And, do you haven any theories as to why there is this drop in Pead's game-performance?
So, are we seeing in games what you see during practice? Or, is there a noticeable drop-off in Pead's in-game performance? If so, any reasons why this might be the case?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Stranger said:
Stranger said:
CoachO said:

CoachO...

1. Can you expand upon or quantify the drop in Pead's game-performance versus what you've seen on the practice field?

2. And, do you haven any theories as to why there is this drop in Pead's game-performance?
So, are we seeing in games what you see during practice? Or, is there a noticeable drop-off in Pead's in-game performance? If so, any reasons why this might be the case?

There is no question there is a dropoff from practice to the Preseason games. Why do I think that is?

Many reasons, but for me the biggest are:

1) no game plan on offense, what they have shown in these Preseason games is very basic, downscaled compared to what they do in practice on a daily basis. For example, they do NOT run any traps, or anything exotic, in terms of play calls, blocking schemes etc.

2) very limited reps in these Preseason Games. When they are limiting the 1st unit reps, how is getting 3 carries a fair assessment in how ANY RB is faring? That he doesn't break off long break out runs in 3 carries, I guess that means he isn't living up to expectations.

IMO, too many people tend to get caught up in stats as the only measuring stick of how a player is performing. Unless something is shown over and over again via instant replay, things like blitz pickup, or route running is overlooked.

What I see in practice is a back with explosiveness. One that when he does hit the hole has a lot more upside than any other RB on the roster. Again, all I can do is surmise what the coaches are "thinking" based on the mere fact that he continues to share reps with the "starter", who if you really read what Fisher said, and see how he handles most of the positions on the team, Richardson is the "starter" based on having the most experience carrying over from last year.

But he was quick to point out that Pead is competing and that they haven't "ruled out anyone" in that competition.

iced

CoachO said:
There is no question there is a dropoff from practice to the Preseason games. Why do I think that is?

1) no game plan on offense, what they have shown in these Preseason games is very basic, downscaled compared to what they do in practice on a daily basis. For example, they do NOT run any traps, or anything exotic, in terms of play calls, blocking schemes etc.

2) very limited reps in these Preseason Games. When they are limiting the 1st unit reps, how is getting 3 carries a fair assessment in how ANY RB is faring? That he doesn't break off long break out runs in 3 carries, I guess that means he isn't living up to expectations.

IMO, too many people tend to get caught up in stats as the only measuring stick of how a player is performing. Unless something is shown over and over again via instant replay, things like blitz pickup, or route running is overlooked.

What I see in practice is a back with explosiveness. One that when he does hit the hole has a lot more upside than any other RB on the roster. Again, all I can do is surmise what the coaches are "thinking" based on the mere fact that he continues to share reps with the "starter", who if you really read what Fisher said, and see how he handles most of the positions on the team, Richardson is the "starter" based on having the most experience carrying over from last year.

But he was quick to point out that Pead is competing and that they haven't "ruled out anyone" in that competition.

Not to mention the huge drop off in talent from the 1's o-line to the 2's (Especially even more so with saffold out). Fisher knows as much, hence the reason why he wants to get everyone behind the 1's.

Can't agree with you enough on this...Although I think it's kind of funny; before pre-season week 1 people were talking about pass pro was going to be key. Now everyone is down on Pead but he's our best pass protector :lol:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
CoachO said:
Stranger said:
Stranger said:
CoachO said:

CoachO...

Coach do you think her is still adjusting to the speed of the game and maybe that's why he looks so much better in practice?

I don't understand why people are so willing to kick this guy to the curb yet.

A55VA6

Legend
LesBaker said:
CoachO said:
Stranger said:
Stranger said:
CoachO said:

CoachO...

Coach do you think her is still adjusting to the speed of the game and maybe that's why he looks so much better in practice?

I don't understand why people are so willing to kick this guy to the curb yet.
Because he always fumbles. It doesn't matter what skills you have, if you can't hold on to the ball.. you can't make it in this league.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
A55VA6 said:
Because he always fumbles. It doesn't matter what skills you have, if you can't hold on to the ball.. you can't make it in this league.

Does the same thing apply to Richardson, who FUMBLED 3 times last year (in 160 touches). Bottom line for me, there is no one RB on this roster who is good enough to expect them to separate themselves from the pack.

Not Richardson, Not Pead, Not Stacy, Not Ganaway, Not Stacy.

They all have their strengths, and they all have weaknesses in their "game". They will be used in the situations that play to their strengths. Pretty simple concept.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CoachO said:
A55VA6 said:

Does the same thing apply to Richardson, who FUMBLED 3 times last year (in 160 touches). Bottom line for me, there is no one RB on this roster who is good enough to expect them to separate themselves from the pack.

