I have concerns about our O line

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
@jrry32 @Memento

I have to ask and please don't take offense.

Would you be as concerned if the Rams drafted who you wanted them to draft?

Honestly? Yeah. Because any rookie starting on the line is going to be a crapshoot either way. Combine that with Foles' injury history, and...well, yeah. He's the one guy we can't afford to lose for the offense. If he goes down, our season is a bust.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32 @Memento

I have to ask and please don't take offense.

Would you be as concerned if the Rams drafted who you wanted them to draft?

Yep. Havenstein is actually more pro ready than the guy I wanted us to draft (Clemmings). It's always a risk starting a bunch of rookies. They could come in and provide steady play or they could struggle.

I might be less concerned if we had come away with say Havenstein, Scherff, and Glowinski because they're all pro ready players. But I'd still be concerned.

I'd feel a lot better if we added a Justin Blalock, Rob Sims, or Joe Barksdale to give us a veteran to compete at one of the starting positions but I don't see that happening.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
If there's one thing that people tend to overlook when it comes to evaluating O-line is cohesiveness as a unit.

The linemen we drafted this year may not be physical, freaks of nature like GRob but if there's one thing they're good at, it is familiarity with scheme and intelligence. Perhaps that's all we needed for our offense to blossom. Effective communication during presnap adjustments will go a long way in making an excellent O-line.

If Gurley and Mason gash front sevens consistently, our O-line will be relieved at pass protection. I personally love the blueprint in our offense, especially with linebackers and secondaries conditioned to stop quality pass happy offenses.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
So here's my take (not that anyone askin'...LOL)

OLT>Robinson/Reynolds
OLG>Saffold/*Brown/*Donnal
OC>Jones/Rhaney/Barnes
ORG>Wichmann/*Brown/*Donnal
ORT>Barksdale/Reynolds/Havenstein/*Donnal/

OL Unit
Robinson
Saffold
Jones
Wichmann
Barksdale
Reynolds
Rhaney
Barnes
Brown

PS Havenstein, Donnal

Now, why this way?

Firstly, I only think we carry 9 and they won't go in with all rooks at backup spots. Word is that the C spot is Jones' to lose so I've got him there for now. We'll see. I think Jones is ready and I actually think he's going to have a break out year. I expect that it should be an open competition, tho.

Of the 4 guys drafted, Cody Wichmann is BY FAR best prepared to play ROG today. There's no conversion, he's played it and played against some of the big boys like USC (Leonard Williams) and Nebraska and held up. His pass pro is actually really nice. He anchors like a pro. Better yet, he seals his blocks like a pro in the run game. None of the others does it as well as he does and they are all well coached. Moreover, for such a "limited" athlete, he ran a 4.9s 40 at 6'6" and 320#. I'll take that kind of limited all day. With Barks next to him, both benefit. The way Wichmann seals his blocks, Barksdale can focus on his outside responsibilities. Frankly, due to the poor play at ROG last year, I think Barks was trying to play ROT and half of the ROG spot and that's why he struggled. Other than a few mistakes, he shouldn't have that problem with Wichmann. Watching Wichmann pick up a USC stunt and stone it is a thing of beauty. I like Havenstein, but he needs some work. He's close, but the Rams need to start fast and I don't see Havenstein as being a day 1 starter at ROT. Close. But I think he needs some time with the 2s.

I have Saffold next to Robinson. Teams really threw the kitchen sink at GRob trying to confuse him. Granted, if he locked onto a guy, it was OVER, but when teams pulled out the trickeration, GRob got confusulled. I expect better this year, but I see his development being aided by having a veteran next to him for one more year.

I have Brown backing up the Guard spots due to his base and how well I see his footwork translating to those spots early. I think both Havenstein and Donnal will be very good OL for us. I think they will need some seasoning.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Fisher flushed the prior vets and went all rookie backups on the OL because they've been sturdy and he feels he can count on them more. It's why I don't have Washington and Bond making it.

Time will tell. These early calls are never right. I mean, it all changes if they sign Blalock, for example although I think that's less likely now. The Rams are going to want to run it 40 times a game and I dunno if Blalock is going to be the mauler that Fisher wants along the lines of who he drafted.

But that's my take.

If we don't resign Barksdale... well, I dunno. Reynolds is probably the Day 1 starter and Havenstein or Donnal becomes the Swing Tackle. Saffold likely moves to ROG and Wichmann and Brown probably duke it out to see who earns the LOG slot. I don't see that as well.

Again, it's early. As with the draft, there's so many possibilities we can't even think of, yet...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There's no way havenstien is going on the practice squad.

iced

Yep. Havenstein is actually more pro ready than the guy I wanted us to draft (Clemmings). It's always a risk starting a bunch of rookies. They could come in and provide steady play or they could struggle.

I might be less concerned if we had come away with say Havenstein, Scherff, and Glowinski because they're all pro ready players. But I'd still be concerned.

I'd feel a lot better if we added a Justin Blalock, Rob Sims, or Joe Barksdale to give us a veteran to compete at one of the starting positions but I don't see that happening.

I agree with you on one hand...

yet another - there's just a different level of comfort knowing wells and joseph aren't on the line...while on one hand you can expect maybe a lapse here or there with rookies, you can't expect - especially these mammoths - to be getting physically beaten/overpowered...

its comforting yet uncertainty at the same time

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Mac, w/ all due respect & might be wrong on this. But If said player (havenstien) is on the practice squad won't he be exposed to allow another team to sign him. So for that reason alone I can't see a player taken in the first 4 rds being "unprotected" via practice squad.

Furthermore if we don't sign Barksdale or an equal talent type RT its Havenstien job to lose. Also I don't think anyone on roster not named Staffold beating out Jamon Brown for a starting guard (LG if your asking me). Jamon Brown looks like a future stud imho.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy

yet another - there's just a different level of comfort knowing wells and joseph aren't on the line...while on one hand you can expect maybe a lapse here or there with rookies, you can't expect - especially these mammoths - to be getting physically beaten/overpowered...

well said iced, rookies won't be turnstiles but will have there moments of growing pains. But worth it moving forward.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
They are healthy and have heartbeats. It's an improvement over last year.
Let them fight it out in camp.

Last year watching Long Wells and Joseph I wasn't sure if was the Rams or the Walking Dead.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Look, I have a hard time seeing our OL being as bad as it was last year. But that still doesn't make me comfortable with it. Improvement is nice but going from terrible to bad isn't good enough for me.

And I'm not saying we can't go from terrible to good. I'm just saying that there's a risk with rookies. You don't know what you'll get.

So while I expect a better OL than last year's atrocity, I just am not confident it'll be enough improvement. But we'll see when these guys actually hit the field. Right now, we have no pro tape to go off of. Here's hoping we find a LG and RT in the group that can provide solid at worst play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So here's my take (not that anyone askin'...LOL)

OLT>Robinson/Reynolds
OLG>Saffold/*Brown/*Donnal
OC>Jones/Rhaney/Barnes
ORG>Wichmann/*Brown/*Donnal
ORT>Barksdale/Reynolds/Havenstein/*Donnal/

OL Unit
Robinson
Saffold
Jones
Wichmann
Barksdale
Reynolds
Rhaney
Barnes
Brown

PS Havenstein, Donnal

Now, why this way?

Firstly, I only think we carry 9 and they won't go in with all rooks at backup spots. Word is that the C spot is Jones' to lose so I've got him there for now. We'll see. I think Jones is ready and I actually think he's going to have a break out year. I expect that it should be an open competition, tho.

