Inside the Los Angeles Rams’ rapid decline

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

By Jeremy Layton

The Los Angeles Rams were the next big thing in the NFL two years ago.

As recently as 2018, the Sean McVay-led offensive juggernaut, which featured Jared Goff at quarterback (a first-overall pick) and Todd Gurley at running back (the 2017 Offensive Player of the Year), was being talked about as a perennial contender. McVay was the innovative mind in the NFL, and anyone who had ever stood within six feet of him (before social distancing) was getting hired as an NFL head coach (looking at you, Zac Taylor).

Now the team is coming off a third-place finish in an increasingly loaded NFC West. GM Les Snead has stacked the Rams’ books with bad contracts, and they are set to go five straight years without a first-round draft pick.

The Rams’ potential unraveling started before they even got to the Super Bowl. In April 2018, they traded a first-round draft pick to the Patriots for Brandin Cooks, a receiver whom New England didn’t view as a true No. 1. Los Angeles then signed Cooks to a five-year, $81 million extension, which currently ranks sixth among wide-receiver contracts in terms of total value and total guaranteed money (ahead of DeAndre Hopkins, Stefon Diggs and Tyreek Hill).

After an impressive first season with the Rams, Cooks struggled in 2019, catching 42 passes for 583 yards and two touchdowns while dealing with concussion issues. The relationship appears to have deteriorated with trade rumors surrounding Cooks he cryptically tweeted “free me” last week.

A week after the Rams extended Cooks, Snead signed Gurley to a four-year, $60 million extension. It was stunning then, given the torn ACL he suffered at Georgia and the fact that he plays running back. It makes even less sense now, as the last two years have been a scourge for running backs and their market value. His whopping $45 million in guaranteed money was far and away the most for a running back in NFL history.
Lo and behold, Gurley’s knee issues returned. After carrying the ball a combined 535 times over the 2017 and 2018 seasons, he developed an arthritic condition in his knee that sidelined him for much of the Rams’ Super Bowl run. He was far less effective in 2019, rushing for just 857 yards. Los Angeles then shocked the NFL by cutting him just two years into his new deal. The team was left with $20.15 million in dead cap after his release.

The third huge extension Snead gave out has yielded similarly troubling results. After the Rams went to the Super Bowl, they rewarded Goff – whom they traded six draft picks (including two first-rounders) to get back in 2016 – with four more years and $134 million. Again, they loaded on the guaranteed money: the $110 million in guarantees remains the most for any player in NFL history.

Goff was good, maybe great, in 2018. He went to the Pro Bowl and threw for 4,688 yards and 32 TDs. But in 2019, he regressed severely. He finished 22nd in the NFL in passer rating and threw 16 interceptions (with many more that were dropped). The book is not yet written on the 25-year-old, but at least last season, Goff was far from deserving of the NFL’s biggest contract.

Without Gurley in the lineup, McVay’s system just didn’t work as well and Goff wasn’t nearly as effective. That reality was foreshadowed with two huge losses in 2018. The Bears shut Gurley down on “Sunday Night Football” that December (season-low 28 rushing yards) as Goff threw four picks. In the Super Bowl, a less-than-healthy Gurley rushed 10 times for 35 yards, and Bill Belichick and the Patriots dismantled McVay on the world’s biggest stage. Between the two games, the Rams scored nine points.

With an ineffective Gurley in 2019, the Rams stumbled. Then, in a desperation move, Snead traded two more first-round picks to the Jaguars for cornerback Jalen Ramsey, leaving them without a Day 1 selection until 2022. To make room for Ramsey, they traded incumbent starting cornerback Marcus Peters to the Ravens for linebacker Kenny Young.

Ramsey was not an upgrade. In his 10 games in Baltimore, Peters had three interceptions, two of which went for touchdowns, and a 63.4 passer rating against. Ramsey had one pick and allowed an 87.5 passer rating when targeted. They sacrificed major draft capital for minimal gains, and retaining Ramsey is not a guarantee. He will be a free agent after 2020, and they have so much money tied up in other players that they may get priced out.

