Hype train in full effect

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't think JG does, at all. Unless you are just looking at his W-L, and while some believe that the QB is solely responsible for that, I don't. He has some bad mechanical flaws, that lead to him not being accurate over about 10-15 yards. I think just about every QB could be as successful as him this year, with the teams they have played, and they way they have run the ball.

He's been accurate at every distance, you can see his splits here.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/16760/jimmy-garoppolo

Let's say we win. We move to 4-2, they move to 4-1.

They remain in first place, but do we then again emerge as the team to beat in the division?

I think it's fair to say that, especially if they shut down the 49ers O. They are currently scoring essentially 32 points a game and the defense has only contributed two TD's. If the Rams hold them to under 20, say in the 10-16 range then for sure the vibe will be that the Ram are the top dog in the NFCW.

They can say all they want.
The bottom line is the teams the 49ers have played have a combined record of 5-15 and the Rams 15-10.
So far the Rams have played much better competition.
Eventually the whiners schedule gets a little tougher, then we’ll see what they are.

Yes that's true, but they aren't just winning they are kicking the other teams asses in three of the four wins. Good teams do that to bad teams.

Obviously I'm a Rams fan, but this 49er team looks very good, well coached and has a really good defense. McVay is going to have to find a way to protect Goff. The 49ers have 13 sacks in 4 games and they will be gunning for him all day long.

bluecoconuts

Legend
As much as Colin Cowherds statements tend to make me roll my eyes, he said something the other week that’s stuck with me regarding QBs being coddled while their running game does all the work.

Jimmy doesn’t have a 300 yard game this season, in fact half the games he’s put up less than 200 yards. He’s piled on shitty teams but otherwise he’s being carried by the running game and defense.

Shanahan found a solution to his problem and that was take the game out of his QB’s hands. Game manager.

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Worst case is that we are .500.

Lots of games to play yet and, going into the fourth quarter, we have been in position to pull out a win in both losses.

That is all you can ask for.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
As much as Colin Cowherds statements tend to make me roll my eyes, he said something the other week that’s stuck with me regarding QBs being coddled while their running game does all the work.

Jimmy doesn’t have a 300 yard game this season, in fact half the games he’s put up less than 200 yards. He’s piled on shitty teams but otherwise he’s being carried by the running game and defense.

Shanahan found a solution to his problem and that was take the game out of his QB’s hands. Game manager.
Agreed. Yet Jimmy is spoken of by most in the media as being the reason for the success, much more than Goff.

Though you do hear Shanny given Much of the credit, the respect level for Grabapole is higher, and Much is not earned.

For the Rams, McVay is given all the credit, and the respect level for Goff is almost nonexistent, though he has earned much.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I am waiting on the counter as well, I think we saw a bit of it with the tight ends last week. as far as the league catching up with us I think they've taken away some of the routes that have been really efficient for us but expanding the offense with the tight ends and establishing the run game while also getting the OL playing in sync better will create greater efficiency.
Ok. I know conventional wisdom is , got to establish the run, but bill Walsh showed It isn't necessarily the case. They could run it, but that had more to do with how well they established the pass.
What I have seen so far, is trying to establish the run, stalls us out of drives. That is the reason we dont start moving the ball till we get behind. When we pass on 1st down we move the ball. Run on first down we dont. So I say pass till they can't look for the run. Then keep then honest with the run. Establish the pass from the beginning. The league is focused on our run 1st. We can stay ahead of the chains passing right now. So do what you do best.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I will say the Rams put up pretty good fights vs the Seahawks in their heyday. And they were a much scarier defense then Sanfran. I don’t think we will have an issue moving the ball. It worries me more about stopping the run.

Bader

UDFA
Niners may feel like they are on top of the world, but not for long. This is when they are most vulnerable. Time to show them who's boss.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

That's a bit misleading of Cowherd to say without adding real context.

In two games they got up early and big and when that happens teams run a lot more than pass. In one game they got up in the 3rd quarter and started running more.

