Goff and Wentz thread v1.35

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I love a great debate....lets get it started...gauntlet thrown down.
You kind of are, dude. Your argument basically boils down to "He sucks" and that he's stupid so we're sitting stagnant while the other teams in our division rebuild...
Those are YOUR words...but you take mine to mean this or that. It's cool...
Teams are rebuilding...reloading....getting better...drafting smarter.
To clarify....he's not looking like a franchise QB....not even a winning QB....That's a problem.

I'm not really into the smart football player thing...some are smarter than others...the smarter players usually play offense.

the 49ers don't even have a QB....
They looked damn good last night. Better than that. I wonder was that a new system??? Hmmmmm

the average human hand doesn't have the strength to grip the ball tight enough to hold it with that much force baring down on the ball.
Average human...Lets just say I believe that professional football players have greater than average strength...Greater grip strength...and can hold the ball tighter...QB's should also be aware of the situation...and timing of strips....where they are on the field...how much time they have to get the ball out....oh shoot, there goes that smart player stuff...geez, just can't get away from it.

What missed reads? From what I can tell his reads have been perfect the past two weeks. Did he miss Woods
Of course he missed Woods. Before the strip sack...he had an incomplete pass...where again our QB is targeting/staring/looking for Higbee...his best bud...while Woods breaks open across the field...should he have seen him? I'd hope so...great pocket passer and all...instead he throws it away. Don't believe the Champster do ya? Lets see if this works..
xT9IgG5lIDE01K5ZLi
https://giphy.com/gifs/xT9IgG5lIDE01K5ZLi
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/8/28/16211634/rams-chargers-film-review-recap-jared-goff
click the link if the pic doesn't work....nice article by the way

I saw him miss another open target too....forcing it to Higbee....

Goff admitted to that, he didn't get the release he wanted because he rushed it a bit. That's on him, nobody has says otherwise. Not every throw is going to be perfect, no QB throws 100% of their throws perfectly, and when you're the youngest starting QB in the league you're definitely no different.
Nope....but when there are open targets....wide open...QB's have to make those plays...In the NFL you are rarely going to have wide open players, so when you get a chance, you have to take advantage. QB-ing 101.
He's not the youngest starter anymore...Deshawn Kizer. And, if he looks better than Goff......
Here you're just trashing him for no reason. You're insinuating he's stupid because he didn't know a trivia question off the top of his head, I'm willing to bet I could do the same thing and stump you with a trivia question as well.
sunsetsinWest did that himself...I wish you'd try to stump me...I've always been pretty sharp. You say trashing....Why? What world is this when the truth is trashing a guy...we talk about guys prior incidents and why we don't want them. Josh Gordon...Johnny Manziel...anyone...no one says we're trashing them...just bringing up history. Someone else said they wouldn't know east from west either...A guy in here that I respect...doesn't know the sun "rises" (I put that in quotations, because that appeared to be the word that stumped him)...in the east....and sets in the west....and I always say that for the guys that want ALL smart players...sharp guys...but the main piece, is....is....definitely NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer. I wonder, how could he explain concepts, detailed stuff...but the word "rises" stumped him?

. I'm saying that Wentz was crap last year and he was.
Dude....Wentz had limited weapons....they went out and got new wrs....His RT, Lane Johnson, a beast I wished we had drafted was out 10 games...oh, guess who struggled? But he was still IN games...won games...made plays to win them too. 3700 yards, 16 tds.....14 ints....in 600 attempts. 600 attempts!!! And guess what, he's looking pretty good in his 2nd year....Experience counts for something.
So Wentz didn't suck....he was average....as a rookie. Just the eyeball test says he's a player, and you'd be hard pressed to find one person that says his future isn't bright.

Wentz went to a QB friendly team with a QB friendly offense with QB friendly coaches who had a reputation for developing QB's and designing offenses to maximize a QB's potential, and we saw it right out of the gate
Goff is in the same situation right now.....and in the 3rd preseason game, that he virtually lost it all by himself, he looks considerably worse than some 1st year players. And definitely nothing like Wentz last year.

Those plays on Saturday were choke jobs. He has talent...He has coaching...We were moving the ball. Offense looks better than ever....We already lost a great offensive coach because the players under performed. Who, you ask, well Josh McDaniels.....I still remember how the Giants were falling all over themselves to stop the clock. Lets not lose another great mind because we're hoping Fish & Snead got THIS offensive pick correct.....and with there history, you really think that's the case???

I'm about to put "tired of losin" in my avitar

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Please don't lock it...pretty pleas, with sugar on top....

Fumbling....man I forgot something....must be my stumped moment...LOL

Wentz RUNS around....diving, sliding...scrambling...
If he's fumbling more than Goff, I see the reason in that....

But...I would like to keep track of that...

Just like TD passes....interceptions....and everything else

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Couldn't disagree more. He looked rattled at the slightest bit of pressure, he ran out of the pocket and checked down as fast as he could. I saw him play enough to know confidence isn't a word I would use to describe him. He was getting rid of the ball as fast as he could.

I think people are thinking only of his first handful of games. He looked terrible after that, just horrible.

I just looked at his game logs. After week 5 he didn't have a SINGLE game with YPA over 6.6 and had 8 games where his YPA was UNDER 6. That stinks. And honestly he wasn't even killing it on completion % despite checking down and throwing super short passes.

Maybe people don't want to admit it for whatever reason, but Wentz looked bad last year.

Here's a story from the local media.

And by the way this was early in the season. It got worse. Much worse.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/carson-wentz-should-be-real-quarterback-stop-dinking-dunking/
He was better than Goff last year , coaching is the main reason why

bluecoconuts

Legend
Those are YOUR words...but you take mine to mean this or that. It's cool...
Teams are rebuilding...reloading....getting better...drafting smarter.
To clarify....he's not looking like a franchise QB....not even a winning QB....That's a problem.

I'm not really into the smart football player thing...some are smarter than others...the smarter players usually play offense.

He looks like he can be good to me, I see a lot of very positive traits and things from Goff that makes me excited. So do a lot of others, so do the coaching staff it seems. Look I'm not all about Goff because he's Goff, I'm all about Goff because he's our QB. I was all about Bradford when he was our QB as well. If Wentz was our QB, I'd be all about him as well. There aren't many Rams QB's that I'm not all about, and those are usually the ones like Keenum or Foles, that I know aren't long term solutions. Goff I think can be one, and I'm rooting hard for him. I think he has a lot of traits that can make him a very good franchise QB.

They looked damn good last night. Better than that. I wonder was that a new system??? Hmmmmm

It could be, they have a new system. I wanted McVay before Shannahan, I pegged McVay as a darkhorse replacement for Fisher early last season (you can check post history if you want proof)... It could also be because they're in preseason. The 49ers were garbage last year, 2-14, and they don't have a QB. Look at their roster, look at their QB's... They have garbage QB Matt Barkley, garbage QB Brian Hoyer, and two guys I've legitimately never even heard of. Up and down that roster is a lot of nothing, the 49ers are a team that'll be competing for the first overall pick. We're trending up, they still haven't found their QB of the future... Or their running back... Or receivers..... Or TE... Or O-Line... Legitimately, the 49ers have zero pieces on offense to build around. Their best players are old, and their young players aren't blue chip.

Average human...Lets just say I believe that professional football players have greater than average strength...Greater grip strength...and can hold the ball tighter...QB's should also be aware of the situation...and timing of strips....where they are on the field...how much time they have to get the ball out....oh shoot, there goes that smart player stuff...geez, just can't get away from it.

