Hindsight Draft: What do you do as Rams GM?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For those who are disappointed in not drafting Cleveland, I will say that I respect your opinion, but I was relieved. I was disgusted by his tape. His demeanor on the field was awful. He didn't display any mean streak, he didn't play to the whistle (much less through it), and he didn't look to finish guys. Yes, he's an impressive athlete, but he was doing the absolute bare minimum. I don't like to see that from an OL. He might well become a good LT. He's talented enough. But that demeanor was a massive red flag to me.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
For those who are disappointed in not drafting Cleveland, I will say that I respect your opinion, but I was relieved. I was disgusted by his tape. His demeanor on the field was awful. He didn't display any mean streak, he didn't play to the whistle (much less through it), and he didn't look to finish guys. Yes, he's an impressive athlete, but he was doing the absolute bare minimum. I don't like to see that from an OL. He might well become a good LT. He's talented enough. But that demeanor was a massive red flag to me.
I am one that wanted Cleveland with one of the #2s but that was based upon what I had read.

I did not study tape. Thanks for posting your observations. Don’t want to root against the guy but I hope you are proven correct.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Looking back....they did pretty damn good.
If they hit on Lewis in particular this draft will be special. If not it can still be very functional with one or two of these guys developing into plus starters.

I'm content with it for sure.

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
What I like is that among the first four picks there is no real project. No lets see if we can develop a George Everett or teach a Greg Robinson how to pass protect.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod
I was initially somewhat bewildered with our 2nd rd picks but have come to really like them. The only change I would make is Mims for Jefferson. He seemed like the obvious replacement for Cooks. Jefferson obviously fills a role in our O going forward in McVays eyes. I don't want to even think that he is a replacement for Kupp next year. I was screaming for Baun but am excited with what Lewis can bring. Burgess will fill NRC's role.

I would have taken Dye instead of Hopkins but understand that McSnead wanted weapons on O. The latter rounds, Anchrum aside, scream ST to me so I can live with it. Overall, I'm pretty happy with what the Rams did. Now, if we can just be assured that Training Camp will go ahead......

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
52 - Dobbins, instead of Akers

My Reason:

With these offensive guru HCs sometimes they can overthink things when it comes to picking players
I don’t know,
although my fanaticism for the Rams colors has me fully jelling with the idea of Akers and Hendo sharing carries in the backfield, in the back of my mind I’m thinking Trung Candiate.
I think these offensive guru types like Martz & Co / Snead have these spectacular visions in their heads of how they are goi g to attack exploit, etc, and want these ultimate “weapons” to compliment each other in their arsenal, but sometimes it’s smarter just to grab the best running back.
I think that’s definitely Dobbins.
And look at Baltimore waiting there and cleaning up two picks later. The Ravens did that the entire draft. They kept picking off the best players regardless and will be NFL Champs soon because of it.
Again, I had myself never envisioned Akins in Ram colors like I had Swift or Dobbins
My hope is just hope Akers isn’t on an ATC being chased by cops through regional park in a few years while Dobbins paves his way to the HOF or worse yet, run rampant against us in the Super Bowl.
Anyway,
Dobbins making huge brutal yards would have been a sight to see in Horns.

Willie Gay over Van Jefferson

My Reason:
I didn’t think going WR was really necessary to go with either of the two second rounders, I mean obviously many have and the Ram’s FO sure does. Look at all the UDFA’s brought in at the WR position. And I see everyone’s point now, we need WR the same way I was rooting for secondary help and am thrilled with the Burgess pick and like the Fuller pick as well.
I’d replace him with Willie Gay Jr.
Because i thought it would be awesome to hear a bunch of grown heterosexual men screaming “GO GAY! GO!!! WAY TO GET EM GAY!!!!
Plus his first name’s “Willie.”
But beyond the obvious attributes of his name, Gay is awesome.... oh and you already took Uche!

rams1fan

Pro Bowler
The guy I was glad to see come off the board was KJ Hamler. I will probably be wrong but he reminded me too much of Tavon Austin.

