Inside the Los Angeles Rams’ rapid decline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I just the looked at odds for next Superbowl. According to the list I saw our odds are better than 19 other teams. Are these people talking about declining from a top tier Superbowl contender? I can see that. But did we fall apart? I don't see it. I don't expect another 13 win season. But I do expect a legit playoff contender. Get in the playoffs and its a new season. One thing we will be is battle tested. Anything can happen from there.

True - you never know year in year out.
Mcvay being so upset The Rams didn’t make the Playoffs & just vowed to get there again is the hope.

The Rams would have made the playoffs if the new CB was in place.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The article fails to mention 2004-2016? So when a team peaks by making the SB in 2018, there isn't no shame in struggling to make 9-7 with no Oline the following year. Teams that flounder(2004-2016 Rams) typically make no moves, settle on players, and take advice from Mel Kiper!

This is a 10 win season at minimum with the players they currently have. Watch the SB hanger over hit the 49ers, sophomore slump for a smallish Murray, and well I just want the Seahawks to implode.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The article fails to mention 2004-2016? So when a team peaks by making the SB in 2018, there isn't no shame in struggling to make 9-7 with no Oline the following year. Teams that flounder(2004-2016 Rams) typically make no moves, settle on players, and take advice from Mel Kiper!

This is a 10 win season at minimum with the players they currently have. Watch the SB hanger over hit the 49ers, sophomore slump for a smallish Murray, and well I just want the Seahawks to implode.

Great points. One thing about Seattle......as long as Wilson is their QB, they have a shot every week. As a football fan, I have to admire that. But their D will do everything in their power to negate that advantage.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I'm not totally sold on Floyd but his ability to do many things will be quite useful especially and he can move around outside inside your blitzing him from different spots with Donald requiring at the very least a double team and Brockers and Robinson eating up oThe blocksFloyd could be running free a lot. Anyone one of the young guys steps up as a pass rusher or we are able to bring in a bargain and I think this defense could be very good.

Maybe I'm being to hopeful but I'm usually pretty hard on our Rams. I just feel this defense with a Trent Murphy type addition would be solid.
It seems like this coach wants to play a more traditional 3-4 where the outside linebackers are more versatile, so I'm actually liking what they have there for starters.

I also think you nailed it with Robnson playing at nose tackle. It seemed like SJD was controlling his gaps laterally very well, but not getting much push as he did so, and I don't know how much of it was Wade's scheme or the limitations of his players, but even Brockers wasn't very effective last season.

It seems like this coach wants just about every lineman except Donald playing two gap, and to me that's exciting, because it disrupts the middle of the line, while keeping people guessing about where the outside rush is even coming from.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The missed field goal doomed us along with that disgraceful display against Tampa.
That said it was the OL that killed us but it also shined a light on Goff showing that without perfection in front of him he is just average at best.

Not only the missed FG, which would have had us 10-6 but the two 3rd and 16's SF converted on their final GWFG drive. They had the ball at their own 16 with 2 minutes left, 3rd and 16 and we let them convert. The D stops them there and we get the ball back at our 35 or 40. But not only did we let them convert that one, we let them convert another one to get into FG position. There's no guarantee Z makes a game winner if we stop them on that first 3rd and 16 but I liked our odds. Tampa? It happens sometimes and had we made the FG against Seattle and stopped SF, we could have been 11-5.

I disagree Goff is just average at best without a great surrounding cast. He had a troubled O line most of the season, took a beating and didn't flinch. He made great plays throughout and some bad ones but that's what happens when you have no running game. You have to pass often when they know you're passing. Those mistakes are forgivable because we needed him to take risks and that's what happens to the best of them when they do.

Like Phil Simms relayed about Parcells pep talk to him before his first postseason game. "If you don't throw 2 interceptions today, you ain't trying enough".

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think our defensive line could be stronger.
Robinson is 330 lb.
We haven't seen anybody that big in the middle recently.
Gaines could be improved and rotated in to spell Robinson.
Leonard Floyd is a decent run stopper for an OLB.

I see a chance here to improve our run-stopping ability especially if they use that first pick on an inside thumper.

I think you'll be surprised to see our offensive line will be much better and consistent.
Particularly in the second half of the season.

Therein lies my optimism.
Rams DL has experience throughout. Currently, it has a great mixture of youth & seasoned.

I see a DL as strong as our secondary. Between these units new DC Kevin O'Connell should be able to get a consistent strong outing each & every week.

In 2019 as we all are aware the middle of the DL produced a uneven inconsistent showing against the run. Wade's defense Line would normally line up just two DL'ers as much as his 3 DL'er base. Wade used a great deal of OLB'ers as part of his first line of defense.

Having Donald [6 yrs] / Brockers [8 yrs]/ Robinson[4yrs] on the field with Smart [3 yrs], Joesph-Day [2 yrs], Gaines & Copeland with [1 yr each] makes this DL thick & potentially very good. All good fits in a 34 defensive front.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

Welcome to ROD Neil.
Pleasure to have you with us

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Rams' success arrow declined after a Super Bowl appearance? Yes it did. Happens every year. Pick a team. Yawn.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The missed field goal doomed us along with that disgraceful display against Tampa.
That said it was the OL that killed us but it also shined a light on Goff showing that without perfection in front of him he is just average at best.
I'm more of the mind that Goff had a down season that most pocket QBs would have had behind that OL. I also believe he's going to be a better QB for us down the road because of it. There were certainly good things last season in spite of his mistakes, i.e. he was a big part of why we should have been a 10 win team and the Rams were still T-9th in yards per attempt (kid's tough and has some balls on him), as well as 5th in yards per game. In reviewing the season I feel like he played better in a number of games than I initially thought, in spite of very poor protection that required a great deal of pocket movement by McVay vs good fronts.

