If Fisher Doesn’t Win this Season, Is He on the Hot Seat?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
So Kroenke wants to model his franchise like the Patriots? They're gonna have to get a lot better at cheating. So far it hasn't worked like the Patriots.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I don't know if he will be on the hot seat or not but when I look at the job he's done so far and then if we were to add in another losing year on top of it then I have to say he doesn't deserve the job. I mean seriously we are talking about half a decade here.

Not yet.....
Pancake as LACHAMP46 said " Not Yet!", Fisher is going into his 4th year, saying its been "Half a decade" is a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think!?

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Pancake as LACHAMP46 said " Not Yet!", Fisher is going into his 4th year, saying its been "Half a decade" is a bit of an exaggeration, don't you think!?

Well if he has a bad 4th year and they let him come back for another that makes 5 right? I don't think he deserves the 5th year in that case.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Well if he has a bad 4th year and they let him come back for another that makes 5 right? I don't think he deserves the 5th year in that case.

And then you start getting into a wierd set of conditions...so he doesn't break 500 in his fourth year but he gets a 5th....so what is the requirement: playoffs...so then he has been over 500 and had winning record 1 out of 5 years, is there a limitation on year 6 or 7 or more....what if he doesn't make the playoffs years six...now we are 1 year in 6, but only 1 year removed from playoffs...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I can see a 2-14 season costing him his job. But with his penchant for mediocrity I don't see it happening. I see between 6 and 8 wins. And that will buy him a 5th year.

The Rams will always be a team on the cusp. But will they finally get over the hump with Fisher?

SierraRam

Recreational User
IMHO, This is Fisher's Waterloo. The last puzzle piece to our playoff run was added in the draft when we took several surprises at OL. These are Fisher's guys and if the OL dominates, it's ALL GOOD.

If we're mediocre again, I just can't believe he's safe.
I'm trying very hard to remain optimistic...
images

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well if this team is planning a move, I'd guess that a head coaching search would be the last thing on the organization's mind.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Man, switching decent HC's for the unknown is asking for trouble...Hell, I wanted to keep Martz...I liked John Robinson too...And was mad as hell when Vermeil left...still pissed....shoulda never fired Knox too, but that was another time, another place, a long, long, time ago...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, switching decent HC's for the unknown is asking for trouble...Hell, I wanted to keep Martz...I liked John Robinson too...And was mad as hell when Vermeil left...still pissed....shoulda never fired Knox too, but that was another time, another place, a long, long, time ago...
Always tough (changing HCs)... like you said, it's the unknown.

But, at some point, you have to call it like it is... Fisher has brought the team from the depths of pitiful to mediocrity.

He should get credit for that.

But how long can you ride that horse?

To me, this has got to be the year. 10-6 is reasonable in my little mind... not asking for too much.

Of course, it's not up to me.... so off we go! :unsure:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Always tough (changing HCs)... like you said, it's the unknown.

But, at some point, you have to call it like it is... Fisher has brought the team from the depths of pitiful to mediocrity.

He should get credit for that.

To me, this has got to be the year. 10-6 is reasonable in my little mind... not asking for too much.

Of course, it's not up to me.... so off we go! :unsure:

I have to agree. Fisher has done a great job bring this team back up, giving them an identity and completely changing the culture. At some point you have to start making some playoff berths. The only argument I can make is its tough to judge a coach without a QB. On the flip side its Fisher's job to find one, but all great Head Coaches, typically have a great QB.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
Well if this team is planning a move, I'd guess that a head coaching search would be the last thing on the organization's mind.

See I think the exact opposite - if you actually moved would you want to try and sell your coach that hasn't broken 500 the last 4 years? I think there is a reasonable shot that without playoffs JF would get replaced IF they move to LA. I could see hiring a new BIG name headcoach to sell tickets and get the fans (luxury suite fans) excited. Now maybe that isn't needed, maybea new team by itself does that...but I can see makinga change with the move...assuming we are average again.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have to agree. Fisher has done a great job bring this team back up, giving them an identity and completely changing the culture. At some point you have to start making some playoff berths. The only argument I can make is its tough to judge a coach without a QB. On the flip side its Fisher's job to find one, but all great Head Coaches, typically have a great QB.
We're on the same page, friend.

It is the HC (and GM's) job to build out a roster that can withstand injuries.... especially at the most important position - QB.

Fisher stood behind Bradford, even when a lot of Rams fans mumbled under their breath (after that first ACL injury).

Fisher hand selected Clemens to be the answer in the event Bradford went down. Then, he hand selected Hill. He's kept, then cut Davis... he's kept, then cut Keenan. He drafted his developmental QB in the 6th round the year after his starting QB went down with an ACL injury.

In my eyes, he and Snead have not done a particularly good job of "managing" the QB position.

Now, we Have Foles... is it the 2013 Foles? Or the 2014 Foles? Is Foles durable? Back up's are now Davis (again), Keenum (again) and Mannion (I will give them credit for not waiting until the 6th round on that one (y)).

Another opportunity for Fisher and Snead to prove to us that they have figured out that position.

Let's just leave how the Oline has been managed out of this for now.... ;)

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

That's what I'm thinking. Unless they totally collapse and he loses the team. Which I don't see happening.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'll look at the AFC East....What would Belichick do without Tom Brady? Would he even be a .500 coach? Imagine Rex Ryan with a serious QB? Not a Tom Brady type, but say a Phillip Rivers? Hell, I'd give him a Matt Ryan and his record would shoot above 60%....the QB is the Coach, Scouts, and GM's job to find...We find one, Fisher looks better in the first season...Vermeil surely did....

WvuIN02

Starter
I would hope so. Fisher has historically been an average to above average coach, with a few good seasons thrown in.....usually when the competition had down years. He's been in the league forever, I wonder if there is any HC in the NFL now as long as him without a SB ring?

Snead is the real gem to keep, not Fisher. Whether I agree philosophically with how Fisher wants to win, Snead HAS built the team Fisher has wanted, and that is what you want in a GM.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll look at the AFC East....What would Belichick do without Tom Brady?
Well, IIRC, Cassell stepped right in and did OK, no?

Would he even be a .500 coach? Imagine Rex Ryan with a serious QB? Not a Tom Brady type, but say a Phillip Rivers? Hell, I'd give him a Matt Ryan and his record would shoot above 60%....the QB is the Coach, Scouts, and GM's job to find...We find one, Fisher looks better in the first season...Vermeil surely did....
I agree... it's all of their responsibility... if I didn't make that clear, I apologize. Failure to solve the QB position is on all of them.

It will be interesting this year. Which Foles will show up? Clearly, Fisher and Snead have thoughts of minimizing the QB impact anyway (i.e. they seem to want to run first, pass later).

So, the reliance on that position might not be as strong with the Rams as other teams.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
It will look like he, even the press will make it look like he is but... NO not this time maybe next year at the end of the season.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I'll be honest, Fisher can go 0-16 this year, and I think if Kroenke wants to do you know what, he's safe.

In fact he may be safe for two years, if Kroenke does get his way, just to make it easier for the team. After that then yeah, he could be axed.

MrMotes

Starter

Bradford was Spagnulo's #1 pick, his franchise QB. Fisher has finally moved on from that. We'll see what impact that has.

And ultimately, i don't expect a real high level of play from the QB position on a Jeff Fisher team. He wants to win with defense, run the ball a lot. He doesn't put as many eggs in the QB basket as most coaches do. I think his old school philosophy is probably a little out dated but it can still work in the NFL...