What now? So far this offseason, their defense lost Dante Fowler Jr., Cory Littleton, Nickell Robey-Coleman and Eric Weddle (who retired). Gurley signed with the Falcons. Cooks may get traded for the third time in four years. Even their Pro Bowl kicker, Greg Zuerlein, left for the Cowboys.

The best way to fix an expensive roster is with draft picks or cheap veterans. But the Rams still have two more years until they can draft in the first round. And Snead has continued to throw money around like a teen getting a hold of his parents’ credit card. He re-signed 38-year-old left tackle Andrew Whitworth for three more years, $30 million total, $12.5 million guaranteed. It’s the highest-paying contract for a non-QB over 35 in NFL history, per NFL.com.

To replace Fowler, they signed pass rusher Leonard Floyd from the Bears. Floyd was a former top-10 pick who was cut by Chicago after posting just three sacks in 2019, and that came playing alongside Khalil Mack. The Rams will pay him up to $13 million in 2020 with incentives. That’s more than $4 million per sack.

The cherry on top is that their division might be the best in football. The 49ers just went to the Super Bowl. The Seahawks have Russell Wilson, one of the NFL’s best quarterbacks. And the Cardinals, who have one of the league’s more exciting young signal-callers in Kyler Murray, just robbed Bill O’Brien and the Texans of DeAndre Hopkins.

The argument could be made that they’ve become the worst team in the NFC West, with no clear avenue for improvement. How things can change in just one NFL season.

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

A week after the Rams extended Cooks, Snead signed Gurley to a four-year, $60 million extension. It was stunning then, given the torn ACL he suffered at Georgia and the fact that he plays running back. It makes even less sense now, as the last two years have been a scourge for running backs and their market value. His whopping $45 million in guaranteed money was far and away the most for a running back in NFL history.

see also

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Anybody who's been watching football for any length of time could tell that they were putting the Rams together in 2018 for a big run through the playoffs.
They were not playing conservative with the cap and they took a chance on some big-name signings.
When you have a star that is peaking like Todd Gurley on offense and one that is peaking like Aaron Donald on defense, you have to throw together a team around them and see how far I can take you.

Well ... it took us all the way to the Super Bowl.
Mission accomplished.
Last year we were feeling part of the vacuum effect of the moves made the year before.
It happens.
We still went 9 and 7 and won some huge games.

Even though we are reloading this year on both sides of the ball, I still expect a winning record.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Last year we were feeling part of the vacuum effect of the moves made the year before.

Truth in that.

Also, while they had been relatively injury free the previous season, they regressed to the norm in 2019 in terms of injuries. And despite that, were a missed field goal or so away from returning to the playoffs, even if not the powerhouse of the season before.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That article is a bit misleading. Whit has essentially a one year deal.

The offense's problem was mostly due to OL injuries and youth.

They still have 4 picks in the first four rounds and likely will trade down for another.

They will have one of the youngest rosters in the league and they are in better cap shape for 2021 than a number of so called contenders.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"The argument could be made that they’ve become the worst team in the NFC West, with no clear avenue for improvement. How things can change in just one NFL season."
If the Rams make the playoffs, which they can, let's remember this article and load this Jeremy Layton's e-mail with some humble pie. These Rams, you can't rule them out ever. Coaching and culture goes a long way.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Tough article but it is hard to call where we have significantly improved over 2019, forget about 2018.

DL may be a little stronger with Brock retuning and Robinson in the mix.

OL is a question with a 39 yo Whit manning the most critical slot.

LB will have three new starters.

Henderson is no pre 2018 Gurley, but maybe a step up from the 2019 version.

QB, WR, and TE (sure like to see more 2TE sets) are all +/- level.

I'd take our curent DB's over the that 2018 unit.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I find the narrative that they traded two first round picks for Goff amusing. Yes, they swapped their 15th for the Titans 1st. And gave them the following year's first. But that means the net was one first rounder. Pretty shallow article when they go that route.

Then there's the argument that we lost Gurley, Fowler, Matthews, Littleton and Weddle. There was another article that threw Brockers in the mix when describing how we fell apart. He's back now.

