How about a draft crush megathread/tracker?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I know what you mean. Also though highlight vids are so much more fun to get you pumped about a player. When you watch the full game cutups there's always plays where you're not gonna be impressed. Especially if you get one of their lesser games lol.

But for a nice reality check watch some full Rams games too and focus on the ILBs. I respect what our guys have done of course but boy is there room for improvement.

I've been watching the Rams season over. I'm surprised by the play of some of the players. Kenny Young stood out as having a good game against Miami. Henderson looked pretty good in the first 6 or seven games. The O line blocked pretty well in the first half of the season once JN was replaced. Even pass blocking was looking good for the most part. Some of them really faded as the season went on.

With the ilbs it makes me wonder if they will be looking for just a run stuffer and stick with Young, especially with Howard returning. Maybe they takes guy like Barnes to develop.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
For the Broncos sake, hopefully, the writer is correct and this isn't just a pre-draft pollyanna article written by a new writer (Kenneth Booker is a staff writer at Mile High Huddle just getting his start in NFL media and covering the Denver Broncos).

I'm guessing he replaced this writer from the same website.

Lloyd Cushenberry | C: 42.2

There were some good moments from Cushenberry to help save his grade from being completely terrible, but his season was mostly bad. His lack of length really showed up multiple games, leading to a lot of issues in pass protection and as a run blocker. He was without question the worst run blocker the Broncos had this season and just couldn’t handle reach blocks very well. If he wants to remain a starter, he will need to put in a lot of work on how to improve and cover for his lack of length.

Erick Trickel is the Senior Draft Analyst for Mile High Huddle. He has covered the Denver Broncos, NFL, and NFL Draft since 2013.

Then again, both can be true.

Not understanding what your saying.All I know is I’m glad The Rams drafted the players they did.Could be one of The Best drafts they have had in awhile.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
For the Broncos sake, hopefully, the writer is correct and this isn't just a pre-draft pollyanna article written by a new writer (Kenneth Booker is a staff writer at Mile High Huddle just getting his start in NFL media and covering the Denver Broncos).

I'm guessing he replaced this writer from the same website.

Lloyd Cushenberry | C: 42.2

There were some good moments from Cushenberry to help save his grade from being completely terrible, but his season was mostly bad. His lack of length really showed up multiple games, leading to a lot of issues in pass protection and as a run blocker. He was without question the worst run blocker the Broncos had this season and just couldn’t handle reach blocks very well. If he wants to remain a starter, he will need to put in a lot of work on how to improve and cover for his lack of length.

Erick Trickel is the Senior Draft Analyst for Mile High Huddle. He has covered the Denver Broncos, NFL, and NFL Draft since 2013.

Then again, both can be true.

Not understanding what your saying.All I know is I’m glad The Rams drafted the players they did.Could be one of The Best drafts they have had in awhile.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
With the ilbs it makes me wonder if they will be looking for just a run stuffer and stick with Young, especially with Howard returning. Maybe they takes guy like Barnes to develop.

Yeah and when you watch ILBs admittedly there are a lot of plays where they get eliminated schematically. Quick plays to the outside in so many variations, as well as going over the top with deep passes. So I do get why the position has been devalued.

But I do this every year too. Every year I look at the ILBs and put them up somewhere in this part of the board and then we basically ignore the position and I get to watch other teams upgrade their off ball guys. I just feel like our floor at the position is so low that if we were to get lucky with say Jamin Davis falling to us at 57 the impact would be really big.

And of our guys there are games where each of them look pretty good. I was impressed with Reeder the most but he's just limited when he gets matched up with athletic backs. So schematically when we line our defense up vs a team like Green Bay who has a top QB and a top RB our lack of talent really shows. From there when you talk about making this defense better ILB is probably a pretty cheap and easy way to do it assuming the right guy slides to the right spot.

Lastly I dislike trying to evaluate guys in the secondary on college tape. Because it's hard to see wtf the guys in the secondary are doing without an all-22 type feed. So admittedly I tend to look a lot harder at the front seven types on defense. This is why I tend to watch a lot of the senior bowl practices with the corners I want to look at.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Zaven Collins is a stud. But 270??? Wow.

Wouldn't it be nice if that helped him slide to us.

Re: Smith the weight doesn't bother me at all. I always suspected some NFL wideouts were lighter than advertised like the Reverend for example. Some lucky team might get a real windfall with him due to overanalysis on that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah and when you watch ILBs admittedly there are a lot of plays where they get eliminated schematically. Quick plays to the outside in so many variations, as well as going over the top with deep passes. So I do get why the position has been devalued.

But I do this every year too. Every year I look at the ILBs and put them up somewhere in this part of the board and then we basically ignore the position and I get to watch other teams upgrade their off ball guys. I just feel like our floor at the position is so low that if we were to get lucky with say Jamin Davis falling to us at 57 the impact would be really big.

And of our guys there are games where each of them look pretty good. I was impressed with Reeder the most but he's just limited when he gets matched up with athletic backs. So schematically when we line our defense up vs a team like Green Bay who has a top QB and a top RB our lack of talent really shows. From there when you talk about making this defense better ILB is probably a pretty cheap and easy way to do it assuming the right guy slides to the right spot.

