Irsay arrested for drunk driving

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
This could get interesting. I know he is a recovering alcoholic, so it looks like the wagon hit a few bumps. Lets see what GODell does in this situation. He pretty much HAS to discipline his own boss on this one.

Ram_of_Old

I doubt he does anything. He knows who signs his checks....and big ones.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Maybe we will be entertained with some 2:30 am tweets from Irrrrrrrrsay in the coming days.

Unnamed people in with the Colts are concerned with his behavior. lol

Ram_of_Old

Maybe we will be entertained with some 2:30 am tweets from Irrrrrrrrsay in the coming days.

Unnamed people in with the Colts are concerned with his behavior. lol

Not much you can do with a majority owner...

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think this story is hilarious. Jim Irsay would get in trouble for this.

Does anyone follow Arian Foster on twitter? One of his older tweets was saying if an athlete does something good for i.e. charity it rarely gets mentioned on BSPN, but when same guy gets DUI he's crucified for weeks. And lo and behold...guess what's happening.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Seems like decision making in Indianapolis has been in decline for awhile now...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Not suggesting anything here ,but IF HE had a history of this ,he wouldn't be approved to buy a team.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welp, he did...and he did.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Not suggesting anything here ,but IF HE had a history of this ,he wouldn't be approved to buy a team.
NFL may start putting restrictions on his activities now that it's an issue! Hope he gets help!

Ram_of_Old

The guys on PTI wonders if Goodell has the guts to do anything. I agree. The guys agree that he should be suspended immediately and indefinitely. Do you agree with that?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

He got the team from his dad. Sounds like the guy is pretty much at the bottom of the barrel right now, not one to kick a man when he's down. Pretty well off though, sounds like he's gonna get some help.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
He got the team from his dad. Sounds like the guy is pretty much at the bottom of the barrel right now, not one to kick a man when he's down. Pretty well off though, sounds like he's gonna get some help.
I don't think the "kick a guy when he's down" characterization applies here.
The league sanctions players for off field conduct BECAUSE they shed a bad light on "The Shield" as an owner Irsay's duty of care in that regard is higher and his offenses tarnish the "Shield" in much greater measure than the action of an imprudent kid who just became a millionaire and lost his head.
Irsay's position should not protect him from scrutiny, in deed it should make him subject to more scrutiny , HOW can his club possibly discipline a player in the future unless he is sanctioned ?

William Wallace:"You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom."

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think the "kick a guy when he's down" characterization applies here.
The league sanctions players for off field conduct BECAUSE they shed a bad light on "The Shield" as an owner Irsay's duty of care in that regard is higher and his offenses tarnish the "Shield" in much greater measure than the action of an imprudent kid who just became a millionaire and lost his head.
Irsay's position should not protect him from scrutiny, in deed it should make him subject to more scrutiny , HOW can his club possibly discipline a player in the future unless he is sanctioned ?

William Wallace:"You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide those people with freedom."

That ^^^

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
irsay-storyimage960.jpg

Alan Petersime/AP

Goodell’s Irsay Problem
Colts owner Jim Irsay faces four felony counts of possessing a controlled substance and a DWI charge. He’s subject to the same personal conduct policy as NFL players, but will the commissioner be the same disciplinarian when punishing one of his bosses?
By Peter King

I’ve been listening to people in and out of my business talk about the Jim Irsay story over the past 24 hours and I’ve heard a couple of themes: This is going to be a very tough disciplinary call for Roger Goodell because Irsay’s one of his bosses … and … the players are going to be watching this case to see if Goodell is as tough on one of his 32 employers as he is on the players.

I’m not buying that this decision will keep the commissioner up at night. I don’t think this is going to be a tough call for Goodell.

History says it won’t be, even though Goodell has never had to discipline an owner for substance abuse or driving while impaired in his eight years on the job. Irsay was arrested in Indiana early Monday and charged with operating a vehicle under the influence. He was also charged with four felony counts of possessing a controlled substance; police found prescription drugs that weren’t prescribed to him in the car he was driving. Irsay is due in court next week to address the charges.

This is the sort of case few commissioners have had to deal with. The fact that Irsay has a substance-abuse problem that results in such a public black eye for the league and for himself is a sad story, and it could have been a tragic one: Who knows if this was the first time that Irsay—allegedly—has driven while impaired? He said in a 2012 interview about his sobriety that he has spilled more alcohol than the interviewer has drank, a line many in recovery have used. But Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star quoted a source with knowledge of Irsay’s situation as saying, “He’s a sick, sick man. He desperately needs help.”

The first step here will be for Irsay to deal with the law, and to get the help he needs. Then Goodell will step in with discipline. An owner is subject to the personal conduct policy the same as a player. What we don’t know right now is whether Irsay has done anything prior to this point to be put on notice by the league. That, obviously, would make the potential league sanction worse.

goodell-irsay-360.jpg

Goodell and Irsay before the start of Super Bowl XLIV. (David J. Phillip/AP)

But Goodell’s history shows he’s short on sacred cows. I once saw an exasperated Dan Rooney, the Steelers owner who was Goodell’s biggest champion when he ran for commissioner in 2006, tersely complain to him that he was too hard with his fines on Pittsburgh players. Patriots owner Bob Kraft remained a close ally after Goodell—rightfully—took a first-round pick away from New England and fined Kraft’s coach and organization $750,000 over Spygate. Goodell fined the late Tennessee owner, Bud Adams, $250,000 for making an obscene gesture to a crowd in Nashville in 2009. And he stripped New Orleans owner Tom Benson of his coach for the 2012 season, and his GM for half the season, after a long investigation into a bounty system with the Saints.

The closest case to Irsay’s was in Detroit in 2010. Club president Tom Lewand was arrested for driving while intoxicated, and Goodell gave him a $100,000 fine and a 30-day suspension from his job (later reduced to 21 days because Lewand complied with all the recovery steps the Lions and the league mandated).

Goodell knows everyone is watching the Irsay case. He knows he’s going to have to be compassionate but tough on Irsay. I think he will be. I think anyone who can strip a playoff team of its coach for a year isn’t going to have a hard time disciplining an owner if he’s found guilty of crimes as serious as felony drug possession and driving under the influence.

What’s the right punishment, if Irsay is guilty? A fine, certainly. But I can tell you from knowing Irsay that a fine won’t be such a big deal. Banning him from being around his team for a period of time would be much worse. Irsay loves being around his team. He loves being an owner. He loves the life, and what he can do for people because of that life. For goodness sakes, he tweets transactions. He gives out tickets in Twitter contests. When a former Colts beat writer, Len Pasquarelli, was ready to be discharged from a Phoenix hospital after bypass surgery while covering the Super Bowl in 2008, Irsay sent word that he wanted to ferry Pasquarelli home to Atlanta on his private plane, with a nurse on board. On Monday, Pasquarelli wrote about that for a story on his site,pickthedraft.com, just to show people that Irsay is a big-hearted guy who, obviously, has some demons.

I think a fine plus a suspension from any team-related activities will likely be Goodell’s discipline if the charges against Irsay are true. And if true, the discipline will certainly be justified.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I wonder how he can suspend him and expect it to matter? He still makes money whether he attends games or practices or meetings, so that's no real deterent. I don't think he can be fined for his behavior can he?

I would expect that he would have to make a sizable donation to a charity, go to rehab, then do some community service. What he needs is to be humbled by the addiction. From what I have seen over the years it's a very effective treatment. Taking a few bucks away from a billionaire doesn't do anything, putting him in a soup kitchen or having him talk to kids in a school will make the point though.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Looks like he's wearing some sort of bizarre 'Affliction' button up shirt in that picture. I think that's all the humiliation a rich 55 year old man needs right there.