Obviously professional football players have greater than average strength... And the guy knocking the ball out of Goff's hands was 6'5, 280lbs and the reigning defensive rookie of the year. He was also on Goff very quickly, 3 seconds and he was there. It was a quick hitter throw, and he made a great play. It's similar to when Donald breaks through the line so quickly that he can tackle the QB before he hands the ball off to the running back on a run play.. And that has happened before. Is that the QB making a mistake or a great defender making an even greater play? I'm more inclined to think it's the latter. Would I have liked Goff to sense him, step up (which wouldn't have helped since protection in front of him was already breaking down and he saw that), and make a play? Or at least not fumble? Obviously, but sometimes shit happens and sometimes the defense makes a great play. That was the defense making a great play. I'm not faulting Goff and saying he's a bad player because of it, just like I wouldn't fault Warner for the same thing, or Mannion, Wentz, or any other QB you want to say. Sometimes the defenders just make a great play. It's the NFL, and the competition is elite.

Of course he missed Woods. Before the strip sack...he had an incomplete pass...where again our QB is targeting/staring/looking for Higbee...his best bud...while Woods breaks open across the field...should he have seen him? I'd hope so...great pocket passer and all...instead he throws it away. Don't believe the Champster do ya? Lets see if this works..
xT9IgG5lIDE01K5ZLi
https://giphy.com/gifs/xT9IgG5lIDE01K5ZLi
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/8/28/16211634/rams-chargers-film-review-recap-jared-goff
click the link if the pic doesn't work....nice article by the way

I saw him miss another open target too....forcing it to Higbee....

I was talking about that, he missed woods but the read was correct. It was a kick hitter play, that's designed to get the ball out very quickly. Goff looked pissed after the throw because as soon as he threw it away he saw Woods was open. That's something to clean up in the regular season, and likely doesn't happen. I think jrry mentioned it, it's the preseason. You don't scramble and try to make something from nothing in the preseason, you throw the ball away and end the play, and thus end the risk of injury. In the regular season, assuming Goff doesn't throw the ball away as soon as his first two reads are gone, he probably sees Woods and hits him for the TD. Regardless in those types of plays, you're supposed to throw the ball away, and that's what he did, hence why it was the correct read. Save the improvised stuff for the regular season when it matters. I'd rather Goff throw the ball away every single play and end the preseason with zero completions than have him extending plays for no reason and getting guys injured for the year.

Nope....but when there are open targets....wide open...QB's have to make those plays...In the NFL you are rarely going to have wide open players, so when you get a chance, you have to take advantage. QB-ing 101.
He's not the youngest starter anymore...Deshawn Kizer. And, if he looks better than Goff......

Okay, so he's the second youngest QB then... Although it's the Browns, so obviously he would start, they haven't had a QB in over a decade, they're desperate for anyone at this point. As for looking better than Goff...

Last week the dude was 6/18 for 93 yards, 0 TD, and 1 INT. That's a 33% completion percentage... For the preseason (all three games) he's 25/49 (51%) with 1 TD and 1 INT... 351 yards. The overwhelming vast majority was coming against backups and scrubs, last week was the first time he went against starters and well.... I've already given you his stat lines.

Goff is 24/32 (75%) 1 TD and 1 INT with 250 yards across 3 games. They both have 1 rushing TD.

I mean if that's how you want, you go for it, but if I'm looking at stat lines (and I am because I haven't watched a single down of the Browns this preseason, because why would I?) I'd say Goff is the better looking QB. Especially given that the bulk of his work is against starters, and the bulk of Kizer's work is against scrubs... But you do you.

sunsetsinWest did that himself...I wish you'd try to stump me...I've always been pretty sharp. You say trashing....Why? What world is this when the truth is trashing a guy...we talk about guys prior incidents and why we don't want them. Josh Gordon...Johnny Manziel...anyone...no one says we're trashing them...just bringing up history. Someone else said they wouldn't know east from west either...A guy in here that I respect...doesn't know the sun "rises" (I put that in quotations, because that appeared to be the word that stumped him)...in the east....and sets in the west....and I always say that for the guys that want ALL smart players...sharp guys...but the main piece, is....is....definitely NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer. I wonder, how could he explain concepts, detailed stuff...but the word "rises" stumped him?

I have a phD in astrophysics dude, I can stump just about anyone with a trivia question assuming you don't google it, it's just knowing what to ask. Here are some trivia questions that my colleagues and I use.. What's the luminosity of Alpha Centauri? How long does it take a shell burning star to fuse silicon into iron (this one is an easy one)? I can also ask some questions on long distance shooting that me and my fellow snipers would grill each other on when I was in the military. It doesn't mean anything though, other than I'm more knowledgeable than the average person in those areas. Just like someone who never graduated high school could easily stump me on a trivia question about car engine parts, because I don't really know much about them. The point of that wasn't to challenge you but to point out that a trivia fact meaning nothing. Imagine I asked you those same questions randomly one day while you were in the middle of working, not only that but working at a new job where you've been brought in to be a supervisor. Now imagine that people felt you should be fired for not knowing right off the top of your head.. Imagine that in your job you're routing trucks to deliver jeans to outlet stores.. What the hell does knowing how the lifespan of a star, or the luminosity of another have to do with routing trucks? Nothing. Goff knows east from west, he happened to have a brain fart after being put on the spot. He assumed it was a trick question and the answer wasn't a simple east or west. He probably didn't know what direction they happened to be facing because he wasn't really thinking about it. I'm not going to shit on someone for not being a land nav expert. It was supposed to be funny, not the end of the world. Goff is plenty smart, he scored excellent on the wonderlic if you're worried about his intelligence (although that test doesn't mean much anyway)...

Dude....Wentz had limited weapons....they went out and got new wrs....His RT, Lane Johnson, a beast I wished we had drafted was out 10 games...oh, guess who struggled? But he was still IN games...won games...made plays to win them too. 3700 yards, 16 tds.....14 ints....in 600 attempts. 600 attempts!!! And guess what, he's looking pretty good in his 2nd year....Experience counts for something.
So Wentz didn't suck....he was average....as a rookie. Just the eyeball test says he's a player, and you'd be hard pressed to find one person that says his future isn't bright.

Wentz was not average as a rookie, he was garbage. The stats show this. When I said that Goff is the only starting QB that was worse than him, I wasn't kidding. Statistically Wentz was the worst starting QB to start 16 games. Off all the starting QB's this year, other than new starters, Goff is the only one that was worse than Wentz.

But Wentz apparently gets excuses even though Goff doesn't. Wentz was given the tools to succeed and he didn't, Goff wasn't given the tools and he didn't either. Both were garbage last year, one wasn't given a fair shake... That was Goff. Why do you think so many people in the football world are saying that this is essentially Goff's rookie year? Because last year was so bad that people are just throwing it away. He literally went to a situation so bad that after the coaching staff was cleaned out everyone said "Well, now we can actually evaluate Jared Goff."... That's pretty bad dude. I never said that Wentz doesn't have a bright future, but he certainly doesn't have the room to grow that Goff does, and he's not as good of a fit in a McVay offense as Goff is. That matters to me, a lot. Fit is very important in the NFL.

Goff is in the same situation right now.....and in the 3rd preseason game, that he virtually lost it all by himself, he looks considerably worse than some 1st year players. And definitely nothing like Wentz last year.

