Honest Question...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Keeping in mind that the secondary has had injuries. rookies, and have been beat by some excellent receivers.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yes. And Tru not being hung over. Because that's the only way I can describe how bad he looked today.

He's regressed, he must being hanging out with Brian Schottenheimer.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
we don't have a smart fast safety that can turn his hips fast and play in coverage. that's the problem

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
And they never jam WR's at the LOS to redirect them or mess with timing.

True but you can only do that in certain situations. Jamming with a lot of field behind you also means giving up big plays. We saw that today when Tru failed on his jam of Beckem on an 8 man blitz and he got burned for 40 or 50 yards. I just don't think we have a full secondary of CBs that we can trust to jam NFL receivers effectively unless it's on a short field.

Alan

Legend
jrry32 missing a key ingredient in his pie:
Here's my best explanation I can give on the deep ball.

So I'd say it's the fault of both players. Joyner should have trailed Beckham Jr. which would have allowed Barron to play over the top. But Barron should have played it safe anyways.
Barron has his strengths but pass D isn't one of them and he should never have been on the field in that situation much less tasked with the duties you say he was given. Failure to perform correctly in those types of situations is we we got a top 10 draft pick before his first contract expired. Is that just really bad coaching or does it point to our not having a great alternative?

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I get that Williams has his style and I wasn't complaining after giving up 12 points in the 3 games prior to this one.... But!

This game reminded me of the defence earlier in the season where we would blitz, blitz, blitz without seemingly learning from the fact it wasn't working. Williams has never had a d line as good as the one he has here (as far as I know) and I can't help thinking that sometimes he needs to calm down a bit, let the d line do its thing and help them out by dropping more players into pass coverage thereby giving them more time to get to the qb (in theory at least).

I make no apologies for complaining about the D after they've been so good for the last few weeks. To go from 12 points in 3 games (and no TDs) to 37 points in 1 game is the type of inconsistency that needs to be eradicated for us to become a play off team.

iced

Barron is not good in coverage.....

one big reason he was traded....

Rams need to leave former Bucs alone

Last edited:

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
QBs that can read the blitz have and will always give this D a problem. Well, if they have a good OL that is. At some point you need to see an adjustment, but I think GW is too stubborn to do that. He's fine against weaker teams, but most average to good teams find an answer. I was most annoyed that after 10 days off, the Rams looked tired and flat.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
QBs that can read the blitz have and will always give this D a problem. Well, if they have a good OL that is. At some point you need to see an adjustment, but I think GW is too stubborn to do that. He's fine against weaker teams, but most average to good teams find an answer. I was most annoyed that after 10 days off, the Rams looked tired and flat.

The Giants had good playcalling, they came into town ready for Williams blitzing and made the defense pay. Quick hitters, and 3-5 step drops. EManning got the ball out fast today and Williams kept coming and paid the price.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's my best explanation I can give on the deep ball. It appeared to me that Joyner was in Bronco technique. Which is a seam to flat zone. In Bronco technique, he's supposed to carry the 2(slot WR) vertically and pass him off when threatened in the flats. Seemed like Joyner misread things and doubled the WR underneath instead of carrying Beckham Jr. down the field. I think Barron overreacted and made a bad decision jumping outside trying to compensate for Joyner thinking that McDonald could get there if he made a mistake.

So I'd say it's the fault of both players. Joyner should have trailed Beckham Jr. which would have allowed Barron to play over the top. But Barron should have played it safe anyways.

But I could be wrong here. I just gleaned that from our defensive setup and the replay.

Correction: They were playing Cover 2 so I actually think Trumaine Johnson was the one at fault here. LaMarcus takes the inside man while Trumaine is supposed carry the outside guy vertically. I think Trumaine realized it too late because he paused for a second kind of threw his hands up like, "oh shi" when he saw Joyner take his man.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Most of them seem like a communication issue, not sure a personnel change would do much good. They probably just need more time in the system to get on the same page..
If communication continues to be the problem it's time to replace Chuck Cecil.

Irish

Starter
If you are going to blitz 5-6 guys every play, you need a shutdown man to man cover corner who all but eliminates #1 WRs.

I have been banging the drum for a shutdown corner for 2+ years. That guy does not exist on this roster.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
If you are going to blitz 5-6 guys every play, you need a shutdown man to man cover corner who all but eliminates #1 WRs.

I have been banging the drum for a shutdown corner for 2+ years. That guy does not exist on this roster.

Janoris and I disagree.

images