How to solve our OL for 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
@PressureD41

Who knows? Depends on what happens with Brockers, Fowler and Littleton but I don't hold out much hope for them. I think they need another safety (JJ and Rapp and who? Scott?). I believe CB depth should be on the list (Ramsey, Robey-Coleman and Hill are the top 5 in defensive salary allocation; they prolly won't hand out cash in free agency there). DL help. An edge rusher. A big fat clogger in the middle. Maybe a LB? But it's what Staley, McVay and Snead think. Staley is the guy tasked with fixing the defense and I'm sure he'll get a lot of help from Snead

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Ya they could go in a number of different directions and w/ Snead you never know if he going to slide back a couple of times them jump back up. All I know is I will be glued to the TV

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm starting to suspect the Rams are targeting their LT of the future in this skilled OT draft Boni. Of course at 52 there is no telling whether the guy they want will be on the board. Probably gonna be dicey with other positions having higher value, but all things being equal I think they take the OT if one they like is there because those guys are just that hard to find.

Would they trade up? I find that hard to imagine but I agree with you that this is a significant issue on the roster so maybe they would if the guy they want gets to the 40s or whatever.

Who would their target/s be at 52 at OT? I assume Lucas Niang and Josh Jones are off the board but if not either of them would be taken immediately. Guys who I think have a reasonable chance to be there are Austin Jackson, Prince Wanogho (his knee scares the F out of me), and Ben Bartch (strong senior bowl but like the other two needs some dev time).

I'm a USC fan so I've seen a lot of Jackson. He's stiff but I feel like he's got the upside we could use at the position. That said he needs dev time. Gonna put up a vid of him vs BYU where you get a good feel for who he is vs the usual college competition:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UjhLt_Prxw

And here's a vid of him vs Iowa where he draws Epenesa who is like matching up vs an NFL end (he struggles):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssy0Xffj8K4

Here's Bartch who played DIII level so yeah the competition isn't too great:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YukSJshBf84

However Bartch did have a strong week of practice and definitely belonged:

Wanogho has more upside, might end up really being something at this level but like these other two needs dev time:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1D3osm0qgE

And vs a very good LSU defense:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdm2laryn0A

Again not sure who's going when and OTs get drafted higher than they should as we all know. But those are the guys who roughly fall in that range looking at some different lists.

I’ll keep saying it, especially if The Rams are going to do exactly what I thought they would do by bringing back Whitworth & Blythe . That is not draft a Offensive Lineman in 2020 draft. Have already made that Rod money bet !!

As a USC fan myself I would really like to see The Rams draft Pittman in the 3rd to 4th rd. Kupp,Reynolds, & Maybe Woods are FA’s at the end of 2020 ?? The Rams will draft a WR in that range regardless.

Bonifyram never thought Whitworth would make it through his 3 years. I personally think he was looking good his last half of the season. I think his LEADERSHIP is Barnone!! When Goff had the young O”Lineman at Whitworths house for Thanksgiving was a huge bonding session for that unit. I Always Posted About The Big 5 !!! This Unit will be more than just The Bug 5!! It will be The Big 8 & Beyond.

I think The Rams will have a hard time making cuts as it is ALL depending on Whitworth & Blythe resigning.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ya they could go in a number of different directions and w/ Snead you never know if he going to slide back a couple of times them jump back up. All I know is I will be glued to the TV

I think his picks are in good

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
As a USC fan myself I would really like to see The Rams draft Pittman in the 3rd to 4th rd. Kupp,Reynolds, & Maybe Woods are FA’s at the end of 2020 ?? The Rams will draft a WR in that range regardless.
Wouldn't surprise me if the Rams took Pittman. They do need a guy for outside the hashes at some point due to Cooks' out being ahead and JRey hitting FA soon. Les was quoted in a recent interview that he expected WR to be among the BPA options in every round in this draft, which demonstrates how crazy that group is.

One concern with Whit moving forward (I have accepted at this point that he's coming back) is that his struggles correspond to the competition he faced. Some of these young ends that have a power game on top of speed are too much for him. That isn't going to get any easier in our sched for 2020 and I've already gone on a bit about concerns in how he looked compared to 2018, that the dropoff at his age is a very bad indicator.

But anyway. Long way to go just gonna cross my fingers and hope Les properly navigates this minefield.

nighttrain

Legend
Wouldn't surprise me if the Rams took Pittman. They do need a guy for outside the hashes at some point due to Cooks' out being ahead and JRey hitting FA soon. Les was quoted in a recent interview that he expected WR to be among the BPA options in every round in this draft, which demonstrates how crazy that group is.

