I suspect that Cooks is being underestimated by some...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Including some TV pundits, for that matter.

Have you seen some of his highlights? Yeah, I know that they’re highlights, but still... They ARE real, not photoshopped.

I’m not seeing a one trick pony. I’m seeing a guy that gets open, has great hands, makes contested catches, goes up and gets jump balls, goes over the middle, demands coverage by opposing D, and has blazing speed.

Then I look at his production results and I really like what I see.

I think Cooks is “football smart”, too (if you catch my drift). McVay’s O requires “neck up” players, particularly at QB and WR.

So, I’m just gonna say it. For the first time, I think McVay can truly unleash the deep threat part of his O.

For whatever reason(s), he wasn’t really able to do it with Tavon or Watkins. I suspect that that’s why McVay was pining for a deep threat this offseason. Cooks fills that desire perfectly. I think our opponents this year are gonna get an unpleasant surprise come September.

I’m gonna give this trade a Hot Damn!

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Very pleased with the addition.

Underneath threats with Kupp and Woods (fingers crossed one of the TE's steps up).

Long range threat with Cooks.

Running up the gut and OT with Gurley and sweeps with TA.

A defense forced to defend everywhere can effectively defend nowhere.

I think Sun Tzu said something like that.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think a lot of the bemused comments about Cooks, are rooted in deep disappointment about not getting OBJ. Comparing him to Cooks is unfair, because there are only 2-3 other WR's who can be considered in OBJ's league. Then some get pizzed about why didn't we just outbid KC for Watkins, and that Watkins is better than Cooks (I don't think so).

Cooks can do what Austin never could (and never will) do in taking the top off the defense by catching the long ball.
I am excited about the possibilities...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
A defense forced to defend everywhere can effectively defend nowhere.

McVay has the same type of philosophy regarding play design that Martz had. I was not a fan of his as a HC but he was a brilliant play designer and stressed LB's and defensive backfields like nobody else. Cooks is really perfect in this O.

Last year Watkins was drawing two defenders a lot, Cooks will demand the same respect and if you watch highlights he is often beating two guys, the defender on the LOS and the safety help coming over.

Gurley, Austin, Cooks, Cupp, Woods............ 5 weapons for Goff that are each different types of weapons and can work off of each other successfully.

This should be a fun year.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Cooks were two inches taller there wouldn't be much issue . He's going to dofi the desean Jackson role but he has more ability to go up and get it and make contested catches than Jackson could . Hell, Sammy didn't even do that for us

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah I wasn't that excited about the trade when I first heard about it.
But the more I look into it the more I think about it, the more I study the man, the more I like it.

Especially since they seem to plan on locking him up long-term.

He has all the makings of a future star already.
In McVay's offense he can shine.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
I hope we sign him before the season starts to a multiple year deal, because there is no way we'll be able to sign him after he puts up legitimate #1 numbers this upcoming season.

Dude's a competitor and will put up 100 yards a game for us.

Expectations are high af in my book.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Some of the criticism is for the price paid for a rental but Snead and company seem pretty confident that he will be signed. I wonder why they feel this way? They talked about extending Sammy but it was obvious he was going to be one of the few premier wr’s in free agency and someone was going to offer a boatload of money, which is what happened. If Cooks has a year like usually does he should be highly sought after and the rams are in no position to overpay with AD, Goff, Gurley to pay as well.

poLARizing

UDFA
obviously there are two sides of the coin.

I accidentally listened to Doug Gottlieb show yesterday and he was talking about all the moves Rams have done, including adding cooks. Needless to say he wasn't a fan of the moves the Rams have done so far. His opinion is that the Rams don't have a good plan. Whatever. Just typical blah blah opinions.

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think with Cooks, he will replace 2 players in Watkins and Austin. He can do what each one is good at. Maybe better!

Ram65

Legend
I've been reading all the stories from why the Patsies and Saints traded him. Also, the fan reactions from the Patsies was more unfavorable than favorable. Just found this video that explains some of Cooks limitations with the Patsies. Cooks is far from a one trick deep threat pony. James Jones explains about timing and chemistry issues for Cooks while Maurice Jones-Drew explains why and how the Rams will use him. You can start at 2 Minute for lack of fit for Patsies but at 3:15 Is the film illustrations.

My first reaction was great move. I know that he is explosive from highlights and Belicheat said last year that he traded for Cooks because the Patsie couldn't stop him. Now, I believe I know what Cooks will bring to the Rams. He is not a number one 3rd down WR. Precision route running is not his value. His value as a WR is to blow the top off the defense on long and shorter passes. He can split and beat double coverage. He can be used in the screens, crossing routes and stop and goes for long gaines. He is a big peace to the Sean McVay offensive puzzle. He will keep things opened up for Gurley, clear out space for Kupp and Woods. He will make plays on short and deep pases. He will have great YPC average. It will be interesting to see how the Rams spread the ball around. Cooks is going to need his touches just like Sammy wanted. I expect him and Goff to be more connected and hit on more of those deep passes having worked together longer.

