Goff's interception

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
When Goff was interviewed after the game and was asked about the interception, his answer was, that he made a stupid mistake. He mentioned nothing about the pass interference. I thought, man this guy never blames anybody for anything, not even the refs. Yesterday I re watched the game. When I saw that play I noticed that Everett was crossing with Gurley and that he was wide open by the out of bounds because Gurley ran into or was ran into by Everett's man. It could have been the plan that Gurley was supposed to pick Everett's man or at least an option and Goff just made the wrong decision. I only bring this up not to bag on Goff, cause anybody who has seen my post knows I am a Goff backer, I bring it up to see what others think on that play. Watch it again and see what you think. I know football as a fan over the last 50+ years. I never played. I just wondering if someone of you who has better knowledge play schemes, thinks that is possible. Plus I wanted to point out how Goff never makes excuses. I love that.

Last edited:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
When Goff was interviewed after the game and was asked about the interception, his answer was, that he made a stupid mistake. He mentioned nothing about the pass interference. I thought, man this guy never blames anybody for anything, not even the refs. Yesterday I re watched the game. When I saw that play I noticed that Everett was crossing with Gurley and that he was wide open by the out of bounds because Gurley ran into or was ran into by Everett's man. It could have been the plan that Gurley was supposed to pick Everett's man or at least an option and Goff just made the wrong decision. I only bring this up not to bag on Goff, cause anybody who has seen my post knows I am a Goff backer, I bring it up to see what others think on that play. Watch it again and see what you think. I know football as a fan over the last 50+ years. I never played. I just wondering if someone of you who has better knowledge play schemes, thinks that is possible. Plus I wanted to point out how Goff never makes excuses. I love that.

If you watch the collision of gurly and defense it's clear defensive I've player had the angle and momentum. Clear PI on the defense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You gotta keep in mind that Goff threw before the defender ran into Gurley. I don't think the plan was for Gurley to pick the defender. As McVay said, it was a simple slant-flat combination. Goff's read was that Gurley's defender wasn't in position to stop the slant. He was right. Unfortunately, Everett's defender was in position to prevent Gurley from getting to the slant. Refs blew the call.

I like the call, though. You get the ball in Gurley's hand on that slant, and all he has to do is shake one tackle to get the TD.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Regardless of where Goff should have thrown it, he threw it to Gurley and Gurley was interfered with.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I too saw everett wide open while watching the replay live, but gurley was the 1st read and like others said he had his guy beat and had their been no PI its a big gain

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Both Sean and Jared called themselves out on that play. Expect that going forward...McVay won’t tolerate blame on refs, teammates, coaches, et al. Blame yourself for EVERY failure and praise ANYONE ELSE when all goes well. It’s a simple but uncommon practice and a road far less traveled by most.

When Sean was interviewed by Eisen, he took ALL THE BLAME for timeouts as a magnet when Rich wanted him to “beat his chest.” This is a formula. Only criticize yourself when something goes wrong and credit everyone else if it goes well. That’s the standard and McVay wi stick to it.

TexasRam

Legend
Both Sean and Jared called themselves out on that play. Expect that going forward...McVay won’t tolerate blame on refs, teammates, coaches, et al. Blame yourself for EVERY failure and praise ANYONE ELSE when all goes well. It’s a simple but uncommon practice and a road far less traveled by most.

When Sean was interviewed by Eisen, he took ALL THE BLAME for timeouts as a magnet when Rich wanted him to “beat his chest.” This is a formula. Only criticize yourself when something goes wrong and credit everyone else if it goes well. That’s the standard and McVay wi stick to it.

Agreed. It’s a rare trait when someone today, especially his age always assumes responsibility.

I’ve said it before, but his greatest trait is humility. Like when someone tried to trap him by saying Martz said “who the hell is Sean Mcvay”. Sean responded, (paraphrase) “Martz is right. I haven’t accomplished anything yet. Hopefully we can accomplish something here so I can show I was worthy of the trust this great organization has put in me”.

It will be interesting to see how Sean responds when the chips are really down and they go through a big losing streak.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Agreed. It’s a rare trait when someone today, especially his age always assumes responsibility.

I’ve said it before, but his greatest trait is humility. .

Both you and @leoram are right on point about McVay & Goff, they both take responsibility right on them, now they might blame the Refs, but I sure will. With all the ticky tack BS that gets called, is obvious one doesn't. Amazing, but in the end with the Rams winning you forget about that call, but Officials need to be better and get things right.

Again Goff and McVay showcasing doing the right thing and it is refreshing as both men prove they are far beyond their years.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Leaders take the blame. That’s how it works. The standards are set high and McVay will not point fingers even though the refs miss the P.I.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry

I’ve said it before, but his greatest trait is humility. Like when someone tried to trap him by saying Martz said “who the hell is Sean Mcvay”. Sean responded, (paraphrase) “Martz is right. I haven’t accomplished anything yet. Hopefully we can accomplish something here so I can show I was worthy of the trust this great organization has put in me”.

It will be interesting to see how Sean responds when the chips are really down and they go through a big losing streak.
Have the Patriots went on this losing streak you speak of? I rest my case, we will sustain this success bank on it!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Dec-10 (Philadelphia) could be the start of many Goff vs Wentz battles for years to come. Something very special could be brewing. How cool is that? Both guys look legit.

While we’re forever stuck comparing these two, instead of trying to prop up Goff by shooting down Wentz I’ll just say... I am REALLY loving what I’m seeing from Jared.

While I am sure things haven’t slowed down completely, watching Goff this season, he’s night and day working his progressions. I’m no QB evaluator, but for me that’s the single biggest thing I look for. How quickly can they read as things unfold?

You can’t teach it.

Goff has it.

It feels so good to sit back and watch him develop.

I think the biggest challenge for Rams fans will be to show a little confidence themselves when he throws a few INT’s. Goff is still young and learning.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I think the biggest challenge for Rams fans will be to show a little confidence themselves when he throws a few INT’s. Goff is still young and learning.
Yeah, the interceptions don't bother me now that I know they can drive the field on the following possession and that the defense doesn't typically allow an opposing offense to capitalize on a turnover. Pick 6's you can do nothing about, but I'm still feeling a little more confident about our ability to score. Plus Goff doesn't seem to be careless with his passes. I think he tends to overthrow on sideline passes because he doesn't want to *under*-throw and risk an interception.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Goff doesn't seem to be careless with his passes. I think he tends to overthrow on sideline passes because he doesn't want to *under*-throw and risk an interception.

That is another thing I’ve noticed. Thanks for adding that.

It’s a fine line between aggression and forcing a throw. All QB’s force one occasionally trying to make a play... but Goff seems very calculated as you say.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
PI on Gurley that should have been called.

This ^^^

They literally ran a pick play on Gurley and stopped him dead in his tracks giving the other defender and easy INT. They actually game planned for the play.

Last edited:

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay, we all think it was a PI. If the defender knocked him down before the pass is thrown, because it was inside the 5 yards, is it still a PI?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Leaders take the blame. That’s how it works. The standards are set high and McVay will not point fingers even though the refs miss the P.I.

Mediocre Head Coaches walk away from adversity, great ones embrace it.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
While I agree with taking the blame MOST OF THE TIME is a admirable trait, but not ALL OF THE TIME. Sometimes you have to put the blame where it belongs. Peer pressure is a great motivator, to do otherwise is not being completely honest. Sometimes you take the blame publicly and then sit down with the guilty party and explain things privately. I'm sure McVay already knows this. My point being it's not always healthy to let someone slide by taking all the blame.