I Repent, Goff is an NFL QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
A couple thoughts:
1] He went to Houston - not necessarily the most stout of competition
2017 Houston Football Schedule
Sept. 2 – at UTSA
Sept. 9 – at Arizona
Sept. 16 – Rice
Sept. 23 – Texas Tech
Sept. 30 – at Temple
Oct. 7 – SMU
Oct. 14 – at Tulsa
Oct. 19 – Memphis (ESPN)
Oct. 28 – ECU
Nov. 4 – at USF
Nov. 18 – at Tulane
Nov. 24 – Navy (ABC/ESPN Networks)
Dec. 2 – The American Championship (ABC/ESPN)
2] Unfortunately, college performance doesn't always translate to pros (see Tavon Austin)
I didn't say he is a Hall of Famer.
I didn't say he wasn't a second-tier quarterback (he is).
I didn't say he should have been drafted as a starter (I can see why he wasn't).

I'm just trying to point out that he's not the bum that's going to revert back to whatever that loses games for you.
He's obviously not.

He seems to be exactly what I was saying he was last year;
A good game manager that can win games for you, grit out a tough win, who is smart, competitive and a REAL NFL quarterback.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't say he is a Hall of Famer.
Don't believe I said you did.

I didn't say he wasn't a second-tier quarterback (he is).

I didn't say he should have been drafted as a starter (I can see why he wasn't).

I'm just trying to point out that he's not the bum that's going to revert back to whatever that loses games for you.
He's obviously not.
I think we all know why he struggled last year and why he is doing much better this year

He seems to be exactly what I was saying he was last year;
Now, we get to the heart of the matter.

A good game manager that can win games for you, grit out a tough win, who is smart, competitive and a REAL NFL quarterback.
In a good system, with good coaching and talented players surrounding him, he can succeed... he IS succeeding.
(of course, you can say that about a lot of QBs who are currently struggling... ones with better physical attributes than Keenum).

He's in a good spot for his skill set and is enjoying a good year.

He's not a Ram any more, so - frankly - I really don't care about him at all... similar to all the discussions around Bradford when he left.

Once they're gone, they're gone (to me) and, unless they play the Rams, I really couldn't care less.

But I hope you feel better about him.. seeing as you said all these things last year. ;)

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have always thought Goff was the real deal at QB but very seldom do players, even really good ones, have the careers we hope or envision for them. I was overly optimistic about Jim Everett and Kurt Warner as well. With Warner's and Everett's early success during their prime years with the Rams I envisioned them both having much longer stints as top QB's while in horns but success for them as Rams was a fickle beast.

For a QB to attain long years of success and deep playoff appearances/performance he needs an organization around him that knows wtf they're doing.

First off that means not only players around him on offense, but a defense that can deliver the required performance in the big games.

Secondly it means top-notch coaching and preferably on both sides of the ball.

Lastly it requires an enormously high dedication to being the best at the most demanding position, i.e. long hours of film, offseason work while other players are in Cancun, etc.

Jared Goff is set up with all the above. He probably has more stars aligned in his favor than any other QB in the league right now not named Brady. Only other young guy with the same type of setup is Wentz, as Pederson is looking like a very fine head coach and that staff is doing a great job too. Advantage Goff has over Wentz is he's more careful to avoid hits, which will hopefully lead to less injury.

Right now I see Jared as on a Tom Brady type track due to the above. But it's also the same track that most of the greats had, where the stars were aligned for them. Good example of what I'm talking about is Marino, what would he have been had he been drafted by the 9ers? The answer is he'd probably have six or seven Super Bowl wins, thankfully we'll never know.

Moving forward it is critical that the Rams keep Wade Phillips happy. Because if they do, they have an un-poachable nucleus on both sides of the ball in coaching staff expertise that will serve them very well over the next few years. Milk that $#!T for all it's worth and enjoy watching this young QB come online in a time tested offensive scheme.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you think people would have drafted him if they know what they know now?

Do you think his lack of success had anything to do with the really bad and desperate teams he was playing for?
I think he wasn’t drafted because he has below average arm strength and that is still evident today.
Would he be a 6th rounder? Umm ok.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Just watch any of his games.
Its why he wasnt drafted and is on his 3rd team
I said link me an example of what you're referring to (the throw). Could be any QB - not necessarily Goff. What I didn't say was "tell me more about Keenum's perceptions". I'm legitimately interested in seeing where people get this noodle arm thing from.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Eli Manning has a noodle arm? What have you been watching? And Kizer? May not able to hit a barn door from 20 yards out but kid has a gun
Eli can’t hit those deep outs anymore. They get there slowly. The dude is 37, I don’t really expect him to have the arm strength he used to. And it was never that strong to begin with.

Kizer has an ok arm. Nothing special. Maybe not noodly(noodlesque?) but certainly in the lower tier in terms of arm strength.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
That's an out route. And it doesn't really prove anything, because he's completed dozens and dozens of those too. He'll, I saw us do that to Brees twice over the past few years, and nobody thinks Brees has a noodle arm.
It just looks very slow getting there. Keenum seems to have to reslly step into throws if he wants to have some velocity behind it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
He definitely has to get his feet set. He's not a great 'off the back foot' thrower, I'll admit.
But he does have some zip and a modicum of power for someone of his frame.

View: http://www.therams.com/videos/videos/Case-Keenum-to-Kenny-Britt-for-54-Yards/57282c2a-4916-420d-9e3b-f552058784f9
I enjoy his deep throws. It’s just those over the middle for 20-25 yard ropes that he has trouble with. Also, that play was the best we had during Fishers tenure. It was good for 40-50 yards every time lol

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jared Goff is currently second in pro bowl voting for the NFC. Get voting ROD!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eli can’t hit those deep outs anymore. They get there slowly. The dude is 37, I don’t really expect him to have the arm strength he used to. And it was never that strong to begin with.

Kizer has an ok arm. Nothing special. Maybe not noodly(noodlesque?) but certainly in the lower tier in terms of arm strength.
Yeah Manning has lost a bit off his fastball but I wouldn’t call it a noodle. Really don’t know where you are getting that on Kizer. Inaccurate yes but the kid has a real strong arm

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yeah Manning has lost a bit off his fastball but I wouldn’t call it a noodle. Really don’t know where you are getting that on Kizer. Inaccurate yes but the kid has a real strong arm
Maybe I need to go watch him again. It probably doesn’t help that he has no chance to really show off his arm.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

I think we all know why he struggled last year and why he is doing much better this year

Now, we get to the heart of the matter.

In a good system, with good coaching and talented players surrounding him, he can succeed... he IS succeeding.
(of course, you can say that about a lot of QBs who are currently struggling... ones with better physical attributes than Keenum).

He's in a good spot for his skill set and is enjoying a good year.

He's not a Ram any more, so - frankly - I really don't care about him at all... similar to all the discussions around Bradford when he left.

Once they're gone, they're gone (to me) and, unless they play the Rams, I really couldn't care less.

But I hope you feel better about him.. seeing as you said all these things last year. ;)
Annnd I didn't say that you said that I did say those things.:whistle:

But I couldn't help notice that you were trying to downgrade his NCAA record by actually taking the time to do internet research on his competition.

There's no astrix by his NCAA record and 6 years later it is still standing.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Oh how we Rams fans enjoy discussing our former QB's.... I wonder what Keith Null is up to these days....