Cooks is a perfect fit for the Rams offense. Paying a 1st round pick is worth it but, they have to get a deal done this year. Don't expect a true number 1 WR even if he gets paid like one.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTkZ74o7_Uk

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
obviously there are two sides of the coin.

I accidentally listened to Doug Gottlieb show yesterday and he was talking about all the moves Rams have done, including adding cooks. Needless to say he wasn't a fan of the moves the Rams have done so far. His opinion is that the Rams don't have a good plan. Whatever. Just typical blah blah opinions.

Haven't weighed in on this trade yet, but you're right -- so many pundits wanna pundit about our team; how many of them sorely underestimated Goff last year calling him a bust? Like gamblers, they take a risk on a player / team going sour & can't wait until they can say "I told you so", and have no one to serve them crow when they're flat out wrong.
Mr. Gottlieb has no idea what our plan is. He has no idea of how our offense works. I'm no football expert, just a fan, but even I can tell (with lots of info from the best fan board on the 'net) that Cooks is gonna rip the top off defenses for us & expose the soft underbelly for Gurley on wheel routes, Kupp on catch&go's, Woods on everything else, Austin on screens, etc., etc.
This is a great trade. Barring a failure to resign Cooks, you do trades like this all day every day to make your team better. OBJ scared me to death -- coke videos???? he's a suspension waiting to happen. Ya Cooks is 5'11 but so what?? if he can separate like I've seen on the highlights, gee whiz. Hard worker, character guy, etc. -- some drafts were correctly mocking us a WR. Can't get better (value) than this (with that #23 pick).

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think with Cooks, he will replace 2 players in Watkins and Austin. He can do what each one is good at. Maybe better!

I agree.

It is also a little playbook insulator if Austin gets dinged this year at any point. (For misdirection plays)

TexasRam

Legend
Cooks in ‘17 had the same production as AJ Green but did it with 29 less targets.

Cooks averages 9 yards per target.

If Cooks had the targets AJ green had (143 targets instead of 114) then Cooks would have had 1343 yards receiving in 2017.

Super productive and efficient WR.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Let's not forget about the tight ends. I still have faith in Higbee and Hemingway, and I think Everett is going to take the next step.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Everyone is clameriing on and on about cooks not being a true #1. In my view this offense doesn't have a true #s based we position. They do as far as depth chart goes but to me that's the end of it. McVay schemes his wrs to what works not whose best. Sometimes cooks will be top target others wood's others Kupp all depends on the scheme/need at the time

jap

Legend
Let all the fools underestimate us! Despite Sammy's deep ball threat last season, the NFL still has yet to see this offense---last season's best---raised by a couple of levels as it would have been had Jared & Sammy achieved a solid rapport. When our young TEs join the YAC party, NFL DCs are gonna require intensive therapy sessions both before & after games against the Horns. If Tavon gets ready to roll, he has to know that he has never enjoyed so many playmaking teammates before. They may actually be able to scheme him for isolated plays away from the flurry of defensive focus he normally draws. With Brandin attracting DBs like a magnet, the Gurley Man may actually enjoy the least stacked boxes he has ever had in his pro career . . . and that is a very good thing. I love to see our stud feature back build up momentum as he rumbles downhill.

Last edited:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Cooks were two inches taller there wouldn't be much issue . He's going to dofi the desean Jackson role but he has more ability to go up and get it and make contested catches than Jackson could . Hell, Sammy didn't even do that for us
Cooks is going to thrive!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I hope we sign him before the season starts to a multiple year deal, because there is no way we'll be able to sign him after he puts up legitimate #1 numbers this upcoming season.

Dude's a competitor and will put up 100 yards a game for us.

Just want to put this out there.

In this O there is no #1 receiver and nobody is going to put up 100 a game.

I think people need to grasp that, it will help them understand the personnel moves.

Last year the #1 offense in the NFL, the Rams, had a 100 yard game from a pass catcher five times. All year. Yes thats with Watkins, Woods, Cupp, Gurley..........

So say it out loud 5 times..........There is NO #1 WR in this scheme.

LOL.

Psycho_X

Legend
Just want to put this out there.

In this O there is no #1 receiver and nobody is going to put up 100 a game.

I think people need to grasp that, it will help them understand the personnel moves.

Last year the #1 offense in the NFL, the Rams, had a 100 yard game from a pass catcher five times. All year. Yes thats with Watkins, Woods, Cupp, Gurley..........

That's why I like this offense too. Every week you aren't sure who the star is going to be and neither do the defenses. McVay wants a WR to take the top off/run sweeps/play the edge, a couple receivers to exploit the middle, and a RB/TEs to exploit underneath and seams. We've got it all now. Cooks is actually an upgrade over Watkins for this offense. I was just thinking the other day about who I thought would lead in receiving next year and I couldn't decide between 4 players. I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Cooks, Woods, and Kupp all at or slightly over 1,000 with Gurley not far behind. But no one will be over 1,200. Going to be so fun to watch.