Those plays on Saturday were choke jobs. He has talent...He has coaching...We were moving the ball. Offense looks better than ever....We already lost a great offensive coach because the players under performed. Who, you ask, well Josh McDaniels.....I still remember how the Giants were falling all over themselves to stop the clock. Lets not lose another great mind because we're hoping Fish & Snead got THIS offensive pick correct.....and with there history, you really think that's the case???

I'm about to put "tired of losin" in my avitar

Fisher apparently wanted Wentz, so if you're putting a lot of weight on Fisher not being a good evaluator of talent, you might want to think harder about that. Snead apparently wanted Goff, so I guess we'll see.

Those plays weren't choke jobs and to suggest that Goff, who played a quarter and a half is the reason we lost the game is frankly absurd. To say that Goff has looked lost this preseason is as well, he has looked great. He's been making progressions, reading defenses, making people miss in the pocket, making good throws, and handing the playcalling, perfectly. Not having issues with taking snaps under center (which is still new to him), things like that. There's a lot to be happy about, and he's done a lot of good, far more good than bad. If you're not seeing those things then you're not watching closely enough man, because they've been on display more than the bad.

Wentz RUNS around....diving, sliding...scrambling...
If he's fumbling more than Goff, I see the reason in that....

He does, and often times he leaves better plays on the field as a result. Goff has also escaped the pocket, extended plays when the protection has broken down, found his safety valve for some good YAC, etc. Just because a QB scrambles around more doesn't mean he should be excused for fumbling. If you can't hang onto the ball when you scramble then don't scramble. You're a QB, not a running back, and running back with fumble problems don't last very long.

If you excused Goff half the time you were excusing Wentz here, you'd probably be a lot happier with the pick.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Please don't lock it...pretty pleas, with sugar on top....

If members get at each other's throats that's exactly what will happen.

Besides, I predict that if Goff struggles, and he will, there will be multitudes of "Goff vs. Wentz" or "Goff vs. Mannion" or "Goff is a bust" threads posted to satisfy everyone's need to argue endlessly. That isn't a problem in itself but when it gets ugly in those threads - that's when moderation is needed.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz also played all year so you can't really do that type of math when one guy fumbled 5 times in 7 games

Yes, you can do that type of math. It's exactly what equalizes it. :rolleyes:

P.S. 14 fumbles in 16 games is more fumbles per game than 5 fumbles in 7 games.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
oH WOW Lookie here!

garbage QB Brian Hoyer,
Actually he's not....he gets injured quite a bit....but he's a decent QB. Seriously
We're trending up, they still haven't found their QB of the future... Or their running back... Or receivers..... Or TE... Or O-Line...
Carlos Hyde is pretty good....That old guy...Garcon...is a beast. That track guy at wr looks pretty good. I happened to have liked that TE out of Rice they have too....Don't know about that O-Line...but they handled a top defense from Minnesota pretty well

And the guy knocking the ball out of Goff's hands was 6'5, 280lbs and the reigning defensive rookie of the year. He was also on Goff very quickly, 3 seconds and he was there. It was a quick hitter throw,
I'm pretty sure grip strength isn't affected as much by physical size...I mean a short squatty guy could have much stronger hands than a bigger guy....but I'm sure astro-physicist that you are, you know that...right?
As for looking better than Goff...

Last week the dude was 6/18 for 93 yards, 0 TD, and 1 INT. That's a 33% completion percentage... For the preseason (all three games) he's 25/49 (51%) with 1 TD and 1 INT... 351 yards.
See, you're going off stats...and this is where you are wrong....Look at the games....You have to see the type of throws...the movement skills...or you have no context...only 6 for 18...and if you had watched the games, you'd see a rookie QB, throwing the ball downfield...scanning the field....looking better than a 2nd year player..

but if I'm looking at stat lines (and I am because I haven't watched a single down of the Browns this preseason, because why would I?) I'd say Goff is the better looking QB.
I watch a lot of football....I like football...I took a bunch of science classes too, but I still like football more....So, I've seen Goff....and I've seen almost all the others....Mitch Trubisky is really something. And I've seen Kizer...That DB from Michigan is something too...And...IMO....Kizer looks better...he throws the ball downfield...he throws wr's open...he throws in tight windows...and he can run...look at yards per attempt...yards per completion..
What's the luminosity of Alpha Centauri? How long does it take a shell burning star to fuse silicon into iron (this one is an easy one)
Look at you...well, if they had asked Goff that...I wouldn't be surprised at his expression. That's not average trivia...like where does the sun rise? Common stuff...I remember hearing about luminosity...something like a candle light measurement...LOL...never heard of the shell burning star though...so, you got me...
Wentz was not average as a rookie, he was garbage. The stats show this.
Again...Wentz threw the ball 600+ times...you put any rookie stats against his...ANY....and he stacks up pretty nicely...mainly because his interceptions were so low...And I mean go through history...
Similarly.....in 7 games, put Goff's numbers against any....and he's still one of the lowest ranked rookies EVER.

I'm a football guy....that's what I do....that's why I'm on here...The way I broke down those 3 drives is
Philip Rivers just drove down on our mix-matched defense....in 5 plays....so, our offense needed to come out. And McVay scripts a perfect drive...even missing targets, we're checking down and moving the ball. On that 3rd down play...he has to get rid of the ball, look around, QB's are throwing passes in .33 seconds....McVay has such a route called...Goff is looking for Higbee...he is...and he holds a ball on the 10 yard line about 3 seconds...when there are guys open at .5 seconds....Why isn't he trying to get rid of the ball? Processes info slowly....
Next drive....starts out with a safe flat pass....then we drive...with runs....his next pass...plenty of time in the pocket..and he just throws a duck. Wobbler...over throw....some on the radio say that, at practice, that play goes to where he threw the ball, which was a lil deeper...Sammy W, broke off the route a lil...didn't run it as deep...But, Jared is staring at him and should see this...I still say the ball slipped.

That's losing game mentality stuff. Choking. Our 1st team offense...given a chance to pick up our depleted defense....drops the ball.

The next drive was just for the O-Line...Goff wasn't asked or trusted to throw...and we settle for a field goal...in a preseason game...down 21 to nothing...

I didn't start commenting in this thread about Wentz and Goff....It's over....We have Goff...What are we gonna do to fix him? but I don't mind standing up for Wentz.

If you asked any GM...a football guy...what would you trade for Carson Wentz? You'd get a certain draft round type pick....then ask them what would they trade for Jared Goff....I think it might surprise a lot of you....

bluecoconuts

Legend
Actually he's not....he gets injured quite a bit....but he's a decent QB. Seriously

He's not a long term answer at QB and he's not really a viable starting QB right now.

Carlos Hyde is pretty good....That old guy...Garcon...is a beast. That track guy at wr looks pretty good. I happened to have liked that TE out of Rice they have too....Don't know about that O-Line...but they handled a top defense from Minnesota pretty well

The fact that you can't name any of them tells you that they're not blue chip players/prospects. You can't build around any of those players, Hyde hasn't been able to play a full season yet, Garcon is too old, and the rest are just unknown. There's some talent, they're NFL players, but they're not blue chip players to build around.

I'm pretty sure grip strength isn't affected as much by physical size...I mean a short squatty guy could have much stronger hands than a bigger guy....but I'm sure astro-physicist that you are, you know that...right?

Astrophysics isn't biology and people aren't celestial objects, so..... The entire point is that you're placing unrealistic expectations on a QB expecting them to hang onto that ball when they're throwing the ball. If you're going to critique someone you do so on things that can fix. You critique Goff for not sensing the pressure and getting rid of the ball, you critique the O-Line for getting beaten so fast. When you critique a QB because they could hold the ball with one hand while a very big, very strong, and very fast guy puts all of his weight and strength into knocking the ball away then your argument just gets dismissed.

See, you're going off stats...and this is where you are wrong....Look at the games....You have to see the type of throws...the movement skills...or you have no context...only 6 for 18...and if you had watched the games, you'd see a rookie QB, throwing the ball downfield...scanning the field....looking better than a 2nd year player..

I'm saying that stats don't back up your argument very good, they suggest the complete opposite. The dude looked downright terrible this past weekend. Again if you think he's so great then go watch the Browns, nobody is stopping you. But you're on a Rams forum telling everyone that our QB is garbage and that every single QB, including a lot of backups are better than him. You should probably expect to get some resistance there. The entire point of ROD is so there was a place for Rams fans to gather together and be free to be as big of a homer as they want, to get away from people who just want to trash the team constantly. This type of shit right here is why ROD was formed, to avoid needing to justify why we think our QB is better than some rookie who hasn't done anything and when he finally started against starting level talent in the preseason he folded.

I watch a lot of football....I like football...I took a bunch of science classes too, but I still like football more....So, I've seen Goff....and I've seen almost all the others....Mitch Trubisky is really something. And I've seen Kizer...That DB from Michigan is something too...And...IMO....Kizer looks better...he throws the ball downfield...he throws wr's open...he throws in tight windows...and he can run...look at yards per attempt...yards per completion..

Then go be a football scout or something, I don't know dude. I haven't seen these players play so I'm not going to comment on them, but given that Goff doesn't look anything near what you describe, I'm not so inclined to take your word for it, no offense.

Look at you...well, if they had asked Goff that...I wouldn't be surprised at his expression. That's not average trivia...like where does the sun rise? Common stuff...I remember hearing about luminosity...something like a candle light measurement...LOL...never heard of the shell burning star though...so, you got me...

I wouldn't expect Goff to know those answers either. There are all sorts of tricky little brain teasers that are common sense and yet it'll take adults to answer. That's what happens as you age, you learn different things, and your brain prioritizes what it feels are important and what it feels aren't. I'm good at math and I can remember a lot of science facts because my brain prioritizes that information since I'm using it a lot more. Goff obviously was prioritizing other things, likely football. It's not, and never has been, a good indication of someones intelligence or even their education. I've had a brain fart about an actor in a movie I saw as I'm walking through the parking lot to my car from the theater. That's just how the brain works.

Again...Wentz threw the ball 600+ times...you put any rookie stats against his...ANY....and he stacks up pretty nicely...mainly because his interceptions were so low...And I mean go through history...
Similarly.....in 7 games, put Goff's numbers against any....and he's still one of the lowest ranked rookies EVER.

He was still the worst starting QB to start 16 games last year, and he was only slightly better than Goff even though he was put into a much better situation. So he passed the ball a lot, that's the Eagles offense, he was also dinking and dunking so much that early in the season Philly sports writers were ragging on him over it. There was an article posted earlier, the longer the season went on the worse Wentz got, and there's plenty of news articles showing that.

And McVay scripts a perfect drive...even missing targets, we're checking down and moving the ball. On that 3rd down play...he has to get rid of the ball, look around, QB's are throwing passes in .33 seconds....McVay has such a route called...Goff is looking for Higbee...he is...and he holds a ball on the 10 yard line about 3 seconds...when there are guys open at .5 seconds....Why isn't he trying to get rid of the ball? Processes info slowly....

I honestly can't really tell what you're talking about here.. McVay scripted missing targets? What? Here's how the drive went:

First play: 1st and 10 from the 25: Run to the right side

Second play: 2nd and 8 from the 23: Pass to Woods. You very clearly see Goff go through his progressions here as he scans the field from the left side (nobody open) to the right side where he hits Woods. From the snap to the throw is 3 seconds, that includes the drop back and going through progressions. From the end of his drop back to throwing is about a second and half. Processed that pretty quickly for a nice gain. Looks like Woods might have been the third look there, maybe second. Definitely not the primary, seems more likely to be the 3rd look though. First down.

Third play: 1st and 10 from the 43: Run to the right side.

Fourth Play: 2nd and 12 from the 40. Pass to Brown, his checkdown option. Goff takes the snap, drops back and there's nothing on the field. Goes through progressions and less than a second after a free rusher comes in from the front. Side steps the pass rusher, senses the pressure behind him making that rusher miss (two chargers players on the ground now because Goff avoided them, and steps up, finds a gap in the pocket and escapes, gets Brown free because the Charger covering him moves to get Goff, and gives Brown the ball with a lot of green in front of him down the sideline turning what should have been a sack into a first down. That right there is something you can't teach, that's what makes Goff potentially special. That's what separates the good QB's from the elite QB's. First down.

Fifth play: 1st and 10 from the 39. Pass to Higbee down the seam. Higbee is the best option here and breaks free. Goff fits the ball into a tight window where the defender has to interfere with Higbee to force the drop. Higbee probably could have still come down with it though. Good throw, good read. Pass interference on the defense, first down.

Sixth play: 1st and 10 from the 11. Designed roll out to Everett to let him go one on one with a defender, hopefully make him miss and get some good YAC. Everett can't get around the corner and turn up field or beat his man, minimal gain, but correct read. Everett was his only option there, if he's not there Goff either throws it away or tries to run himself. This play he either had Everett or nobody as there was no room to run. Good throw regardless.

Seventh play: 2nd and 7 from the 8... I think this is the play you're talking about where you say "he holds a ball on the 10 yard line about 3 seconds...when there are guys open at .5 seconds" so we'll dissect it further. Ball is snapped. I'm going off of a condensed video of the game with YouTube controls, so the timestamps are a little iffy and I can't do much between seconds other than estimate.

Ball is snapped at the 2:32 mark and reaches Goff at the 2:33 mark (shotgun), Goff begins to drop back at 2:33 mark. At this point the furthest the receivers have gone up field is Higbee crossing the line of scrimmage, rest of the receivers are still behind it running forward. Goff is looking to the left side, neither Watkins or the other receiver on the left side (I can't tell if it's Cooper or McRoberts) are open or going to be open anytime soon. Cooper is jammed and the corner is playing Watkins perfectly, the left side of the field is gone. Goff looks to the center of the field and see's Higbee covered. The clock ticks to the 2:34 mark, Goff has been scanning for a second. He sets his feet and throws the ball high over Higbee away from danger. The ball hits the ground, and the clock rolls over to the 2:36 mark (passed the 2:35 mark right as the ball crosses over the end zone), play is dead.

Goff held onto the ball for a whopping 1-1.5 seconds. He had two reads on the left side of the field, and both were gone. He then threw the ball away. That's likely the call, "If your first two reads aren't there, throw it high over Higbee. No risk of interception, no risk of intentional grounding. Goff had a pretty clean pocket, and if the play called for him to scan the entire field, as we saw with his first passing play, I'd bet he would have done it.

"But Woods was open underneath!" many have said... Is he though? I mean yeah, he's should be able to catch it, but is it a TD? My guess is no. There's a Chargers Linebacker covering Woods, you see him pass Higbee off to the two safety's in the middle. Woods can make that catch but he's probably going to get absolutely crushed as a result and I mean crushed, the linebacker is already moving in to take his head off if Goff throws to him. Brown isn't open on the right side either, Goff could have tried to squeeze it in, but it's more likely a pick six. Goff made the smart play, getting your receivers killed in a preseason game is just reckless.

After dissecting that play there is no really good option for Goff to throw to, the coverage is perfect, and it makes sense, Chargers were playing to the pass there, and dropped extra guys to cover. Goff makes the correct read on that play again, makes a smart veteran QB move and gets rid of the ball to try again.

Eighth play: 3rd and 7 from the the 8. That play has been dissected enough.

Drive over.

I'm not seeing a QB that can't make progressions, holds onto the ball too long, misses open receivers, and can't sense pressure. I see a QB that scans the entire field, gets rid of the ball quickly, finds his escape valve and lets them get some separating, senses pressure to escape and allow the play to develop, and takes what the defense gives him like a smart veteran QB.

Next drive....starts out with a safe flat pass....then we drive...with runs....his next pass...plenty of time in the pocket..and he just throws a duck. Wobbler...over throw....some on the radio say that, at practice, that play goes to where he threw the ball, which was a lil deeper...Sammy W, broke off the route a lil...didn't run it as deep...But, Jared is staring at him and should see this...I still say the ball slipped.

Nobody liked the pass to Watkins.. Correct read, horrible throw. I don't like it, you don't like it, McVay doesn't like it, Goff doesn't like it. That shit happens sometimes, no QB is going to throw 100% of their passes perfectly. Better he does it now than when it counts. Maybe it was a miscommunication, maybe it slipped, Goff took the blame for it, and so I'll listen to him. Bad throw, shit happens sometimes. There isn't an excuse for that throw and nobody is making one. It was a bad throw. He made the correct read though and that's what's important. Goff's arm talent has never worried anybody, it was if he could get the mental part down, that's what's hard. The physical differences between the elite QB's everyone else isn't that much. There are QB's in college, maybe even one in high school that can throw a ball better than Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. What made/makes them elite is the mental aspect of it. Do I like the throw? Not a chance. Do I like the read? You bet I do, it was a good read. This is what preseason is for.

That's losing game mentality stuff. Choking. Our 1st team offense...given a chance to pick up our depleted defense....drops the ball.

The next drive was just for the O-Line...Goff wasn't asked or trusted to throw...and we settle for a field goal...in a preseason game...down 21 to nothing...

Goff doesn't call plays. McVay took out the starting line O-Line that last play by the way, he always takes the starting line out the series before he takes out Goff, I assume so the backups get some experience and chemistry with the rest of the ones, since they'll be rotating in and out as the season and games go on.

I didn't start commenting in this thread about Wentz and Goff....It's over....We have Goff...What are we gonna do to fix him? but I don't mind standing up for Wentz.

Be nice if you cared to stand up for our own QB half as much as you do for another teams QB, just sayin...

If you asked any GM...a football guy...what would you trade for Carson Wentz? You'd get a certain draft round type pick....then ask them what would they trade for Jared Goff....I think it might surprise a lot of you....

I think they would both fetch around the same price, it'll depend on the team and the type of offense they run. Atlanta? They'd want Goff. Seattle? They'd want Wentz. Schemes matter, and our scheme doesn't fit Wentz anymore, just like last year our scheme didn't fit Goff. Now it does.

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
He was better than Goff last year , coaching is the main reason why

Well he wasn't very good, playing better than Goff did last year isn't saying a lot.

He looks like he can be good to me, I see a lot of very positive traits and things from Goff that makes me excited. So do a lot of others, so do the coaching staff it seems. Look I'm not all about Goff because he's Goff, I'm all about Goff because he's our QB. I was all about Bradford when he was our QB as well. If Wentz was our QB, I'd be all about him as well. There aren't many Rams QB's that I'm not all about, and those are usually the ones like Keenum or Foles, that I know aren't long term solutions. Goff I think can be one, and I'm rooting hard for him. I think he has a lot of traits that can make him a very good franchise QB

All Goff needs to be is a very good QB. He doesn't ned to be a top 5 guy. Some people will argue that he needs to be because of the trade to move up but that's a weak case IMO. If he is considered a top 7-12 guy that's great.

I like Hoyer too........I was shocked the Browns didn't keep him. At least as a back up.

Wentz wasn't scanning much of anything last year, he was deer in the headlights plenty and went to his check down probably more than anyone in the NFL. Even the local media was talking about it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Garcon is too old,
Looked like a HOF'er then the other night...Stats from last year say he's far from finished...

But you're on a Rams forum telling everyone that our QB is garbage and that every single QB, including a lot of backups are better than him.
I never said garbage...probably said looks terrible...which is garbage...so I'll give you that. And he looks like the worst starting QB in the league....well, he's looking better than the Jets and Buffalo
This type of crap right here is why ROD was formed, to avoid needing to justify why we think our QB is better than some rookie who hasn't done anything and when he finally started against starting level talent in the preseason he folded.
I thought it was formed to discuss opinions about the Rams...and we're going off preseason stuff...so yeah, some rookies look better...Some would say our backup has looked better.

He was still the worst starting QB to start 16 games last year,
No true....not sure why you want to promote this narrative...No where near the top but on various rankings he's not at the bottom. By every metric, that's OUR QB Goff...but he only started 7 games.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galler...ers-dak-prescott-drew-brees-cam-newton-010617
http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/stats/expanded
Goff held onto the ball for a whopping 1-1.5 seconds.
I counted almost 3....I slowed my DVR down...and watched the clock...not only should he have seen/sensed/felt pressure...he should have gotten rid of the ball. Still hold ball too long...STILL
Goff doesn't call plays. McVay took out the starting line O-Line that last play by the way, he always takes the starting line out the series before he takes out Goff, I assume so the backups get some experience and chemistry with the rest of the ones, since they'll be rotating in and out as the season and games go on.
I know he doesn't call plays...probably still doesn't audible too....My point, McVay didn't TRUST him to call a pass play....backup line my ass...He didn't trust him to execute a pass play.

Be nice if you cared to stand up for our own QB half as much as you do for another teams QB, just sayin...
I don't stand up for someone when I'm giving my opinion...I tell it like I see it...you stand up for him...We all saw the first quarter.

I think they would both fetch around the same price,
Another un-true statement....Since you prefaced the comment with "I think"....I'll assume you really don't know...but I doubt it...

I woulda commented on a bunch of your stuff....but just stuck to football...cause again...that's why I'm here...You're the second guy to suggest I should watch another team...root for another team...I'll return the favor....I'm a lil tired of fans that accept losing...like it's cool...since YOU like rooting for any type of performance...YOU like teams whether they lose or win...YOU accept poor QB play...perhaps you should go root for Yale...or Harvard.. or Cal..or some other team that accepts yearly losing...and all the fans can talk about how cool the bad players are...

Participation trophies are over...time to get some winners in horns.

Badfinger

RamStalk Refugee
Name
-
You know...you use...ellipses way...too...much. But...besides that you...should go root...for another team if...you really dislike Go...ff so...much that you...can't stop...unfairly... criti...sizing him...all..the...time...And despite...your claim...to be a body...language...expert...i don't believe...he is scared...or a...bad...leader...

bluecoconuts

Legend
Looked like a HOF'er then the other night...Stats from last year say he's far from finished...

He had a much better QB last year too... I don't think that his career is done, I'm saying he's too old. He's 31, you don't build around a 31 year old. He's there to be a veteran presence, and he'll be a good teacher and mentor to the younger receivers... But he's not their receiver for the future like we see with Kupp or possibly even Watkins.

I never said garbage...probably said looks terrible...which is garbage...so I'll give you that. And he looks like the worst starting QB in the league....well, he's looking better than the Jets and Buffalo

You don't have to literally say garbage to say that our QB is garbage. You're saying he looks like the worst starting QB in the league, meaning he's 32nd right off the bat, including behind a rookie that got his first action against starters in the preseason and did not look good. Those are your words man, don't back away from them, you're trashing our QB saying he's the worst QB in the league, saying that rookies are better than him and have a better understanding of the game than he does. You don't like Goff, I get it, you wanted Wentz from the start (your vote in the poll before the draft says that) and you can't accept we went with Goff. It's just looks like cognitive dissonance now, you felt he was bad then, and you want to be right so you're looking for any little thing to fit into that schism that Goff=bad, and anything that fits into the schism that Wentz=good. It's reading like you want to be right at the cost of our team and our QB's success.

I thought it was formed to discuss opinions about the Rams...and we're going off preseason stuff...so yeah, some rookies look better...Some would say our backup has looked better.

Nope, I'll defer to X on that one, but when I got here it was always a place for homers to be homers, and if I'm recalling correctly X has said he started it because he was tired of people shitting on the Rams and constantly needing to defend them from other Rams fans, but I could be remembering wrong, you'll need to go to him for that. I know when I showed up that's what this place was about, which is why I chose to post here.

No true....not sure why you want to promote this narrative...No where near the top but on various rankings he's not at the bottom. By every metric, that's OUR QB Goff...but he only started 7 games.
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/galler...ers-dak-prescott-drew-brees-cam-newton-010617
http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/stats/expanded

I'm not talking about power rankings, those are just objective anyway, I mean statistically. Other than the first three games he was very very bad. A lot of people remember hearing all about how great Wentz was the first three games and then nothing. So people are thinking that Wentz must be good, but he wasn't. Statistically he was not a good QB, not anywhere near a good QB. To suggest he is otherwise is blatantly false.

I counted almost 3....I slowed my DVR down...and watched the clock...not only should he have seen/sensed/felt pressure...he should have gotten rid of the ball. Still hold ball too long...STILL

You counted wrong, check it yourself. Ball is snapped at the 2:32 mark (if you pause it right when the ball is directly under the center (as he's snapping it) the clock is 2:32. Pause it when Goff gets the ball and begins scanning the field, that's the 2:33 mark. Goff is starting his throw at the 2:34 mark, and the ball is out of his hand before the 2:35 mark.

It is physically impossible for him to have held the ball for 3 seconds.

View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_0SmtX8MuQqTzVBTVd6YjlRQjg/view

I know he doesn't call plays...probably still doesn't audible too....My point, McVay didn't TRUST him to call a pass play....backup line my ass...He didn't trust him to execute a pass play.

McVay has pulled the starting O-Line the series before pulling Goff in every preseason game this year. Why wouldn't McVay trust Goff to throw the ball in a preseason game? The games don't count, if there's ever a time you watch your QB make a big mistake and say "Go out there and sling it" it's the preseason. Goff has audibled out of plays before, so obviously McVay has given him the green light for that if he's sees something. That was likely McVay testing some run work, again, that's what preseason is for. To test different concepts and see what works and what doesn't work, see what's going to make it and be a play for a game and what needs to go back to the drawing board. There is absolutely nothing that suggests McVay didn't trust Goff and that's why he called run plays. What's the point of sending him out there then? Could have just put in Mannion instead. How do we know it's not that he saw Brown was getting some good runs in and he wanted to keep that going, give the O-Line some run work and let Brown get more touches, since Gurley's gonna be our starter in the season? Brown was running well and getting yards running to the right, something that doesn't happen very much.

McVay took out the entire O-Line other than Jamon Brown and Rob Havenstein, and then called 8 run plays in a row, 2 to the left, and then 6 to the right. If McVay was sending a message about trust, it wasn't to Goff.

I don't stand up for someone when I'm giving my opinion...I tell it like I see it...you stand up for him...We all saw the first quarter.

If all you see is Goff is bad and every other QB is better, then I don't think you're seeing it right. You're damn right I stand up for Goff though, just like I did for Bradford and just like I'll do with our next QB of the future, if that's next year or 15 years from now, it wont matter.

Another un-true statement....Since you prefaced the comment with "I think"....I'll assume you really don't know...but I doubt it...

Nobody knows what they'd fetch, but they're both former first round picks that went in the top two that showed potential in college and had a very rocky rookie year. It would depend entirely on the team for what they'd be willing to give up for them, but I think they'd probably fetch about the same amount. There hasn't been nearly enough time to make a reflection on their abilities in the league, it takes more than a year. For every Peyton Manning there's 100 RG3's.

I woulda commented on a bunch of your stuff....but just stuck to football...cause again...that's why I'm here...You're the second guy to suggest I should watch another team...root for another team...I'll return the favor....I'm a lil tired of fans that accept losing...like it's cool...since YOU like rooting for any type of performance...YOU like teams whether they lose or win...YOU accept poor QB play...perhaps you should go root for Yale...or Harvard.. or Cal..or some other team that accepts yearly losing...and all the fans can talk about how cool the bad players are...

I don't watch college football, I'll stick with my Rams good or bad.

Participation trophies are over...time to get some winners in horns.

See ya when the weathers nicer then.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Wentz also played all year so you can't really do that type of math when one guy fumbled 5 times in 7 games

I'm pretty sure it was demonstrated Wentz also had a higher fumbling percentage.

All the energy that you put into Wentz love. Man. I'm just a Rams homer. I don't have time to love players from other teams.

But Wentz apparently gets excuses even though Goff doesn't. Wentz was given the tools to succeed and he didn't, Goff wasn't given the tools and he didn't either. Both were garbage last year, one wasn't given a fair shake... That was Goff. Why do you think so many people in the football world are saying that this is essentially Goff's rookie year? Because last year was so bad that people are just throwing it away. He literally went to a situation so bad that after the coaching staff was cleaned out everyone said "Well, now we can actually evaluate Jared Goff."... That's pretty bad dude. I never said that Wentz doesn't have a bright future, but he certainly doesn't have the room to grow that Goff does, and he's not as good of a fit in a McVay offense as Goff is. That matters to me, a lot. Fit is very important in the NFL.

Boom! That about sums it up for me. Good back and forth though, you two. I look forward to a great year from our man, Jared Goff.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He had a much better QB last year too... I don't think that his career is done, I'm saying he's too old. He's 31, you don't build around a 31 year old. He's there to be a veteran presence, and he'll be a good teacher and mentor to the younger receivers... But he's not their receiver for the future like we see with Kupp or possibly even Watkins.
31 isn't old for some players....by the looks of it, Pierre Garcon is one of them. He IS a veteran presence...But he's a leader by EXAMPLE. Dude was straight ballin the other night...showing he hasn't lost much, if anything at all...Cousin's has had a couple of great years....Lets see how he does without Garcon and D-Jax.
You don't build around the age of players...you build around PLAYERS...whatever their age is...

You don't have to literally say garbage to say that our QB is garbage. You're saying he looks like the worst starting QB in the league, meaning he's 32nd right off the bat, including behind a rookie that got his first action against starters in the preseason and did not look good. Those are your words man, don't back away from them, you're trashing our QB saying he's the worst QB in the league, saying that rookies are better than him and have a better understanding of the game than he does. You don't like Goff, I get it, you wanted Wentz from the start (your vote in the poll before the draft says that) and you can't accept we went with Goff.
I'm not....I have seen one other QB look as bad as Goff did in that first quarter....in the 3rd game of preseason....the trial run for the starters....and it wasn't Kizer. He literally looked the worst in one quarter this past week. I didn't see one highly drafted rookie perform that poorly last week. And 2 turnovers...in a quarter of football..is terrible. It loses games. I'm not backing away...I wouldn't...It was true.
It's just looks like cognitive dissonance now, you felt he was bad then, and you want to be right so you're looking for any little thing to fit into that schism that Goff=bad, and anything that fits into the schism that Wentz=good. It's reading like you want to be right at the cost of our team and our QB's success.
I didn't feel he was bad....I thought he was the worst of the choices. I didn't know he was bad until I watched game after game. Still late with throws...not marrying his eyes with his feet fast enough...staring down targets...weak long ball...

I don't wanna be right...it's not about who's right...it's about, what game are you watching?

He performed well against the Raiders...probably one of the worst defenses in the league...But I still gave him props...Good job...I wanted to see it again...consistent productions...instead...turnovers.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-data-not-predicting-success-los-angeles-rams
Under the hood in FPI are two offensive strength predictions for each team: one assuming the starting quarterback is playing and the other assuming the backup is playing. Both measurements incorporate expected points added per play and are derived from a combination of the team's offensive performance the year before, a version of the quarterback's Total QBRhistory and a team's Vegas win total.

With 32 teams and two quarterbacks apiece, that means 64 theoretical offenses are ranked. The Rams with Jared Goff under center? They're behind the Colts with Scott Tolzien, the Jaguars with Chad Henne and the Jets with Bryce Petty. That's right: The Rams with Goff are predicted to have the 64th-best offense among the group -- dead last.

I'm not talking about power rankings, those are just objective anyway, I mean statistically. Other than the first three games he was very very bad. A lot of people remember hearing all about how great Wentz was the first three games and then nothing. So people are thinking that Wentz must be good, but he wasn't. Statistically he was not a good QB, not anywhere near a good QB. To suggest he is otherwise is blatantly false
http://www.rosstucker.com/podcasts/ross-tucker-football-podcast/
https://ramblinfan.com/2017/08/12/los-angeles-rams-greg-cosell-analyzes-goffs-2016-tape/
Jared Goff has a lot of concerns as we sort of go forward and it will be interesting to see what Sean McVay can do. I mean he has a number of issues that jumped out which I imagine were true on second and third down as well. He had footwork and balance issues in the pocket. He was very slow to see things and isolate where to go with the ball within the structure and timing of the route concepts. It was evident he just couldn’t see things real clearly. I think there are some questions when you watch the tape about his toughness in the pocket and his willingness to stand and deliver.
2nd link...they talk about preseason....go to 12:30....listen
These are polled NFL execs...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...executives-favor-carson-wentz-over-jared-goff

Everyone I've spoken with says he held the ball a tick too long...but you
https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL...ith-QB-Jared-Goff/1211503969359/?spt=rrs&or=6

Even his coach....so, yeah, Havenstein needs to make a block...Goff needs to get rid of the ball...Sorta like Matt Ryan can't take a sack like he did in the Super Bowl...

https://billypenn.com/2017/08/29/which-nfl-starting-qbs-would-you-take-over-carson-wentz/
This is what the local media think of Wentz....where have you heard about ANYONE talking about paying Goff? Where has anyone said he looks like a franchise QB?

You counted wrong, check it yourself. Ball is snapped at the 2:32 mark (if you pause it right when the ball is directly under the center (as he's snapping it) the clock is 2:32. Pause it when Goff gets the ball and begins scanning the field, that's the 2:33 mark. Goff is starting his throw at the 2:34 mark, and the ball is out of his hand before the 2:35 mark.

It is physically impossible for him to have held the ball for 3 seconds.

View: https://youtu.be/lTw9C4f8TJ4

He gets the ball at 8:22 (Game time)...he gets hit around 8:19.....I said a lil less than 3 seconds....2 seconds is plenty of time for QB's to make a play in the redzone. Where windows open and close quickly.

This really made me laugh that you would argue that...that's obvious.

Why wouldn't McVay trust Goff to throw the ball in a preseason game? The games don't count, if there's ever a time you watch your QB make a big mistake and say "Go out there and sling it" it's the preseason.
You'd have to ask McVay....Seriously...when have we EVER had 8 running plays in preseason?...A time when you readily admit, is the time to work on things. I can only conclude it was to restore a sense of confidence....but not risk him throwing another pass...a horrible pass...that has us here today, talking about our QB...playing like garbage in the dress rehearsal game...getting pulled early.

There is absolutely nothing that suggests McVay didn't trust Goff and that's why he called run plays. What's the point of sending him out there then?
See above...semblance of confidence.

You're damn right I stand up for Goff though, just like I did for Bradford
You were right in standing up for Bradford....could be right for standing up for Goff. Totally different scenarios...Bradford never played as bad...Bradford had injury issues.

Nobody knows what they'd fetch, but they're both former first round picks that went in the top two that showed potential in college
Nobody knows? You're gonna stick with that....Ok. Guys in here are almost ready to replace Goff with Mannion, but you don't know what Goff will fetch on the open market??? What do you think Mannion would bring on the open market then? I can guarantee you if Wentz was offered up for a trade...the talks would start with a couple of picks...one of them being a HIGH first round pick.

Oh yeah...one showed potential in their first season playing in the NFL....The other has some experts...not me...EXPERTS...mentioning the "B" word....rhymes with "MUST"

All the energy that you put into Wentz love. Man. I'm just a Rams homer. I don't have time to love players from other teams.
All energy in Wentz love...naw...this is energy from RAMS LOVE....And a hate for losing...I can tell a bunch of you guys don't really watch the game of football. Just love the Rams...the players...Hey, I do it too....Brian Quick is still my guy...got love for Cook and Kendricks....not mad at G-Rob either...TJ Mac....Jenkins...hell, I didn't mind McLeod...but knew we could do better. Sorta where I'm at now....We can do better

Last edited:

bluecoconuts

Legend
31 isn't old for some players....by the looks of it, Pierre Garcon is one of them. He IS a veteran presence...But he's a leader by EXAMPLE. Dude was straight ballin the other night...showing he hasn't lost much, if anything at all...Cousin's has had a couple of great years....Lets see how he does without Garcon and D-Jax.
You don't build around the age of players...you build around PLAYERS...whatever their age is...

Build through the draft man, why do you think they're loading up on draft picks? The 49ers aren't building around Garcon, by the time they get the rebuild going and they're ready to contend he's going to be looking at 35 more than 30. Think about it, assume next year they get their QB, so he's 32 that players rookie year... 33 his second year when he should take a nice step forward, 34 when you would expect him to be ready to contend (if the team is up to par).. By that point if Garcon is still their primary receiver, that's not good. Look at Larry Fitzgerald, he's far better than Garcon is but he's 33, and on his last contract like Garcon likely is. Arizona isn't trying to build around him, they're using him as a complementary piece as he goes out.

I'm not....I have seen one other QB look as bad as Goff did in that first quarter....in the 3rd game of preseason....the trial run for the starters....and it wasn't Kizer. He literally looked the worst in one quarter this past week. I didn't see one highly drafted rookie perform that poorly last week. And 2 turnovers...in a quarter of football..is terrible. It loses games. I'm not backing away...I wouldn't...It was true.

Small sample size, overall this preseason Goff looks leaps and bounds better than last year, he looks like he can play in this league. I see a lot of very positive things from Goff and a lot of things he needs to work on. He's a young kid who is going to need some time to grow. That's what everyone said about him, why people are suddenly shocked I don't know. But there's a lot of good there, more good than bad, a lot more.. Goff isn't going to be losing us a bunch of games, will he make a costly mistake in a game that we lose? Probably, and our defense will too, a receiver will drop a pass in a tight game, that happens in football. McVay will make mistakes as well with bad gameplanning and bad playcalling. That's football. It's a team effort, we win as Rams and we lose as Rams.

http://www.rosstucker.com/podcasts/ross-tucker-football-podcast/
2nd link...they talk about preseason....go to 12:30....listen
These are polled NFL execs...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...executives-favor-carson-wentz-over-jared-goff

Everyone I've spoken with says he held the ball a tick too long...but you
https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/NFL...ith-QB-Jared-Goff/1211503969359/?spt=rrs&or=6

Even his coach....so, yeah, Havenstein needs to make a block...Goff needs to get rid of the ball...Sorta like Matt Ryan can't take a sack like he did in the Super Bowl...

https://billypenn.com/2017/08/29/which-nfl-starting-qbs-would-you-take-over-carson-wentz/
This is what the local media think of Wentz....where have you heard about ANYONE talking about paying Goff? Where has anyone said he looks like a franchise QB?

I'm honestly not going to even pretend like I'm going to read all of that or listen to any of it.

Honestly I don't care what a failed NFL lineman thinks, the link to that executive poll was taken in March of 2016 and they said that it was only a margin of 1 or 2 and they had trouble getting people to answer... But again, it's taken before either were drafted. That doesn't mean anything to me at this point. Again, scheme matters, a lot.

The second link, McVay doesn't say Goff held onto the ball too long, the author says he does by just a tick... But they're talking about the fumble, I thought you were talking about the play before where he threw it away, hence why I dissected that play.. Which play are you talking about exactly? If you're talking about the fumble, yeah I would have liked Goff to throw the ball away a little quicker there, but I'm pretty sure I know what he was doing. Watch Higbee go over the middle towards the end zone. Goff recognizes that he's going to be open for a TD in a second, and lets him cross over the linebacker before going to throw the ball. Right as he starts to throw is when he gets hit and coughs up the football... If he's not going to Higbee then it's Brown who sneaks out. Either way there was nobody open until that last possible second, every other receiver is jammed or covered. I would have liked him to throw the ball away at that point, but it looks like he saw something developing. Bosa is just on him so quickly. If a defender is on the QB before the check down can get himself open, then the O-Line fucked up somewhere. This and the situation where Matt Ryan took the sack are extremely different, it's apples or oranges... Also LaFleur talks about how great he looks and how he's doing little things like showing up to watch rookies during rookie mini camp when the author poses the question of him being a viable franchise QB. That's probably the closest you get, but you'll notice there's a lot of praise for Goff's leadership there.

I don't know why you'd even link a fan poll... Wentz over Stafford? Fucking really? Come on, man..... Wentz wasn't better or even as good as the other three QB's on there (Luck, Stafford, Mariota for those curious), a fan poll doesn't mean anything..

He gets the ball at 8:22 (Game time)...he gets hit around 8:19.....I said a lil less than 3 seconds....2 seconds is plenty of time for QB's to make a play in the redzone. Where windows open and close quickly.

This really made me laugh that you would argue that...that's obvious.

I thought you were talking about the previous play. On that play he does hang onto the ball longer. Probably part in due to the play previously to be honest. Tell me what window is open before he gets hit (because there isn't one, Brown gets open right as he gets hit, and Higbee is the same thing, assuming there's not a defender outside of the screen that would cover Higbee, meaning that Brown is the only receiver that he had open, and he wasn't open in time for Goff to hit him.

You'd have to ask McVay....Seriously...when have we EVER had 8 running plays in preseason?...A time when you readily admit, is the time to work on things. I can only conclude it was to restore a sense of confidence....but not risk him throwing another pass...a horrible pass...that has us here today, talking about our QB...playing like garbage in the dress rehearsal game...getting pulled early.

There's zero risk of him throwing another pass in preseason other than the injury risk that you have on every play. There's also zero proof saying that there's a deeper meaning and that he was pulled early. McVay even said he would have liked to get him more work to bounce back, but he had a plan in place and stuck to it. At this point you're just making up things to fit your narrative and again, blast your own QB. That's pretty weak man.

See above...semblance of confidence.

Then he would have given him easy completions to do, not have him hand it off. Makes no sense.

You were right in standing up for Bradford....could be right for standing up for Goff. Totally different scenarios...Bradford never played as bad...Bradford had injury issues.

Bradford had plenty of bad moments, including the injury concerns which is worse in a lot of ways. Regardless I'm not blindly defending Goff simply because he's our QB, I'm defending him because you can see the growth and the potential... And because I'm not stupid enough to want to ditch a QB after a single season or because I wanted someone else in the draft. Before we traded up I was all on team Wentz, in fact when we traded up I wanted Wentz.., Largely because I hadn't watched Goff, and then I did... And the more I watched the more I liked, and pretty soon I wanted Goff over Wentz. I can see Goff display those traits that got him drafted, you don't. That's fine, but it doesn't mean it's not there.

Nobody knows? You're gonna stick with that....Ok. Guys in here are almost ready to replace Goff with Mannion, but you don't know what Goff will fetch on the open market??? What do you think Mannion would bring on the open market then? I can guarantee you if Wentz was offered up for a trade...the talks would start with a couple of picks...one of them being a HIGH first round pick.

They're not on the market, how can we know their value if they're not on the market. You're just guessing their value. If you think that Wentz is going to command a few picks including a high first rounded then I don't even know what to say to that without violating rules. Mannion isn't any closer to taking over for Goff than any other backup QB in the NFL, the fact that there's a few guys here that really like Mannion doesn't mean anything, that has absolutely zero bearing to this conversation.

Oh yeah...one showed potential in their first season playing in the NFL....The other has some experts...not me...EXPERTS...mentioning the "B" word....rhymes with "MUST"

And there it is.

All energy in Wentz love...naw...this is energy from RAMS LOVE....And a hate for losing...I can tell a bunch of you guys don't really watch the game of football. Just love the Rams...the players...Hey, I do it too....Brian Quick is still my guy...got love for Cook and Kendricks....not mad at G-Rob either...TJ Mac....Jenkins...hell, I didn't mind McLeod...but knew we could do better. Sorta where I'm at now....We can do better

I like football, I like to watch football. Do I follow every team really close? No, I don't have time for that. That doesn't mean I like losing or I'm okay with losing. I'm never okay with losing, which is why I want Goff to succeed. I'm rooting for Goff, because if he does better then we do better. I want us to do better. You're the one that's trying to convince us all that he's bad, which sets back the franchise years and means a lot of bad football still to come. Can we do better than what Goff is giving us right now and gave us last year? Of course we can, and I want that too. I want Goff to give that to us because there isn't another option if he can't. And I'm not going to get a boner every time Wentz does something because I don't give two fucks about him, he doesn't help us.

We can do better, and Goff will do that for us.