Of the 4 guys drafted, Cody Wichmann is BY FAR best prepared to play ROG today. There's no conversion, he's played it and played against some of the big boys like USC (Leonard Williams) and Nebraska and held up. His pass pro is actually really nice. He anchors like a pro. Better yet, he seals his blocks like a pro in the run game. None of the others does it as well as he does and they are all well coached. Moreover, for such a "limited" athlete, he ran a 4.9s 40 at 6'6" and 320#. I'll take that kind of limited all day. With Barks next to him, both benefit. The way Wichmann seals his blocks, Barksdale can focus on his outside responsibilities. Frankly, due to the poor play at ROG last year, I think Barks was trying to play ROT and half of the ROG spot and that's why he struggled. Other than a few mistakes, he shouldn't have that problem with Wichmann. Watching Wichmann pick up a USC stunt and stone it is a thing of beauty. I like Havenstein, but he needs some work. He's close, but the Rams need to start fast and I don't see Havenstein as being a day 1 starter at ROT. Close. But I think he needs some time with the 2s.

I have Saffold next to Robinson. Teams really threw the kitchen sink at GRob trying to confuse him. Granted, if he locked onto a guy, it was OVER, but when teams pulled out the trickeration, GRob got confusulled. I expect better this year, but I see his development being aided by having a veteran next to him for one more year.

I have Brown backing up the Guard spots due to his base and how well I see his footwork translating to those spots early. I think both Havenstein and Donnal will be very good OL for us. I think they will need some seasoning.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Fisher flushed the prior vets and went all rookie backups on the OL because they've been sturdy and he feels he can count on them more. It's why I don't have Washington and Bond making it.

Time will tell. These early calls are never right. I mean, it all changes if they sign Blalock, for example although I think that's less likely now. The Rams are going to want to run it 40 times a game and I dunno if Blalock is going to be the mauler that Fisher wants along the lines of who he drafted.

But that's my take.

If we don't resign Barksdale... well, I dunno. Reynolds is probably the Day 1 starter and Havenstein or Donnal becomes the Swing Tackle. Saffold likely moves to ROG and Wichmann and Brown probably duke it out to see who earns the LOG slot. I don't see that as well.

Again, it's early. As with the draft, there's so many possibilities we can't even think of, yet...

We couldn't put Havenstein or Donnal on the Practice Squad. They'd have to clear waivers first. Somebody would grab them. Havenstein will definitely be on the team. Donnal, since he's a 4th rounder, might not but there's still a 95% chance (imo) that he's on the opening day roster.

I think you'll see:
Robinson
Saffold
Jones
Reynolds
Havenstein
Wichmann
Rhaney
Brown
Donnal

For sure. So if anyone gets the heave ho for a veteran free agent, I think it would be Tim Barnes. We could carry 10 OLs if we chose to. If not, Donnal or Wichmann likely ends up on the practice squad unless they beat out Reynolds for a roster spot.

But I'm not sold they'll sign a veteran FA at this point. We'll see.

…..

Legend
Please note while your sky is falling that occupying Offensive Linemen with a ton of run blocking assignments will greatly reduce thier ability to make mistakes and get the quarterback hurt.

…..

Legend
For sure. So if anyone gets the heave ho for a veteran free agent, I think it would be Tim Barnes. We could carry 10 OLs if we chose to. If not, Donnal or Wichmann likely ends up on the practice squad unless they beat out Reynolds for a roster spot.

Was Rhaney hurt last year or on the practice squad?

Barnes has experience starting at center at this level, what makes you think that an unknown 7th round commodity like Demetrius Rhaney will beat him out? Barnes is also on the cheap.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Was Rhaney hurt last year or on the practice squad?

Barnes has experience starting at center at this level, what makes you think that an unknown 7th round commodity like Demetrius Rhaney will beat him out? Barnes is also on the cheap.

Hurt...IR.

What makes me think it? The Rams reportedly really like the kid whereas they let Barnes sit in FA for quite awhile before bringing him back.

Barnes is on the cheap...but Rhaney is cheaper.

That's just my feeling. If the Rams were really high on Barnes, I think they would have been quicker to sign him or would not have let him hit FA in the first place. IMO, they brought him back for depth and competition because Jones and Rhaney both had injuries last year. But if both are healthy at the start of the regular season, I think Barnes ends up in FA or on the PS (if he's still PS eligible).

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
We need to have a drill for the OL to go against Rob Quinn in a 1-on-1 pass rushing situation, with that incredible bend he has that's just what these pass pro struggling rookies need. No one in the league can rush like the Mighty Quinn IMO.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If there's one thing that people tend to overlook when it comes to evaluating O-line is cohesiveness as a unit.

