If Sammy leaves,and we lose a 2nd rounder, I am ok: 2017 is a dream

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
IF Sammy leaves, I guess I am ok. I mean, he had had all season to prove he is a #1--and mostly likely didnt prove that; though I may be wrong....and, I still want him back!.But, I just don’t see it with the economics and what he will want….but, if we get him at $10 mill, it may be worth it considering the 8 TDs, and the fact that maybe we don’t beat the 49ers, or Dallas, and there are a handful of other games where we go nowhere with Reynolds or M Thomas in his place.

Without Sammy, I believe our entire offense would look different.
He keeps the best corner and safeties distracted, and that is very valuable.

So, even at a 1 year rental of a 2nd rounder I am ok. He is indispensable to this 2017 Ram team. 2018, wellmaybe M. Thomas or Reynolds step up….Reynolds ( I don’t think so) but Thomas has some skills, and looks like a gamer…which I think Sammy is too.

I know we talk a lot about this Sammy thing....but, maybe we don't even beat the TItans without his sweet 3 yard catch for a TD.....and that 3rd down against Dallas that let us get that last FG....who else catches that one.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
We don't know what he wants...this is his first time making it to the playoffs so he may want to stay. I'm optimistic that his price will be reasonable.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I’m definitely not ok with him leaving that 2nd rounder is prime real estate not to mention EJ being gone too. Him having a full offseason in the system is going to be a big difference

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
while I think Sammy offers way more than the stats would show and it would be nice to keep him around, Im becoming more and more in favor of letting him go simply because that money will be better used elsewhere. in a few short years, we will ideally have 2 QB salaries, and one of, if not the highest, paid RBs. that'll be a lot of money tied up in just 3 players so sacrifices have to be made to fill out the rest of the roster

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I know his agent will tout his number one ability. But I have to wonder if his stock dropped this season. His numbers do not reflect even a number two. Maybe it wont cost as much to bring him back? His catch to TD ratio is pretty good. A good option near the goal line.

I've seen at least a couple times where he had position against tough coverage and made a TD catch when plenty of receivers would either drop it or not even get to that spot. But if he's demanding number one type money, I gotta think someone might sign him and it won't be us. We got other areas in more need to address.

shake-n-bake

Rookie
I think we have nice cap room next year. After AD is taken care of and we more thank likely release Tavon, I could see us keeping him. Think about how good Sammy is in the red zone. We have thrown that slant 3/4 times this year. Sammy's hands are really good. When he gets a full season in the playbook watch out

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
while I think Sammy offers way more than the stats would show and it would be nice to keep him around, Im becoming more and more in favor of letting him go simply because that money will be better used elsewhere. in a few short years, we will ideally have 2 QB salaries, and one of, if not the highest, paid RBs. that'll be a lot of money tied up in just 3 players so sacrifices have to be made to fill out the rest of the roster
Agree completely.

Much more critical needs elsewhere to fill & purchase in 2018 & 2019 off seasons. Our overall offensive receiver unit {TE/ WR/ SL/ HB/ RB} is one of the youngest & largest talented units on this team without Sammy Watkins. Sammy will need to want to remain here as a Ram badly enough to make us a great deal for it to make sense to utilize priceless cap $$ invested in this already full receiving unit

Last edited:

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I hope he stays, he's been pretty good the second half of the season. Not to mention we have some other areas of need that we need to fill. I don't think he'll ask for a ridiculous amount of money because he's part of something that's bigger than him and now he knows it

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Would like Sammy to stay, but a team like the Bears or 49ers will overpay him in free agency, Rams will recoup a draft pick in 2019, most likely a 3rd rounder. How do the rams replace him is the question, thru the draft, another WR free agent, or one of the current receivers on the roster.

Bootleg

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After having watched Watkins all season now, it's clear he's a big, strong, fast receiver with excellent hands who I am convinced could take over a game if needed. The thing is, McVay just does not need that type of player in his offense where the ball is spread out and shared. I believe we would do fine with a receiver like Reynolds in Sammy's current role as long route runner taking the top off defenses.

I could be wrong, but I think Watkins knows this too. That's why he's not complaining much. He's happy to be a part of a winning team. He realizes he's gone after this year so he's just savoring the moment. Some team will pay for his #1 services, and it probably won't be the Rams.

Again, just guessing.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We don't know what he wants...this is his first time making it to the playoffs so he may want to stay. I'm optimistic that his price will be reasonable.
I can tell that Sammy really likes being with the Rams. He may get a bigger contract elsewhere, but the Rams are a team on the rise and the current NFC West Champs. Also, we need the distraction he provides as our most talented WR. His production isn't there yet, but his being here make the whole WR group better, imo. I believe he will stay with the Rams at a slight discount because there is a bright future for him here....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The thing is, McVay just does not need that type of player in his offense where the ball is spread out and shared.
Every offense needs weapons.....put a bunch of average guys out there...watch what happens...

Take Todd G away...and trust me, we are a different team.

Take Aaron D away....this IS a different defense.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Why do people insist Sammy doesn' make a difference . .we don' have another guy to throw it to in the red zone.

We need him back ! This offense doesn' work without a big body at wr that can stretch the field .

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Still a great trade. Even is Sammy leaves, we'll get a 3rd round comp pick + Gaines is hurt... yet again.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I think Sammy will want to stay. He's finally on a winning team, finally healthy, and he's only going to get better as this team gets better. He's got a coach who knows how to get him open, a QB that can feed him the ball, and a running back who can keep defenses honest.

Why leave when he finally got what he was looking for.

Ram65

Legend
There are couple reason why you keep Sammy Watkins. He has shown to be very valuable producing TDs near the goal line. He takes pressure off the other WRs clearing the underneath zones. The Rams don't have a lot of money invested in the WR/TE position. Reynolds is not the same type WR. Paying Sammy the 10 Million a year could be a wise investment. Sammy is the top Wide Receiver in a very thin free agent market for 2018. Spotrac has his value at 9.2 Million.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/wide-receiver/

By keeping Sammy the Rams can keep him away from division rivals. The main threat would come from the Whiners who have both the need and the money to go after Sammy. Nothing worse than losing him to the up and coming Whiners.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I have been impressed with his downfield blocking all season, also he has very strong hands as we witnessed on his touchdown catch. Offer him a contract similar to what Woods signed for, I really think many of their free agents will want to continue to be Rams.

jjab360

Legend
Front load his contract before Gurley, Goff, Kupp, etc. have to get theirs. I could see him staying at 10 mill per year, he seems really happy here after freezing his ass off losing in Buffalo lol

jap

Legend
Part of the attraction in being a star player in the Land of LaLa is the lucrative endorsement deals and other such contracts with outside agencies. This outside money could substantially subsidize a team-friendly contract.