Honest Question...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
What needs to be done to stop the deep balls? Seems like one a game average, anyone got ideas?

jjab360

Legend
Most of them seem like a communication issue, not sure a personnel change would do much good. They probably just need more time in the system to get on the same page..

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
What needs to be done to stop the deep balls? Seems like one a game average, anyone got ideas?

That's what you get with Greg Williams. Heavy blitzing and giving up big plays. When the pressure doesn't arrive, you have WRs open deep that beat the coverage.

V3

Hall of Fame
My vote would be to get a FS, and by FS, I mean not another SS. I personally think we have one in Joyner but Fisher obviously disagrees. So yeah, I don't see anything changing back there.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's what you get with Greg Williams. Heavy blitzing and giving up big plays. When the pressure doesn't arrive, you have WRs open deep that beat the coverage.

Wouldn't that be a player problem then. Correct me if I'm wrong..which I may be. But shouldn't you be playing with the deep ball in mind when zero blitzing...so if what your saying is true...isn't it just guys getting beat straight up?

Alan

Legend
V3 the voice of reason:
My vote would be to get a FS, and by FS, I mean not another SS. I personally think we have one in Joyner but Fisher obviously disagrees. So yeah, I don't see anything changing back there.
Exactly. As long as it's combined with a scheme that takes advantage of that. What difference does giving up the long ball mean if their QB has a QBR in the 150s?

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Wouldn't that be a player problem then. Correct me if I'm wrong..which I may be. But shouldn't you be playing with the deep ball in mind when zero blitzing...so if what your saying is true...isn't it just guys getting beat straight up?

It really is a player problem. We brought in everyone to specialize in blitzing. Even the safeties are built to blitz instead of cover. They have the deep ball in mind but none of these players were brought in because of their coverage skills. They were brought here for being aggressive, heavy hitters.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
It really is a player problem. We brought in everyone to specialize in blitzing. Even the safeties are built to blitz instead of cover. They have the deep ball in mind but none of these players were brought in because of their coverage skills. They were brought here for being aggressive, heavy hitters.

While I like that approach logic would lend its self to the need of a shut down safety in such a system...someone who keeps ya safe in those situations so it doesn't happen again, and again, and again.

Me I'd like to see maybe more zone blitzing...like a COV 3 overload or COV 2 mid stunt...idk something other than the same insanity of big play after big play against the Zero.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In Williams system the idea is to pressure the QB so the WRs don't have time to get deep and the QB doesn't have time to make a deep throw. The Giants Oline dominated the Rams front 4 and their blitzes. Why? I don't know. I didn't think that the Giants Oline was as good as it looked today. Ditto for the Cards Oline. I know there were a lot of holds but that seems to be acceptable in the NFL today.

My best guess would be that Coughlin and Arians have both been around long enough to know what Gregg Williams is going to do on Defense and they know how to beat it. Williams was in the NFC East for several years going head to head with Coughlin.

61Woody

UDFA
Name
Jeff
Seems to me we would be better off rushing 4 after you discover the blitzes are not working, at least you would have more defenders to guard against the pass.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here's my best explanation I can give on the deep ball. It appeared to me that Joyner was in Bronco technique. Which is a seam to flat zone. In Bronco technique, he's supposed to carry the 2(slot WR) vertically and pass him off when threatened in the flats. Seemed like Joyner misread things and doubled the WR underneath instead of carrying Beckham Jr. down the field. I think Barron overreacted and made a bad decision jumping outside trying to compensate for Joyner thinking that McDonald could get there if he made a mistake.

So I'd say it's the fault of both players. Joyner should have trailed Beckham Jr. which would have allowed Barron to play over the top. But Barron should have played it safe anyways.

But I could be wrong here. I just gleaned that from our defensive setup and the replay.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Here's my best explanation I can give on the deep ball. It appeared to me that Joyner was in Bronco technique. Which is a seam to flat zone. In Bronco technique, he's supposed to carry the 2(slot WR) vertically and pass him off when threatened in the flats. Seemed like Joyner misread things and doubled the WR underneath instead of carrying Beckham Jr. down the field. I think Barron overreacted and made a bad decision jumping outside trying to compensate for Joyner thinking that McDonald could get there if he made a mistake.

So I'd say it's the fault of both players. Joyner should have trailed Beckham Jr. which would have allowed Barron to play over the top. But Barron should have played it safe anyways.

But I could be wrong here. I just gleaned that from our defensive setup and the replay.

So what your saying is another year in this system and more continuity with each other and the problem should solve it's self?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

And they never jam WR's at the LOS to redirect them or mess with timing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So what your saying is another year in this system and more continuity with each other and the problem should solve it's self?

Yes. And Tru not being hung over. Because that's the only way I can describe how bad he looked today.