Ramzee

Rookie
Seems oddly familiar.....

I think I might have had a website that used to do this at one time. Might have been a dream.

Ramzee

Rookie
Good topic...

I find myself locked in with Van Jefferson now. He landed in the perfect spot with the Rams.

So, if I were to pick differently it might be Akers. I would love to find a RB later...

However... With the topic “”hindsight“, and Jefferson in place, I sort of see the Rams logic prioritizing RB. So, I’ll stick RB and Akers.

I contributed nothing so far. :D
I remember trusting Fisher on Isaiah Pead. Trusting the guys in charge can backfire. :)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember trusting Fisher on Isaiah Pead. Trusting the guys in charge can backfire. :)

fisher could never be trusted with offensive players. except for studs like gurley and goff.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
The second and third round picks I liked but was really hoping we'd take a OL or LB with the 4th rounder as I looked at it as our last chance to get a good one since we didn't pick between 136 and 199. I didn't really like the trade with the Texans either. I would've done different but obviously it wouldn't have been better. I wouldn't have taken a RB that soon because I think there were plenty of good RBs to be had in later rounds. But I im satisfied with who we got. It would appear McSneads plan all along was to draft a few targeted players that would make an impact early on and then load up with as many 'lesser quality' players as possible for competition and possibly develope them into starters like they did with Corey Littleton. Atleast I hope that was the plan otherwise im going to have some doubts about Snead and the Coaches because I don't feel much better if at all about the OL situation than I did a year ago though time will tell. I am curious if we tried to trade anyone during the draft however.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Sure you did. A vote of confidence in the picks our team made.

I'm no talent evaluator but I can say I like that our team drafts for scheme fit first and foremost (as it should).

I like our draft and hope and think a few years from now we may come to appreciate the plan and the execution of this draft.

I think the plan and execution of the draft were outstanding. Unlike say the Packers, the Rams had a clear strategy and followed it to get players who met their objectives. And their choices look really good to me.

After the Cooks trade the Rams had four picks in the top one hundred in a draft deep at several positions. The Rams chose to maximize those picks on impact players, not to trade down at least until a small move in the 4th round. This reflects their aggressive philosophy to get players with high upside. It also reflects a clear goal to make up for the high end talent that they lost in Gurley, Cooks, and Fowler. That seems to be precisely what they tried to do by going RB, WR, and DE.

As in the past Snead and McVay targeted players they really wanted, in particular with the top choices Akers, Jefferson, and Lewis. It is fairly easy to see what the Rams liked about them. These players seem to me to have really high upside. They will likely all be starters, and maybe quite a bit more. Critically, they are also ready to step up on the field much sooner rather than later. (There's a lot to be said for trying to win now. My friend who's a Packer fan is still in shock and disbelief at the Packers' choice of qb Love with Rodgers under contract for four more years, a team that went to the NFC championship, and a glaring need for help at WR.)

The top pick players also seem to meet specific objectives of fit with team need. For example, I expect Akers be a good match for our blocking scheme and Jefferson to be a good match for McVay's precise route running schemes and Goff's passing. They also seem to meet intangible aspects of the Rams' approach to character: stuff like smarts, determination, love of football, overcoming obstacles.

The Rams could have chosen different positions to fill or different players. That would have required a different assessment of team needs, such as our widespread ROD preference for o-line help, or of the skill set of available players. But I like what Snead and McVay came up with enough that I'm not willing to second guess them on either score at this point.

We'll see how the picks turn out, but I give McVay and Snead a lot of credit for the overall strategy and for a highly credible selection for players to meet it.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
I've been reading a lot and watching videos on the Ram's draft.

