IMO Nick Scott is the sleeper in this draft.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
Unlike most I think, I don't see Scott simply as a ST's player. Yes this year I think ST's and KO returns is how Scott is most likely to see the field. But I see much more potential in him over the long term. His problem is his lack of experience in any given role. When I see him, I see a boundary CB who can replace Peters in a couple of years.

He has the length and speed to match up outside. His real value would be as a potentially starting CB replacing Peters. Unlike most I see Long as Talib's replacement next year. Wade Phillips wants to play press coverage on the X WR. He's okay with playing off coverage on the Z WR which is where Peters plays. In off coverage, the CB plays much like a strong safety. He must quickly and correctly read the route, which is something Scott is already doing as a safety. Press coverage technique can be coached up as he gains experience.

It would be interesting if they begin to play him at CB on the outside. The smart thing would be to rotate him in as the dime DB to gain experience. Personally I'm not sold on Troy Hill as a long term starter. IMO Hill is all he is probably going to be now. So unless he takes a huge step up the team needs to look for a better option. That is what I think Scott represents. After all with Rapp and Johnson they have their starters at safety for years to come. Where the need is at both boundary CB positions. Long fills one need but long term after Peters is still a question mark.

Scott has the speed to matchup outside and the aggressiveness in the pass game and run support you need from your outside CBs.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that Nick Scott might well be A sleeper in this draft, but probably not THE sleeper, even on the Rams.

I see tremendous potential value in Scott on ST. Not sure about him getting on the field in the secondary during the regular season, though.

I mean, look at our starters. Then there’s Rapp and Long off the bench.

The Rams seem to have a handful of potential “sleeper picks” this year. As in hindsight telling all of the other teams that they made mistakes by passing over certain players where the Rams grabbed them.

Rapp
Long
Henderson
Gaines

All 4 might just be ultimately considered outright steals where they were picked.

Evans and Edwards both seem like huge value picks and if one, or both, become starters as soon as ‘20? Well, then they would also have to be called sleepers, if not also steals, themselves.

Helluva draft, Snead.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn’t you read that other thread? He was rated as our biggest reach of the draft :D

Psycho_X

Legend
Seems to be potential with him as a gadget player in both STs and, dare I say offense, if McVay is feeling inventive. Either way, you know Bones already has some trick plays drawn up for Nick.

Ram65

Legend
Wade said to Scott he has plans for him at safety as well as Special Teams. Scott could become the third safety when Weddle retires. Rams will also have to pay JJ soon.

Scott has the speed to matchup outside and the aggressiveness in the pass game and run support you need from your outside CBs.

Interesting take on Scott's future. Rams are going to need lots of CBs soon. I would like to see how Talib plays this year. Rams might be able to get him for another year at a lower/good price tag. I don't see Peters staying a Ram. I don't know much about Scott other than the numbers and Wade/Bones like him. I'm sure Rams will look at him in coverage at some point. Would be great if he can become a starting CB. Even a third safety in Dime package would be great too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think that Nick Scott might well be A sleeper in this draft, but probably not THE sleeper, even on the Rams.

I see tremendous potential value in Scott on ST. Not sure about him getting on the field in the secondary during the regular season, though.

I mean, look at our starters. Then there’s Rapp and Long off the bench.

The Rams seem to have a handful of potential “sleeper picks” this year. As in hindsight telling all of the other teams that they made mistakes by passing over certain players where the Rams grabbed them.

Rapp
Long
Henderson
Gaines

All 4 might just be ultimately considered outright steals where they were picked.

Evans and Edwards both seem like huge value picks and if one, or both, become starters as soon as ‘20? Well, then they would also have to be called sleepers, if not also steals, themselves.

Helluva draft, Snead.

Slow down their partner. Let's let them play first.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Penn State Special Teams coaching was not good, but Nick Scott excelled at ST anyway. Maybe he can take the next step at safety.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Unlike most I think, I don't see Scott simply as a ST's player. Yes this year I think ST's and KO returns is how Scott is most likely to see the field. But I see much more potential in him over the long term. His problem is his lack of experience in any given role. When I see him, I see a boundary CB who can replace Peters in a couple of years.

He has the length and speed to match up outside. His real value would be as a potentially starting CB replacing Peters. Unlike most I see Long as Talib's replacement next year. Wade Phillips wants to play press coverage on the X WR. He's okay with playing off coverage on the Z WR which is where Peters plays. In off coverage, the CB plays much like a strong safety. He must quickly and correctly read the route, which is something Scott is already doing as a safety. Press coverage technique can be coached up as he gains experience.