The scouting breakdown below by Bill Belichick was tweeted out by Daniel Jeremiah a while ago. I think it's telling as it pertains to QBs, particularly pocket QBs that teams coveted in that time window. And from the passing game perspective it still applies to teams who have pocket QBs, like our Rams. Putting both up for those who haven't read them, since I at least find them intriguing.

He specifically mentions QB protections and guys who will not be driven back, which was a huge problem for Goff last season. He had dudes in his face almost every drop. Also of course defenses knowing we had zero run game made life even harder on him. And IMO at least our wideouts had a down season with the loss of Cooks (he wasn't the same guy post-concussion) and this is why we saw a boost in Goff's efficiency once Higs started stepping up with earlier looks in the read order. Re: the QB notes I do have some doubts about Goff having the leadership but outside of that (which I hope he continues to grow into) he's got just about everything else.

1586199003773.png

1586199395498.png

MauiRam

Rookie
Rams DL has experience throughout. Currently, it has a great mixture of youth & seasoned.

I see a DL as strong as our secondary. Between these units new DC Kevin O'Connell should be able to get a consistent strong outing each & every week.

In 2019 as we all are aware the middle of the DL produced a uneven inconsistent showing against the run. Wade's defense Line would normally line up just two DL'ers as much as his 3 DL'er base. Wade used a great deal of OLB'ers as part of his first line of defense.

Having Donald [6 yrs] / Brockers [8 yrs]/ Robinson[4yrs] on the field with Smart [3 yrs], Joesph-Day [2 yrs], Gaines & Copeland with [1 yr each] makes this DL thick & potentially very good. All good fits in a 34 defensive front.

Your post brings up something I've been wondering about. We don't know (at least I don't) why Wade P. was not invited back, was it our porous run D? What I am curious about is how well our new DC can do with the guys we now have on D. We do have some talented defensive players on the roster, and we may be pleasantly surprised. It has been mentioned that Staley's defense is designed to better
disguise which players will be rushing/blitzing than Wade's. McVay is a pretty bright guy, and he must have seen something he really liked with Staley. Here's hoping we see it too - early & often.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Great points. One thing about Seattle......as long as Wilson is their QB, they have a shot every week. As a football fan, I have to admire that. But their D will do everything in their power to negate that advantage.
Fun thi

Wilson is just of those players on any team outside the NFC West I would love. That horrible uniform and gum smacking coach ruin him for me lol. He is good though and may have been MVP if Lamar Jackson hadn't been Super Human this past season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Your post brings up something I've been wondering about. We don't know (at least I don't) why Wade P. was not invited back, was it our porous run D? What I am curious about is how well our new DC can do with the guys we now have on D. We do have some talented defensive players on the roster, and we may be pleasantly surprised. It has been mentioned that Staley's defense is designed to better
disguise which players will be rushing/blitzing than Wade's. McVay is a pretty bright guy, and he must have seen something he really liked with Staley. Here's hoping we see it too - early & often.
I have no ideal myself. I am fine with the three new hires @ DC/ OC & ST coaches.

I do know one thing that when the Rams went into the SB in Feb 2019 against the Pats ..... it was the defense that kept the game close. Wade did his job.....McVay got out coached severely.

The 2019 Wade defense should have been much more productive & consistent than it was. When you have all pros like Donald, Ramsey, Littleton..... former all pros Matthews & Weddle & good defenders like Brockers, Fowler, NRC. In addition, his roster had a great mix of young players like Rapp, Long, Gaines & Okoronkwo. Wade did not deliver the goods during the 2019 season. Wade did have a few key injuries too...like Kiser & JJ III.

Last edited:

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
9-7 after a Conference title isn't a rapid decline. had we gone 6-10 last year or something I could see. But we were a missed FG away from the playoffs and had a winning record. Like Bill Parcells used to say, pull the Hearst back into the garage.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

if we can get some QB pressure from our outside linebackers, which we should be able to with those three DL causing disruption up front, our premium cornerbacks should be licking their chops foursome INTs.

I really like that the Rams have been working on stopping the run.
I'm hoping for best inside run stopping linebacker with our first pick.
And I actually like the young kids they have there with Hagar and Kenny Young in particular.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I think that Wade was not brought back because his defenses, in particular, don't seem to be that good against the run.
Plus he seemed to miss call some of the defenses.
It seemed, last season that, more often than in seasons, he was just calling the wrong defense to counteract what the offense was doing.

His halftime adjustments were not what they used to be either, in my opinion.

dang

Legend
You can blame 2019 offensive woes on the OL instability. I can’t put a finger on defensive woes. It wasn’t due to a lack of talent. Consistently Bad tackling, many many miscues in the defensive backfield, not enough talent on the DL to free up Donald more, very good pressure on the QB but so many missed sack opportunities on mobile QBs. Because of the wide range of issues it just screams of ineffective coaching. We all liked Coach Wade but his time was up.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I will always love Wade Phillips for what he did for us. But last year's games against TB, the Ravens, and the Cowboys demanded a major overhaul.

Heck if I was an owner I'd put it in my coach's contract--lose to the Cowboys and you're automatically fired.:D

dang

Legend
I haven’t noticed as much in previous years but there is a lot of young inexpensive low risk high reward talent on defense. Polite, Alexander, Holland, D Young, K Young, O OKO, D Williams, Deayon, Patrick, Copeland. If even half of these guys come thru that is a nice trend in getting talent at a great price. A new world order that will allow the Rams to pay and keep their real gems.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Hard to put a good spin on the way things have been going.

Assuming football is played, I think 2020 will be Sean McVay's most challenging year yet.