Goff Needs to Focus more on Woods than Kupp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
...in the playoffs. Let me say that I love Kupp, and think he was a steal in the draft in the 3rd round. He does pretty good in big games, but also has had some critical drops and fumbles that hurt us in big games. Thinking of the first Hawk game and the Vikings in particular.

Woods is pretty much money when targeted and I have never gotten the sense that any moment is too big for him. Not saying to eliminate Kupp from the game plan, just look towards Robert first...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He needs to take what he can get and not worry about who it's too.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Anyone else notice that Sammy has ZERO drops on the year and is frequently open without being targeted? Perhaps there is a lack in chemistry or Sammy occasionally running a route differently than Goff expects. I don’t know what it is, but for this offense to take the next step up for a Super Bowl, Sammy and Jared need to figure it out.

On the other hand, Woods and Goff seem to ALWAYS know what the other is thinking. Kupp does too but his drops are concerning.

Last edited:

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
...wasn't it the Redskins game that Woods had a bad game and everyone wanted to run him out of town?

I agree with bluecoconuts and OldSchool...take what the D gives.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He doesn't need to focus on anyone, just take what the defenses want to give him.
Just saying Woods should be in his progression of reads before Kupp...anyway, that's my opinion. We can't afford a rookie drop/fumble in this game.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Jus throw it to Sammy every play!!

Just kidding I think jared does a good job finding the open reciever and taking his time in the pocket. I would like to see Sammy break out and show the world and our fans that he has just as much talent as anyone in the nfl.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He doesn't need to focus on anyone, just take what the defenses want to give him.

Exactly. Execute the gameplan.

That big pass to Woods for a long TD came on a play when Kupp was doubled up. They saw it and hit the big play. Whatever your scheme is going in, do that, and let McVay worry about who's first read for what situation.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This isn't the time to be forcing it....but, I would like to see more Sammy & Robert....Rookies should be used as little as possible....

Maybe Higbee is ready for the spotlight....If we could attack their strengths at safety and linebacker, it could shake them up...those dudes are too little for him. Neal...and Jones I believe.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
*shrugs...you guys are saying all the coach-speak things, but I want a win on Saturday and I have seen Kupp blow a couple of games this year because of rookie mental lapses (not catching a ball that he normally would catch vs Seattle, and not protecting ball in an all important almost TD vs the Vikings)

Last edited:

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I have seen Kupp blow a couple of games this year because of rookie mental lapses (not catching a ball that he normally would catch vs Seattle,
Kupp blew the Seattle game? Seems overly harsh IMHO. There were plenty of mistakes made in that game by the Rams.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kupp blew the Seattle game? Seems overly harsh IMHO. There were plenty of mistakes made in that game by the Rams.
The pass hit his hands..it wasn't an easy catch, but passes that hit WR's hands in HUGE games, have to be caught. This next game is the biggest of the year, so...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
*shrugs...you guys are saying all the coach-speak things, but I want a win on Saturday and I have seen Kupp blow a couple of games this year because of rookie mental lapses (not catching a ball that he normally would catch vs Seattle, and not protecting ball in an all important almost TD vs the Vikings)

If McVay likes the matchup on Woods what he'll do is adjust the reads accordingly for the plays/alignments that apply. He might be doing that, too, since Kupp has been getting a lot of attention from secondaries and rightly so.

But let's not bag on Kupp though. Yeah, he's a rookie. They do stupid sh!t. But we need him to make plays and cannot afford to shy away from him due to past errors. If this team is going to advance and win it all, they're going to need big playoff contributions from him.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
The pass hit his hands..it wasn't an easy catch, but passes that hit WR's hands in HUGE games, have to be caught. This next game is the biggest of the year, so...
That answers my question. It's entirely Kupp's fault the Rams lost that game to Seattle. Alrighty then...moving on...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We can't afford a rookie drop/fumble in this game.

but I want a win on Saturday and I have seen Kupp blow a couple of games this year because of rookie mental lapses (not catching a ball that he normally would catch vs Seattle, and not protecting ball in an all important almost TD vs the Vikings)

Now... Loyal... don't take this the wrong way but... I'm glad you're not our HC!

Can't be suggesting adjustments out of fear of unknowns, going into a playoff game.

Play your game, as you know it. Practice the same, prepare the same... go into the game as you always would... ready and determined... not worried about one player dropping passes and adjusting the game plan accordingly.

McVay is gonna do what he's been doing all year... right down to the most minute detail. It's worked pretty darned well thus far... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
;)

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It's a team sport. This is also what makes this team dangerous, opposing teams can't just take 1 player away and expect us to crumble. Too many weapons!

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McVay likes the matchup on Woods what he'll do is adjust the reads accordingly for the plays/alignments that apply. He might be doing that, too, since Kupp has been getting a lot of attention from secondaries and rightly so.

But let's not bag on Kupp though. Yeah, he's a rookie. They do stupid sh!t. But we need him to make plays and cannot afford to shy away from him due to past errors. If this team is going to advance and win it all, they're going to need big playoff contributions from him.
I'm really NOT bagging on Kupp, and I am not saying that Goff shouldn't throw to him...In past games McVay has featured some players over others...I'm saying that Woods needs to be featured as he was earlier in the season, before the injury.

nighttrain

Legend
Receivers and OL are the two biggest upgrades on this team. Last season, crap, this season, awesome
train