They all have their strengths, and they all have weaknesses in their "game". They will be used in the situations that play to their strengths. Pretty simple concept.
Agree 100%

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
CoachO said:
Again with the draft position.... Where did anyone within the organization ever say he was drafted to be Jackson's successor?

The Rams roster, of all teams, could not afford to use a 2nd round pick on a guy they don't view as a starter.

CoachO said:

CoachO; so your expectations of a 2nd rounder is a guy who can't break the starting lineup? Because that is exactly what we have here.

Look, I know I'm coming across pissy about Pead... but am rooting for the guy and I do not think it's fair to call him a bust with so little playing time... BUT; the onus is on PEAD to change the perception.

Last year we made excuses about "his late graduation". This year? Well... let's stop making excuses for the kid. It's up to him to show up on Sunday.

A55VA6

Legend
CoachO said:
A55VA6 said:

Pead had SIGNIFICANTLY less touches, and fumbled just as much if not more. Pead can't hang on to the ball. Plain and simple.

I just can't defend the guy. He's gotta hang on to the ball.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
A55VA6 said:
CoachO said:
A55VA6 said:

Pead had SIGNIFICANTLY less touches, and fumbled just as much if not more. Pead can't hang on to the ball. Plain and simple.

Not asking you to defend the guy. You brought up the fumbles,, plain and simple. But you dismiss the fact that Richardson FUMBLED 3 times in LIMITED duty LAST YEAR. Say what you want about Pead, I am not arguing the point that he needs to hold on to the ball. But its apples to apples here. Richardson FUMBLES way too much too.

Pead's fumble on Thursday was his ONLY fumble on a carry for scrimmage. He fumbled twice last year, once in the preseason after making a reception, and the now infamous, apparently career making kickoff return.

Are you saying that Richardson fumbling every 53 touches is OKAY? if he is to be "the guy? which would warrant over 300 touches this year?

A55VA6

Legend
CoachO said:
A55VA6 said:
CoachO said:
A55VA6 said:

Not asking you to defend the guy. You brought up the fumbles,, plain and simple. But you dismiss the fact that Richardson FUMBLED 3 times in LIMITED duty LAST YEAR. Say what you want about Pead, I am not arguing the point that he needs to hold on to the ball. But its apples to apples here. Richardson FUMBLES way too much too.

Pead's fumble on Thursday was his ONLY fumble on a carry for scrimmage. He fumbled twice last year, once in the preseason after making a reception, and the now infamous, apparently career making kickoff return.

Are you saying that Richardson fumbling every 53 touches is OKAY? if he is to be "the guy? which would warrant over 300 touches this year?
This topic is about Isaiah Pead, not Daryl Richardson. So I was talking about Pead's fumbling issues. I am not dismissing Richardson at all, I am just clearly stating that Pead needs to hang on to the ball and he is doing a worse job than Richardson is in games right now. There's no way you can't agree with that.

Yes, Richardson has fumbled the football. He needs to work on hanging onto the ball as well. But whenever Pead touches the ball, I get nervous and then what does he do? Coughs it up. And other than fumbling, he almost gave us a safety by almost taking the ball out of the endzone and kneeling the ball almost on the line. He's also had off the field issues. The kid is a mess.

I'm not just sitting here hating Pead either. I call it as I see it. I just want to see Pead bounce back and play a good game. Get his confidence up. I'm not ready to give up on him, but if he goes through another terrible season and Richardson, Stacy, Cunningham take advantage... than where is Pead left to be? He's got all the athletic abilities.. he's just got to use them, and take care of the ball..

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
CoachO said:
Again with the draft position.... Where did anyone within the organization ever say he was drafted to be Jackson's successor?

The Rams roster, of all teams, could not afford to use a 2nd round pick on a guy they don't view as a starter.

CoachO said:

CoachO; so your expectations of a 2nd rounder is a guy who can't break the starting lineup? Because that is exactly what we have here.

Look, I know I'm coming across pissy about Pead... but am rooting for the guy and I do not think it's fair to call him a bust with so little playing time... BUT; the onus is on PEAD to change the perception.

Last year we made excuses about "his late graduation". This year? Well... let's stop making excuses for the kid. It's up to him to show up on Sunday.

That's at the very root of our "disagreement". I don't pay any attention to whether or not a guy gets drafted in the first round, or the 7th round. Once they are here and on the field, all I see is whether or not they can play football.

The draft is too much of a crap shoot, and there are so many guys who are either over drafted, or not drafted at all for me to put too much credence in it.

By your logic, Daryl Richardson shouldn't have the same expectations put on him, as Zac Stacy, solely based on their draft position.

Cody Davis is every bit the football player that Brandon McGee is, maybe better based on what I have seen so far. But because he wasn't drafted, we shouldn't "expect" much out of him?