One concern with Whit moving forward (I have accepted at this point that he's coming back) is that his struggles correspond to the competition he faced. Some of these young ends that have a power game on top of speed are too much for him. That isn't going to get any easier in our sched for 2020 and I've already gone on a bit about concerns in how he looked compared to 2018, that the dropoff at his age is a very bad indicator.

But anyway. Long way to go just gonna cross my fingers and hope Les properly navigates this minefield.
might be Whit's drop off was due to no Saffold? young guys on line should be better this season.
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm starting to suspect the Rams are targeting their LT of the future in this skilled OT draft Boni. Of course at 52 there is no telling whether the guy they want will be on the board. Probably gonna be dicey with other positions having higher value, but all things being equal I think they take the OT if one they like is there because those guys are just that hard to find.

Would they trade up? I find that hard to imagine but I agree with you that this is a significant issue on the roster so maybe they would if the guy they want gets to the 40s or whatever.

Who would their target/s be at 52 at OT? I assume Lucas Niang and Josh Jones are off the board but if not either of them would be taken immediately. Guys who I think have a reasonable chance to be there are Austin Jackson, Prince Wanogho (his knee scares the F out of me), and Ben Bartch (strong senior bowl but like the other two needs some dev time).

I'm a USC fan so I've seen a lot of Jackson. He's stiff but I feel like he's got the upside we could use at the position. That said he needs dev time. Gonna put up a vid of him vs BYU where you get a good feel for who he is vs the usual college competition:

Again not sure who's going when and OTs get drafted higher than they should as we all know. But those are the guys who roughly fall in that range looking at some different lists.
I would sure hope so.

McVay has already got more starts out of LT AW that anyone else thought was possible. Now they are continuing to double down on him again & believe that AW is the answer to give them another full healthy season in 2020 pushing past the age of 39.:rolleyes::palm: I can not wait to see this 2020 patched up version @ LT.

Then there's the well discussed numerous LT Noteboom problems & unanswered questions going into his 3rd yr on a 4 yr deal. None of which have been resolved at this point going into FA'cy & the Draft.

In addition, the other RT post with Veteran 28 yr old Havenstein went into the shallow end of the cesspit initially & then went deeper to never float back to the top. Then Rob came up lame. Havenstein's nasty smelly septic tank pass protection skill odors are not likely to disappear at this stage of his career. McVay paid Havenstein over $8 million last season & will again pay him near to $8 mil this season as I sit here & try to sell myself that it was an off year for Havenstein.

Yes Sir Merlin, this Org better be planning on targeting on several Ram future blind side protectors in this draft for Goff.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Right on !! My take on Whitworth is he was peaking at the end. Went against the best DE’s in football last year. Young Bosa,Watt as well as the best DE in the NFL from Arizona. Even Clowny who I thought Evans handled well. Evans is a quality 6th man type if Whitworth & Blythe are resigned.

It’s not just Snead, Kromer has a lot of say with the Offensive Lineman. Yes - WR & playmakers are a must. If The Rams replace Mike Thomas with a young stud WR then the depth will be awesome.
The Rams are going to lose Littleton & Fowler. I believe The Rams might resign Brockers if the price is right ??
So where Snead comes in is he wants players to test the FA market so they know there value & will be happy being a Ram.
Now that The Rams are building depth the don’t have to use the franchise tag with desperation.
Will see how it works out , but I think what we have seen the last 4 seasons with McSnead is what we will get. Of course there is growth & a learning curve. My concern right now is the Price of Salary & Draft picks The Rams have made. RAMsey is a concern ?? What cost ??

I do think The Rams draft a DE/OLB with there early pick, Maneuvering for value either way. It has been awhile since The Rams have traded up though. In both cases Tavon Austin & J. Joyner size did matter & The Rams over valued them.
Greg Robinson at number #2 was horrible. The Rams could have owned that draft . Thank God for Aaron Donald.
Trading up for Goff was good,but getting rid of a SuperBowl MVP & locking in Case Keemum could have been a better way to go. Now that all the dust has settled The Rams are in a much better place. Getting rid of Snisher for McSnead is worth it all.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I would sure hope so.

McVay has already got more starts out of LT AW that anyone else thought was possible. Now they are continuing to double down on him again & believe that AW is the answer to give them another full healthy season in 2020 pushing past the age of 39.:rolleyes::palm: I can not wait to see this 2020 patched up version @ LT.

Then there's the well discussed numerous LT Noteboom problems & unanswered questions going into his 3rd yr on a 4 yr deal. None of which have been resolved at this point going into FA'cy & the Draft.

In addition, the other RT post with Veteran 28 yr old Havenstein went into the shallow end of the cesspit initially & then went deeper to never float back to the top. Then Rob came up lame. Havenstein's nasty smelly septic tank pass protection skill odors are not likely to disappear at this stage of his career. McVay paid Havenstein over $8 million last season & will again pay him near to $8 mil this season as I sit here & try to sell myself that it was an off year for Havenstein.