How hard is it to replace Gurley's 857 yards at 3.8 YPC? Our defense was pretty bad at times. Maybe some turnover isn't a bad thing. Matthews and Weddle were clearly a step too slow most the time. Fowler had 3 great games. The other 13 he was pedestrian.

These articles talk about "Fell Apart" and "Rapid Decline" in the past tense. News flash. It hasn't happened yet! They have to play the season to see if they "Fall Apart" or "Rapidly Decline". Until then, its anyone's guess.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
While I do see many of the decisions & moves by the RamOrg. as something, I would NOT have advocated,:(:cautious: this article as a whole is tainted! I am sure this NY post article will entertain their NE constituents.

I know ROD forum collectively would have written this story line a great deal better without all the Taint.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Anyone can pick half empty half full side of pretty much all NFL teams. This dude chose half empty. So I take with a grain of salt. Am I giddy about the team just at this moment? No! Do I look at them and say they are horrible? No! Most of us on this board could present a similar article coming from different angles.

Back to the team the off season isn't over yet. If we know anything they always have some type of move up their sleeve if not a couple. As currently constructed this team is still solid with some draft reinforcements hopefully coming. The nucleus will remain intact. I am not worried about the cap next year especially if it indeed does rise to 240 million or more as is being predicted.

Quick nuggets I've been as out spoken as anyone about the offensive line and how it hurt Gurley then trickled to Goff etc. However barring really poor drafting and bad luck can the line get worse? One would look glass half full and think it may actually be much improved and if they added a Cordy Glenn type to move around in case of injury or Big whit takes real step backwards. Etc. It would help even though a lot of u guys don't like him he was pretty good RT before his injuries and hatred for the Bengals.
I also would not be shocked if post June first the rams traded for Trent Williams for Cooks. The cap will not be as big a problem next year at best we resign Williams at worst he leaves we have young lineman with another year of experience Cooks contract is gone and we found his replacement in this amazing wideout draft. All while rolling with Reynolds and Rook this year. Let's face it a qb with time can make most receivers look good.
Our secondary is quite solid as is our d-line.
So that leaves me only to slightly worry about an outside pass rush/linebackers in general.
We do have some young talent here and there are and will be more cheap available ones for the taking later on and even now during the rest of the off season in free agency/cuts.
People complain about Floyd yea I can see the worry there but it's one year and look at Shaq Barrett last year. That worked out for both parties no? How many sacks did he have the prior season for Denver 3? And Floyd has some excellent run stopping ability and very good in coverage that's already a plus.

So I will refrain from totally discounting or trashing this team at least for now lol.

My biggest concern honestly again is improving the pass rush because I really do not want to waste Donald's career. Maybe selfish but I just want to watch this guy play with a full squad behind him helping him rather than just soley throwing him to the wolves and say well we got Donald he is our pass rush. I would love to watch AD play with the right help. He has it in the secondary which is huge but just an emerging pass rusher could make a world of difference.
If Floyd turned out to be this year's Barrett man would that be fun!!!

fearsomefour

Legend
While I do see many of the decisions & moves by the RamOrg. as something, I would NOT have advocated,:(:cautious: this article as a whole is tainted! I am sure this NY post article will entertain their NE constituents.

I know ROD forum collectively would have written this story line a great deal better without all the Taint.
The less taint the better.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Rapid decline, my fucking ass. We had what amounts to three starting O-linemen down and with two rookies and a second-year player we traded for this year basically taking their places. We remade our secondary on the fly, our star running back was mostly ineffective, and we were terrible against the run.

And we still had a fucking winning record.

We're going to get back into the playoffs this year with a solid draft, I'm telling y'all.

dang

Legend
So let’s put this “rapid decline” in perspective. Perhaps the 2018 Rams overachieved by beating the Chiefs the Seahawks and the Saints in the NFC championship. What if they went 11-5 and lost to the Saints in the championship? On the flip side in 2019 due to injuries and poor defensive/OL play they lost 2+ games they should have won (Seahawks game 1, 49ers game 2, Pittsburg). what if they went 11-5 won a WC game then were eliminated. Would we still be calling it a “rapid decline “?

nighttrain

Legend
So let’s put this “rapid decline” in perspective. Perhaps the 2018 Rams overachieved by beating the Chiefs the Seahawks and the Saints in the NFC championship. What if they went 11-5 and lost to the Saints in the championship? On the flip side in 2019 due to injuries and poor defensive/OL play they lost 2+ games they should have won (Seahawks game 1, 49ers game 2, Pittsburg). what if they went 11-5 won a WC game then were eliminated. Would we still be calling it a “rapid decline “?
it was a season of many things going wrong, still 9-7
train

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I find the narrative that they traded two first round picks for Goff amusing. Yes, they swapped their 15th for the Titans 1st. And gave them the following year's first. But that means the net was one first rounder. Pretty shallow article when they go that route.

Then there's the argument that we lost Gurley, Fowler, Matthews, Littleton and Weddle. There was another article that threw Brockers in the mix when describing how we fell apart. He's back now.

How hard is it to replace Gurley's 857 yards at 3.8 YPC? Our defense was pretty bad at times. Maybe some turnover isn't a bad thing. Matthews and Weddle were clearly a step too slow most the time. Fowler had 3 great games. The other 13 he was pedestrian.

These articles talk about "Fell Apart" and "Rapid Decline" in the past tense. News flash. It hasn't happened yet! They have to play the season to see if they "Fall Apart" or "Rapidly Decline". Until then, its anyone's guess.

I stopped reading when he said Cooks' tweet that said "free me" meant he wanted out. He was talking about the quarantine and Kupp cleared that up. We lost Gurley but is he still Gurley? We lost Fowler but he may have over performed by being along side AD. Matthews and Weddle joined the Rams for a last gasp at the SB. They're done. Littleton is the one guy we lost who played well, appears to be a very good LB and has a future. So in my opinion, they took the hit this year on Gurley to free up future years. And maybe they figured, we had health problems last year, a less effective Gurley, Cooks missing time, we used 8 or 9 different O lineman and still went 9-7. Improve the defensive system, have some health luck on the OL and we could be a factor in 2020.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I stopped reading when he said Cooks' tweet that said "free me" meant he wanted out. He was talking about the quarantine and Kupp cleared that up. We lost Gurley but is he still Gurley? We lost Fowler but he may have over performed by being along side AD. Matthews and Weddle joined the Rams for a last gasp at the SB. They're done. Littleton is the one guy we lost who played well, appears to be a very good LB and has a future. So in my opinion, they took the hit this year on Gurley to free up future years. And maybe they figured, we had health problems last year, a less effective Gurley, Cooks missing time, we used 8 or 9 different O lineman and still went 9-7. Improve the defensive system, have some health luck on the OL and we could be a factor in 2020.

And I'd like to add one more thing. If 9-7 is decline, then where do I sign up?

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Come on guys.
We need to be understanding in times like this

This writer is at home locked away in quarantine with his wife. He no longer has his supply of Extenze and he hasn’t been performing well at all in the sack.
I mean, he’s got “rapid decline” on the mind folks. I mean, how would you feel rocking a name like “Lay-Ton” and not even be able to get it up.
He can’t beat his kids either cause they are off at college and his parakeet died three months ago. So the only outlet he has is our Rams.
Poor Jeremy.
Poor poor Jeremy.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
DL may be a little stronger

OL is a question with a 39 yo Whit manning the most critical slot.
I think our defensive line could be stronger.
Robinson is 330 lb.
We haven't seen anybody that big in the middle recently.
Gaines could be improved and rotated in to spell Robinson.
Leonard Floyd is a decent run stopper for an OLB.

I see a chance here to improve our run-stopping ability especially if they use that first pick on an inside thumper.

I think you'll be surprised to see our offensive line will be much better and consistent.
Particularly in the second half of the season.

Therein lies my optimism.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I know the guy was told to write an article to criticise the rams but c'mon, try to have some depth in your analysis.

This will be the angle used by the media leading up to the season. I'm sure they'll all put the rams at the bottom of the division in their predictions.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to say, for the Rams going 9-7 and missing the playoffs, that last home game was epic. The Rams fans were out in full force going crazy and most of us stayed late to be on the field for the fireworks. Another amazing Rams moment that I will cherish. No rapid decline in my mind.