Goff's interception

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Yeah, the interceptions don't bother me now that I know they can drive the field on the following possession and that the defense doesn't typically allow an opposing offense to capitalize on a turnover. Pick 6's you can do nothing about, but I'm still feeling a little more confident about our ability to score. Plus Goff doesn't seem to be careless with his passes. I think he tends to overthrow on sideline passes because he doesn't want to *under*-throw and risk an interception.
Our offense has yet to throw a pick six or give a fumble up for a touchdown. Which is a big turnaround from last year.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
While I agree with taking the blame MOST OF THE TIME is a admirable trait, but not ALL OF THE TIME. Sometimes you have to put the blame where it belongs. Peer pressure is a great motivator, to do otherwise is not being completely honest. Sometimes you take the blame publicly and then sit down with the guilty party and explain things privately. I'm sure McVay already knows this. My point being it's not always healthy to let someone slide by taking all the blame.
Nobody is letting things slide on this team. And other than making us as fans feel good, what good does it do to call out a ref publicly. Could make an enemy. Not smart.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
That is another thing I’ve noticed. Thanks for adding that.

It’s a fine line between aggression and forcing a throw. All QB’s force one occasionally trying to make a play... but Goff seems very calculated as you say.
I think this is the reason for his below avg completion %, and I have no issue with that either. I would rather he throw away 5 balls per game rather than try to hero throw a few and get picked. McVay said the biggest factor in winning, other than pts, is turnovers. You can bet he preaches that to Goff alllll day.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
While I agree with taking the blame MOST OF THE TIME is a admirable trait, but not ALL OF THE TIME. Sometimes you have to put the blame where it belongs. Peer pressure is a great motivator, to do otherwise is not being completely honest. Sometimes you take the blame publicly and then sit down with the guilty party and explain things privately. I'm sure McVay already knows this. My point being it's not always healthy to let someone slide by taking all the blame.
What is done and aid on public is different then what is done and said kn private blame may be cast where it belongs but public is not the place to do it

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
You gotta keep in mind that Goff threw before the defender ran into Gurley. I don't think the plan was for Gurley to pick the defender. As McVay said, it was a simple slant-flat combination. Goff's read was that Gurley's defender wasn't in position to stop the slant. He was right. Unfortunately, Everett's defender was in position to prevent Gurley from getting to the slant. Refs blew the call.

I like the call, though. You get the ball in Gurley's hand on that slant, and all he has to do is shake one tackle to get the TD.

@PaRam24 why the chill rating? This is a well thought out accurate post calmly stated.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If Goff was throwing the ball to Gurley, then clearly Gurley wasn't supposed to pick on the play. PI, defense, IMO.

Ellard80

Legend

Here is why I like McVay: He knows how to design and teach an offense - the difference between last year and this year is the largest reason we are 5-2...

He seems like a good dude.. but taking the blame, not taking the blame... I love you guys but its just a bunch of coach speak... and people on here dumping lavish praise on really a bunch of nothing.

I've seen a lot of guy losing and taking the blame... no one was in glorious love with what they were saying...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think he tends to overthrow on sideline passes because he doesn't want to *under*-throw and risk an interception.

I've been watching re-runs of our games over the weekend and I'm with you on the sideline passes - he does seem to over-cook these throws, but it seems to be by design, the growth of the guy has been immense this season, I have faith in the Rams O this season and I haven't felt this way for a very long time.

We're damn good on all phases at the moment