Yes Sir Merlin, this Org better be planning on targeting on several Ram future blind side protectors in this draft for Goff.

Whitworth I’ve trusted all along & have told you as well. You never thought Saffold would have got the contract he got with Tennessee!! Let alone finishing up with The Rams the way he did.
Whitworth & Sullivan helped make Saffold a better player & without them it may never would happened. Leadership is underrated & you of all poster should or do know that depending on the day.
- What you want Big Rob Havenstien to be your veteran leader of this young group after the REALIZATIONSHIP ANDEREW WHITWORTH has with The Rams Organization???
Whitworth in my Book will be a RAM HALL OF FAMER !! It doesn’t get much better than him !! He has been one of the BEST FREE AGENT RAM signings of AllTime!!!

BTW - who do you think Jared Goff wants protecting his Blindside. Oh wait Whitworth wasn’t play hurt either ??? Especially against the best RDE in the NFL

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
might be Whit's drop off was due to no Saffold? young guys on line should be better this season.
train
I am sure you are correct train that the 2019 Saffold missing element played a big part. OLG'ers Noteboom/ Demby/ Edwards/Corbett with only Corbett having one NFL start before 2019. All 4 had their initial Ram starts beside Whitworth.

I am also in agreement with you that both of the Rams later half season starting OG's Corbett & Edwards should show considerable improvement in the run game side.....its just takes much longer for young inexperienced OL'ers to get the pass protection technical side up to NFL requirements.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Gonna make a run here at reading the ‘20 OL tea leaves.

Whit (I,too, have accepted that he’ll be extended) BTW, Boom will be reportedly ready for camp per McVay.
Edwards/Evans
Corbett (Snead has said C is his best position)
Evans/Edwards
Hav

I’m kinda basing these projections on things that Snead, McVay, and Kromer have said, tbh.

OL might not be among our top 2-3 draft picks. I’m sensing that the Ram brain trust is pretty darned comfortable with the guys that they’ve got, assuming the Whit ‘insurance policy’.

Look for top picks to go for BPA among Edge, DL, ILB, WR, RB, or S through the expected comp pick in round 4.

’Course, FA will bring things into sharper focus. But the above is my current best guess given all known factors plus my gut feelings.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Whit (I,too, have accepted that he’ll be extended) BTW, Boom will be reportedly ready for camp per McVay.
Edwards/Evans
Evans/Edwards
Hav

I’m kinda basing these projections on things that Snead, McVay, and Kromer have said, tbh.

OL might not be among our top 2-3 draft picks. I’m sensing that the Ram brain trust is pretty darned comfortable with the guys that they’ve got, assuming the Whit ‘insurance policy’.

Look for top picks to go for BPA among Edge, DL, ILB, WR, RB, or S through the expected comp pick in round 4.

’Course, FA will bring things into sharper focus. But the above is my current best guess given all known factors plus my gut feelings.
I like it.

Here's how I see it @ this time....

Rams OG's Starters LG Austin Corbett & RG David Edwards & top swing OG reserve Chandler Brewer with Jeremiah Kolone being the 4th in line swing OG.

Rams OT's. Starting RT competition between Bobby Evans & Rob Havenstein. I see the above ID'd swing OG being a legit top RT reserve if the Rams feel that Havenstein has not put enough effort in this off season conditioning. Big Rob must come in healthy, quicker & lighter in order to vastly improve his pass protection skills. Rams starting LT will most likely be Andrew Whitworth with Joseph Noteboom as his reserve.

Rams Center's will be Brian Allen & the versatile Coleman Shelton. I believe the Rams will sign experienced veteran starting center who is UNKNOWN.

Guesstimate Rams ten initial OL'ers:
LT- Whitworth/ Noteboom {PUP}
LG- Corbett/ Shelton {9th Ol'er} /Kolone {10th OL'er}
OC- Unknown/ Allen {#8th Ol'er}
RG- Edwards/ Brewer {#7th OL'er}
RT- Havenstein/ Evans {#6th OL'er}

Draft Projection: Rams will select early their future starting LT / 5 tech DL'er & Edge Rusher prospects.

If Rob Havenstein has failed to refurbish his previous 2017/2018 form & condition this off season the Rams will trade him before the trade deadline for a future 2021 draft selection. Noteboom should be ready to come off the PUP list around this time & take up the reserve RT position behind Evans. Top swing reserve Brewer can return his main focus towards the two OG posts

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If Biadasz falls to us, we should take him. No arguments, no second-guessing; just fucking take the guy and have him man center for the next ten years.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
If Biadasz falls to us, we should take him. No arguments, no second-guessing; just fucking take the guy and have him man center for the next ten years.
In The second round at #52 or third round at #84?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have no real issues with the Rams going this route but I would question the soundness of a re-injection of a rookie or non NFL experienced center back as starter into the OL in 2020.

