Holy smokes, GRob....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill

How do you blame a batted ball on the LT? Come on man that is all on Keenum. Did you blame the other batted ball on our Guard?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Hate to see GRob get beat like that but Wes is a local kid and his mom was my buddy's roomy so if it has to happen!!!

fearsomefour

Legend
I thought he played a decent game .Saffold played poorly
This is what I saw as well.
Grob lost his feet a couple of times but held up pretty well yesterday. I have been hard on Grob this year but he was good yesterday.
I have been a supporter of Saffold as well but his struggles have surprised me. I would be willing to get both Brown and Wichmann on the field at the same time. Give Saffold some rotation.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
It seems over the last 6 years or so, any 1st round LT doesn't seem to pan out. There are a few (Matthew's so far) but overall more guards and RT's. Or maybe it's pretty even. Maybe it doesn't even matter.

I still would like to see GRob finish strong whether I continue to watch the games or not.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This is what I saw as well.
Grob lost his feet a couple of times but held up pretty well yesterday. I have been hard on Grob this year but he was good yesterday.
I have been a supporter of Saffold as well but his struggles have surprised me. I would be willing to get both Brown and Wichmann on the field at the same time. Give Saffold some rotation.

Good observation here.....Saffold has turned in a number of real bad games in his run blocking & it would seem that his pass blocking is trending downward too. Boudreau OL is & has been as a whole in Fail Mode since the season began. The only changes he has made is at the RG post where he has used both Brown & Wichmann as starters. But I will say that having Saffold next to Robinson has not been a good duo. Does seem to me that Robinson's best strung together good games came when Garrett Reynolds was starting next to Robinson.

I been suggesting for a long time now that its Jamon Browns time to get him settled in @ LEFT OG where he is at his best. Saffold would appear to have ZERO future here as a starting OG in a run first offense. If Fisher is not going to put the rookie Goff in to air it out & he is determined to push the current offensive scheme to the end then there is no need for a real bad run blocking left OG like Rodger Saffold in the line up, is there??? Fact is Saffold best position as he is currently is @ OT.

Fisher had next to nothing of OL talent coming in 2016 & will have a little more ability to get some help in here in 2017 but lets face it this team has very little ability to bring in talented help thru the draft until 2018. Things at this time have a dire look to them thanks to Fisher's made decisions. Even if he puts the rookie in this OL at it best is near the bottom of the 32 teams & can not assist the QB to succeed even in a small way.

Rams have Robinson for 1 & 1/2 seasons yet with much less talented Isaiah Battle & Pace Murphy behind him...looks to me Robinson will be the Rams starting OLT until 2018. Not a nice thought. But Saffold as a run blocking OG is turning out worse.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good observation here.....Saffold has turned in a number of real bad games in his run blocking & it would seem that his pass blocking is trending downward too. Boudreau OL is & has been as a whole in Fail Mode since the season began. The only changes he has made is at the RG post where he has used both Brown & Wichmann as starters. But I will say that having Saffold next to Robinson has not been a good duo. Does seem to me that Robinson's best strung together good games came when Garrett Reynolds was starting next to Robinson.

I been suggesting for a long time now that its Jamon Browns time to get him settled in @ LEFT OG where he is at his best. Saffold would appear to have ZERO future here as a starting OG in a run first offense. If Fisher is not going to put the rookie Goff in to air it out & he is determined to push the current offensive scheme to the end then there is no need for a real bad run blocking left OG like Rodger Saffold in the line up, is there??? Fact is Saffold best position as he is currently is @ OT.

Fisher had next to nothing of OL talent coming in 2016 & will have a little more ability to get some help in here in 2017 but lets face it this team has very little ability to bring in talented help thru the draft until 2018. Things at this time have a dire look to them thanks to Fisher's made decisions. Even if he puts the rookie in this OL at it best is near the bottom of the 32 teams & can not assist the QB to succeed even in a small way.

Rams have Robinson for 1 & 1/2 seasons yet with much less talented Isaiah Battle & Pace Murphy behind him...looks to me Robinson will be the Rams starting OLT until 2018. Not a nice thought. But Saffold as a run blocking OG is turning out worse.
This has been strange to me. Saffolds real strength used to be run blocking. Now he is 100% healthy and struggling. Seems to give up leverage a lot and has a hard to blocking angles. Very strange. Robinson/Saffold on that left side should be able to physically dominate and they just are not.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
should be able to physically dominate and they just are not.
To me this is the head-scratcher. When you watch our o-line it just doesn't lock up or stay engaged on anyone and gets absolutely zero push. It's not one guy, it's every guy almost every single play, and it makes no sense. These guys should be big & physical and they just are not. Clearly they have the size & strength, I think it has to come back to the scheme has them inside their heads. They are worried about moving to the right spot or thinking about making a call or what the right assignment should be instead of just pinning their ears back and getting nasty on someone.

