Is Isaiah Pead In Trouble?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Pead does have to prove himself, but he doesn't deserve the biased criticism and pressure that he is receiving, at this point, IMO.

This is where I disagree.

He (Pead) was a high draft pick and in his 2nd preseason looks just as out matched as last year.

Some guys don't make the leap... speed - wise... I hope Pead does... But I've seen nothing to suggest he will to this point.

I'm done with excuses. Time to play ball,Pead!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
How many carries has he had?...Outmatched, by who, what? He had a fumble, worst case scenario for him, but other than that, what was the problem, and try to stay in the now.
The dude had virtually NO oppo's last year...be honest.

He owns all that, DR.

If he was lighting it up he'd be playing.

Pead is very much teetering on BUST.

iced

CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
Pead does have to prove himself, but he doesn't deserve the biased criticism and pressure that he is receiving, at this point, IMO.

He (Pead) was a high draft pick and in his 2nd preseason looks just as out matched as last year.

Some guys don't make the leap... speed - wise... I hope Pead does... But I've seen nothing to suggest he will to this point.

How many carries has he had?...Outmatched, by who, what? He had a fumble, worst case scenario for him, but other than that, what was the problem, and try to stay in the now.

He owns all that, DR.

very premature to throw the bust word around.

He made positive plays last year and looked better than Drich @ Seattle. I remember a screen pass in OT that netted a nice first down.

He hasn't had a lot of opportunities, but I definitely wouldn't call someone a bust going into their second year....unless your name is AJ jenkins, and even that is premature

good thing is i read today via tweets he's running with the 1's; bet he starts against packers

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
iced said:
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:

He owns all that, DR.

very premature to throw the bust word around.

He made positive plays last year and looked better than Drich @ Seattle. I remember a screen pass in OT that netted a nice first down.

He hasn't had a lot of opportunities, but I definitely wouldn't call someone a bust going into their second year....unless your name is AJ jenkins, and even that is premature

good thing is i read today via tweets he's running with the 1's; bet he starts against packers

I'm not calling him a bust!

But when a high pick hasn't distinguished himself in his 2nd yr you'd be a fool to ignore that.

Pead has done nothing to this point. Nothing. Fact.

Until that changes I don't see the loyalty towards Pead.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:

He owns all that, DR.

I am starting to realize that Fisher doesn't trust all rookies. Some of our rooks, even in preseason, got very few reps...including Watkins, and Quick, and now...T. Austin???

Pead may bust, but IMO, it's way too early to put that label on him, especially, minus the fumble, and the game he had. Did you happen to see our #2 QB? What do you think happens if Sam gets blasted, because of bad pass pro?

Would anyone else who has ever played or coached like to chip in about Pead's fumble, and play during the preseason game.

BTW, I hope he gets outplayed, I hope someone blows him away. I don't give a fuck about his draft position, but care EVERYTHING about our team, and their success. May the best man win.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
CGI_Ram said:
I'm not calling him a bust!

But when a high pick hasn't distinguished himself in his 2nd yr you'd be a fool to ignore that.

Pead has done nothing to this point. Nothing. Fact.

Until that changes I don't see the loyalty towards Pead.

Pretty passionate about this Pead thing, aren'tcha? :lol:

The only exception I take with what you just said is that he hasn't distinguished himself in his 2nd year. Mainly because the 2nd year hasn't started yet, and Richardson isn't so bad that Pead should be exponentially better. Richardson is actually a very good back, so he's got his work cut out for him. Which is good on all fronts.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I'll leave it at that. I don't want this thing to go South, just differing opinions. I think you showed your opinion on Pead pretty strongly, even though we only saw limited action on him. I think that I showed mine also. I'd like to see a bigger sample size, but don't hate what I've seen so far.

Am I a fool? I don't think so.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:
DR RAM said:
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:

He owns all that, DR.

I am starting to realize that Fisher doesn't trust all rookies. Some of our rooks, even in preseason, got very few reps...including Watkins, and Quick, and now...T. Austin???

Pead may bust, but IMO, it's way too early to put that label on him, especially, minus the fumble, and the game he had. Did you happen to see our #2 QB? What do you think happens if Sam gets blasted, because of bad pass pro?

Would anyone else who has ever played or coached like to chip in about Pead's fumble, and play during the preseason game.

BTW, I hope he gets outplayed, I hope someone blows him away. I don't give a freak about his draft position, but care EVERYTHING about our team, and their success. May the best man win.

1 preseason game is waaaaaay too early to draw conclusions.

I'm not down on anyone yet... Just not convinced this is a trial by coincidence either.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Would theatrics about Pead be Peadeatrics? Ah wunder?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Personally I don't really care where people are drafted. Pead obviously needs to step up, and so far I've seen him go up and down. I haven't really seen much from him that shows he's primed to take that next step, but I haven't really seen anything that says he isn't either. I want him to get more touches and more looks, he wasn't bad last year he just wasn't used very much. Richardson fumbled 3 times losing 2 of them last year, so he's not exactly miles ahead of Pead there either. Neither got many snaps on Thursday night, I think we'll see more of Pead over the next 3 games though, and he's likely to be used in the passing game more than Richardson is, especially if he continues to pass block better.

