How to solve our OL for 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Guesstimate Rams ten initial OL'ers:
LT- Whitworth/ Noteboom {PUP}
LG- Corbett/ Shelton {9th Ol'er} /Kolone {10th OL'er}
OC- Unknown/ Allen {#8th Ol'er}
RG- Edwards/ Brewer {#7th OL'er}
RT- Havenstein/ Evans {#6th OL'er}
I'm guessing at this point that the Rams will trade Havenstein. I'm on the fence with that, as I have always liked him (he strikes me as an earnest guy who gives full effort and has talent) but in the end I think the Rams will continue the youth movement and will keep Evans and Edwards where they were in 2019 since they have Whit coming back.

Like most here I've been changing a bit here and there on what I expect, but overall I think we'll have a couple new pieces on this line...

LT - Whit
LG - Corbett
C - MCGOVERN (FA)
RG- Edwards
RT- Evans

LT Depth - Boom
C Depth - Allen vs Shelton
iOL Depth - Brewer
RT Depth - DRAFTEE

At a minimum I think we'll see a FA (likely at Center). And we'll see a draftee (likely an OT with good feet) who will be RT depth for 2020. So two new OL bare minimum IMO.

It is also likely IMO that we'll see another iOL added at some point to keep building depth and competition. Center/Guard type would be nice. So two to three are what I think has a good chance of happening.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm seriously hoping that we take Tyler Biadasz to solidify the center position. I'm fine with re-signing Whitworth and dealing Havenstein if we can, but center desperately needs to be upgraded. Allen is not an answer in the slightest.

My O-line:

LT - Whitworth
LG - Corbett
C - Biadasz
RG - Edwards
RT - Evans

That's an O-line I think we can win with, especially if Noteboom pans out at left tackle like I think he can. Of course, I'd also draft players like Netane Muti and/or Prince Tega Wanogho (for potential competition); our offensive and defensive lines need desperate improvement, in my opinion.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So you think we'll have the same exact OL room as last year with some different positions 43? I think that is the definition of insanity. In fact if the Rams do that, we will be a marginal playoff team at best in 2020.

Hope you're wrong, and I'll leave it at that.

We should know a lot more in a week. Right now it is as good of a guess as any on the direction The Rams go. Right now The Rams don’t have a LT or a Center. Add both backups at this point are Allen & Noteboom. I can’t trust those 2 players. Still baffles me MCVAY did not put this guys in during the preseason.
PISSES ME off MCVAY teacher of young men & coaches players up, put them in a loss loss situation. Talk about InSanity.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
So you think we'll have the same exact OL room as last year with some different positions 43? I think that is the definition of insanity. In fact if the Rams do that, we will be a marginal playoff team at best in 2020.

Hope you're wrong, and I'll leave it at that.

That’s not the same starting OL as last September’s, Merlin. C’mon, man...

Last year it was the following:

Whit
Boom
Allen
Blythe
Hav

Hell, I changed 4 of the 5 from that based upon what I’ve seen on the field AND what McVay and Kromer have been saying about their players in the press.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Snead needs to call in Vanilla Ice.

Cuz if there was a problem, YO he'd solve it.

He is also available for algebra and geometry tutoring in SFL.

Ram65

Legend
My O-line:

LT - Whitworth
LG - Corbett
C - Biadasz
RG - Edwards
RT - Evans

I'm not giving up on Havenstein at RT just yet. I like Biadasz too. He can also play OG so I could see him competing there. That would allow Allen to get a chance at OC. That scenario would create some good competition and depth.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That’s not the same starting OL as last September’s, Merlin. C’mon, man...

Last year it was the following:

Whit
Boom
Allen
Blythe
Hav

Hell, I changed 4 of the 5 from that based upon what I’ve seen on the field AND what McVay and Kromer have been saying about their players in the press.
You have all 5 spots manned by the same group but in different slots. I'm all for development but this OL room needs a little more talent mixed in from some combination of the draft & FA.

Sorry man but to me that is settling. And I hope Snead & McVay are ready to not settle here real soon. Cheers.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm guessing at this point that the Rams will trade Havenstein. I'm on the fence with that, as I have always liked him (he strikes me as an earnest guy who gives full effort and has talent) but in the end I think the Rams will continue the youth movement and will keep Evans and Edwards where they were in 2019 since they have Whit coming back...........
I am in the same position stuck on the top of the fence with Havenstein too.

