Gurley not getting enough carries

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
We've lost the last three games by a total of 13 points. We're supposed to be a ground and pound team and yet, Gurley has averaged 13 carries per game. Meanwhile, Keenum has averaged FORTY SIX attempts per game.

What is the plan here? Is Fisher trying to show off Keenums laser rocket arm to the rest of the league? I figured the bye week would give them time to get the run game figured out. Gurley had that nice run from the wild cat and they NEVER ran it again.

Absolutely mind boggling when it comes to coaching and game planning with this team.

We aren't ground and pound and never have been under Fisher, that's a myth, but your point is on the money. Boras is out of whack right now. And he has a backup at QB, so I wonder what the fuck is going on. If he was trotting out Warner then maybe I could see the point but this is Keenum.

@jrry32 Gurely is getting enough carries???

12 this week, 15 v. the Giants, 14 v. the Lions. 41 carries in 3 very close games......I'm not down with that!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We aren't ground and pound and never have been under Fisher, that's a myth, but your point is on the money. Boras is out of whack right now. And he has a backup at QB, so I wonder what the freak is going on. If he was trotting out Warner then maybe I could see the point but this is Keenum.

@jrry32 Gurely is getting enough carries???

12 this week, 15 v. the Giants, 14 v. the Lions. 41 carries in 3 very close games......I'm not down with that!

Watching this game, we weren't moving the ball when we tried to stick to the ground. Gurley had that great 19 yard run when he got some daylight. Beyond that, it was mainly a lot of nothing. My one complaint was the Rams not running it at all after getting 1st and goal on the Kendricks dropped TD drive.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Watching this game, we weren't moving the ball when we tried to stick to the ground. Gurley had that great 19 yard run when he got some daylight. Beyond that, it was mainly a lot of nothing. My one complaint was the Rams not running it at all after getting 1st and goal on the Kendricks dropped TD drive.

That Kendricks drop was the game IMO. That's a 4-5 point deficit from his drop in a 3 point game.

Anyway, TG needs a bit more activity I think.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Ya lets just run,run, pass every time we have the ball. Ray malavasi style cool I miss all that stuff
Could pass, run, run or run, pass, run and even throw it to Gurley a few times like they did today for a change up. And maybe even keep him in the game for 5 or 6 plays in a row.

ram007

Starter
every defense have to prepare for gurley so let's play keep away from Gurley to keep opponents off balance. This is our "dear leader" playing 4 dimensional chess with opponents while they play checkers

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Maybe a little play action bootleg or a slant to Britt??? I just can't believe how ineffective their plan is in the redzone.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
While Gurley isn't getting the carries we were promised, there is good reason. For all the seasons we suffered with poor and/or injured offensive lines, we don't have much to show with GRob and our haul of linemen we have drafted recently. Out of the whole bunch, only Havenstein grades as a worthy investment, fortunately outpacing by far the guy he replaced. We were sold on the fact our OL would be built for a power run game, yet every single lineman excels at pass pro and crumbles in run support. And when I say excel at pass pro, what I really mean is barely average, while our rush support is a total failure. Game after game we watch opposing defenses penetrate our OL and hit Gurley behind the line of scrimmage. We get no push and we get no pull. Even Saffold is not his old self. And Barnes is way over his head in rush D. The real failure though, remains with the highly drafted GRob at LT, ... this experiment has just about run its course, hopefully. Of course, having an almost passable grade in pass pro isn't much of an asset when you start a QB who is really no better than a reserve player in this league. At least Britt, Quick & Kendricks have been a pleasant surprise this season, although maintaining consistency is still a concern for many of us.

The Rams, once again, let a game we should have won get away from us. A key interception, a key WR drop for an easy 6 points, 2 missed FG's, ... and several penalties. While it's easy to slam Fisher for any loss, todays game, imo, is on the OL, the penalties, Zuerlein, Keenum & Fisher, his OC and OL coach. We've lost 5 games now, besides the opening blowout against Frisco which was lost by the entire team, our defense lost a couple when our D-Line was riddled for a few games, and our O has been a season long embarrassing spectacle.

The scary aspect of how this game goes, at least for me, is that while I believe our team is quite close to being very good, until we get Goff going behind a much improved OL, our offense isn't going to perform a whole lot better. Teams know to stack the box as we have no OL and QB, and while Goff should, in time, bring some relief to our passing game which will help Gurley also get going, our OL is still a major project which needs tending in a big way this next off-season. If we were to replace Fisher now or right after the season, what becomes of our DC, or for that matter, the rest of the players on our team. New coaches tend to scrap former coaches & players to build a team to their own philosophy, ... and after years of Linehan, Spagnuolo & Fisher, are we ready to start all over again ?

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
Keenum didn't make the throws when he needed to it had nothing to do with the oline. our oline has given plenty of time for keenum to make plays. are they struggling in the run game ya but not as bad as people are saying. I think its more on the play design than the oline.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Probably need to make more first downs but I am disappointed in the number of carries and touches for Gurley.

ram007

Starter
I never expected to see or say this: Both in Giants and Panthers game, with game on line in late fourth quarter Gurely was on sidelines. They relied on Benny.

More than Goff starting, the decline of Gurley's game should be asked about in "our dear leader" press conferences.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Gurley is not who we thought he was.
Your right I thought he would be great even with horrible blocking! However he does need blocking and he is still doing OK with a low amount of carries. Don't listen to the idiots on TV I would love to see them stand next to todd gurley and ask him about his effort.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I never expected to see or say this: Both in Giants and Panthers game, with game on line in late fourth quarter Gurely was on sidelines. They relied on Benny.

4.6 YPC vs 3.1.

Personally, I have no issue with them calling Bam Bam's number. Fisher says BC is the 2 minute back but hasn't said why, from what I've read. Personally, I don't need a reason why, because BC has earned his role.

What is mind numbing to me is they handed TA the ball once. 7.9 career YPC and they won't give him the damn ball.

Why would they get rid of the plays that worked? TA touched the ball 3 times the entire game. It's unthinkable.

In fact, I would venture to guess that at least 1/3 of Gurley's issue is the Rams throwing TA runs in the trash heap.