The quality standard has just gotten so awful that bad blocks aren't even noticed, it's just normal now. It reminds me of that Kitchen Nightmares show, the Rams need to bring in an angry British guy (perhaps someone on this board?) to tell them everything they are doing is shit and those standards won't be tolerated, throw everything out and start from scratch with rule #1 -- block the crap out of somebody every play before worrying about anything else.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
This has been strange to me. Saffolds real strength used to be run blocking. Now he is 100% healthy and struggling. Seems to give up leverage a lot and has a hard to blocking angles. Very strange. Robinson/Saffold on that left side should be able to physically dominate and they just are not.

Two consecutive back to back shoulder injuries & two reconstructive shoulder surgeries would appear to have set Saffold back way....back more than anyone imagined. Yes Saffold did have some real good games @ starting OG back in 2013 but that's a lifetime ago before blowing out both shoulders. Now well into 2016 Saffold is a shell of his former self. If Saffold he is our best performing starting OL'er then that explains a ton here on what Fisher has assembled in his OL since 2012. Not a pretty site is it.:poop:

You would think that after 9 weeks of regular season that if this OL was going to start to get its act together we would see some nuggets or flashes of it:thinking:.....but I see nothing myself. I still think that PBS is the best scheme for the current starting OL cadre. What I see is a confused OL cadre. Fact is we also saw better OL play in 2015 with much of the same OL as we have now....go figure out that :dizzy:. The only difference really is Saffold is starting whereas in 2015 he only finished the first 4 games before injury.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I still think that PBS is the best scheme for the current starting OL cadre.

This is probably a big part of the problem, if not *the* problem. These guys are just not athletically suited for the current scheme, the cut blocking, etc. It makes me think that the offensive coaches are the types that are so enamored with their own scheme that they try to fit their players to the scheme instead of fitting the scheme to the players.

fearsomefour

Legend
This is probably a big part of the problem, if not *the* problem. These guys are just not athletically suited for the current scheme, the cut blocking, etc. It makes me think that the offensive coaches are the types that are so enamored with their own scheme that they try to fit their players to the scheme instead of fitting the scheme to the players.
Most coaches I have known are not great minds in their sport. They coach "their" technique or their O or D. They know it inside and out but they are not able to coach different things. This is why a guy like Wade Phillips (for example) is always going to coach his 3/4....that is what he coaches.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Most coaches I have known are not great minds in their sport. They coach "their" technique or their O or D. They know it inside and out but they are not able to coach different things. This is why a guy like Wade Phillips (for example) is always going to coach his 3/4....that is what he coaches.

You are probably right, but I consider that a case of an inflexible mind, particularly when they can't adjust their scheme to the strengths of the personnel on hand.

For a contrast, consider Gregg Williams, who has been nothing short of out-fking-standing in adjusting his defensive scheme to the players on hand. For that matter, the guy you mentioned, Phillips, has done a decent job of utilizing the available talent wherever he's been.

What I simply can't get is drafting a bunch of guys who are best suited for power blocking, just lining up, engaging the guy in front of them, and driving them off the line, and then expecting them to do something else entirely because "that's my scheme." It's like starting a jazz band and then going out and getting a drummer who has been nothing but a heavy metal drummer.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill

GR was blocking his guy outside like every LT he was not in keenums face at all im not sure what you were watching. keenum had a huge path to throw through if he takes one step forward.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
It's just one play but good lord that was a bad play. Just watch every o-lineman there.... did anyone do anything at all? Havenstein at least made contact with his guy for more than half a second but that's about it.

Kendrick got a good block

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I mean no offense by this - but I really don't believe that.

Unless maybe someone joined in 1999 and hadn't really been a Rams fan before that...
You have been around for all of two or three months and you know this board is/was like all the others. Got it.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
To me this is the head-scratcher. When you watch our o-line it just doesn't lock up or stay engaged on anyone and gets absolutely zero push. It's not one guy, it's every guy almost every single play, and it makes no sense. These guys should be big & physical and they just are not. Clearly they have the size & strength, I think it has to come back to the scheme has them inside their heads. They are worried about moving to the right spot or thinking about making a call or what the right assignment should be instead of just pinning their ears back and getting nasty on someone.

The quality standard has just gotten so awful that bad blocks aren't even noticed, it's just normal now. It reminds me of that Kitchen Nightmares show, the Rams need to bring in an angry British guy (perhaps someone on this board?) to tell them everything they are doing is crap and those standards won't be tolerated, throw everything out and start from scratch with rule #1 -- block the crap out of somebody every play before worrying about anything else.
Either they all suck or its coaching, one or the other. Time to figure it out and move on. All I know is the draft must be all OL again.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Either they all suck or its coaching, one or the other. Time to figure it out and move on. All I know is the draft must be all OL again.
Agree with the figure it out part, but the draft is not always the answer with OL. There's no one right recipe, successful lines can mix draft picks, undrafted, and free agents. Unfortunately it always seems the Rams draft picks all become Alex Barron & Jason Smith, and the free agents all become Scott Wells & Scott Wells.