The big question I threw out last week that nobody seemed to pick up on or just had no ideal what went on late last season was......why after Rob came off the injury list with 3 gms left to be played........did McVay/Kromer continue to start Rookie OT Bobby Evans?

With Rob off the injury list did Evans bring something more than Rob? Could it have been in pass protection? Were the Rams done with Robs inability to protect Goff in the passing plays no matter how well his run blocking was?

Going with the rookie OT who was having his ups & downs on each & every snap was not expected by me. McVay has always been reluctant to start younger players. As we have discussed the Rams Ol is in need of a few veteran Ol'ers & Rob was our 2nd most experienced OL'er & they did not even dress him out for those 3 gms & went with rookie Chandler Brewer as their swing OT.

Bottom line here is if OT Joseph Noteboom is as McVay says he is ....."ready to participate in training camp" .....& the Rams do sign Whitworth then Rob's chances of being traded before/during 4/24/2020 would increase dramatically IMO.

Rams would have 4 KNOWN OT's Whitworth/Evans/Noteboom & Brewer without Havenstein. In addition, (as you & I have discussed) we expect Snead to draft an LT to make five.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I am in the same position stuck on the top of the fence with Havenstein too.

The big question I threw out last week that nobody seemed to pick up on or just had no ideal what went on late last season was......why after Rob came off the injury list with 3 gms left to be played........did McVay/Kromer continue to start Rookie OT Bobby Evans?

With Rob off the injury list did Evans bring something more than Rob? Could it have been in pass protection? Were the Rams done with Robs inability to protect Goff in the passing plays no matter how well his run blocking was?

Going with the rookie OT who was having his ups & downs on each & every snap was not expected by me. McVay has always been reluctant to start younger players. As we have discussed the Rams Ol is in need of a few veteran Ol'ers & Rob was our 2nd most experienced OL'er & they did not even dress him out for those 3 gms & went with rookie Chandler Brewer as their swing OT.

Bottom line here is if OT Joseph Noteboom is as McVay says he is ....."ready to participate in training camp" .....& the Rams do sign Whitworth then Rob's chances of being traded before/during 4/24/2020 would increase dramatically IMO.

Rams would have 4 KNOWN OT's Whitworth/Evans/Noteboom & Brewer without Havenstein. In addition, (as you & I have discussed) we expect Snead to draft an LT to make five.
McVay IS NOT reluctant to start young players or give them significant playing time. That’s just wrong. Rapp, Gaines, Noteboom, Allen, Evans, Edwards all young players who started or got significant playing time like a starter just last year. His willingness to play young players goes back to his first year as head coach. The Rams picked Noteboom to be groomed as Whitworth‘s heir apparent at left tackle. He could be ready for training camp, as has been reported. The Rams may draft a tackle but not to be a LOT.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
McVay IS NOT reluctant to start young players or give them significant playing time. That’s just wrong. Rapp, Gaines, Noteboom, Allen, Evans, Edwards all young players who started or got significant playing time like a starter just last year. His willingness to play young players goes back to his first year as head coach. The Rams picked Noteboom to be groomed as Whitworth‘s heir apparent at left tackle. He could be ready for training camp, as has been reported. The Rams may draft a tackle but not to be a LOT.
I still maintain that the Rams have been uneager & disinclined to give younger player snaps & starts. I would also say it's not necessarily always a negative thing too.:giggle: My post above was on the Offensive Line so I was discussing that area in my thoughts & comments more than the overall team.

How many starts or snaps did rookies Brian Allen/ Joe Noteboom & Jamil Demby have in their rookie seasons & did those lack of snaps (Or unwillingness of McVay/Kromer to provide them offensive snaps) contribute to the major OL issues in 2020?

How many starts or snaps did rookies RB john Kelly, NT Sebastian Joseph-Day, LB Travin Howard & Micah Kiser get in their rookies seasons? Still waiting to see more snaps & starts of TE Gerald Everett now entering his 4th season only has 4 starts.

Our top draft pick Taylor Rapp got his starts due to injury of safety John Johnson & him being IR'd plus the injuries to LB veteran Hager. NT Gaines never started & played in only 5 gms. LB Reeder started after injuries/IR to Lb'ers Micah Kiser & Bryce Hager. CB Long never started & was only seen on defense after wk#10 after Talib & Peters departures, along with injuries to CB Williams (November), Hill (wk#15) & Ramsey (Wk#16). RB Henderson (saw only 39 touches even with RB Brown injured), WR Nsimba Webster (zero)& Og Okoronkwo (has stats in 4 gms) all used sparingly.

