Interesting comment from Saffold regarding his next contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
LT GRob, OT Jason Smith, Adam Goldberg, Tony Wragge, Wayne Hunter, Quinn Ojinnaka, Davin Joseph, Shelly Smith, Chris Williams, Scott Wells, Cody Wichmann, Tim Barnes.....?
Bringing up memories like this can cause nightmares!:shocked:
It is so sad to think we had coaches and general managers who chose these guys, and thought that these could protect quarterbacks and running backs. Do we need to look further than the names listed above to see why no free agent qb's and rb's wanted to play for the Rams.
But what's even worse is that we had no one capable of teaching someone how to take their skills from college and learn how to progress and improve in the NFL.

Now we have a head coach that knows for the offense to work you need first of all, someone who knows how to build and teach smart players how to play on the Oline. McVay went out and found the best teachers he could find, and at the same time knew how to recognize talent.

Okay I'm over my nightmare :yess:

tempests

Hall of Fame
It is so sad to think we had coaches and general managers who chose these guys, and thought that these could protect quarterbacks and running backs. Do we need to look further than the names listed above to see why no free agent qb's and rb's wanted to play for the Rams.

Offensive line injuries contributed to having to run those types on the field.

Rams were fortunate last year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
couple things.

Firstly, Saffold isn't "injury prone", he had essentially the same problem with both his shoulders that we all found out were due to a genetic disposition that didn't really want his shoulders to be that big and strong. Once they got surgically repaired, as Saffold relayed his doctor saying that the shoulder would be better than before the injury. And true to his word, they have been. Granted I dunno why they didn't just go in and repair both. They pretty much knew the other shoulder would go, especially once the repaired one could get stronger and...it did. Since, he's basically been injury free.

Secondly, all that aside, it's a minor miracle and in no small part due to the Rams crappy drafting on the OL that the Rams stuck by Saffold and he didn't get the Kayvon Webster treatment (presuming Webster's injury would have him come back better than before, which isn't true, but just follow me on this). Instead, the Rams stuck with Saffold and his not tiny salary through two shoulder operations and now after the operations and Jeff Fisher, Saffold finds himself playing at a consistent Pro Bowl level on a winning team that only looks to be getting better AND he could make millions of dollars being good, winning and hopefully staying healthy. Or he could make a few million more and be miserable, not have the same talent as this OL which increases his chances at getting hurt and enjoy losing.

And...cuz I love you guys, I deleted the rest of this novel.

Keep Calm and Ram On!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Bringing up memories like this can cause nightmares!:shocked:
But what's even worse is that we had no one capable of teaching someone how to take their skills from college and learn how to progress and improve in the NFL.

Now we have a head coach that knows for the offense to work you need first of all, someone who knows how to build and teach smart players how to play on the Oline. McVay went out and found the best teachers he could find, and at the same time knew how to recognize talent.

Okay I'm over my nightmare :yess:

I thought some of those guys could be really good. I had high hopes for Cody Wichmann...

Flint

Pro Bowler
Interesting perspective by Saffold, do you chase the big contract , move your family and maybe set yourself up to be a cap casualty in the future or do you stay where you are for as long as you can, maybe taking less to do so.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
couple things.

Firstly, Saffold isn't "injury prone", he had essentially the same problem with both his shoulders that we all found out were due to a genetic disposition that didn't really want his shoulders to be that big and strong. Once they got surgically repaired, as Saffold relayed his doctor saying that the shoulder would be better than before the injury. And true to his word, they have been. Granted I dunno why they didn't just go in and repair both. They pretty much knew the other shoulder would go, especially once the repaired one could get stronger and...it did. Since, he's basically been injury free.

Secondly, all that aside, it's a minor miracle and in no small part due to the Rams crappy drafting on the OL that the Rams stuck by Saffold and he didn't get the Kayvon Webster treatment (presuming Webster's injury would have him come back better than before, which isn't true, but just follow me on this). Instead, the Rams stuck with Saffold and his not tiny salary through two shoulder operations and now after the operations and Jeff Fisher, Saffold finds himself playing at a consistent Pro Bowl level on a winning team that only looks to be getting better AND he could make millions of dollars being good, winning and hopefully staying healthy. Or he could make a few million more and be miserable, not have the same talent as this OL which increases his chances at getting hurt and enjoy losing.

And...cuz I love you guys, I deleted the rest of this novel.

Keep Calm and Ram On!
You might be operating with a different definition of "injury prone" than others (in this case, me in particular). I don't say he's shoulder injury prone. I say he's injury prone. He missed time with a torn labrum, an MCL sprain, left and right shoulders, and a hand injury. He's left at least one other game with an injury that didn't affect him starting, but did keep him from playing after starting that day (rib injury).

Just because it's not the exact same thing every time, doesn't mean he isn't injury prone. 5 out of his 8 years so far he's been available for less than 16 games. 4 of those years he missed at least a quarter of the season. I don't really care what injury kept him out, that's injury prone. Prone to injuries of one kind or another.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
2016 - Saffold started and finished 15 games.

2017 - Saffold started and finished 15 games.

I understand people have been wounded by Saffold in the past.

But that has nothing to do with the here and now.

We were told that deficiencies in his shoulder structure would be repaired with the surgery and that has proven to be 100% true as he has not had any shoulder injuries after the surgeries.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

We were told that deficiencies in his shoulder structure would be repaired with the surgery and that has proven to be 100% true as he has not had any shoulder injuries after the surgeries.
Actually, last year he didn't finish the Texans game. He left with an ankle injury.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame

Also left the saints game early in 2016, in addition to the game he missed. So...

2016 started 15 games, finished 14.
2017 started 15 (could have been 16) games, finished 14.

Ram65

Legend
Said it before. At 31 next year with some injury history I don't see Roger getting the big time deal in free agency. A nice three year deal with a friendly cap out after two years sounds good. He has been a Ram his entire pro career and is now settled in SoCal on very good team. Makes sense for Rams and Roger to continue being a Ram.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You might be operating with a different definition of "injury prone" than others (in this case, me in particular). I don't say he's shoulder injury prone. I say he's injury prone. He missed time with a torn labrum, an MCL sprain, left and right shoulders, and a hand injury. He's left at least one other game with an injury that didn't affect him starting, but did keep him from playing after starting that day (rib injury).

Just because it's not the exact same thing every time, doesn't mean he isn't injury prone. 5 out of his 8 years so far he's been available for less than 16 games. 4 of those years he missed at least a quarter of the season. I don't really care what injury kept him out, that's injury prone. Prone to injuries of one kind or another.
Thing is the shoulder isn't the only thing he's missed games to. Hands, knees and others have all kept him out of games or caused him to be pulled from games.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Thing is the shoulder isn't the only thing he's missed games to. Hands, knees and others have all kept him out of games or caused him to be pulled from games.
Exactly. An injury is an injury. Head, shoulders, knees, or toes, it doesn't matter. If a guy has a history of getting injured a lot, even if it's different body parts, that's injury prone to me.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
I thought he was out for a series, got taped up and came back in.
Nah. BSPN says he left and didn't come back:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21864810/biggest-nfl-injuries-week-16

CBS isn't as clear, but the phrasing implies that he didn't. It also includes a tidbit about him dealing with yet another injury, his ankle. It might not have kept him out of games, but it wouldn't be far fetched to assume it affected his performance at least a little.

I'm not trying to say that his performance was bad, but to claim that he isn't walking around with injuries pretty darn frequently is to deny the facts.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nah. BSPN says he left and didn't come back:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21864810/biggest-nfl-injuries-week-16

CBS isn't as clear, but the phrasing implies that he didn't. It also includes a tidbit about him dealing with yet another injury, his ankle. It might not have kept him out of games, but it wouldn't be far fetched to assume it affected his performance at least a little.

I'm not trying to say that his performance was bad, but to claim that he isn't walking around with injuries pretty darn frequently is to deny the facts.
Saffold was dealing first with an ankle injury & later he added to it with ribs injury.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
to claim that he isn't walking around with injuries pretty darn frequently is to deny the facts.
Sorry, but I wouldn't call that "pretty darn frequently" the last two years.

I'll take an All Pro performance 14/15 out 16 games every time.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
All indications thru Saffolds career are that he is a good teammate. Has been a good Ram, represented the team well. If he is willing to return on the Rams terms, certainly all for that. However, when other teams begin to make offers for more than a few million dollars that the Rams care to, tough for him to turn down, and can not blame him a bit if he does not.