I was thinking the Rams needed to get help at LBer/Edge to complete the defensive makeover. At the same time, I wanted Claypool at WR and thought the Rams could go RB later but, not much. It turns out the Rams made the smart moves getting Akers, Jefferson, and Lewis which covered what I was looking for. I was thinking more inside LBer that was versatile like Brooks/Uche/Wilson/Baun but, Lewis can be versatile as an OLBer with a tremendous upside. Snead stated that the Rams got their first two targeted picks in Akers and Jefferson so it's hard to complain. Both players fit the McVay system and player type. Burgess was someone I wasn't familiar with but, appears to be another great fit with great versatility. It was interesting to hear Snead say that they hadn't targeted Hopkins but, they had a high grade on him and decided to make the pick. Considering Everett is in the last year of his contract it makes a lot of sense. I don't go deep into possible draft picks but, it looks like a good group of special team and ps candidates.

Ram65

Legend
Here's mine:
52. Josh Uche OLB Michigan
57. Van Jefferson WR Florida
84. Zack Moss HB Utah
104. Akeem Davis-Gaither ILB Appalachian State
136. Tyler Biadasz C Wisconsin
199. Josh Metellus S Michigan
234. Joe Bachie ILB Michigan State
248. Hunter Bryant TE Washington
250. J.R. Reed S Georgia

That looks like what I was thinking before the draft. I think I would lean toward the Rams draft now but, it is very interesting.

TexasRam

Legend
52 - Dobbins, instead of Akers

My Reason:

With these offensive guru HCs sometimes they can overthink things when it comes to picking players
I don’t know,
although my fanaticism for the Rams colors has me fully jelling with the idea of Akers and Hendo sharing carries in the backfield, in the back of my mind I’m thinking Trung Candiate.
I think these offensive guru types like Martz & Co / Snead have these spectacular visions in their heads of how they are goi g to attack exploit, etc, and want these ultimate “weapons” to compliment each other in their arsenal, but sometimes it’s smarter just to grab the best running back.
I think that’s definitely Dobbins.
And look at Baltimore waiting there and cleaning up two picks later. The Ravens did that the entire draft. They kept picking off the best players regardless and will be NFL Champs soon because of it.
Again, I had myself never envisioned Akins in Ram colors like I had Swift or Dobbins
My hope is just hope Akers isn’t on an ATC being chased by cops through regional park in a few years while Dobbins paves his way to the HOF or worse yet, run rampant against us in the Super Bowl.
Anyway,
Dobbins making huge brutal yards would have been a sight to see in Horns.

Willie Gay over Van Jefferson

My Reason:
I didn’t think going WR was really necessary to go with either of the two second rounders, I mean obviously many have and the Ram’s FO sure does. Look at all the UDFA’s brought in at the WR position. And I see everyone’s point now, we need WR the same way I was rooting for secondary help and am thrilled with the Burgess pick and like the Fuller pick as well.
I’d replace him with Willie Gay Jr.
Because i thought it would be awesome to hear a bunch of grown heterosexual men screaming “GO GAY! GO!!! WAY TO GET EM GAY!!!!
Plus his first name’s “Willie.”
But beyond the obvious attributes of his name, Gay is awesome.... oh and you already took Uche!

Agreed Dieter. I have seen many coaches overthink things. They get too cute as I like to say.

Sometimes they think their own Deuce don't stink. So they pander around with their creative deep thoughts and end up drafting some unknown or much lesser than the group consensus prospect. Pete Carroll does this a lot. Organizations like the Steelers and Ravens don't fart around like this too often.

You look like a Genius when you land these picks, but you like a dam clown when you were wrong.

The Consensus picks don't always work out but geez it sure looks like the Ravens owned pick after pick.

Snead and Mcvay are doing a whole lot of projections, Projection that Akers can produce better than he did in college behind a bad oline, projection that Jefferson can produce better numbers then at Florida, projection that Lewis can stay healthy and develop into a double digit sack guy (though he never did in college), projection that our whole Oline plays better.

The one good thing I will say though is we drafted sheme specific. That is usually a great thing to do. Akers looks like he can run the outide zone and the inside power game. Jefferson looks like the type of WR that matches our QB's strength as a timing anticipatory pocket passer, Lewis was pegged as probably a great fit as on OLB in a 3-4 etc.