I'm fine with losing last 2 for better Draft Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Admire your optimism but ... no. I think Les Snead would tell you that if given the choice, he'd much rather have pick #1 than pick #32. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that. I bet there's a guy he wants MORE that would be gone before #32 ... don't you?

No doubt, but at the same time there's always 2nd and 3rd round and even later round players who become just as good and often better than their early pick counterparts. The top 10 isn't the only place that ends up fielding top rookies and top players. You can find those anywhere in the draft with the right GM, and we have the right GM. We found a player like Gaines in the 6th, who's a first round talent looking back. Tre Mason would go earlier than he did. TJ McDonald was drafted way too late now. Ogletree would have gone earlier than #30 knowing how well he'd turn out now. Other examples like Alshon, B. Wagner, Alfred Morris, Russell Wilson, Lavonte David all in that 2012 draft.

All I'm saying is, if we can find Ogletree at #30, what's wrong with picking #30? If we can find those elite players in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, what's the difference picking #1 or #32 if those guys are there for the taking? Yeah it'd be great to pick earlier, but you can find top players in any round at any position. The Packers and Steelers and Patriots have never had issues drafting great players while being later picks. We can do the same thing.

Not to mention the fact that losing sucks.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Admire your optimism but ... no. I think Les Snead would tell you that if given the choice, he'd much rather have pick #1 than pick #32. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that. I bet there's a guy he wants MORE that would be gone before #32 ... don't you?

Why in earth would you think that? If the Rams are picking at #1 that would mean Snead was an absolute failure as a gm. He'd much rather be picking at #32. I guess that's something draft geeks don't quite understand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
From what I've just seen on a draft order page, IF our Rams would have won the last 2 games and finished 8-8 ... we would have been picking at #15 in the draft.
So my question is, because I really don't know for sure, "How much more "power" do you have picking at #10 rather than at #15? Is it a huge difference those 5 slots?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Why in earth would you think that? If the Rams are picking at #1 that would mean Snead was an absolute failure as a gm. He'd much rather be picking at #32. I guess that's something draft geeks don't quite understand.

Yeah but if you were drafting #32 every year it might get boring right? ;)

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Ok, so I'm resurrecting this thread because how do you feel about it now? Now that the draft is upon us? We're picking at #10 instead of like #15 which is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in being able to trade up, or have ammo to trade down for more picks.

I know it was a touchy subject at the beginning of this thread (back in December) when I said I wouldn't mind if we lost the last two games (and we did lose them) but it really makes a BIG difference in what our Rams can do during this draft.

How many of the rams players do you think even care much (or think much) about losing those last 2 games last season? I think not much. But what we gained from it in draft position is quite important!

Thoughts on if #10 is way way better than #15?

jjab360

Legend
I would've rather won the last two games. There isn't that much talent difference between picks 10 and 15, and if there was all Snead would do is trade up and get his guy anyway.

The only thing another losing season did was put a bad taste in my mouth..

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Finishing 8-8 would mean we beat Seattle week 17. That seems like a pretty big deal opening the season against them.

NateTheRam

Rookie
Name
Nathan
Yes I realize this subject is neither of great importance at this time of the season, nor is my take on it going to be widely accepted but I'm just saying, it's over. We're completely out of the wild card race after this loss so we should start looking towards the draft.

While it's never a good idea to try and lose, I wouldn't be at all sad if we lose our last 2 and go 6-10. Why? Better draft pick spot.

The ONLY reason I would not be ok with losing is if we have the ability to keep the Seahawks OUT of the playoffs. That would be worth a draft pick slide down for sure!

B
Not my type of thinking, Rams are going to finish second in the division and where making a playoff push

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
8-8 would have been awesome. I really don't care about draft position. We're good enough at that already.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
There isn't that much talent difference between picks 10 and 15.
True on the talent thing, but there IS a ton of difference with the power to trade up or trade down with 10 vrs 15.

FrankenRam

Starter
Save that tanking crap for the NBA. I'd take the 2 wins over the draft pick every day and twice on Sunday. Dumb idea.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ok, so I'm resurrecting this thread because how do you feel about it now? Now that the draft is upon us? We're picking at #10 instead of like #15 which is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in being able to trade up, or have ammo to trade down for more picks.

I know it was a touchy subject at the beginning of this thread (back in December) when I said I wouldn't mind if we lost the last two games (and we did lose them) but it really makes a BIG difference in what our Rams can do during this draft.

How many of the rams players do you think even care much (or think much) about losing those last 2 games last season? I think not much. But what we gained from it in draft position is quite important!

Thoughts on if #10 is way way better than #15?

Same way I felt about it then. I wanted us to win and I'm disappointed we didn't.

How many Rams players cared about losing those games? I'd guess and hope all of them.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Save that tanking crap for the NBA. I'd take the 2 wins over the draft pick every day and twice on Sunday. (insult removed).

Don't get me wrong, if we had even a mathematical chance of making the playoffs by winning those last two games, I'm of course all in. And as I clearly stated, IF beating the seahags would have meant keeping them out of the playoffs, I would have been all in. But we had Shaun Hill and a team full of injuries. No sense in not looking forward to next year and what would be best for us.

Fact: I never said we should have "tanked" the final two games. My words were "It wouldn't bother me that much if we lost them."

Brian

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
How many Rams players cared about losing those games? I'd guess and hope all of them.

No. My statement was meant as 'how many of the Rams players care now? Right now in late April 2015 about if they won or lost those last two games? Not did they care then. They certainly should have cared then. But now? How many of them are losing sleep over those last two games? This was my whole point from the beginning, that it won't matter once draft 2015 arrives.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. My statement was meant as 'how many of the Rams players care now? Right now in late April 2015 about if they won or lost those last two games? Not did they care then. They certainly should have cared then. But now? How many of them are losing sleep over those last two games? This was my whole point from the beginning, that it won't matter once draft 2015 arrives.

And what pick we had won't matter when the 2015 Draft ends. Because odds are that there will have been a better player drafted after #10 than the one we took at #10. Simply the nature of the draft.

How many Rams players care now? I'd hope all of them. I'd hope if you asked them if they cared whether they won or lost those games, they'd say yes.

Regardless, as someone already pointed out, the difference between talent at #10 and #15 in this draft is fairly negligible unless something unexpected happens. I would have valued those two wins and the 8-8 season much more than the 5 spots in the draft.

I don't agree with your stance now and I didn't agree then. I don't see the great advantage that we got from losing. We'll see what happens in the draft and if it changes my mind.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I don't agree with your stance now and I didn't agree then. I don't see the great advantage that we got from losing. We'll see what happens in the draft and if it changes my mind.

It's no problem if we don't agree. We'll both somehow go in living, haha. Let me say this though. When it's time for our #10 pick on Thursday, I want you to see who we get with that pick, and I'll also ask you to imagine (at that time) having to wait 5 more picks to select.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's no problem if we don't agree. We'll both somehow go in living, haha. Let me say this though. When it's time for our #10 pick on Thursday, I want you to see who we get with that pick, and I'll also ask you to imagine (at that time) having to wait 5 more picks to select.

In this draft, unless it's one of the big four, I doubt it'll matter much to me.

FrankenRam

Starter

To quote jrry32..l..."I'd hope all of them."

A win matters. Period. What doesn't matter is if it's 'because it keeps the Sea Chickens out of the playoffs' or any other such goofy rationale.

No matter how you rationalize it, it's tanking. And tanking is a loser's mentality. Let it go.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Shoulda left this dead horse in the ground.....