Gregg Williams is Done in the NFL (Audio)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
By the way for any of y'all at work... Definitely NSFW

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Sounds to me like just about every defensive coach I've ever heard.

Who is leaking this stuff, and why, that's what I'd like to know.

PS. Okay, I think I know why. I just found the original clip (12 min audio) on the following independent filmmaker's website (USOF)...here's a clip from a blog post about former players and their disabling injuries:

It’s a system so flawed that the NFL was called on the carpet in front of congress in 2009. At the time congresswoman Linda Sanchez (interviewed in the USOF) spoke of the NFL being like the tobacco industry, with absolutely no moral compass. Who is responsible for taking care of these men, she wondered.

http://theusof.com/2012/04/tru-dat-gregg-williams-saints-audio-bountygate-pay-for-pain/

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
interference said:

PS. Just found the original clip (12 min audio) on the following independent filmmaker's website...here's a clip from a blog post:

It’s a system so flawed that the NFL was called on the carpet in front of congress in 2009. At the time congresswoman Linda Sanchez (interviewed in the USOF) spoke of the NFL being like the tobacco industry, with absolutely no moral compass. Who is responsible for taking care of these men, she wondered.

http://theusof.com/2012/04/tru-dat-gregg-williams-saints-audio-bountygate-pay-for-pain/

Really? Your defensive coaches told you to go after the head, ankles, and knees? Twist ankles in the pile? Blow out a guys ACL? And put money on the line to try and ensure those things happen?

You have had some twisted MFs as defensive coaches.

There's a difference between a coach telling players to hit the opponent so hard that they cant (fill in the blank). Or telling players to knock out an opponent. Deliberately targeting areas of the body for injury is different.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
libertadrocks said:
interference said:

PS. Just found the original clip (12 min audio) on the following independent filmmaker's website...here's a clip from a blog post:

Really? Your defensive coaches told you to go after the head, ankles, and knees? Twist ankles in the pile? Blow out a guys ACL? And put money on the line to try and ensure those things happen?

There's a difference between a coach telling players to hit the opponent so hard that they cant (fill in the blank). Or telling players to knock out an opponent. Deliberately targeting areas of the body for injury is different.

Yeah, I think that is where the line is. I know I've been told to " Tear his head off! Rip his limbs off!" but those are statements of passion to get a team fired up, to get a team to give their all. But to say, "aim at that bad leg and see if we can rip an ACL" could be construed as something totally different. Intent is key here and I hope this doesn't lead to coaches having to be PC in the locker room.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Time to move on.

I don't see how the commissioner can let Williams come back and keep his credibility on this issue. I know Wiiliams isn't the only coach to run his D like this, but he's the only one doing it on tape.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah.........

Tell you what. I can't imagine Laurinaitis and Long buying into that mentality. And thankfully I can have this discussion here among this membership base. I don't need some yahoo jumping in the middle and saying, "THAT'S FOOTBALL! FOOTBALL ISN'T FOR PUSSIES!" or some other ridiculous shit. You simply don't tell players to go for outside ACL's, keeping hitting heads, or turning ankles over in a pile. There is no integrity in that. None. You wanna beat the best, then BE the best. That's all there is to it.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Ramhusker said:
Yeah, I think that is where the line is. I know I've been told to " Tear his head off! Rip his limbs off!" but those are statements of passion to get a team fired up, to get a team to give their all. But to say, "aim at that bad leg and see if we can rip an ACL" could be construed as something totally different. Intent is key here and I hope this doesn't lead to coaches having to be PC in the locker room.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... All the the head crap, I don't think he literally meant hit the head, I think he was saying to mess with his mind, make him scared.. But I could be wrong there..

I didn't think it was bad until he mentioned the concussion and targeting an ACL... That's where he crosses the line in my opinion, telling them to be tough and knock the shit out of guys doesn't bother me. Telling them "Oh he had a concussion go hit his head, and he has an ACL probably, target that." is what bothers me and crosses the line in my book.

If he literally meant to target the head and try to give a concussion, then I don't like that either, but if he was saying target the head as in make them scared, I was told that in football and hockey... Make them think twice about coming into your zone... But by giving them a big hit, not a dirty hit trying to injure them.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
libertadrocks said:

Okay, I'll listen again, but I either didn't hear those things or didn't hear it the same way you did.

I will say this, however, now that we have a San Francisco filmmaker involved, who has access to this kind of material and is leaking it, you can say goodbye to the NFL as we've known it. While the NFL has done a horrible job taking care of former players with disabling injuries, this is going to be used to fan the flames of change, and the NFL will ultimately come under Congressional pressures to "soften" the game considerably.

Mark my words, this is way bigger than Gregg Williams.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
As a result of his actions GW received an indefinite suspension.

He's not appealing his suspension like his superiors are today.

He knows what he has to do in order to be reinstated.

Nothing new with this audio as far as I can tell. He's been convicted AND sentenced ... time to move forward.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Selassie I said:
As a result of his actions GW received an indefinite suspension.

He's not appealing his suspension like his superiors are today.

He knows what he has to do in order to be reinstated.

Nothing new with this audio as far as I can tell. He's been convicted AND sentenced ... time to move forward.

What's new is the confirmation he did more than just run a pay for performance system, he actually told his players to injure others. He was also completely unapologetic about it.

This material was not part of the 50,000 page NFL investigation. This evidence id damning against Williams. I dont see anyway the league could allow him to coach in the NFL again considering their stance on player safety. This will trigger the NFL death penalty on Williams.

We should move forward and either begin the search for a new DC or appoint one. Its time to give up the hope that Williams will be back next year.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Im really starting to get sick of this. How can I be ok with Goodell going punishing the Saints organization, when the NFL neglected other situations and swept them under the rug. Why didnt the Chargers get punished for leaving Kris Dielman IN THE GAME when theres clear video of him on the field and it looked like he shouldnt have been. Hes now retired. What about the Browns game when Colt McCoy stayed in the game? The NFL is picking one issue, one team, and theres definitely extra motivation fueling them(concussion lawsuit). I know they are taking new steps with handling concussions, and player safety but it shouldnt just be focused on this Saints issue. Why stop there?

Oh and check out this interview from the Dan Patrick Show today:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxm5R72hp9E[/youtube]

EDITED: Pro-Tip: Click the "share" button under YouTube videos, and copy that code into the YouTube tags here.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Its also stories like these that make me enjoy Twitter so much. You get all this INSTANT reaction (sometimes can be a bad thing) and plenty of different perspectives on this, especially by NFL players.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
libertadrocks ,

I don't believe anyone has been trying to sell a theory that the saint coaching staff was JUST running a pay for performance system. It's always been MUCH more than that. As a result ,,, unprecedented severe penalties were delivered .

The audio simply demonstrates the unacceptable actions that we have already been made aware of. While the tape may deliver the message in a more direct manner ,,, I certainly don't see any NEW information. Maybe further confirmation , but nothing new is presented that now requires more punishment.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think anyone who has played or been involved with football for a long time has heard things like this, as disturbing as they are. Some coaches come out and say it. Some coaches hint at it. And there are coaches who don't go there at all.

Do you think that he went above and beyond, because he knew he was being recorded? Could have been playing to the media.

In any case, he was told to stop, should have, lied about it, and is now suspended indefinitely. I know that he's not the only coach who did this, and I'm not saying this to defend a Rams coach.

Sweep the leg....hell, it even happened in Karate Kid.
http://www.hark.com/clips/blnmvybwzd-sweep-the-leg

John-Kreese.jpg

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I think right now that we're witness to far too many agendas to really understand what's going on behind the media. For example, we have Vegas oddsmakers, class action injury lawyers, former injured players, NFL owners, politicians, filmmakers, and NFL personnel with vendettas. I'm simply not willing to concede that this is all about a few people who setup bounties and then lied about it to the Commish. Personally, I'm keeping my mind open, and refuse to let the media set a hook in my nose.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re:

interference said:
I think right now that we're witness to far too many agendas to really understand what's going on behind the media. For example, we have Vegas oddsmakers, class action injury lawyers, former injured players, NFL owners, politicians, filmmakers, and NFL personnel with vendettas. I'm simply not willing to concede that this is all about a few people who setup bounties and then lied about it to the Commish. Personally, I'm keeping my mind open, and refuse to let the media set a hook in my nose.
I think that's really all it amounts to. The rest is sensationalism, hyperbole and open-forum discussion.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
bluecoconuts said:
Ramhusker said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking... All the the head crap, I don't think he literally meant hit the head, I think he was saying to mess with his mind, make him scared.. But I could be wrong there..

I didn't think it was bad until he mentioned the concussion and targeting an ACL... That's where he crosses the line in my opinion, telling them to be tough and knock the shit out of guys doesn't bother me. Telling them "Oh he had a concussion go hit his head, and he has an ACL probably, target that." is what bothers me and crosses the line in my book.

If he literally meant to target the head and try to give a concussion, then I don't like that either, but if he was saying target the head as in make them scared, I was told that in football and hockey... Make them think twice about coming into your zone... But by giving them a big hit, not a dirty hit trying to injure them.

That's where I fall on it too. All the initial take out the head stuff seemed to be saying, "control the head and you control the player". When he went into the ACL and concussion stuff, he crossed a line I frankly don't see him coming back across. With the audio going public, I just can't see the NFL's PR machine letting him back in.

Although I do still believe that Williams is not alone in this. Someone has to take the fall and Williams made himself an easy target with his arrogance.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Just tried to listen to the FULL 12 minute audio of Gregg Williams (uncut & unedited version), and this is what I found...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19899434/Willia ... io_All.m4a

publinks.png

Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Hopefully, it will get posted elsewhere. Gotta listen to that to get perspective on context of what Gregg was saying, as right now I don't know how that 3min audio was edited, especially important given what Duke Naiphon said about the audio on the Dan Patrick show (audio posted earlier in thread).

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:
That's where I fall on it too. All the initial take out the head stuff seemed to be saying, "control the head and you control the player". When he went into the ACL and concussion stuff, he crossed a line I frankly don't see him coming back across. With the audio going public, I just can't see the NFL's PR machine letting him back in.

Although I do still believe that Williams is not alone in this. Someone has to take the fall and Williams made himself an easy target with his arrogance.

Im sentiment exactly

@Selassie: I think there were always rumors that the bounty system use in NOLA was more than a simple pay for performance, but Im not sure the NFL ever had solid evidence. All the players represented it as a pay for performance scheme and the staff wasnt going to comment either way. This is it.