Get Off My Lawn!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know that I sound like a very worldly fellow with few illusions, but I'm getting my Old Man vibe going... You can morph this conversation into any direction that you want, but I have been shocked by products that are getting advertised on TV, Podcasts, YouTube, etc... For instance, I listen to the Downtown Rams podcast, featuring Alexis Kraft and Jake Ellenbogan. I have read where Alexis professes to be a Christian lady, but then she does these ads for ball trimmers and other products that I won't go into. Instead of hearing football discussion, I'm hearing a young woman speak of guy's stinky, unshaven balls.
Another commercial on YouTube talks about dealing with feminine hygiene odor without any subtlety, saying the things. There are also ads for male products/hygiene odors that I am not so fond of either.

When many of us grew up in the 70's and 80's, you might see a very subtle ad about hygiene products which older people understood, but often times flew right over the heads of kids waiting for Night Shadows or Mighty Mouse Cartoons after school. Today, I would be embarrassed watching or hearing these ads with young children or having my parents around. Even if Alexis wasn't a self professing Christian lady, I would be uncomfortable being in the presence of any woman that isn't my wife, telling me about such things, and she isn't the only one. The Manscape commercials are as common as My Pillow ads....

It's not that we were saints back in those days, but the language and topics discussed were much less crude in normal conversation. Yeah, I know. I can hear the "Ok, Boomer" comments coming....

eL7Ni2v.jpg

cvramsfan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hear ya. I am mid 50's and what bothers me is the timing of these ads. You could be watching a family show and then boom here come the ad. And some of the movie trailers shown while I have a child's show on for my grandchildren. geez.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I have packs of raisins and pennies ready for the trick or treaters next week. - @Loyal

bluecoconuts

Legend
American adverts were always a little weird/jarring to me, especially the medicine ones, or the ones like the old Carls Jr. ads that were trying to just lean heavily into sex. I get it, sex sells, but it was still weird for me. I got used to it for a while, but then I cut cable and I've long had an adblocker so I didn't see them anymore. Now when I do see them they're always jarring/annoying to me. Luckily with podcasts I'll just skip ahead. Honestly I stopped listening to the downtown Rams podcast because it feels like they have an ad break every 5-10 minutes, and it's such a short podcast. I know they upload every day, but I'd rather they broke it into once or twice a week so they could go longer without hearing ads. The latest 11 Personnel podcast was longer and thus had a long break and it was annoying to skip through.

Ireland's road safety ads are something of legend here though, they're fecking brutal. Imagine watching your show and being hit by one of these.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Americans are still quite prudish is all this tells me. We have a history handed down to us from Puritans, and while many of their numbers & concepts are slowly shrinking, they still have a stranglehold over much of society.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
American adverts were always a little weird/jarring to me, especially the medicine ones, or the ones like the old Carls Jr. ads that were trying to just lean heavily into sex. I get it, sex sells, but it was still weird for me. I got used to it for a while, but then I cut cable and I've long had an adblocker so I didn't see them anymore. Now when I do see them they're always jarring/annoying to me. Luckily with podcasts I'll just skip ahead. Honestly I stopped listening to the downtown Rams podcast because it feels like they have an ad break every 5-10 minutes, and it's such a short podcast. I know they upload every day, but I'd rather they broke it into once or twice a week so they could go longer without hearing ads. The latest 11 Personnel podcast was longer and thus had a long break and it was annoying to skip through.

Ireland's road safety ads are something of legend here though, they're fecking brutal. Imagine watching your show and being hit by one of these.

Holy SHIT. And I thought that my high school classroom was brutal. :wow2:

Psycho_X

Legend

Good god lol. You think it'll be some nice dramatic cuts and then BAM... car smooshes a bunch of little kids. Brutal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
There's something to be said for shock value. I clearly recall the first STD video I was subjected to when I was a young Sailor and let me tell you that shit hit home, there were some extreme cases. I don't know if they show that stuff in health class in high school but they should. Just get some images from the armed forces medical folks and make yourself a nice slideshow.

So with that Irish safety vid I am sure it is effective in what it was designed to do which is get people's attention. But yeah it is disturbing to say the least.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
So - show your age...

Who remembers "Signal 30" in high school.
Bloody and brutal

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Americans are still quite prudish is all this tells me. We have a history handed down to us from Puritans, and while many of their numbers & concepts are slowly shrinking, they still have a stranglehold over much of society.
Absolutely. Having spent 7-8 years in europe and the mideast, it's obvious we are descended morality-wise from the puritans.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, and what's with Macy's making me walk through the lady's undergarment section to get to the men's room. Sheesh.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm more offended by the Downtown Rams podcast than the ads, tbh.
Most of the Rams podcasts are just bottom-of-the-barrell.
Their in-house stuff is solid.. the 11 personnel is, by far, the best outside of that and there's nothing really close after that. Just shitty content.

Q729

Legend
I'm fine with Downtown Rams. Just a couple of people talking Rams. I really miss driving around all week streaming that radio station in STL and hearing Rams stuff without too much other stuff competing with it.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
There's something to be said for shock value. I clearly recall the first STD video I was subjected to when I was a young Sailor and let me tell you that shit hit home, there were some extreme cases. I don't know if they show that stuff in health class in high school but they should. Just get some images from the armed forces medical folks and make yourself a nice slideshow.

So with that Irish safety vid I am sure it is effective in what it was designed to do which is get people's attention. But yeah it is disturbing to say the least.
Yeah they do. My balls cringe anytime I see images of genital warts.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
For instance, I listen to the Downtown Rams podcast, featuring Alexis Kraft and Jake Ellenbogan. I have read where Alexis professes to be a Christian lady, but then she does these ads for ball trimmers and other products that I won't go into. Instead of hearing football discussion, I'm hearing a young woman speak of guy's stinky, unshaven balls.

Yeah, those ads are a little bit ridiculous and full of some of the most cringe-worthy puns, bad enough to even make my 11-year old son cringe if he were to hear them. I get that they need sponsors, but c'mon ...

There's something to be said for shock value. I clearly recall the first STD video I was subjected to when I was a young Sailor and let me tell you that shit hit home, there were some extreme cases.

You must've seen the same slide show they showed up before pulling into Subic. Egads.

And still you had guys not wrapping it up and having to go see the doc afterwards.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame

Holy shit, those commercials....

Thinking about showing one to my teenage driver son..,