Hot Ones

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Yes, I used Crystal a lot when in the Navy...I used the Tabisco name in a generic sense for pepper sauce.
I hear the flight deck guys on aircraft carriers use crystal a lot too, but I don't think it's a hot sauce.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I hear the flight deck guys on aircraft carriers use crystal a lot too, but I don't think it's a hot sauce.
Those were bennies, not crystal meth! Get yur drugs right!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So is Tapatiobetter than Tobasco when making hot corn? (Sweet corn, tobasco, and butter)

Yes it is!

I love melting butter and adding hot sauce and brushing it on a good ear of corn!!! And Tapatio is delicious!!!

Sadly the veggies here in Florida are terrible because of the shit soil.

I've been looking for raised garden boxes to grow veggies and herbs. The shit in the stores has ZERO flavor.

Tomatoes here are "decorative" LOL no taste at all.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
I lived in New Orleans for a dozen years, and what I observed is that tabasco was used by the tourists. There were dozens of other brands popular with locals.

That is interesting. I haven't been to NO since the early '90s. At that time Tabasco was everywhere as in the recipes used. I collect creole cookbooks that go back decades further and the recipes call for tabasco. Granted tabasco was distributed far and wide for mixed drinks, but these recipes were from southern women from the Deep South including NO. I'd be interested in which hot sauces were used and for which dishes during your time in NO.

If anyone here lives in NO and has survived the conference championship and has a hot sauce they use to cook with please chime in!(y)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That is interesting. I haven't been to NO since the early '90s. At that time Tabasco was everywhere as in the recipes used. I collect creole cookbooks that go back decades further and the recipes call for tabasco. Granted tabasco was distributed far and wide for mixed drinks, but these recipes were from southern women from the Deep South including NO. I'd be interested in which hot sauces were used and for which dishes during your time in NO.

If anyone here lives in NO and has survived the conference championship and has a hot sauce they use to cook with please chime in!(y)

My favorite of straight Louisiana style hot sauces is Crystal. That is very popular in New Orleans, or at least was prior to the flood. Made in town, and present in virtually all non-tourist restaurants - and often even in those. Not easy to find here in the Phoenix area, unfortunately. I used to be able to, not so common now. When I lived there from 1987-1999 it was available at all the small restaurants, the places locals would go to. As I said, tabasco was around too, but seemed to be mainly used by tourists.

Oh, and not relevant to the flavor, but the producers of tabasco are the ones who introduced nutria to south Louisiana. They wanted to breed them for their fur. A hurricane came, breaking the holding pens, and they are all over now, looking like 3 foot long rats and damaging the many drainage canals in the area.

coconut

Pro Bowler
Name
coconut
My favorite of straight Louisiana style hot sauces is Crystal. That is very popular in New Orleans, or at least was prior to the flood. Made in town, and present in virtually all non-tourist restaurants - and often even in those. Not easy to find here in the Phoenix area, unfortunately. I used to be able to, not so common now. When I lived there from 1987-1999 it was available at all the small restaurants, the places locals would go to. As I said, tabasco was around too, but seemed to be mainly used by tourists.

Oh, and not relevant to the flavor, but the producers of tabasco are the ones who introduced nutria to south Louisiana. They wanted to breed them for their fur. A hurricane came, breaking the holding pens, and they are all over now, looking like 3 foot long rats and damaging the many drainage canals in the area.
I see Crystal here as well as Louisiana brand hot sauce in many restaurants but both are are milder and taste the same to me but are not the flavor of tabasco. Don't misunderstand I do like the flavor of both Crystal and Louisiana brand hot sauces and will gladly use them in the absence of tabasco. However I won't cook with them. For me tabasco's flavor is essential for many dishes. Personal preference as it is.;) I enjoy the old recipes rather than the new interpretations of the last 30 years.

Yeah the nutria are a bitch but taste good from what I hear. That stuff happens unfortunately. The asian carp were brought in by the rice farmers. It sucks.

Last edited: