I am still bitter, need therapy, SB 36

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams2050

Starter
I will never get over it. I just know the Cheats cheated, and they (and the NFL) deprived my beloved Rams of their second SB. It sucks!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Not to mention the refs DID NOT CALL anything on their defense that was holding every single play. Hard to get open when the DB tackles you before the ball gets there. And on the last drive, we tackled them in bounds, and the refs stopped the clock. Don't get me started. . . . Oh, too late!

I hear complaints about this all the time, but the truth is the refs never call anything in any Super Bowl or championship games. By in large the whistles get put away. Its the same way in every sport, NBA, NHL, the whistles get put away and they let the boys play.

Pats still cheated and that is fine as the football gods have made sure they have not won since.

That all being said, we still should of won that game.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I hear complaints about this all the time, but the truth is the refs never call anything in any Super Bowl or championship games. By in large the whistles get put away. Its the same way in every sport, NBA, NHL, the whistles get put away and they let the boys play.

Pats still cheated and that is fine as the football gods have made sure they have not won since.

That all being said, we still should of won that game.

True but it still doesn't excuse the no call on intentional grounding and stopping the clock when the player was tackled in bounds on that drive.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I don't think about that game much anymore but I still get a little mad when I do. But I think the Raiders can be just as mad as anyone. That tuck rule call was probably the worst call in nfl history. Especially considering the time it was called and the huge impact it had. Clearly Brady wasn't going to throw the ball on that play. Patriots should have never even been in the super bowl that year at all. But that's why I root for all Boston sports teams to lose. Plus living near Boston for two years I've seen how much in denial they are over what happened and how Goddell swept everything under the rug for them.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I'm not saying there wasn't something fishy going on in that game. But I blame Martz. Their defense dared us to run and he still threw the ball. We had one of the best running backs in the game. Give em a heavy dose of Faulk and they woulda backed off into a more traditional defense. Then we woulda torched them with the pass. Martz's arrogance caused that loss as much as the refs.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
First off, the zebras flagged Conwell early on a ticky-tack holding call, while Holt was being blatantly held.
I'm not saying there wasn't something fishy going on in that game. But I blame Martz. Their defense dared us to run and he still threw the ball. We had one of the best running backs in the game. Give em a heavy dose of Faulk and they woulda backed off into a more traditional defense. Then we woulda torched them with the pass. Martz's arrogance caused that loss as much as the refs.
Second, don't you think the zebras (with the evidence above) would have flagged the Rams for every major gain in the running game? Which would have put us back into passing mode anyway.

I see these arguments all the time. The fact that the early part of the game favored the Patriots penalty-wise confirms that the fix was in.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
True but it still doesn't excuse the no call on intentional grounding and stopping the clock when the player was tackled in bounds on that drive.

I agree, but I will always have a tough time blaming the officials in this one. They called McGinest for holding Faulk on Tebucky Jones' 97 yard TD that got called back. That would of given NE a 24-3 lead with 10:36 left in the fourth, instead we converted and scored to make it 17-10. Its all perspective I guess. It will be bitter for all Ram fans, no matter who we want to blame

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I was on the phone the start of that game with my buddy and we were jacked
Then they announced the Rams offense and all our offensive starters came out on the field
THEN the Pats all came on the field as a team....
We both fell silent
Then he mentioned "that's not good"
We both had a simultaneous sinking feeling that it was gonna be a lot tougher than we had imagined
Belichick being a dick or not is a pretty damn good coach and he had them all together that day
Notice ever since that Super Bowl -everyone there after, they've announced the entire team when they come on the field

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I don't think about that game much anymore but I still get a little mad when I do. But I think the Raiders can be just as mad as anyone. That tuck rule call was probably the worst call in nfl history. Especially considering the time it was called and the huge impact it had. Clearly Brady wasn't going to throw the ball on that play. Patriots should have never even been in the super bowl that year at all. But that's why I root for all Boston sports teams to lose. Plus living near Boston for two years I've seen how much in denial they are over what happened and how Goddell swept everything under the rug for them.
it was awesome payback for the nfl elite, they screwed Georgia and Al Davis in the same playoff year.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
I agree, but I will always have a tough time blaming the officials in this one. They called McGinest for holding Faulk on Tebucky Jones' 97 yard TD that got called back. That would of given NE a 24-3 lead with 10:36 left in the fourth, instead we converted and scored to make it 17-10. Its all perspective I guess. It will be bitter for all Ram fans, no matter who we want to blame
Let's get one thing straight. That was the ONLY defensive holding call all game. On top of that, Bernie Kukar, the head zebra, tried to have the flag picked up--by his own admission. He spent several minutes in conference with the ref who called the holding. Besides, McGinest held Faulk's leg. If there was a reason the play failed, it was because Faulk was held.

