Gregg Williams New Dc?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
CF started five games & moved to the Nickle when applied. After that block of five games...who was the primary Nickle CornerBack? Rodney McLeod that did not change until week #17 when Brandon McGee got his chance to play some Nickle. That would let us know that Rod's time was not @ safety but playing in place of CB Finnegan position. When TJ McDonald went down with the broken leg & missed most of 7 games Rod was stuck with playing first next to Giordano then when Stewart was able to dress he came in. so most of the 2013 season you & I watched Stewart & Giordano playing a ton safety either with McDonald or with Rodney McLeod.

You & I both know that neither DS nor MG will return to the Rams in 2014 due to the fact they just do not bring anything to the safety unit. If Fisher can obtain a talented CB draftee prospect who will replace the degraded CF @ Nickle thus allowing Rod & TJ to play & start as a duo together @ Safety we could see a very different secondary in 2014.
IMHO neither Mcleod or McGe should be anywhere near corner based on last years play, they were both bad. If Stewart and Giordano are let go (more than likely) there is little at S outside of McDonald. I would like to see an FA activity directed at adding a couple of vet CBs who can challenge the starters (JJ) and provide improved depth. They dont have to be all-pro guys, but, solid vets who know how to play D and know their role. Guys that run 2-3m a year.
Williams Ds' have been pretty average stat wise.....but, of course the Rams D last year finished ok stat wise, so, those numbers can be misleading. Williams is a guy who certainly will have a better grasp of taking advantage of what the Rams have and trying to exploit an O weakness.

F. Mulder

Starter
IMHO neither Mcleod or McGe should be anywhere near corner based on last years play, they were both bad. If Stewart and Giordano are let go (more than likely) there is little at S outside of McDonald. I would like to see an FA activity directed at adding a couple of vet CBs who can challenge the starters (JJ) and provide improved depth. They dont have to be all-pro guys, but, solid vets who know how to play D and know their role. Guys that run 2-3m a year.
Williams Ds' have been pretty average stat wise.....but, of course the Rams D last year finished ok stat wise, so, those numbers can be misleading. Williams is a guy who certainly will have a better grasp of taking advantage of what the Rams have and trying to exploit an O weakness.
I hope they sign a mid-level Safety and draft one as well. I like Mcleod as a fill-in. Giordano is nothing to me. Stewart is gone.

fearsomefour

Legend
I hope they sign a mid-level Safety and draft one as well. I like Mcleod as a fill-in. Giordano is nothing to me. Stewart is gone.
I think there is a big dropoff after the top couple S in FA. It has been stated many times the Rams are not going to spend big FA money on a S....to me, that money is better spent (if it is spend in the d backfield at all) at securing CB depth. The mid level S to me are the same as Stewart or worse (Y. Bell)....might as well keep Stewart at a $1M a year.

F. Mulder

Starter
I think there is a big dropoff after the top couple S in FA. It has been stated many times the Rams are not going to spend big FA money on a S....to me, that money is better spent (if it is spend in the d backfield at all) at securing CB depth. The mid level S to me are the same as Stewart or worse (Y. Bell)....might as well keep Stewart at a $1M a year.
I'm not talking high-level like Bryd but someone with experience who can be the new Dahl/Gio. Stewart had his chance this year after being in the doghouse last year and he didn't perform due to injuries and performance so I think his ship has sailed. As far as top 2-4 Safeties in the Draft I think the 2nd/3rd round makes sense and you can find someone who can play and hopefully win the job, or at least develop into that second starting safety.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I have been sadly disappointed with Stewart to me Giordano played more consistently but is no better than a 4th safety reserve @ best...therefore I do not want Stewart back. I for one have seen enough of Matt Daniels during his cameo appearances early the last two seasons. To me Daniels has some talent & skill to start his issues is his health...last yr in college 2011 injured knee...then his rookie season he hurt his other knee IR'd. Then after an impressive TC & pre-season he was Fishers top reserve safety when he was broke his ankle as the gunner on ST's....Fisher will give Daniels his reps in TC & pre season just to see his hits cause he can bring them....if Daniels can stay healthy. Plus I would not write off Cody Davis yet either. Fisher went after UDFA Davis hard & spent some xtra cap cash for Davis.... something in the rangy fast 6-2 210 pound Davis caught Fishers eye.

I see a better chance for a 2nd day 2014 draft selection investment in a safety than any rare few cap salary pennies being spent.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have been sadly disappointed with Stewart to me Giordano played more consistently but is no better than a 4th safety reserve @ best...therefore I do not want Stewart back. I for one have seen enough of Matt Daniels during his cameo appearances early the last two seasons. To me Daniels has some talent & skill to start his issues is his health...last yr in college 2011 injured knee...then his rookie season he hurt his other knee IR'd. Then after an impressive TC & pre-season he was Fishers top reserve safety when he was broke his ankle as the gunner on ST's....Fisher will give Daniels his reps in TC & pre season just to see his hits cause he can bring them....if Daniels can stay healthy. Plus I would not write off Cody Davis yet either. Fisher went after UDFA Davis hard & spent some xtra cap cash for Davis.... something in the rangy fast 6-2 210 pound Davis caught Fishers eye.

I see a better chance for a 2nd day 2014 draft selection investment in a safety than any rare few cap salary pennies being spent.
Being 6' 2" and fast probably caught his eye. All that is another way of saying what I was trying to say, the Rams dont have experience at S. It will be a young group. It makes sense to me have a vet in the mix. Davis may have been around but hasnt been on the field. I would just assume draft one and sign a mid-level type FA. I dont see anyone that jumps out as an improvement over Stewart or MG that is affordable.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Being 6' 2" and fast probably caught his eye. All that is another way of saying what I was trying to say, the Rams dont have experience at S. It will be a young group. It makes sense to me have a vet in the mix. Davis may have been around but hasnt been on the field. I would just assume draft one and sign a mid-level type FA. I dont see anyone that jumps out as an improvement over Stewart or MG that is affordable.

Yep.:wink: very little EXPERIENCE fearsomefour.... so very true but this Ram team has been young now for two seasons running and Snead said the Rams will be even younger this season. But two of the youthful safeties TJ McDonald & Cody Davis are no longer rookies. Davis played in 12 games & TJ played in 10. Matt Daniels has been through two of Fishers training camps & pre seasons now entering his third season. Matt Daniels won a spot on the master 53 player roster both yrs so he not all that green fearsomefour.

The center :mad: of most of the safety discussions here is around Rodney McLeod being the starter. Rod McLeod will be entering his third season now & has played in 32 games & 16 starts under his belt Rod has shown the versatility & skills to play effectively the nickle corner-back after the Rams went through first through Trumaine as the Nickle & then Rod took over for Cortland after he was injured in the 7th game So Rod has started @ both safety posts & the Nickle basically a starters post too. I understand his short comings.......:cheese: he is short & small that will not win over many but he is bigger than Cortland Finnegan however he has not won over many ROD'mers but he can fill an important role. I would agree that Rod may be best as the first reserve for the safeties and the back up for the Nickle CB.

Bottom line here for me is ...I would prefer that Snead select in the 2014 draft a starting caliber CB to replace Cortland Finnegan ! Then if things go right & a fine nice sized safety fails to us grab him. I sure would not reach or target a safety with the first three selections though.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I'm so looking forward to watching our D more next year, especially our division games! I'd love to see him rip Caperdick and "BeastModes" head off