The linemen we drafted this year may not be physical, freaks of nature like GRob but if there's one thing they're good at, it is familiarity with scheme and intelligence. Perhaps that's all we needed for our offense to blossom. Effective communication during presnap adjustments will go a long way in making an excellent O-line.

If Gurley and Mason gash front sevens consistently, our O-line will be relieved at pass protection. I personally love the blueprint in our offense, especially with linebackers and secondaries conditioned to stop quality pass happy offenses.

Yep. I've been saying it all offseason. All you need to field a good OLine are five average to above average guys working well together as a unit.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Please note while your sky is falling that occupying Offensive Linemen with a ton of run blocking assignments will greatly reduce their ability to make mistakes and get the quarterback hurt.

giphy.gif

And hopefully, hopefully, the TEs and backs keep up their ends of the bargain.

BadCompany

Rookie
Gurley and Tavon Austin (yes, Austin) will be key in the early going, I think. It's only natural that the line will have problems for the first few weeks of the year, especially in pass protection (which apparently isn't any of their strong suits to begin with). Couple that with Quick still possibly on the mend from his shoulder injury and a new QB in Foles I would have to say our passing game is going to be... well, let's just say "not elite". Not for the first few weeks anyways, in my humble opinion. And it looks like Fisher and Snead are quite okay with that.

So Gurley and Austin are going to have to carry the mail. Gurley will have to get yards, perhaps in spite of the offensive line, and Austin will have to be a passing threat in the flat, or on swings, or wherever. Because if he's not able to stretch the defense with bursts of speed coming off the line then I think they'll just stack the box against Gurley and he's going to be pounding his way to three yard gains only. We need Austin to keep linebackers and secondaries at the very least a LITTLE hesitant about keying off on the running game only.

Then, with time, maybe the offensive line can gel into a coherent and workable pass protecting group, Foles will figure out the new scheme, and Quick, Britt and Bailey can open the middle and deep routes. But I think the first few weeks will be largely dependent on how much Gurley can do, and whether Austin can keep defenses honest.

In my humble, non-expert opinion of course.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
"In keeping with the situation....."

With many having concerns over the lack of of experience being voiced here presently with our 2015 OL. After loosing Wells/Long/Joseph/Barksdale/Person this off season....I find it refreshingly new to have exchanged old weak unhealthy OL'ers for young strong healthy OL'ers.

Currently I would consider the below the core seven of this Ram OL. Experience in NFL games is clearly absent.

#1-Saffold 26/5- OLG/ORG 63 games with 60 starts
#2-Reynolds 27/7-ORT/ORG 52 games with 27 starts
#3-Barnes 26/3-OG/OLG 45 games with 7 finished starts
#4-Robinson 22/2 OLT/OLG 16 games with 12 starts
#5-Jones 24/2-OG/OC/OLT 10 games 1/2 game start
#6-Washington 26/2- OLG 1 game 3/4 start
#7-Rhaney 22/1- OC IR'd rookie season

Fisher just invested & added four drafted OL'ers in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 6th rounds of the 2015 draft. 1 is a pure pure ORT & another is a pure ORG. But the other 2 (Brown/Donnal) play over 3 OL positions. If we are to consider all of the above as our OL cadre that totals 11. Fisher has (as the Rams HC) carried 11 OL'ers on the master 53 player roster many times before.

If your stated concern is true then why would a 26 yr old Barnes the 3rd most experienced Ram OL'er with 45 NFL games & Ram starts under his belt, give way to a smaller 21 yr old Rhaney with ZERO game experience? Or Barret Jones who only has 10 games & as it stands now Jones may be the only reasonable back to Robinson & logical replacement for Mike Person?

High chance that of the above 11 several will end up on the IR injured at some point in TC & pre season. I feel strongly that when you have a legit concerns of lack of experience you would not increase that concern with the release of Tim Barnes & go into the regular season with two centers with ZERO starts & only 10 dressed NFL games between them.:notsure:

Last edited: