Goff and Wentz thread v1.35

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Went was taken by a team with 2 great qb coaches, and a top 5 offensive line . Jared goff is 2 years younger , played behind a bottom 5 offensive line and was drafted by a coaching staff that had no idea how to develope him . I am not ruling out Goff until this season is over, he shows great mechanics and looks like a capable NFL QB. LETS GIVE HIM A CHANCE !

fearsomefour

Legend
Worse...hasn't taken that amount of punishment...and acts terrified if someone comes close....and he's much slower than I'd imagined....

processes information slowly....and under pressure, forgetaboutit

Chris, err, Jim Everett is my measuring stick for rookies...I didn't want to put Dieter Brock expectations on them...Dieter was ROY too....but Jim's numbers were GREAT for a rookie....I liked the way he played too....we ruined Jim Everett.
Everett was a strange player.
His feet were never good. Threw with a weird side step, away from the target a lot.
He had some good years in New Orleans after the Rams.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I watch a lot of football and I've never seen so many fumbles that are taken to the house . It seems like every fumble is returned for a TD . Bad luck I guess

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL billed this as the dress rehearsal for the season, or the most like a regular season game...that's is why I am taking it more seriously. I didn't necessarily need to see our QB throw for 250 yards and two 2 TDs, I just wanted to see smart decisions. If you feel that what you saw Goff do was smart, then we'll have to differ on this...

I want the kid to succeed...just sayin'
A lot of teams do take it as a dress rehearsal for the season. But since the Rams played their second team defense and pulled the starters that did play early, they didn't seem to play it like other teams. Perhaps the competition for backups is pretty tight and they were more interested in seeing who would step up and take those jobs.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Went was taken by a team with 2 great qb coaches, and a top 5 offensive line . Jared goff is 2 years younger , played behind a bottom 5 offensive line and was drafted by a coaching staff that had no idea how to develope him . I am not ruling out Goff until this season is over, he shows great mechanics and looks like a capable NFL QB. LETS GIVE HIM A CHANCE !
I agree with you to give him a chance , but to me Wentz just looks the part of a confident man at QB .

Ram65

Legend
Until I hear from McVay why he chose to not throw anymore, & run the ball 20 straight times....c'mon...we are left to assume, he was not allowed to throw and was sat because the HC saw something....probably a lack of confidence in his QB.

So you have a crystal ball or are a mind reader. You've been give reasonable possible explanations. Avoid injury with backup O lineman in the game while the running game was doing well. He was taken out of the game as planned.

ust on eyes....remember the game when he was sacked by the guy that grabbed his jersey? I think it happened again, well it was similar to it...but it happened again vs the Falcons...It was strange to see a grown man pulled down by one hand....I thought it was weak...like no determination to make the play work..Just submit...give in. If it was any other player, we'd be ticked.

If you look at that play Goff gets tripped at the feet and that brings him down. I know I pointed that out before but, you keep bringing it up as it he wasn't tripped,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ30q39bj30

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
There is not a QB in the league who's hanging onto that ball.
Now now.....presuming much??

You sure are on Havenstein.....but Goff owes some blame too....

Also, no two players I remember have been bigger pu***** in the pocket than Peyton and Brady.
I used to hate the way Eli chucked and ducked...
Seriously....Peyton and Brady have earned the right to be pussies.....they get it done on a regular...like the play after the fumble...Why was that throw missed? What did your EYES tell you? Who looked like a pussy then, with an opportunity to make up for the fumble? Late ball, poorly thrown...hell, it slipped out of his hands. Wonder why?

To say he is lacking in fire or passion or leadership or anything else based on body language is silly.
Body language is how we communicate...Over 90% of communication is non-verbal...If you know what you're looking at, it's really easy.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So you have a crystal ball or are a mind reader. You've been give reasonable possible explanations. Avoid injury with backup O lineman in the game while the running game was doing well. He was taken out of the game as planned.
Ok, why did McVay not allow him to throw for those plays that he WAS left in? Down 21-0....Figured we'd go hurry up...you know, use the situation as a teaching moment. Game reps in 2 minute offense. Nope...run it....run clock...and get him out.

I always wonder...if our backups are that poor that we're worried about injuries to the players they are in to protect, then they don't care anything about Mannion? That's the perception we are to believe? The line could get Goff hurt, but throw Mannion to the wolves...he can take it?

If you look at that play Goff gets tripped at the feet and that brings him down. I know I pointed that out before but, you keep bringing it up as it he wasn't tripped,
meh....overwhelmed blocker....QB looking for a soft spot to fall...no attempt to avoid rush and make something happen...in a winnable game at that point. He was trippin all right, just not in his feet....more in the head.

Ram65

Legend
I always wonder...if our backups are that poor that we're worried about injuries to the players they are in to protect, then they don't care anything about Mannion? That's the perception we are to believe? The line could get Goff hurt, but throw Mannion to the wolves...he can take it?