If the plan is for center Biadasz to not start then would not a defensive 5 tech DL or Edge Rusher have a much bigger impact on the improvement of this trending downward Ram team? Normally first yr defensive players have immediate dividends in the win lost column. I expect Snead to go the route of taking the best defensive player on the board with his top selection.

My personal preference would be to strongly consider the selection of a pure LEFT OT over a OC. My thought is the Rams have youthful OC prospects already here in Brian Allen (9 starts), Austin Corbett (8 starts), Coleman Shelton (0 starts) & Nate Trewyn (0 starts).

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I like it.

Here's how I see it @ this time....

Rams OG's Starters LG Austin Corbett & RG David Edwards & top swing OG reserve Chandler Brewer with Jeremiah Kolone being the 4th in line swing OG.

Rams OT's. Starting RT competition between Bobby Evans & Rob Havenstein. I see the above ID'd swing OG being a legit top RT reserve if the Rams feel that Havenstein has not put enough effort in this off season conditioning. Big Rob must come in healthy, quicker & lighter in order to vastly improve his pass protection skills. Rams starting LT will most likely be Andrew Whitworth with Joseph Noteboom as his reserve.

Rams Center's will be Brian Allen & the versatile Coleman Shelton. I believe the Rams will sign experienced veteran starting center who is UNKNOWN.

Guesstimate Rams ten initial OL'ers:
LT- Whitworth/ Noteboom {PUP}
LG- Corbett/ Shelton {9th Ol'er} /Kolone {10th OL'er}
OC- Unknown/ Allen {#8th Ol'er}
RG- Edwards/ Brewer {#7th OL'er}
RT- Havenstein/ Evans {#6th OL'er}

Draft Projection: Rams will select early their future starting LT / 5 tech DL'er & Edge Rusher prospects.

If Rob Havenstein has failed to refurbish his previous 2017/2018 form & condition this off season the Rams will trade him before the trade deadline for a future 2021 draft selection. Noteboom should be ready to come off the PUP list around this time & take up the reserve RT position behind Evans. Top swing reserve Brewer can return his main focus towards the two OG posts
Rob Havenstein stands out as right tackle trade candidate
by Kenneth Arthur-Mar 10, 2020,

The Rams could be in position to deal from their offensive line despite issues they had last season

1583943737364.png

Rob Havenstein certainly wasn’t a nobody when he came into the NFL, having been a second round pick out of Wisconsin by the St. Louis Rams in 2015. Under then-head coach Jeff Fisher, Havenstein was a solid player as the right tackle but he impressed enough in Sean McVay’s system in 2017 for the Los Angeles version of the team to give him a four-year, $32.5 million contract extension in August of 2018. Havenstein made that contract look like a bargain with his breakout play in 2018 as the Rams made it back to the Super Bowl after a 17-year hiatus, but with three years left on the deal his team may be looking to swap him for a cheap draft pick.

Is there a team out there willing to give up said draft pick and should it be the LA Chargers?

As things hit all cylinders in the right way in 2018, LA’s offensive line excelled in making Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, and all the receiving options shine in their brightest ways possible. And as many things began to dim last season, Havenstein’s poor play got as much attention as almost anyone else on the Rams offense. Not only that, but Havenstein missed several games with a knee injury and then was outplayed by backup Bobby Evans at right tackle. As the Rams look to save cap space for moves in the upcoming offseason, one potential area of savings is in dealing Havenstein to a team willing to take on his $3.75 million roster bonus and thereby saving $5.4 million overall.

The acquiring team would be getting a player at a position where there are few greats, which is right tackle, assuming he isn’t moved elsewhere. They’d also be getting one whose salary is more than acceptable, so long as he returns to his pre-2019 form: $3.25 million in 2020, $6.75 in 2021, and $7.25 in 2022. They could also release him with no dead money.

The bad side is that Havenstein appeared to be very bad in 2019. His PFF grades plummeted and the Rams may have turned to Evans already anyway.

Right now, the Chargers have openings at both tackle spots after trading Russell Okung to the Panthers for guard Trai Turner. They’ve got their right guard for next season but have open competitions at right and left tackle. Acquiring Havenstein would give them a right tackle, but the cost to acquire is still up for debate. What would you think of an LA switcharoo?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Edwards/Evans
Evans/Edwards
Hav
So you think we'll have the same exact OL room as last year with some different positions 43? I think that is the definition of insanity. In fact if the Rams do that, we will be a marginal playoff team at best in 2020.

Hope you're wrong, and I'll leave it at that.