Goff's Duck balls?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I get nervous every time Goff tossed up those slow floating, duck balls. Even though it's not intercepted yet, one of these days the interceptions will come in bunches. McVay needs to tell him to set his feet, step-in and throw those pretty spirals a la Aaron Rodgers or Carson Wentz. Otherwise, Goff's interceptions will drop like quarters to opposing CBs.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Jeff George threw beautiful rockets as did Tony Banks.
Goff can make all the throws.
Anticipation, reading, touch....then arm strength....then things like how pretty the passes are.

I've watched a lot of football in the past 50 plus years...Jeff George had one of the strongest arms I can remember..Unfortunately, he had very, very little living brain tissue...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Peyton Manning struggled with spirals, especially in his time with Denver. As long as it is accurate.

@Da-Rock you are right about Goff's deep ball though. Lately it has seemed to go from a strength to a weakness in his game.

About the time we played two of the best pass defenses in the NFL in Seattle and Jax. Just saying. ;)

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jeff George threw beautiful rockets as did Tony Banks.
Goff can make all the throws.
Anticipation, reading, touch....then arm strength....then things like how pretty the passes are.

Don't forget Mike Vick. The balls he could throw were beautiful. Unfortunately half the time those beautiful balls ended up on the ground in the middle of nowhere.

The qb's brain and accuracy is infinitely more important that what their throws look like.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was referring to the long balls that were ducks and missed by 5 yards. The primary point I had was that he seems to throw more ducks in the last 3 than before and even on the ones that were caught, the ball was underthrown.

When Goff throws spirals, they seem to be strikes right were he wants them. Maybe it is his feet not getting into position. I know he has a slow setup to throw and doesn't chuck it like Marino....(Never liked his or Rivers' throws)

fearsomefour

Legend
Don't forget Mike Vick. The balls he could throw were beautiful. Unfortunately half the time those beautiful balls ended up on the ground in the middle of nowhere.

The qb's brain and accuracy is infinitely more important that what their throws look like.

Yeah, Vick was amazing.
It would look just totally effortless with that guy. Just a little flick and beautiful passes.....like you said, he lacked some other things.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was referring to the long balls that were ducks and missed by 5 yards. The primary point I had was that he seems to throw more ducks in the last 3 than before and even on the ones that were caught, the ball was underthrown.

When Goff throws spirals, they seem to be strikes right were he wants them. Maybe it is his feet not getting into position. I know he has a slow setup to throw and doesn't chuck it like Marino....(Never liked his or Rivers' throws)

I'm not really seeing long balls that are ducks. I'm seeing long balls that are missing, but that's the nature of the deep ball. It's hard to complete. Goff and Watkins always seem to be a few inches off.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
What is up with his arm and spiral? I keep seeing him throw ducks out there. In the last 3 games his long ball has been terrible.

So far I am happy with his progression from last year, but please, someone work on his spiral. :)

Goff isnt the only QB to be accurate yet throw some ducks. Goff throws a lot more spirals than Warner ever threw.

Ram65

Legend

I was looking for the ducks and didn't see the long passes as ducks---i.e. floaters/wobblers like a wounded duck. The two to Sammy were just a bit off. They had nice velocity and spin. He could have put a little more air underneath them. He threw a number of passes with great zip with accuracy. Didn't see many ducks.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Peyton Manning never threw a perfect spiral consistently.

I think that's crazy talk. Peyton threw freaking lasers all around the field (disabled old version not included).

Kurt Warner definitely made a career of throwing accurate ducks. Goff, his ducks sometimes seem to get lost in flight. But I think it says a lot about our WR that they've been catching these ducks so well!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
100% grip issue, and I believe this will get sorted out within 2 offseasons at 3DQB.

100%?

I don't think so. More than just grip can affect a spiral. Release has a lot to do with it, especially wrist angle on release. It should be collectable, if it actually is a problem, but it may not be wise to try to tweak mechanics mid season.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
ill never understand why every NFL qb doesnt throw a spiral like 90% of the time. but it seems thats just how it is

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ill never understand why every NFL qb doesnt throw a spiral like 90% of the time. but it seems thats just how it is
They should start using these.
I'll throw a 70 yard spiral rope with it.
41sqSkzRr8L._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've watched a lot of football in the past 50 plus years...Jeff George had one of the strongest arms I can remember..Unfortunately, he had very, very little living brain tissue...

He had a cannon for sure and it's hard to say if it was him or Randall Cunningham that could throw the furthest. IMO those are the two guys in the conversation.