Gregg Williams Press Confeence

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Jeff Fisher consulted with Goodell before hiring Gregg Williams

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ed-with-goodell-before-hiring-gregg-williams/

The Rams had to hire Gregg Williams as their defensive coordinator this offseason because his first stint with the team was cut short by a suspension from the league for Williams’ involvement in the Saints’ bounty scandal.

Williams was reinstated in time to serve as a defensive assistant with the Titans last season, but Rams coach Jeff Fisher still wanted to make sure with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell that the league was fine with Williams taking over the defense in St. Louis. At a press conference formally introducing Williams on Thursday, Fisher said he got more than that.

“I had a conversation with the commissioner who not only endorsed Gregg, but felt that [hiring] Gregg would be a good move,” Fisher said.

Fisher said he reached out to Goodell about hiring Williams in January when he decided he was “uncomfortable” with the direction that the Rams defense was heading in under Tim Walton. It has been 14 seasons since the two men have been on the same coaching staff, but they had success together in Tennessee and Williams said it felt good to be back with people “who think and believe the same way.”

If those thoughts and beliefs translate into a similar level of play on defense, the NFC West may be even more imposing than it was in the 2013 season

Last edited by a moderator:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I like it. This is going to be exciting watching this defense with a real top notch DC heading things up.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
My favorite points made in the presser:

-Fish admitted that he was concerned about the future of our D after doing evaluation in January.
-GW said the 2 most important things about D for him is TACKLING and LIMITING points. I think Jenks may become a more consistent tackler in 2014 :LOL:
-GW saying "Sant Louis" multiple times:ROFLMAO:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Very good listen, and I concur that it will be nice to have an actual good DC going into the season.

jap

Legend
I wanna see Jenks and Tru play the way that's most natural and effective for them. Screw this passive off coverage crap!

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Great first press conference. Very confident and knowledgeable. You can see why players would love playing for this guy. I can't fucking wait for camp now.

I'm VERY happy the Rams made this move. Also very happy for the players on our defense this move got made.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Wow, I was really impressed with how confident and well spoken this guy is. He immediately got my attention when he walked up to the podium. Very smart guy too. This defense is going to kick ass!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wanna see Jenks and Tru play the way that's most natural and effective for them. Screw this passive off coverage crap!
That's one of the things I'm really looking forward to. I think we are going to see all around better play out of our defense and Jenks is going to be back to that pain in the receiver's ass while returning to be a play maker.

I also loved the way he talked about the Superbowl and how Seattle played. He is going to get us back to smacking people around.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Very cool. Its really unfortunate that we weren't able to have GW here from the get go two years ago.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
First time I have watched a presser from GW. He comes across well, very confident. If he's mixing the Kool-Aid I'm drinking two cups.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
The responses are interesting, they wreak of fear. We're the bad guys in the NFC. If Seattle and SF are the good guys then I hope the Wisher turns into Darth Vador...

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
The responses are interesting, they wreak of fear. We're the bad guys in the NFC. If Seattle and SF are the good guys then I hope the Wisher turns into Darth Vador...

It's about time we became the bad guy and stopped being the the blonde knight in shining armor. Total 180 about to be complete from what they were during the Spags era. I rather be feared and hated while being dominant than be choir boys and lose.

We will crush the Rebel scum!!!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm glad that Fisher and GW get along because he sounds to me like a guy that would be difficult to deal with otherwise.
I will say this...based upon nothing but a sense of GW's character,i can see certain types of young football players who would run for the hills working under this guy. Accountability comes to mind. I'll bet he's a hard ass.

Then there's the other side of that coin...if players are willing to buy into his mgmt style,work hard and put their own ego's behind....then i can see how GW would be able to get the best out of a group of young players.

I would imagine that the reason that Fisher/Williams have had great success in the past is because their personalities and styles are different,but provide a synergy that gets results and allows players to flourish.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Can we just skip summer and get right back to some football!! I liked the signing the first time, the second time and now after seeing this I am excited to see what he can do with some of the talent on this team. It just keeps getting better

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
HERE COMES THE NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this guy. He's got my total confidence right out the gate. Small prediction here> We are going to the playoffs!!!!!!!!

:cool::D(y)

tonyl711

Starter
his son had the D playing ok, and im sure he was using his dads system, he just stepped on the wrong toes. but I would imagine that dad can run his system a lot better than his son did. I really like GW as DC, this hire alone could bring us an extra win or 2 IMO.

Last edited: