Goff and Wentz thread v1.35

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I rarely go day 3 with this kinda stuff....I briefly touched on it....had he hit the open Woods underneath....the fumble never happens....so, he did miss an open target there...again...focusing in on Higbee

Finally, truth at last....no need for the "probably"...he's on the goalline...passes can be made in .5 of a second down there...

Yeah....or he was processing what he was seeing too slowly...
He looks fine...thats cool....like I said...look around...at 2nd year players...oh, he's still a rookie, look around at the rookies...see if you can tell a difference.

Big step.....that comes week one...And....IN MY OPINION....he looked a LOT like last year in that game...better players around him....better plays....we're moving the ball....then...Goff happened...last years Goff....not just the fumble...his reaction to the fumble...the interception. Looked like 2016...against a vanilla scheme...in the dress rehearsal game...Look around...tell me one other starting QB that's doing that...oh yeah, tell me if they're any good too?

Yeah...we did see a change....Goff got worse the more he played....so did the team around him...

I'm good man....I'll read your response....I like seeing your points of view...I'll be watching the Indy game with you in mind...but as far as responding on this point...I'm good. As I've come to say in here, we'll just have to agree to disagree....Until he shows me something...winning football....not that other stuff...I'll have my doubts...

Show me

He was our 2nd best WR....stats say so....game tape says so....he'd help us WIN...instead of looking at Tavon Austin....If we started throwing to...say Woods, or god forbid Tavon....and I felt Josh Reynolds or Cooper Kupp would help us WIN...I'd say the same.

Defend all you want...his PLAY speaks for itself....if your defending his PLAY...then, go to the I watch football line...that's not winning football from our QB...It's not...no matter how many of you don't wanna say it.
wow...and for that I get what? $1,000,000 ROD $$$$? No...I'd HOPE some body in the FO would also get a clue, and make some changes....sorta like the Fisher fiasco...and sooner than 5 years.

Just for your pleasure...I'm wrong a bunch too...I liked Quick...remember? Maybe he gets cut from the Skins..

Naw...Tavon being the leader in targets was a detriment...O-Line draft picks...HUGE detriment...Poor coaching....huge detriment...Quick wasn't the problem...Neither was Sam Bradford...and definitely not Kenny Britt, Jared Cook, or Lance Kendricks...

gotta proofread my stuff....@vegasram is lurking...

Dude your going off the DEEP End ?
I have to lol - wtf ??

You make few good points , but way off the deep end.

--- Goff just needs to step up in the pocket on the fumble. McVay talked about his drop being tonfar as well.
* That INT right after that was Freaking worrisome , especially after the fumble. I don't like some of his mid/range deep balls. I don't know if that can be corrected?

Tavon ?? Your right about him being a every down WR. The thing about Tavon is what else he brings. --Yes if you talk about his contract Demoff F'd IT UP !!

Bradford was never given a true far shake, but his contract was tough to swollen.

Kenny Britt #18 vs Copper Kupp #18.
I'll takenfreaking Kupp all day long. Britt
Still is a head case. -- just saw him drop a pass against TBay & then get a 15 yard penalty the next series. The Rams don't need that.
Cook vs Higbee ? Will look at the stats in a few weeks. Cook was very expensive & another head case.
Lance was missing a lot of passes & a bunch of other mistakes as well. --Good bye to those losers , along with Quick.

You talk about losing the last 5 years and you bring up those guys though ??

--Come on man.. Get onboard with change. Sammy Watkins , that is a nice change. Don't tell me you want Kenny Britt ?? I'll give him his 1,000 yards and all that. --These are good changes though.
--Whitworth was huge & a great start to finally have a solid O'"line.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Well he wasn't very good, playing better than Goff did last year isn't saying a lot.

All Goff needs to be is a very good QB. He doesn't ned to be a top 5 guy. Some people will argue that he needs to be because of the trade to move up but that's a weak case IMO. If he is considered a top 7-12 guy that's great.

I like Hoyer too........I was shocked the Browns didn't keep him. At least as a back up.

Wentz wasn't scanning much of anything last year, he was deer in the headlights plenty and went to his check down probably more than anyone in the NFL. Even the local media was talking about it.
I agree with you that goff doesn't need to be a top 5 guy. If he can just pose a threat got he defense , this team will succeed. The defense is good enough to keep games close , if he can scare defenses enough to open up holes for Gurley we should be ok

bluecoconuts

Legend
I briefly touched on it....had he hit the open Woods underneath....the fumble never happens....so, he did miss an open target there...again...focusing in on Higbee

I mentioned it before, but if he throws that pass to Woods, Woods gets absolutely crushed. There's a Linebacker sitting there just wishing Goff makes that throw. Part of a QB's job is not getting their receivers killed, especially in preseason. Superbowl or playofffs? Yeah, make that throw. Preseason? Nah, not worth it.

Finally, truth at last....no need for the "probably"...he's on the goalline...passes can be made in .5 of a second down there...

Yeah, there's nobody open. There was no play there other than Brown who was open right as Goff got hit, which is where Goff is probably throwing the ball to (him or Higbee, it's hard to say).. Before the sack he should have thrown it away. With how late Brown is releasing, either the play hadn't developed (meaning the tackle is more at fault, he needs to hold Bosa off better) or Brown was late to release and start his route. Meaning we don't know if Goff actually held on too long or not.. For sake of argument I'm just going to say he needs to get rid of the ball faster. That wasn't for lack of awareness or inability to see the field, that was him not having anyone open and knowing that someone was about to come open.

Still Bosa made a great play, that's going to happen. Sometimes the defense is going to win. It doesn't mean much in terms of Goff's development either way in my opinion.

Yeah....or he was processing what he was seeing too slowly...

See, this right here is unnecessarily adding something that you don't know about and something that looks to be very much false when you compare it to the rest of what he's done thus far. The second Brown becomes open or Higbee potentially becomes open (without the all-22 we can't tell for sure) Goff has seen them and is getting ready to throw. Doesn't look like slow processing to me, especially since his other reads were taken away. Since neither of us are going to budge on this issue, I'm not going to comment further on it.

He looks fine...thats cool....like I said...look around...at 2nd year players...oh, he's still a rookie, look around at the rookies...see if you can tell a difference.

Yeah I see a difference in Goff from year 1 to year 2. That's all that matters. It doesn't matter what other second year players or rookies are doing, it matters what Goff is doing. There's no point in comparing him to other quarterbacks, the season hasn't even started. We can evaluate Goff compared to the other QB's in the league when the season is over. Right now I'm comparing Goff to Goff. And Goff 2.0 looks a lot better.

Big step.....that comes week one...And....IN MY OPINION....he looked a LOT like last year in that game...better players around him....better plays....we're moving the ball....then...Goff happened...last years Goff....not just the fumble...his reaction to the fumble...the interception. Looked like 2016...against a vanilla scheme...in the dress rehearsal game...Look around...tell me one other starting QB that's doing that...oh yeah, tell me if they're any good too?

I dunno, that Browns QB you're so hard over looked like that, and you seem to think he's good.

I don't agree with your assessment, it's clear that others don't as well. I have attempted to offer up specific examples and plays where you can see him display the traits you claim he lacks. You have been stuck on two plays to claim that he doesn't, and even then you only take the negative from the plays.... And again, it's preseason. Don't take too much stock in preseason. Shit, look how terrible the Colts were in the preseason with Manning.. Or hell look at Bradford's rookie year, game 3 against the Patriots. They kept Brady well into the 4th quarter so he could cut into the score that Bradford built before being pulled at the half.... We finished 7-9, they finished 14-2 and Brady was OPOY and MVP. Preseason doesn't mean shit.

Yeah...we did see a change....Goff got worse the more he played....so did the team around him...

I think the team gave up on Fisher last year. Goff often put us into positions to win and the defense folded, the team quit. Defense gave up a TD late against Miami, and let the Saints drop 49 on them. When your rookie QB puts up 3 TD's in the first half of their second game on the road, you can't have your defense giving up 49 points. Fisher had lost the team at that point, I'm not going to blame Goff for that, that was a total team effort, and a team failure.

I'm good man....I'll read your response....I like seeing your points of view...I'll be watching the Indy game with you in mind...but as far as responding on this point...I'm good. As I've come to say in here, we'll just have to agree to disagree....Until he shows me something...winning football....not that other stuff...I'll have my doubts...

Show me

Yep, I'm done because it's obvious minds wont be changed. I'll be watching and I'll be rooting for him. I find it's more fun that way.

Ram65

Legend
I've been reading the comments and looking back at the YouTube replays. My views on the three plays in question

1. The interception was all on Goff. He saw the defender coming and hurried the throw IIRC that was his recall. It's a bad play. Hopefully, Goff learned from it. Was he rattle from the sack. Maybe, sacks create some doubt and increase anticipation of being hit. So far Goff has IMHO has stood pretty tall in the pocket and taken his hits. He knew he should have made the throw.

2. The Sack Fumble has a few dynamics involved. It was great play by Bosa for blowing by Havenstein and going right for the ball. Once the Bosa hit the ball with his left hand there was no way Goff could hold on to the ball. We have seen it happen to ALL Qbs. The Rams Robert Quinn has created a number of strip sacks himself.

Rob Havenstein got beat badly.

Could Goff have helped Hav by moving up in the pocket? He did slide to his left a little bit. I don't know if he felt Bosa or was it because he was looking left. There was not much room to move up the pocket that would have stopped Bosa from making the play. Did Goff take too long? My first thought was NO but, after replaying it over and over I can YES to a little too long. It's really close. Had Havenstein held his block at all Goff probably gets the ball off. Overall it's a bang bang play that hopefully Goff and the Rams will learn from. Might have to chip a player like Bosa with a RB/TE to slow him down.

3. The Woods was open play on 2nd down is a little deceptive when you see the freeze shot. The running play shows the LBer closing in. From what I understand Goff looks left and then middle to Higbee. He stayed on Higbee too long but, did throw it safely away. I would have liked Woods to put up his hand as he made that cut. It could have help Goff see him, you never know as Woods was his third read.

Overall, these were good plays for Goff and the Rams to learn from. It's hard for me to make any concrete conclusions about the future of Goff and the Rams offense based on these plays. As all young quarterbacks Goff has to speed things up when reading his progressions. He has to work on his drop back depth, anticipation and internal clock amongst other things.

Ramon Ram

Starter
Heard an interesting radio interview with Pat Kirwan this morning. He was discussing the traits of this years QB crop and Goffs name came up. He said he thought Goff wasn't strong enough or possess the escape skills to be a top QB.
This has been my biggest beef with taking him over Wentz. While many view Wentz as a running QB, I don't . I viewed him as a stronger man and his escape skills are something I think is important in todays NFL, not a running QB.
I viewed Goff more in the Bradford body type and I wanted a little more mobility.
Let's see how McVay manages him through the season.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He had a great drive going.....then looked like crap the rest of the game....caused 2 turnovers....dude has NEVER won a big game...a tough game...a ranked opponent....or an NFL game...and he's played in 7.

Stop it Les...a season is 16 games....rookies do hit a mythical wall....but tell me what about his year looked bad?

On these two statements.

7 games and you are judging Goff because he hasn't won a big game, or beaten a ranked opponent or whatever. It's only 7 games, less than half of what Wentz has played in. But you excuse the fact that Wentz literally played as bad as anyone from week 5 to the end of they year and he was in a good system for QB's and had a decent OL and set of weapons.

As far as what about his year looked bad..........pretty much everything after the first 4 weeks. He was a turnover machine, after the first 4 weeks he threw 9 TD's and 13 INT's. His YPA was pathetic even including his first 4 games, lower than Bradford (by nearly .8 of a yard) which is really hard to do. He had the lowest in the NFL, the only QB with a lower YPA is Brock Oswieller. All he did was throw it ASAP to the first person he aid eyes on.

It's too early to judge either of these players.

1. The interception was all on Goff. He saw the defender coming and hurried the throw IIRC that was his recall. It's a bad play. Hopefully, Goff learned from it. Was he rattle from the sack. Maybe, sacks create some doubt and increase anticipation of being hit. So far Goff has IMHO has stood pretty tall in the pocket and taken his hits. He knew he should have made the throw.

It was a bad throw. He was targeting Watkins I'm sure of it because the ball went that way but was wobbling and floating terribly because he really rushed the throw out. He will learn from it hopefully and next time take that extra tick and deliver it correctly. If he had completed that everyone would be saying "oooooh what a pass". He made the right read and was going to the right place with the ball. It was a bad decision to rush it and it resulted in a bad pass.

But lets not judge his game, or potential, on that play and the strip sack.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Heard an interesting radio interview with Pat Kirwan this morning. He was discussing the traits of this years QB crop and Goffs name came up. He said he thought Goff wasn't strong enough or possess the escape skills to be a top QB.
This has been my biggest beef with taking him over Wentz. While many view Wentz as a running QB, I don't . I viewed him as a stronger man and his escape skills are something I think is important in todays NFL, not a running QB.
I viewed Goff more in the Bradford body type and I wanted a little more mobility.
Let's see how McVay manages him through the season.

Yea, the lack of strength and escape skills certainly stopped Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning, Matt Ryan, Kurt Warner, etc. from being great QBs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really with that group?

Yes. Really. How many of the past 20 or so Super Bowls have QBs in that group won or played in?

Escape skills in the NFL are much more based on skill, mechanics, and instincts than athleticism. Goff was actually much better at creating time in the pocket than Wentz in college. Strength isn't important. There are a handful of QBs in the NFL strong enough for it to matter. Wentz ain't one of them.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Nope not what I do. Clearly from the comments in this thread this discussion has been had already and I partook in exactly none of them so believe what you will. I will also enjoy the season.

:p

Cat got you "keyboard" or are you just waiting for Goff to implode. If this has an appearance of gloating then you're damn right I am

C-ya

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
always thought Wentz had a bigger upside due to him having more "physicality" whatever that means, but Goff had the higher floor.

to me Goff's ceiling is Matt Ryan-like. his floor miggt be mire Alex Smirh, withoyt the running threat.

Wentz could be Brett Farve like, a gun slinger, but shaky mechanics. His floor would be Cutler without the attitude, but a guy that is just a bit reckless with his body and the ball.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
always thought Wentz had a bigger upside due to him having more "physicality" whatever that means, but Goff had the higher floor.

to me Goff's ceiling is Matt Ryan-like. his floor miggt be mire Alex Smirh, withoyt the running threat.

Wentz could be Brett Farve like, a gun slinger, but shaky mechanics. His floor would be Cutler without the attitude, but a guy that is just a bit reckless with his body and the ball.

IMO Wentz has a lower ceiling and floor than Goff. I watched as much video of each of them as I could find and if I was the Rams GM I wouldn't have traded up for Wentz.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
118.2 (Jared goff's qb rating this year)
89.3 (Carson wentz' qb rating this year)

Still early, but a good start

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
118.2 (Jared goff's qb rating this year)
89.3 (Carson wentz' qb rating this year)

Still early, but a good start

Very early for sure. I wanted Goff based on things I saw him doing in college videos, and we are seeing those things now, this season. Especially Thursday night. I think Goff is the type of player or person that goes from zero to full comprehension without a lot of "learning" showing up or being visible from the outside, at least frmo the outside. In other words the light doesn't go on sooner for him than others, but it goes on suddenly. I think that's why he looked so bad at times last year. He didn't comprehend the task.

IMO there is a chance Wentz doesn't get better and his play ends up declining like we have seen with a lot of guys, especially QB's. I've never been sold on him. Last year a lot of posters were flipping out during the first 4 weeks when the Eagles were winning and Wentz was looking good and Goff was in sweat pants with a clip board. After some tape on Goff he was pretty below average to bad the rest of the year despite having weapons around him, a fantastic defense and a solid OL.

I remain convinced that the Rams made the smart choice. I tend to lean away from guys with Wentz's style of play. It doesn't seem to work well in the NFL long term.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very early for sure. I wanted Goff based on things I saw him doing in college videos, and we are seeing those things now, this season. Especially Thursday night. I think Goff is the type of player or person that goes from zero to full comprehension without a lot of "learning" showing up or being visible from the outside, at least frmo the outside. In other words the light doesn't go on sooner for him than others, but it goes on suddenly. I think that's why he looked so bad at times last year. He didn't comprehend the task.

IMO there is a chance Wentz doesn't get better and his play ends up declining like we have seen with a lot of guys, especially QB's. I've never been sold on him. Last year a lot of posters were flipping out during the first 4 weeks when the Eagles were winning and Wentz was looking good and Goff was in sweat pants with a clip board. After some tape on Goff he was pretty below average to bad the rest of the year despite having weapons around him, a fantastic defense and a solid OL.

I remain convinced that the Rams made the smart choice. I tend to lean away from guys with Wentz's style of play. It doesn't seem to work well in the NFL long term.
I have a buddy who lives in Philly. Pretty good football mind. He's not sold on wentz either. He reiterated what Cris Carter said. He makes a couple of decent plays and then couples that with some alarmingly bad ones

rking4441

Rookie
Name
Richard
I live in the Philly area and see Wentz every week. I think for Fisher's style of play that Wentz was the better fit. The great thing about Goff is that he fits McVay style of play and it goes to how well Snead did with making sure the Rams drafted the more gifted QB not the one that fit a specific coaches (Fisher) style. I also think that both Goff and Wentz are talented QBs but when you look at their mechanics and play style I think Goff was the right pick at #1. 3 games into the McVay era and the bust chatter now sounds like crickets which is a sweet thing for us in the Philly area!

Ram65

Legend
It's always fun to look at these two as long as you don't get too wrapped up in the debate.

The Eagles are asking a lot of Wentz. Something like 73% or so of the play calling are passes. That's a lot without much of a run game. Wentz takes a beating and keeps on ticking. I don't know how long he can keep this up. They got Ertz who has the most catches and yards since week 13. Alshon Jeffery was brought in with Tory Smith. Smith is not a great target and Jeffery hasn't gotten going yet. Wentz is carrying the Eagles along with the defense. Wentz looks even stronger this year and has made pass plays with making tacklers miss. Locally they say his long throws aren't accurate. Wentz can manage in this system where Goff would have a much harder time. The Eagles need to help Wentz with a run game. He gets a lot of pressure.

We all saw Goff against the Whiners. He looked composed and made some really great throws. It's his touch and accuracy that are really being demonstrated on long and short passes. He got some time in the pocket and a run game to help slow down the pass rush. Collingsworth noticed his drift backwards when pressured up the middle. That could be a problem when good pass rush/blitz defenses. It's something to watch. I liked Goff's feet and balance from the beginning. Right now he is looking very good. Both Qbs have picked up their offenses well. I like Wentzes physicality but, Goffs passing ability is still my pick.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

Gotta disagree with you here Philly, no way Wentz makes that beautiful throw to Watson, Goff has done it twice only the first time Sammy dropped it in the end zone (vs Oakland)

Wentz to me is an upgraded Austin Davis, both can extend plays, both pretty much have shotgun accuracy, it will be interesting to see how their careers play out being that they will obviously be intertwined.

My point for posting this morning was...isn't funny how some Wentz guys only show up after bad performances yet are no where to be found after very good showings, not expecting them to be returning anytime soon.

Scirca

Rookie
Arm Talent: Jared Goff > Carson Wentz

Arm Strength: Jared Goff> Carson Wentz

Physical Strength: Carson Wentz

Pocket Presence: Jared Goff> Carson Wentz (he makes his OL--3 pro bowlers and a HOF on the LT. look bad not the other way around.)

Mental Toughness: Jared Goff> Carson Wentz

Decision Making: Jared Goff> Carson Wentz

Throwing Mechanics: Jared Goff > Carson Wentz.

I have to add this, Doug Pederson is a garbage head coach.

This isn't even me throwing shade on Carson Wentz, who I used to like pre-draft.