Again, thus far I'm not worried. He does need to step it up, but everyone does. Pead needs to run better and more confident, Richardson needs to block better, these guys all need to improve.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
bluecoconuts said:
Personally I don't really care where people are drafted. Pead obviously needs to step up, and so far I've seen him go up and down. I haven't really seen much from him that shows he's primed to take that next step, but I haven't really seen anything that says he isn't either. I want him to get more touches and more looks, he wasn't bad last year he just wasn't used very much. Richardson fumbled 3 times losing 2 of them last year, so he's not exactly miles ahead of Pead there either. Neither got many snaps on Thursday night, I think we'll see more of Pead over the next 3 games though, and he's likely to be used in the passing game more than Richardson is, especially if he continues to pass block better.

Again, thus far I'm not worried. He does need to step it up, but everyone does. Pead needs to run better and more confident, Richardson needs to block better, these guys all need to improve.

Y bit their agents do and we're paying Pead like a second round pick so he needs to produce or his salary is a burden we don't need.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thordaddy said:
bluecoconuts said:

Y bit their agents do and we're paying Pead like a second round pick so he needs to produce or his salary is a burden we don't need.
And if it gets to that point...we cut him.

We haven't even given him ONE rep at what he is great at...catching a ball in space, but we also didn't get Tavon a rep either doing the same thing. Read on the ticker, "We need to get Tavon more touches", by Fisher...you think?

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I looked at the draft history from 2012 just for fun, to see if we missed out by taking Pead where we did.

Niners took LaMichael James, RB, in the 2nd round, after we took Pead.

NFL Preseason 2013: San Francisco 49ers LaMichael James Leads Rushing Attack in Loss to Denver.
He had 8 carries for 27 yards.

Bronco's took Ronnie Hillman in 3rd round. He is not impressing anyone.

Ravens too Bernard Pierce in 3rd round (he's looking good).

So, LaMichael James isn't setting the world on fire. Let's see if Pead can get his head together because we need something close to Frank Gore numbers at the end of the game from him, if possible.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Geez you gotta give the guy a chance. Fumble and under the bus. Last year Jackson sat at the table and ate the meal, the other guys got the crumbs the coach let them have.

Feed him all he can take and find out how hungry he is. It's that simple.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I was hoping that Pead would make it more of a competition for the #1 spot, but I'm fine with him being a 3rd down type of back this year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:

The thing I find interesting is how FANS always bring up the draft position as the measuring stick as to how a player is "supposed" to perform.

I can assure you, once they hit the locker room, and even more so the practice field, there isn't a coach or teammate who gives a hoot about when they were drafted. Its about them ALL being football players at that point. The ONLY people who ever seem to bring up draft status are impatient fans when someone isn't living up to THEIR expectations.

You never hear about a guys draft status when they EXCEED expectations.

Isaiah Pead can play. When it all clicks for him, many in here will wonder why they ever doubted him. I have watched him in practice EVERYDAY for 2 training camps now, and he is unquestionable the most talented RB on the roster. he shows it on the practice field all the time. His teammates, and more importantly, his coaches don't seem to be losing any faith in him.

So, that being said, once the game slows down for him, and he lets his ability take over his game, he will be more than fine.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
CoachO said:
CGI_Ram said:
DR RAM said:

The thing I find interesting is how FANS always bring up the draft position as the measuring stick as to how a player is "supposed" to perform.

I can assure you, once they hit the locker room, and even more so the practice field, there isn't a coach or teammate who gives a hoot about when they were drafted. Its about them ALL being football players at that point. The ONLY people who ever seem to bring up draft status are impatient fans when someone isn't living up to THEIR expectations.

Isaiah Pead can play. When it all clicks for him, many in here will wonder why they ever doubted him. I have watched him in practice EVERYDAY for 2 training camps now, and he is unquestionable the most talented RB on the roster. he shows it on the practice field all the time. His teammates, and more importantly, his coaches don't seem to be losing any faith in him.

So, that being said, once the game slows down for him, and he lets his ability take over his game, he will be more than fine.

You've seen him up close and personal more than me. I'm glad he is showing some promise in practice. Thanks and trust me, we all want him to succeed.

personally, i'm tired of the guy, how many more screwups does he have to make, before we realize he's just not very good..

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
CoachO said:

CoachO...

1. Can you expand upon or quantify the drop in Pead's game-performance versus what you've seen on the practice field?

2. And, do you haven any theories as to why there is this drop in Pead's game-performance?

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CoachO having trouble with fan expectations:

Count me as one of those guys you find interesting. It's all perfectly logical to me why fans expect and should expect, more from high draft choices.

History shows us that the best players are picked early in the draft and if one of your early choices doesn't pan out it's a blow to your team. Expecting lower round draft picks to make up for mistakes made in the early rounds of the draft is wishful thinking. There are exceptions of course but that's what they are, exceptions.

Sure, teammates don't care where you're picked in the draft but they are looking at it from a completely different short term perspective than fans and teams do. I believe the fan perspective to be the correct one when looking at the long view. The percentages and history favor this view of how to look at a draft pick and judge whether it was a success from an organizational point of view.

Failure to consistently pick impact players in the higher rounds of the draft will always spell institutional failure IMO. If any of your high round picks don't become high quality players means it was a failure at some level.

As Jake Long said in his interview, a lot is expected of a high round draft pick.

As for your comment in green, I wholeheartedly disagree with that. Low round success stories are constantly mentioned and praised by both the mainstream media and those on this board. Who in this universe doesn't know where Brady was picked in the draft? :lol: I myself just talked about the excitement I felt about possibly having 2-3 UDFAs make the team and contribute as at least high quality back ups. As you can see, my expectations for them are much lower than those I have for Tavon and Ogletree. Rightfully so IMO.

On the other hand, I think you're right about it being way too early to judge any of the draft picks (except ROK of course) that Snisher has drafted.