RamGal

UDFA
Then they announced the Rams offense and all our offensive starters came out on the field
We both fell silent
We both had a simultaneous sinking feeling that it was gonna be a lot tougher than we had imagined
Belichick being a dick or not is a pretty damn good coach and he had them all together that day
Notice ever since that Super Bowl -everyone there after, they've announced the entire team when they come on the field

I remember watching the game with my husband, and saying the same thing, "that's not good." He told me I was over-reacting.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

he didn't hold him, he tackled him. on what would have been an easy td pass to faulk. even crooked refs have their standards, except kukar. they made it all better on that last drive anyway, holding brady's hand all the way down the field.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We both fell silent
I remember watching the game with my husband, and saying the same thing, "that's not good." He told me I was over-reacting.
I wonder how many Rams fan felt the same way, because I thought it was a bad omen too at the time.

RamGal

UDFA
I'll tell you a little story that I heard but I've never shared on a Rams board.

Out of the Navy, about 6 years ago, I moved to New Orleans. (just moved back to StL as a side note, and totally stoked! although, Nola's in my soul now haha.)

Anyway, my supervisor, whom was in the National Guard, moonlights at the Superdome as an usher; but during SB XXXVI, the Nat Guard provided security for the teams at their respective hotels. When I first met him I told him where I was from and that I like the Saints (and I do), but my allegiance is with the Rams. He says 'Rams huh?'

And proceeded to tell me this:
He worked security for the Pats. Every night they were in by 8:00pm, heads down as they walked past security to their rooms, Belichick was a dick. Everyone was total business.

His cohort guardsmen for the Rams detail, described his experience as they came in: late, rowdy, and fully enjoying all that New Orleans had to offer. I said, 'Well, if it was early in the week, then that's awesome! Kept em' loose' He basically said that it was early in the week, middle of the week, and later in the week.

That Super Bowl always stuck in my craw too, but I know Chuck would never lie, so I got over the Tape Gate quicker. I'm not saying the whole team indulged or that everyone indulged the night before. Even given a little margin for embellishment by Chuck, maybe the Rams didn't take the SB as seriously as the Pats did (I f@*%$ing hate the Pats!! so this was like acid to my ears).

I don't know if this story will get you off the ledge, but me personally, I stopped blaming the Pats (as much) and thought that maybe the Rams took the Pats a little lighter than they should've. Faulk is a native New Orleanian, I once saw Jim Moher Sr (sp?) at Willie Mae's Scotch House (best fried chicken I've ever had), all as a side note.

I heard the same story years ago, from several different sources, because I knew people in the hotel industry at the time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Side note: I recently heard a radio interview with Grant Wistrom who said (paraphrasing), "If we can lose a Super Bowl because we were stupid enough to practice super secret plays in an open stadium that anyone (from the other team) can access, then we deserved to lose."

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Let's get one thing straight. That was the ONLY defensive holding call all game. On top of that, Bernie Kukar, the head zebra, tried to have the flag picked up--by his own admission. He spent several minutes in conference with the ref who called the holding. Besides, McGinest held Faulk's leg. If there was a reason the play failed, it was because Faulk was held.

If we are getting things straight there were 2 defensive holding calls and a PI. 1st quarter at 5:42 on Terrell Buckley which was declined. At 10:10 Otis Smith got flagged for PI which was excepted. It was a 9 yard route in which he held Holt, so they could of called PI or holding. Then there was a 4th quarter defensive holding on Tebucky Jones on a punt that was also declined. If you include the declined calls, NE was actually flagged more than the Rams. The penalties and yards was just about even.

I don't want to argue but you said it was fixed and if it was fixed it would of been easier to let the 97 yard TD stand. I disagree the game was fixed. I agree that the Pats cheated and Martz got stubborn on the 2nd half and ultimately that cost us the game, not the refs.

ABIGRAMFAN

UDFA
Name
ABIGRAMFAN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it is so nice to know I am not alone in my agony. You are truly my people, my brothers, my Ram family.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Right, they absolutely had to call that one. It was so blatantly obvious, and that play would have been played over and over again on highlight reels, so it would have been tough to bury it. But even so, Kukar tried to fill his role dutifully.