You mentioned rookie OL'ers Edwards & Evans only started & saw action after injuries to Noteboom & Havenstein & the failure of Demby. McVay sure was not reluctant to go with all 1st season reserve OL'ers in 2020. So you have merit here in his OL reserves, however McVay did not have injuries to his OL in 2017/2018 seasons.

It might have been better to have stated that both HC McVay & DC Wade were normally unwilling to play younger players than most. Maybe that's why McVay wanted a younger DC in Brandon Staley.....maybe we will see this season Kevin(y);).

Last edited:

Kevin

Pro Bowler
I still maintain that the Rams have been uneager & disinclined to give younger player snaps & starts. I would also say it's not necessarily always a negative thing too.:giggle: My post above was on the Offensive Line so I was discussing that area in my thoughts & comments more than the overall team.

How many starts or snaps did rookies Brian Allen/ Joe Noteboom & Jamil Demby have in their rookie seasons & did those lack of snaps (Or unwillingness of McVay/Kromer to provide them offensive snaps) contribute to the major OL issues in 2020?

How many starts or snaps did rookies RB john Kelly, NT Sebastian Joseph-Day, LB Travin Howard & Micah Kiser get in their rookies seasons? Still waiting to see more snaps & starts of TE Gerald Everett now entering his 4th season only has 4 starts.

Our top draft pick Taylor Rapp got his starts due to injury of safety John Johnson & him being IR'd plus the injuries to LB veteran Hager. NT Gaines never started & played in only 5 gms. LB Reeder started after injuries/IR to Lb'ers Micah Kiser & Bryce Hager. CB Long never started & was only seen on defense after wk#10 after Talib & Peters departures, along with injuries to CB Williams (November), Hill (wk#15) & Ramsey (Wk#16). RB Henderson (saw only 39 touches even with RB Brown injured), WR Nsimba Webster (zero)& Og Okoronkwo (has stats in 4 gms) all used sparingly.

You mentioned rookie OL'ers Edwards & Evans only started & saw action after injuries to Noteboom & Havenstein & the failure of Demby. McVay sure was not reluctant to go with all 1st season reserve OL'ers in 2020. So you have merit here in his OL reserves, however McVay did not have injuries to his OL in 2017/2018 seasons.

It might have been better to have stated that both HC McVay & DC Wade were normally unwilling to play younger players than most. Maybe that's why McVay wanted a younger DC in Brandon Staley.....maybe we will see this season Kevin(y);).
You can change your story if you want to. Young players are not just rookies.

Ram65

Legend

I'm not reading much into McVay leaving Havenstein out the last three games.

1. He was out of shape to start the season
2. Probably still out of shape and rusty coming off the injury
3. Evans and Edwards at least had experience playing together even if Evans PFF grade was below just 50.

As previously stated I believe Havenstein can come back and do a good job. He will have to compete for a starting spot which is will make him and the rest prepare harder.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a good question Boni and one I think that we won't know the answer to until the offseason moves are all made.

They weren't conceding games, though, that's for sure, so it insinuates that they wanted Evans in there over Hav. And this is why I suspect they will move Hav, that plus Whit returning at LT means moving him allows for resource allocation to Center or somewhere else.

I think the right side is set with Edwards & Evans. Keeping Hav for competition and depth would be fine but this is a business and money is wasted if it's going to a guy that might not crack the starting 5.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's a good question Boni and one I think that we won't know the answer to until the offseason moves are all made.

They weren't conceding games, though, that's for sure, so it insinuates that they wanted Evans in there over Hav. And this is why I suspect they will move Hav, that plus Whit returning at LT means moving him allows for resource allocation to Center or somewhere else.

I think the right side is set with Edwards & Evans. Keeping Hav for competition and depth would be fine but this is a business and money is wasted if it's going to a guy that might not crack the starting 5.
It's Evans vs. Edwards vs. Hav vs. the Wuhan virus. CAGE MATCH!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Just had a random thought in regards to Briann Allen. His big weakness is that he just lacks size for the position - from what I understand.

Does anyone think he could be used in a fullback or move tight end role? Essentially putting an extra offensive lineman on the field. Does he have the movement skills to lead block or pass block from a running back/tight end set?

For a center his size is small but for a full back he might be a monster running free at linebackers.

Just curious shoot me down or add your own input.