Lastly I dislike trying to evaluate guys in the secondary on college tape. Because it's hard to see wtf the guys in the secondary are doing without an all-22 type feed. So admittedly I tend to look a lot harder at the front seven types on defense. This is why I tend to watch a lot of the senior bowl practices with the corners I want to look at.

I too ilb would make a huge difference imo. I think the run defense on opposite Floyd needs an improvement too. I am not so sure Howard can provide that.

If Lewis or OBO could stay healthy maybe it improves. But that’s a big if. It’s part of why I like Payton out Houston. I have repeating nightmares of the Niners running at will around their OLT and mowing down our defenders. It was a glaring weakness in a few games. That has to bother McVay doesnt it?

I’m always excited to see who the Rams draft but this year is full of mystery. Do they go OL, WR, ILB, OLB, or Corner early on. Part of the mystery is in what Morris thinks needs improving on the defense and how much weight his opinion carries.

Another part of the mystery is that so many evaluations seem to vary from the press. Can Snead capitalize on poor evaluations by other teams?

Finally I think the Rams have done a good job of being less predictable this year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a good look for most of them. Collins gaining weight.

Atwell and Smith are so light.

I don’t mind Tan’s height if he can turn that weight into strength.
Yeah 270 is pretty hefty but he's a stud, for reference Floyd is listed for us at 240.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah 270 is pretty hefty but he's a stud, for reference Floyd is listed for us at 240.

yes. But he’s listed as De/edge. I guess that some ppl think he could be a versatile piece to use.

edit: I was watching more of his highlights and the announcer said he was 6’-6” and 290. If that is true he’d definitely be a good replacement for Brockers and Fox at DE

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Some Surratt... He's 21 off ball. Shows what I'm talking about re: him looking like a souped up safety. Note him vs the QB early in the film with a first down up for grabs and he loses. Would boost us in coverage at ILB but wouldn't help us too much vs the run IMO.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOY14IjB4Gs

vs Miami

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOY14IjB4Gs

He just seems to have all of the intangibles the Rams like.
Justin Hilliard is a very intriguing player. He's a plus guy in a lot of different ways even though he looks small to me on his film. Compare him to these other ILBs and he's shrimpy looking little MFer but he has a penchant for big plays. Kind of a swiss army knife looking player to me, the guy can actually cover and his closing speed is something. He's 47 and I hate putting up highlights but the vid is from one game so it's fair to put it up as he had one hell of a game there. He'll go midrounds but is probably one of the more impacting midround pick possibilities.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgifIn_NRaM

I think Hilliard gets moved to edge rusher. I’m not a big fan.

I guess something that struck a cord was what Snead said about last years draft. They just didn’t see that any of the guys they felt they could get at ILB were much of an improvement over what they already have. I kind of think this year is the same. I am down to hoping Rozeboom has developed his ass off last year and is ready to make an impact. Wishful thinking.

So along that line of thinking, I definitely see Corners that could upgrade what they have at Hills spot. Ditto for Center and Oline. That and future holes don’t seem to favor LBers in this draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sad yet proud that another year my first draft crush of the year rising above our first pick :(

View: https://twitter.com/jfowlerespn/status/1387406562638106626?s=21

I love his film too man. I think he's a late first round type in fact. So many RT types in the first 10 listed OTs you see on all these sites. So many guys he is going to outperform. He's a stud.

But someone's gotta fall to us. They always do I just hope the priority is to take one of them vice trading down. I really want an impact player at 57.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He just seems to have all of the intangibles the Rams like.
Yeah as soon as I read that article on him that talked about his chess background and smarts I knew the Rams would love him.

The guy does have some outstanding upside. So I won't complain if we take him he would be an enormous upgrade in the passing game.

I think Hilliard gets moved to edge rusher. I’m not a big fan.

I guess something that struck a cord was what Snead said about last years draft. They just didn’t see that any of the guys they felt they could get at ILB were much of an improvement over what they already have. I kind of think this year is the same. I am down to hoping Rozeboom has developed his ass off last year and is ready to make an impact. Wishful thinking.

So along that line of thinking, I definitely see Corners that could upgrade what they have at Hills spot. Ditto for Center and Oline. That and future holes don’t seem to favor LBers in this draft.
You think edge? I don't know about that but nothing would surprise me with him. Hilliard reminds me of Uche who I loved last year. He can do a ton of things for whoever drafts him but where he really stands out is in space. Some of his coverage clips are insane.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love his film too man. I think he's a late first round type in fact. So many RT types in the first 10 listed OTs you see on all these sites. So many guys he is going to outperform. He's a stud.

But someone's gotta fall to us. They always do I just hope the priority is to take one of them vice trading down. I really want an impact player at 57.
I think one of those teams like the Jags or Jets or Bengals will grab him top of the second. Also say it with me Asante Jr is falling to 57......

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah as soon as I read that article on him that talked about his chess background and smarts I knew the Rams would love him.

The guy does have some outstanding upside. So I won't complain if we take him he would be an enormous upgrade in the passing game.

You think edge? I don't know about that but nothing would surprise me with him. Hilliard reminds me of Uche who I loved last year. He can do a ton of things for whoever drafts him but where he really stands out is in space. Some of his coverage clips are insane.
Well OLB. Rush/coverage.