Chargers still had some #1s in the game. You don't take the risk with your starter.

meh....overwhelmed blocker....QB looking for a soft spot to fall...no attempt to avoid rush and make something happen...in a winnable game at that point. He was trippin all right, just not in his feet....more in the head.

He was tripped. Why bother you just write your own scenario.

fearsomefour

Legend

I used to hate the way Eli chucked and ducked...
Seriously....Peyton and Brady have earned the right to be pussies.....they get it done on a regular...like the play after the fumble...Why was that throw missed? What did your EYES tell you? Who looked like a wuss then, with an opportunity to make up for the fumble? Late ball, poorly thrown...hell, it slipped out of his hands. Wonder why?

Body language is how we communicate...Over 90% of communication is non-verbal...If you know what you're looking at, it's really easy.
Hav is C-
The right side is sub par until proven otherwise.
We will have to agree to disagree about QB.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Why bother you just write your own scenario.
Really? I saw a guy, tripping over himself, trying to get out the way of a sack....I didn't see him stumble...or anything...and I have my reading glasses on. Who tripped him? Which leg?

You guys are the ones writing YOUR OWN scenarios....your own expectations...and trying to mirror that, with what we have now seen for several games....the outlier was the Raider game. This was Goff...in a better offense...with 2016 type results...

As soon as we can change out Havenstein and Brown...we'll get a better picture if the kid can play....he should have scored one or 2 td's last night....he didn't...he had 2 turnovers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Frankly, I think Goff making the right reads is more promising than one awful duck is concerning. But that's just my opinion.

Watch the play again, or if you can post it.......Goff had someone bearing down on him unimpeded and git rid of it in a sloppy fashion because he was rushed.

It's not a great decision or pass but understandable because a defender was coming in hot and he had Watkins who had just flashed open. He was trying to make a play and it came out wrong because he rushed it. After watching it online a few times he could have taken another tick to make sure he was set to fire it in.

He'll learn. The read was right, the throw was bad because he rushed it. My opinion anyway.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry, but Goff has to feel/see that coming. I have mentioned It before that he seems slow in everything he does. I still like him, but that is always going to be a concern of mine. His clock has to get right or he will be meat.

How is Goff supposed to see that coming when he's reading the other side of the field? Havenstein needs to not get beat immediately.

As for Goff's clock, he's not going to be able to win there. The play where Woods was open for a TD is an example of a play where Goff decided to not to hold the ball and risk a negative play. He started off reading the left side of the field, nothing was there, and opted to throw the ball away instead of continuing to move across the field. This caused him to miss an open Woods on the other side of the field. Earlier in the game, he held it, scanned the field, and found Woods. But had he been sacked on the play, I can only imagine people would have criticized him for holding it too long.

The kid can't win. He didn't hold the ball too long on the sack. He was gearing up to throw it almost immediately after coming out of his drop when Bosa ripped it out. Bosa just beat Hav too quickly.

If he holds the ball, he risks a sack. If he throws it away, he risks missing an open WR by not scanning the entire field. And he's going to get raked over the coals for either one.

It's the preseason. Goff is still the youngest starting QB in the NFL. He's going to make mistakes. I'd rather he learn from them now. But I'm not sure how people expect him to prevent the Bosa sack.

I hate that I have to spend so much time defending the kid, especially in the preseason. I should probably just save my energy for the regular season because Goff isn't going to be perfect this year. And the first bad game he has, I already know what's coming.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch the play again, or if you can post it.......Goff had someone bearing down on him unimpeded and git rid of it in a sloppy fashion because he was rushed.

It's not a great decision or pass but understandable because a defender was coming in hot and he had Watkins who had just flashed open. He was trying to make a play and it came out wrong because he rushed it. After watching it online a few times he could have taken another tick to make sure he was set to fire it in.

He'll learn. The read was right, the throw was bad because he rushed it. My opinion anyway.

That's what I saw as well. Make that mistake now when it doesn't count, and learn from it.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Ok, why did McVay not allow him to throw for those plays that he WAS left in? Down 21-0....Figured we'd go hurry up...you know, use the situation as a teaching moment. Game reps in 2 minute offense. Nope...run it....run clock...and get him out.

My take on it is he wanted to get the offensive line some good reps.

The Rams pass protection has been pretty solid. McVay is trying to work on his depth as well as keep his players healthy.

I've seen in the past The Rams offense look horrible in the preseason. This year they look pretty good. Like Jared Goff said is they have good tape to go over.
I think understanding the run blocking scheme is a nice place to start. It will even help Gurley.
There are only so many reps to go around in practice.Goff will keep getting his work in.
It's also McVays first loss as a HC , which I don't think matter that much to him.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Goff's blame comes from not sensing/seeing the pressure coming, not for not hanging onto the ball, it's ridiculous to assume a QB should hold onto that ball without tucking it/getting another hand on it, etc.