It would be interesting if they begin to play him at CB on the outside. The smart thing would be to rotate him in as the dime DB to gain experience. Personally I'm not sold on Troy Hill as a long term starter. IMO Hill is all he is probably going to be now. So unless he takes a huge step up the team needs to look for a better option. That is what I think Scott represents. After all with Rapp and Johnson they have their starters at safety for years to come. Where the need is at both boundary CB positions. Long fills one need but long term after Peters is still a question mark.

I don’t know where you get Scott playing CB ??
The Rams have some young talent at CB already.
When Scott was drafted I believe Wade said we want to play you at Safety ?
The fact is Johnson only has 2 more years on his contract & plays SS. Travis Rapp is a SS as well. Weddle is listed as the FS. Joyner just left as a FA. The position of choice is going to be at FS learning under The veteran.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well he has a really high chance of making the roster and that's a big deal for where he was taken. So hopefully the OP is right but if not getting a star special teamer would also be nice.

There are some really intriguing UDFA types on this roster too. This is going to be a fun camp.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'll eat serious crow if Scott becomes a starter. I don't think he'll be anything more than a fourth safety and key special teams player. It's not bad for a seventh, but as I've stated in the past - and won't bother to rehash my feelings - I wanted more.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll eat serious crow if Scott becomes a starter. I don't think he'll be anything more than a fourth safety and key special teams player. It's not bad for a seventh, but as I've stated in the past - and won't bother to rehash my feelings - I wanted more.
Wanted more from a 7th round pick? What you described seems like an amazing return for a 7th round pick.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Wanted more from a 7th round pick? What you described seems like an amazing return for a 7th round pick.

Eh. I won't deny that I wanted Emanuel Hall. He's a big deep threat at wide receiver with absolutely insane speed, acceleration and quickness. I think that after all of our receivers got injured in the past two years, we could use depth.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eh. I won't deny that I wanted Emanuel Hall. He's a big deep threat at wide receiver with absolutely insane speed, acceleration and quickness. I think that after all of our receivers got injured in the past two years, we could use depth.
You're letting your homer colors show :p And a 7th round pick WR is far less likely to contribute on ST than Scott the way Bones is raving about him, even Wade wants him on defense with that speed.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/emanuel-hall

Basically, he seems to have a case of the dropsies. Great speed, etc, but if he can't hold onto the ball I'm not sure he's somebody the Rams would want. Especially since he's apparently a crappy blocker too.

Just doesn't sound like somebody McVay would want in his system.

Memento

Name
Jemma
You're letting your homer colors show :p And a 7th round pick WR is far less likely to contribute on ST than Scott the way Bones is raving about him, even Wade wants him on defense with that speed.

Admittedly, I'm a homer, but Hall was considered a third round pick at one point. And I'm not saying that I wanted him for special teams. I'm worried about the health of all of our receivers. All of them have significant injury concerns (Woods was out for a while in 2017, Cooks has left games in the past and has a concussion history, and we all know about Kupp), so I figured that a wide receiver to back up all of them would be an excellent pick.

Again, I'll be ecstatic to eat crow. I just would've done things differently. And hey, I can at least have Hall and Scott on Madden, right? :p

Memento

Name
Jemma
https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/emanuel-hall

Basically, he seems to have a case of the dropsies. Great speed, etc, but if he can't hold onto the ball I'm not sure he's somebody the Rams would want. Especially since he's apparently a crappy blocker too.

Just doesn't sound like somebody McVay would want in his system.

Most of the time, he catches the ball, though, and his speed at his size is absolutely rare. He tested in the 99th percentile in speed, acceleration and quickness.. And if someone like Marcus Peters is on Wade's defense, our offense could have someone like Hall.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Most of the time, he catches the ball, though, and his speed at his size is absolutely rare. He tested in the 99th percentile in speed, acceleration and quickness.. And if someone like Marcus Peters is on Wade's defense, our offense could have someone like Hall.

He catches the ball - if it is not contested. Usually needs to catch it against his body, which is much tougher to do in the pros. McVay wants someone who can catch in traffic or when there is a cornerback contesting it. It doesn't mean that Hall can't succeed, but it does mean that he's not the sort that McVay looks for.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
After I looked at Scott's pro day stats and read a little about him I thought "Snead may have found another steal of a pick". Scott played 3 different positions in college, but was a team captain, and his fellow players and coaches raved about his work ethic and sportsmanship. I don't think he'll contribute on defense this coming season, but I think with a couple seasons he'll turn into a guy that will be the #3 safety on the roster. He'll probably shine on special teams this season though.