The 49ers aren't a smashmouth type of team but they are running more than passing because it's working and they have had the lead big time.

JG has 113 passing attempts while the team has 154 rushing attempts.

The Rams D better be prepared because they have the following to throw at them.

Breida who is averaging 6.5 per carry
Mostert has 5.8 per carry
Coleman 5.5 per carry.

They do the RB by committee thing and it's working.

The two keys to the game for the Rams are containing the 49ers running attack and pass rush.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i've only watched them play against the browns and jimmy g looked far from convincing. i don't know what his numbers were but my overall impression was if you can stop the run this guy won't beat you.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

i've only watched them play against the browns and jimmy g looked far from convincing. i don't know what his numbers were but my overall impression was if you can stop the run this guy won't beat you.

Stopping the 49ers run game is no easy task.

That is going to be a big deal for this defense!

Name
Kent
It’s starting already, first off the 9ers are undefeated and in first place, so props for that, but now Garapalo is back to being the next Brady and Shanny the next Belichick. Guy on the radio was talking about McVay’s time in Washington, he said McVay was the charismatic one and he’s turned into a very good coach but Shanny was the real genius. McVay’s success is tied to his system which is being figured out whereas what Shanny does is flexible like New England.
Interesting take, of course going to nfc championships and the SB puts a target on your back for every team in the league and drafting in the top 5 allows the 9ers to stockpile talent. They’ve also gotten to fatten up on the afc north, but you can’t play teams with losing records all year unless you’re NE so I guess we’ll see.

The 49ers are for real but they aren't nearly as good as we made them look Monday night.

Stop the run and protect Goff. Those will be your keys to the game.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Lots of games to play yet and, going into the fourth quarter, we have been in position to pull out a win in both losses.

That is all you can ask for.

I could ask for 16 - 0 every one a 30 point win but you know the old saying wish in one hand crap in the other and see which fills up first.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
What has Shanny done to be known as a master playcaller, have one 11-5 season with the Falcons? The Redskins sucked 4/5 seasons he was there.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Same for me. But I also seen how they countered Cleveland’s pressure from their front 4. A couple of well timed reverse killed the Cleveland defense.

It’s been a while since I have been this stoked for a Rams/Niners game.

Can’t wait to see the Rams knock them off the undefeated list!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Ok. I know conventional wisdom is , got to establish the run, but bill Walsh showed It isn't necessarily the case. They could run it, but that had more to do with how well they established the pass.

I've heard that said about teams over the years, and I have to say I don't recall the Walsh led 49ers being that way even though that's been said about them in that era.

I remember them being very balanced and Walsh being very disciplined and restrained about how he approached games. And his teams ran plenty too.

He was the first guy to script the opening drive or two based on what a team's defense was good or bad at meaning run versus pass, and I remember seeing that team come out and run Rathman in front of Craig as a lead blocker many times more than they passed early in games on lots of occasions, including against the Rams.

Yeah he had Montana, Rice and lots of great players but that guy made so few mistakes it was maddening. He was Belichick before Belichick came on the scene. In fact you can make a case that he is as good or better than Belichick, it would be great debate.

4 SB wins and no losses in 10 years versus 6 wins and 3 losses in 19 years.

It would be great discussion. Cap era versus no cap..........different rules..........man there is a lot to that discussion. So many layers and so much nuance.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sundays game will be put up or shut up. If the 49ers win at the coliseum , it will be time to panic .
3-3 will be a deep hole to dig out of . I think the boys will handle their business.

Ram65

Legend
The Whiners looked like a very tight offense against the Browns. Lots of run plays with big holes. Breada and Co. using quickness and speed when things got clogged up. Those traits really shine when they had holes to run through. Good thing their fullback is out. He has given Rams fits along with Kittle. Jimmy G is good with time and the first read is open. Let's see how he does with pressure. Shanny makes some good calls. They look more like the old Whiners minus the QBs. We haven't seen them when play much at full strength much.

It's going to get down to blocking and tackling as it usually does.