Goff's Duck balls?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
What is up with his arm and spiral? I keep seeing him throw ducks out there. In the last 3 games his long ball has been terrible.

So far I am happy with his progression from last year, but please, someone work on his spiral. :)

Last edited:

A55VA6

Legend
Goff has always thrown a weird ball. Sometimes it's a spiral, sometimes it's wobbly as fuck. haha. As lon as it works I guess.

rdw

Pro Bowler
angry-duck-hp.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Maybe he's trying to get AFLAC to give him an endorsement deal.

@OldSchool you are dead on, but man Warner dropped the biscuit in the basket so well. Goff can too but he can't throw it as far as Warner could. At least not yet, he's still going to grow and add muscle since he's only 22 and has access to the training and diet to do just that.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Peyton Manning struggled with spirals, especially in his time with Denver. As long as it is accurate.

@Da-Rock you are right about Goff's deep ball though. Lately it has seemed to go from a strength to a weakness in his game.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I never thought Warner was that bad....yes, not a spiral, but they floated instead of spiraled. Goff goes from a beautiful tight spiral to a floppy duck with full wings.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What is up with his arm and spiral?
Danger Will Robinson!...you are treading in sticky territory....

Hmmm...what's up with it? Best guess....grip strength....hand size...hand placement....I think he has good arm velocity.

As long as it gets there....we can worry about the semantics later...

The wobble has all kinds of physics stuff....like slowing the ball down...drag....where's my nuclear physicist? Where's he at?????

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe he's trying to get AFLAC to give him an endorsement deal.

@OldSchool you are dead on, but man Warner dropped the biscuit in the basket so well. Goff can too but he can't throw it as far as Warner could. At least not yet, he's still going to grow and add muscle since he's only 22 and has access to the training and diet to do just that.
Yeah one thing people forget is Warner was 28 in the 99 season and had a lot of experience that Goff at 22 just doesn't have yet. Imo give him time he'll be fine.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LACHAMP46 said:
The wobble has all kinds of physics stuff....like slowing the ball down...drag....where's my nuclear physicist? Where's he at?????
He's eating breakfast with the demoted Greg Robinson at the Hard Luck Cafe in Detroit?

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Not really concerned about those "lame duck throws". Sometimes you gotta throw hard to make it difficult for defenders to pick off; sometimes you gotta throw a wobbly ball for your receivers to easily catch it. It's all circumstantial

Scirca

Rookie
100% grip issue, and I believe this will get sorted out within 2 offseasons at 3DQB.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah, this came up in another thread. His accuracy has seemed spotty this season, seems to have regressed a bit. I'm sure some of his mechanics may be regressing slightly, probably hard to keep them perfect as a season wears on unless you're a vet who's practiced it time and time again (see Blake Bortles as an example of someone who improved mechanics but did not keep it up).

Also, I think he's starting to see a lot of different looks from defenses now, things he hasn't seen before, the newness (Jacksonville supposedly was playing more zone this game than what they usually play) may cause him some hesitation which then screws up his mechanics.

I think some of his low throws could be do to this too.

It's worriesome only that he has to have the will and help to work on it and not let it become habit.

And before the pitchforks come out... this seems perfectly normal for a "rookie" QB. Just want to see him make progression on this piece over time.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Maybe he should wear a glove.

I don't mind the ducks tbh. Ball on target is all I care about. How it gets there not so much.

Curt760

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Curt760
Maybe it's me and my old eyes but it looks like when he throws the ball hard it's a tighter spiral. I think it's all in the legs. Strong arm QBs sometimes don't step into passes because they don't have to. As long as our receivers can catch them I don't care.

fearsomefour

Legend
Jeff George threw beautiful rockets as did Tony Banks.
Goff can make all the throws.
Anticipation, reading, touch....then arm strength....then things like how pretty the passes are.